'AURORA FALLS' - A Subnautica story.

Comments

• CrypervillaCrypervilla US Join Date: 2016-02-14 Member: 213026Members
    This is amazing, and I find the random bursts of scottish amusing. Very big, developed story, and I enjoy it very much. Quick question. What happened to Ahab? He might have mentioned it, I don't recall exactly what happened to Ahab. Ahab is my fav character, btw. Even more than Selkirk. :smile: any ways, good story, keep it up I love reading this!!!
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited April 2016
    So, Torgalijin has already captured an Emperor Leviathan. Wonder what they'd use it for. The 90% of personnel killed whilst obtaining it is considered "acceptable"? That's cold.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    I've seen imperial commissars who care more about the people under their command....
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    So, Torgalijin has already captured an Emperor Leviathan. Wonder what they'd use it for. The 90% of personnel killed whilst obtaining it is considered "acceptable"? That's cold.

remember its said ''non-essential'' personnel :wink: Since this covert operation is done completely outside Earthly regulations they can afford to kill anyone they want without fear of any sanctions. Of course, yes they are very cold and it seems Torgalijin wont stop at anything to make huge profit.

Hopefully Selkirk will be able to do something about this! :smiley:
  • LeakingAmpsLeakingAmps Join Date: 2016-02-03 Member: 212527Members
    Just for the record, I am 1 of I'm sure many silent followers, checking the thread constantly for the next update. I may not post, almost ever, but I love the story! Keep it up!
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited April 2016
    There wasn't much actual work involved in bringing Pyramid Rock online again. The VAM gantry and launch pad went up in minutes. Before heading back, I added an airlock to the access corridor leading to the storage bunkers, as well as the underwater access point. This was done mainly to prevent the planet's wild weather from causing too much damage to the materials and equipment stored there, but also to prevent the facility from being completely over-run with Crawlers. I noted with some annoyance that recent events had done sod-all to control their numbers. The island was positively swarming with the little devils. Not much chance of these guys becoming extinct anytime soon, I'm afraid.

"Okay JUNO, I'm all done at Pyramid Rock. I'll be swinging by Aurora on my way home to check on its neutron accelerator silos. They might have sustained damage during the bombardment, and we don't want that djinn escaping from the bottle again. It shouldn't take too long."

"Very good, Captain. Regarding the new construction parameters for the Gen II ExoSuit... I'm afraid that it will be impossible to incorporate a full TRIDENT system. I have attempted to optimise the suit's internal systems geometry as far as possible in a number of viable configurations. Unfortunately, I would have to significantly reduce biological shielding on the reactor in order to accommodate TRIDENT's components. Shall I continue to pursue a solution, Captain?"

I rubbed my chin thoughtfully.
    Although it would be nice to have an ExoSuit equipped with TRIDENT capability, I wouldn't mind siring a relatively normal family at some stage. I can live without it.

"No, that won't be necessary, JUNO. How did integrating the conventional sonar suite turn out?"

"Extremely well, Sir. You will have access to passive and active sonar systems, with side scan and real-time terrain mapping functionalities. Dual active transducers with a five kilowatt total scalar output, multiple passive acoustic detection sensors deployed over the suit's hull. Precision 3D positioning and targeting system data are displayed as a holographic HUD terrain overlay."

"Sounds tasty. I'll definitely have some of that."

"There are a few minor integration issues still pending, Sir. However, I will have a full prototype completed by tomorrow morning, at the very latest."

"Excellent work, JUNO. Thank you. One more thing; if there's enough daylight left after the Aurora inspection, I think I'll head out and work on a couple more panels for the monument frieze. I'm beginning to feel just a wee bit superfluous around here." I chuckled.

"I can send out a drone to perform the Aurora inspection, if you wish." JUNO said helpfully.

"No, I'd prefer to have eyes on for this job, if only for my own peace of mind. She took a fair old pounding, and I want to make certain that my repairs to those silos are still holding. I'll stay in touch in case I need anything."

"As you wish, Captain. If you require someone to keep watch or render assistance in any way, please let me know. One of the android forms can be spared for your requirements, should any arise. Please stay safe and enjoy yourself, Sir."

"Will do. Thanks, JUNO."
  • DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    edited April 2016
    Snip! If you would like to offer feedback/criticism on this thread then I suggest starting a separate thread to do so, thanks! - Foxy
    It did post, mate. In fact, it's too long. Just sayin.
    edited April 2016
    It was eerily quiet aboard Aurora. The ravenous flames had died months ago. The rumbling booms of her drawn-out death throes had long since fallen silent, leaving only the faint sound of wind and waves as they hurried past, paying their final respects in hushed tones.

In time, even the Crawlers had deserted this lonely wreckage.

From what I could see, Tomar's gunners weren't aiming for Aurora herself. The salvo fell in the centre of where her bow section used to be. I can only assume that Tomar thought this area would be a likely spot to build a base. If I was drawing salvage directly from her hull plating, it might have been a reasonable choice of location. However, I had chosen to maintain a respectful distance from the wreck, mainly because of the four neutron accelerator stacks that still lay inside.

I shone my dive light over the interior of the silo compartment, checking for any additional damage that may have occurred since my last visit. Nothing seemed out of place, so I switched off the light and waited for my eyes to become accustomed to the darkness. No tell-tale blue glow from the water. A good sign. The rad counter held rock steady at 0.5 millisieverts per hour. I slipped into the water and headed for Silo One. Apart from a thin surface film of algae, the external casings appeared to be in excellent condition. The count rose steadily as I approached, topping out at 4.5 millisieverts per hour.

After thoroughly scanning the remaining three silos, a reading of 4.8 millisieverts obtained from the centre of the cluster could be considered the current maximum for the compartment. Well below the threshold for any serious level of concern. I breathed a sigh of relief. That was one less thing to worry about.

Visibility was poorer than usual around Aurora today, and I had to take particular care in skirting her demolished starboard bow section as Ulysses made way to the memorial. Most of the increased turbidity was due to last week's hurricane, although I could see large patches of water that looked to have been stirred up rather more recently. Possibly in the last hour or so, in fact. At best, I had about 20 metres of forward visibility for most of the trip alongside Aurora. The churned-up patches gradually increased in density, and appeared to be occurring more frequently. As visibility dropped to 10 metres, I activated the low frequency sonar to show me a clear path in the shallow water. A large, slow-moving object appeared on the display, roughly 150 metres to port. Most likely a Reefback, I guessed. Since we haven't obtained a fresh DNA sample from one yet, this would be a perfect opportunity. Even though they're relatively harmless, it always pays to approach them slowly. A panicked Reefback can be highly unpredictable as it flails around.

I dropped Ulysses' speed to dead slow. The sonar trace grew steadily closer. At 50 metres, the 3D image resolved into a blurry, slowly rotating tangle that looked like a ball of heavy knitting wool. At 20 metres, I could just make out a swirl of motion in the observation port, half-obscured by clouds of churned up bottom sand. I climbed out of the command chair and walked up to the forward dome. It was still hard to make out any clear details, just a cloud of silt and sand with occasional white flashes of motion. If nothing else, it was like watching a cartoon version of a fight. Nothing to see but a roiling cloud of sand and flailing limbs. A territorial battle?

Suddenly, the unmistakeable screeching roar of an enraged Reaper filled the cabin with thunder.
    From out of the murk, the Gatekeeper of Hell itself hurtled towards Ulysses, its mandibles agape.

It was Ahab.
    SNIP!

Nope. Still doesn't look like 'constructive criticism' to me. You want me to be your personal author, writing to please you alone.

I can be yours... For a price. Current AJA rates are 50 to 75 cents a word. Current wordcount: 79,203. Do the math.

I can tell you have failed to comprehend a crucial part of the story already... Page One, Sentence Three. READ IT AGAIN.

Short version: Stop spamming my story line, mate. Your ill-formed opinions of it no longer interest me.

If you think that you can do better than I have so far, either throw down what you've got or walk away.

Choose your next (few) words very carefully, my friend. You are extremely close to insulting me.

• DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    edited April 2016
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    SNIP!

Nope. Still doesn't look like 'constructive criticism' to me. You want me to be your personal author, writing to please you alone.

I can be yours... For a price. Current AJA rates are 50 to 75 cents a word. Current wordcount: 79,203. Do the math.

I can tell you have failed to comprehend a crucial part of the story already... Page One, Sentence Three. READ IT AGAIN.

Short version: Stop spamming my story line, mate. Your ill-formed opinions of it no longer interest me.

If you think that you can do better than I have so far, either throw down what you've got or walk away.

Choose your next (few) words very carefully, my friend. You are extremely close to insulting me.

But its okay for you to insult me?You have already insulted me my "friend".Saying i have no conprehension skills and my criticisms were to simply hate on you or make you write a story that i want is an insult.Get off your high horse.

Stop being so stubborn and get this simple sentence through your head. "Im not hating on you.I like your story and i simply want to give it contructive criticism"If you want to be a prick to me because you don't "feel" that my post is Contructive Criticism,you can **** off.

I dont want you to be my personal author.Im giving feedback and you're being a dick about it.I simply asked if you could make the story more subnautica because the pace is very slow right now.I might have been rude but you do not need to act like a prick.

Read sentence 3.You are the one who derailed this.I wrote 2 paragraphs of "constructive criticism"You give me 10 paragraphs on why im an idiot who doesn't read your posts and why my criticisms are shit.Do you think if i wrote a story,someone then gives me criticism(not even supposed to be rude) and i put him on full blast i could say the person derailed it? Many people write down their criticisms here and i dont think taking offence to mine,then being a jerk is not derailing this topic.

You're inability to understand simple things like constructive criticism and being polite no longer interest me.I'm not trying to take away your special seat as the "OFFICIAL FANFIC AUTHOR".Im giving you some problems i have,and you're turning it into a larger problem than it is.You started insulting me.I can insult you as well.Deal with it.

If you want to stop me from "spamming your thread",stop replying.You're the one who extended this by insulting me,you can stop it by not insulting me and talking things out,like i intended to do at the start.Maybe dont be such a ***** in the future eh?

Please refrain from personal insults - Foxy
    DD, I think I know how you lost your previous account.

Good day to you sir.
    edited April 2016
    Swahili. Must try that sometime. ;)
  • iSmartManiSmartMan Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215884Members
    edited April 2016
    SNIP!

Look, I do some editing in my free time, so trust me when I say that unless they explicitly ask for it, critiquing a writer's narrative style and storyline is one of the most insulting things you can do, ESPECIALLY when you do it publicly. Your attitude was very analytical, but since you were criticizing the things that are part of what define Bugzapper's writing style, and because it was unsolicited, the only way it could possibly be interpreted is as you shouting "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!!" If you had stopped your original post after the first two sentences, then that would have been appropriate, but the moment you went from "Could you please" to "I think you should", you insulted this story and its author in the worst way possible.

Basically, you started it, no matter how well-intentioned you were.
  • rhys_elcinsrhys_elcins UK Join Date: 2016-01-26 Member: 212148Members
    Please - forget the argument - we don't care who's right or wrong

MOAR STORIE!
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    *Yawn*, arguments.

Poor Ahab, I do hope he sires offspring of his own and that we get to see them later...assuming Selkirk didn't completely ruin the moment for him. ;)
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    One thing i do wonder (and hope) is if we'll ever learn more about Selkirk's past. Its probably not very important
    *Yawn*, arguments.

Poor Ahab, I do hope he sires offspring of his own and that we get to see them later...assuming Selkirk didn't completely ruin the moment for him. ;)

Even Reaper Leviathans need their privacy! :wink:
  • CoranthCoranth Join Date: 2015-06-02 Member: 205160Members
    "I absolutely agree, JUNO. Something definitely isn't right here. I can feel it." I muttered uneasily.

Ahab knows where you live!
    edited April 2016
    edited April 2016
    iSmartMan wrote: »
    SNIP!

Look, I do some editing in my free time, so trust me when I say that unless they explicitly ask for it, critiquing a writer's narrative style and storyline is one of the most insulting things you can do, ESPECIALLY when you do it publicly. Your attitude was very analytical, but since you were criticizing the things that are part of what define Bugzapper's writing style, and because it was unsolicited, the only way it could possibly be interpreted is as you shouting "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!!!" If you had stopped your original post after the first two sentences, then that would have been appropriate, but the moment you went from "Could you please" to "I think you should", you insulted this story and its author in the worst way possible.

Basically, you started it, no matter how well-intentioned you were.

Well,i apologise then.I didnt mean for it to sound like that as most of the fanfic i read had people doing that as well and the author was completely fine with it.I didnt know that such a small critique would be seen as offensive.

I didnt think my comment which i tried to make as friendly as possible could warrant such a response where he would insult me and act rudely.Either way i think you guys are putting the blame on me a bit too much.Both sides were wrong,me for my first post and bugzapper for his response.
    Dinkelsen wrote: »
    Please, @DefectiveDelfin, stop posting. Its a fruitless meaningless endeavor. Even if you are right, you are still wrong.

Let me explain: Even if Bugzapper introduced completely illogical things in his story like Selkirk cycling between French, German or Kizuaheli per paragraph, if he vioded laws of nature or let one the moon explode "for the lulz" so to speak, he would still be "right". Its HIS story, HIS vision, HIS creation.

Please, @Bugzapper, ignore him and continue your story. I for my part am enjoying it tremendously.

I agree with that.I mean i did say that in one of my posts.Also,i lost my account because i forgot my password and it was much easier to just make a new one.

Either way,im not going to "spam" this thread anymore so yeah,good luck on your story
    edited April 2016
    AHAB YEEEEEEEEAH!!!! Sorry. Again, my fav character... When the story said uh... something about hell (I dunno how to quote), I thought it was going to be the sea dragon, or the emperor. I'm happy it was Ahab though :smiley:
    edited April 2016
    One up, seven more to go.

"Argus One roll sequence complete. Entering Max Q, total aerodynamic stresses are currently within tolerance limits. Throttle up for orbital insertion manoeuvre begins in 120 seconds. All systems are nominal. Current altitude, 60 kilometres. Velocity, 10 kilometres per second." IANTO intoned. He was a natural born, steely-eyed Missile Man. "Argus Two construction sequence initiated. Second launch is scheduled for 0730 hours, local time."

"Outstanding. Well, at least Argus One made it through the atmosphere intact. I'm prepared to accept that the Warpers are allowing our ships safe passage, for the time being... Touch wood."

Argus One was the first in a constellation of eight planetary surveillance satellites. IANTO had laid most of the groundwork for this project, mainly because he was specifically programmed for ecological monitoring duties. JUNO was an excellent generalist, so her duties had evolved to encompass all facets of daily base operations. DIGBY still had his existential training wheels on, so to speak.

It was only natural that his android form would serve as my wingman during field operations.

It took quite some time to become accustomed to the fact that it was entirely possible to have the digital personas of all three AIs working simultaneously on a range of research projects and environmental monitoring tasks, while their android forms either worked on physical base maintenance, resource collection runs or were directly assisting me in the field. Even with all this activity going on in the background, I was still able to hold lively conversations or planning sessions with all three holographic avatars during my tea breaks, or receive some freestyle psychological counselling from JUNO via any handy Fabricator terminal as I required it. As far as I was concerned, it was the ultimate expression of multi-tasking capability. In terms of efficiency, this situation was like living in a fully populated research colony, although there was considerably more elbow room.

Ulysses hung in mid-water, currently somewhere in a quiet corner of the southern Dunes biome.

The completed ExoSuit prototype took up an entire third of Ulysses' lower deck, even with its limbs fully retracted and body curled into the launch position. I completed my final visual inspection of the vehicle from underneath, and then headed back to the upper deck. I wore a specially modified version of the reinforced dive suit, incorporating an external web of interface jacks. The dive suit was designed to make the ExoSuit precisely imitate every movement of my body, down to the tiniest twitch of a finger. I could tear a Cyclops into hanky-sized fragments if I ever had the need to. On the other end of the scale, I could pluck a fleeing Peeper out of the water without harming it, or thread an embroidery needle with its precision manipulators.

Woe betide anyone or anything that made me drop a stitch. Consider that a fair warning.

"Launch bay doors opening, Captain. Good luck."

"Thanks, DIGBY. All systems are online and are operating within nominal limits. Activate telemetry. Launching in five... four... three... two... ONE!"

The docking clamps released smoothly, allowing the ExoSuit to drift slowly towards the sea floor. I was pleased that we had managed to cancel out that initial lurch as the vehicle hit the water. A rapid drop-launch was fine for a Seamoth, owing to its small size and commensurately lower mass.
    edited May 2016
    "Okay DIGBY, you're up." Fifty metres above the seafloor, I set the suit to hover and leaned back in the pilot's seat. "For the purposes of this exercise, I have been completely incapacitated. On my mark, you are to assume remote command of the suit, navigate through this area and make a rendezvous and dock with Ulysses on the other side. Follow the 100 Celsius external temperature isotherm at a height of one metre across the lava field, maintaining a safe distance from all lava fissures and geothermal vents. Are these mission parameters acceptable, DIGBY?"

"Absolutely, Captain. Awaiting your command." DIGBY said calmly.

"Three... two... one... Mark."

The handover proceeded flawlessly. DIGBY took control of the ExoSuit and commenced descent. Watching those lava fissures drawing ever closer by the second, I couldn't help but feel a wee bit concerned by what I'd put myself in for. I kept a close eye on the external temperature reading. It was currently 65 degrees and rising steadily. Cabin temperature, 24.7 Celsius. A perfect shirt-sleeve environment.

"Captain, please be advised that I am detecting multiple large life-signs ahead. A potential threat situation has been identified. What are your orders, Sir?"

I remained silent, hoping that DIGBY would exercise his own discretion upon encountering this unexpected obstacle. That gamble paid off. I had my first close encounter with the new species DIGBY had discovered, and they didn't look even remotely friendly. Imagine a cross between a leopard seal and a Komodo dragon. Got that? Now add four flippers tipped with long talons that would disembowel a diver with a single swipe. Their dorsal surfaces were matte black, mottled in a dull-heated fiery red that was patterned to blend in perfectly with their natural environment.

In this case, their environment was red-hot pahoehoe lava and an ambient water temperature that would have killed most terrestrial life forms. Initially, I wanted to call these creatures 'Selkies', after the mythical shape-shifting seals that supposedly live on the outer isles of Scotland. However, that might convey an impression that these creatures are whimsical, charming and mischievous beasties. To prevent any possible misunderstandings in future, I'd best call them 'Lava Lizards' instead.

And for the record, they're a right vicious bunch of bastards.

There was nothing profitable to be gained from engaging the Lava Lizards. The ExoSuit's combat systems have already been taken through their full paces in no uncertain manner. After all, we are still trying to patch up the environmental damage that Tomar had caused. It doesn't look particularly civic-minded when those same 'concerned citizens' are swaggering around in powered armour picking needless fights with the local wildlife, does it?

We made rendezvous with Ulysses some time later. Both DIGBY and the ExoSuit had performed faultlessly throughout the entire exercise. Now it's time to get cracking on another three ExoSuits.
    After docking at The Broch, DIGBY and I proceeded straight to the bridge. The android avatars of JUNO and IANTO were awaiting our return. All eight Argus satellites had entered stable geosynchronous orbits without the slightest hitch, and it was time to start extracting some useful data from this operation.

"Congratulations. That was excellent work on the Argus project, IANTO. What do you have for us?"

"Thank you, Captain." IANTO said, activating the holographic map display. "As you can see, we now have access to a complete topographical image of Manannán's biomes. All currently explored territory has been highlighted, along with significant concentrations of wreckage deposited by Aurora. Recent hurricane activity has revealed the locations of a number of sunken Lifepods ejected from Aurora. Recon drones have been sent to investigate, and all pods were found to have been heavily damaged either prior to, or during the emergency ejection sequence. I regret to inform you that no physical evidence of surviving Alterra personnel has been detected at any of the sites, Sir."

I examined the map, zooming in the 3D image to get a closer look at one of the nearby Lifepod locations. There was a pod roughly 200 metres east of the old Reef Base site, and at least five more scattered within a kilometre radius of Aurora. As IANTO said, there wasn't much point in searching any of these sunken pods, even for whatever meagre salvage they might offer.

The unexplored locations were of far greater interest. There was a sort of No-Man's Land between Aurora and the Mushroom Tree Forest that I had never bothered to visit. Well, not so much 'never bothered', as it was more a case of "Do I really feel like tangling with a Reaper Leviathan today?" From what I could determine from the Argus satellite imaging obtained in this area, it was dotted with widely-spaced clumps of some kind of dark, spherical growth. Might be worth a visit. If nothing else, I would finally have some idea of what life forms that area contained.

The only other unexplored area of any significance lay two kilometres to the north of Aurora's stern. It was a deep chasm, located between the northern dunes and the Deep Grand Reef biome. Ah, yes. I clearly remember making a deliberate decision to give that area a wide berth, especially considering the volume of the unearthly roaring sounds I heard emanating from that fissure.

I quizzed JUNO about these unexplored regions. Apparently, a number of camera drones had already passed through those areas during our post-bombardment environmental survey, but contact had been inexplicably lost in all cases. The only clue I had to go on was that a powerful surge of EM energy had been detected, split-seconds before losing contact. If that was the case, I could not send any of the androids to investigate those areas. I would have to make the trip personally.

Then there was the issue of this mysterious 'asset' that Torgaljin Corp was holding. Mention was made of an artificially generated tau-muon field being used to contain whatever it was, somehow. Unfortunately, this information was well above my current pay grade. Although I have a reasonable working knowledge of particle physics, things that actually involve using spanners are much more my forte. I have absolutely no gorram idea of what particular forces or subatomic particles interacted with tau-muons, and even less of an idea of how to detect a tau-muon source. In the end, I hand-balled this one to the AIs, hoping that at least one of them would be savvy enough to crack the problem.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    I feel like Selkirk will be shocked by what he will find.