'AURORA FALLS' - A Subnautica story.

Comments

• JoeakuakuJoeakuaku USA Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215614Members
    edited April 2016
    What if the Warpers aren't the most powerful? How could they bring down Aurora?

EDIT: Bugzapper, did you major twice in cliffhangers?
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    Whatever happens now will be a tragedy.

Either the frigate will go down and 200 perople get killed, minus 8 that already got eaten by Mr. Ahab. From the 192 reaining probably 191 are simply people. One of them is an a**hole...

Or the frigate makes it and will hunt and very possibly kill Selkirk. They simply outgun him.

I do not like any of these possibilities.
  • GalacaticSurvivorGalacaticSurvivor NY, United States Join Date: 2016-02-12 Member: 212919Members
    Dinkelsen wrote: »
    Whatever happens now will be a tragedy.

Either the frigate will go down and 200 perople get killed, minus 8 that already got eaten by Mr. Ahab. From the 192 reaining probably 191 are simply people. One of them is an a**hole...

Or the frigate makes it and will hunt and very possibly kill Selkirk. They simply outgun him.

I do not like any of these possibilities.
    but, Selkirk has the Valkerie Field, which will just infinitely revive him, so he won't really die.

• JoeakuakuJoeakuaku USA Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215614Members
    but, Selkirk has the Valkerie Field, which will just infinitely revive him, so he won't really die.

Didn't Tomar mention finding it?

• Brodude1234Brodude1234 Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215106Members
    I don't think he's found it yet, just that he would.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    This is getting exciting! But I can't wait to see how selkirk manages to fight of a capital class assault ship by himself. Maybe he will call his homboys, the warpers, to fuck shit up for those torgaljin bastards!
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    yeah.... I see the de Reuyter getting a nice meaty hole punched in its side..... - question is - will they have escape pods with Valkyrie fields too?
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited April 2016
    yeah.... I see the de Reuyter getting a nice meaty hole punched in its side..... - question is - will they have escape pods with Valkyrie fields too?

Hadn't thought of that, interesting possible plot twist. The trouble with the Valkyrie field according to one of the earlier chapters is that they have a chance of malfunctioning- it might well turn you inside out or with parts missing, and then repeatedly try and resurrect you afterward until it shuts down or runs out of power. A very nasty way to die...wonder if we'll see this happening.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    Joeakuaku wrote: »
    EDIT: Bugzapper, did you major twice in cliffhangers?

Funny you should mention that. It was the central theme of my doctoral thesis.

I'll have to tell you about it... Sometime. ;)

• nitay1998nitay1998 Isreal Join Date: 2016-02-21 Member: 213278Members
    Why are you writing a story plot? For fun or for the game?
    nitay1998 wrote: »
    Why are you writing a story plot? For fun or for the game?

Both, actually.

This story began life as a 2-page log entry. There wasn't any backstory at all to the game at that time, so I thought it would be fun to expand on the idea a little. One hundred and eighteen pages later, there's still a bit more to come.

Man, I love this game. Warts and all.
    Don't forget naked and covered in woad warpaint!
  • LeakingAmpsLeakingAmps Join Date: 2016-02-03 Member: 212527Members
    How long do these posts take to write?
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    Come on! Where is the giant laser beam that is going to shoot out of the sea and destroy the De Ruyter? Warpers! Wake up and defend your planet!
  • XmodAlloyXmodAlloy Missouri Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216028Members
    Had to make an account to comment on this amazing story! Glorious work and a glorious affirmation to the arrogance of Tomar. I'm sure they'll run into each other again before long with more entertaining drama. "I told you so" sounds a little too cliche, but still a good slap to Tomar's face!
    Come on! Where is the giant laser beam that is going to shoot out of the sea and destroy the De Ruyter? Warpers! Wake up and defend your planet!

Right here. ^ :)
    How long do these posts take to write?

Anywhere from half an hour to an hour and a half. Takes a bit of shuffling around occasionally.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    Selkirk is being a bit hard on himself. Tomar didn't have to turn around and shoot him for no reason, he could've said "Sure, we'll set up this outpost and then we'll bring you home".
    I feel bad for the inhabitants of the safe shallows, which are probably a complete wasteland now. And the Warpers already felt the need to defend themselves from a grave misunderstanding as Aurora entered their solar system, but now they've seen humans blatantly attack their homeland. This won't end well.
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    I agree. While he is certainly involved in the loss of the De Ruyter and her crew, I do not think he is guilty. He did not order the descent, he did not order the bombardment. He *could* have acted differntly after he was "killed" the question is, would it really have led to a different outcome? Tomar seems very one-dimensional in his thinking.

In the end it boild down to the question: "Is it ok to defend your life event if it means that 200 other people get killed, even if the majority of them posed no direct threat to you?"
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    What concerns me is who thought it was a good idea to carry around that much antimatter....
    I mean, what would one even use that for?

On wether or not it was the main characters fault, it seems to me that, even if you know what decision someone is going to make, it is still their decision. Ultimately, Tomar had nothing stopping him from just leaving. He had been warned, but he chose to ignore that. The fact that Selkirk knew that was what would happen does nothing to change that fact that the one responsible is still the one who ordered the ship to attack.
  • iSmartManiSmartMan Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215884Members
    To everyone presenting logical reasons why that wasn't the main character's fault: emotions don't always respond to logic.
  • KerbalKerbal In orbit around Jool Join Date: 2016-03-04 Member: 213834Members
    Serves Tomar *****y right!
    shame about the rest of the crew.....
    omelettes and eggs and all that.....
    Oh, yeah, I forgot. There are no laser beams. Selkirk analyzed the Aurora and discovered that gallons of seawater were actually warped into the reactor instead.
    Selkirk is being a bit hard on himself. Tomar didn't have to turn around and shoot him for no reason, he could've said "Sure, we'll set up this outpost and then we'll bring you home".
    I feel bad for the inhabitants of the safe shallows, which are probably a complete wasteland now. And the Warpers already felt the need to defend themselves from a grave misunderstanding as Aurora entered their solar system, but now they've seen humans blatantly attack their homeland. This won't end well.

Well technically the Aurora fire apon the planet with that perfect plot bridge of a miracle that happened with the solar stuff and polar ice caps. I don't think the inhabitants would have shot the Aurora if there had been no attack, even though it wasn't the Aurora's fault.
    edited April 2016
    sayerulz wrote: »
    What concerns me is who thought it was a good idea to carry around that much antimatter....
    I mean, what would one even use that for?

Fuel. De Ruyter was equipped with an antimatter/deuterium reaction drive. Kind of important to have some on board.
    Antimatter is the quick and dirty way of hitting FTL velocities. Dark matter is considerably more user-friendly.

- Just don't dump 10 cubic metres of seawater into it while the engine's still hot.