Future of the Reinforcement Program - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    I don't see why cutting off a stream of funding makes and sense other than to force our hands to buy it before its gone.

Reinforced plateaued some time ago and I think it's a negligible source of income at this point. They're a growing company and I bet that reinforced does very little to cover their expenses.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    The move is also mostly about making it more consistent. Now you can get the kodiak and reaper skins on the steam store, but the shadow skins are very hard to find on the UWE website. Its mostly about moving everything to the same place, without the need for multiple infrastructures.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    2cough wrote: »
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    I don't see why cutting off a stream of funding makes and sense other than to force our hands to buy it before its gone.

Reinforced plateaued some time ago and I think it's a negligible source of income at this point. They're a growing company and I bet that reinforced does very little to cover their expenses.

Well couple of weeks ago I made a support and silver donation, that might of paid for Flayra's lunch and my next payday I plan to purchase Shadow badge, my money no good for you now? lol

I think having both options available would be a smart choice its not hurting anyone to keep the RP open just for alittle while longer, there should be a forum consensus i.e. a Poll so UWE can get a rough idea on what the community wants than taking a forum post at face value.

If the vote is in favour of scrapping the Reinforcement Program, set a reasonable deadline maybe 3 - 6 months time for last minute stragglers, unfortunately I can't just pull $75 dollars (£47.87) out of my arse straight away. Takes time to save for these things.

• dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    HEY GUYS REMEMBER THIS :D

@Anzestral, While I would f*cking (pardon my French) love a chance to get that sexy black armor, It is my opinion (and Decoys, and mets and etc) that it should not be offered again.

In terms of pricing for content, I'd have to compare UWE to Torn Banner. I've got 800ish hours in Chivalry, and still haven't got any of the skins. I got the Kodiak pack to support Loki (you da man) and I got Reinforced to support Unknown. One thing to remember is that the Reinforced "pack" might only contain the skulk, not the gorge with its buildings or the Lerk.

Lastly, for thinner cosmetic options, I'm not really sure. We still do have workshop support for cosmetics and it seems a bit naff, but I wouldn't really mind I guess.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Well couple of weeks ago I made a support and silver donation, that might of paid for Flayra's lunch and my next payday I plan to purchase Shadow badge, my money no good for you now?

I doubt your donations made much of a dent in Flayra's lobster and champagne lunch, tbh :P
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    im generaly ok with a steam-reinforcement pack as described. as so many others i didnt buy the shadow pack for the skins, but to support uwe.
    additionaly i would suggest to use the cut down steam-pack to promote the reinforcement programm instead of killing it off.
    or maybe get a overpriced full reinforcement pack on steam.
    point is, it would be a shame for all the shadow skins that arent in the cut down steam-pack to become unobtainable for new fans and eventually disapear in 5-10 years.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Maybe limit the time to buy this deal after the new year's weekend. That way people have some excess cash. Or just keep the deal going.

So I'm assuming micro-transactions in the future is a bad idea, correct?
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    anybody remember that video where Hugh was talking about how many units of kodiak they sold?
    And he said it was a miniscule amount of money for a company like uwe and something about a "failure."
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/134888/was-kodiak-a-failure-in-your-eyes/p1

In the video, Hugh states that the $12,566 revenue from kodiak at the time equated to basically "walking home without any revenue at all." Reinforced was stuck at like 249 k - 253 k for MOOOOONTHS and has only recently bumped over 260K. That's good, but compared to the numbers at first, that's a plateau.

They've probably made less from reinforced than they have from kodiak since the kodiak dlc was released. So @Yojimbo‌, your donations are appreciated I'm sure, but are raindrops in an ocean as far as expenses for a company the size of UWE. If kodiak was a "failure" because the profitability wasn't where they wanted it to be, I feel like they'd only be trying to change up reinforced because it has hopped into the same boat. I don't have any problems w/ that.
    Venatos wrote: »
    it would be a shame for all the shadow skins that arent in the cut down steam-pack to become unobtainable for new fans and eventually disapear in 5-10 years.

Isn't that the point, though? Similar to the black armor, they would be exclusive to earlier supporters. Makes them more special IMO, and I'm sure new things will become available to new players as the game ages. Hence the sort of changes I think we're seeing lately.

Early birds get the worms!

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Best way to make dlc armors more interesting is to allow greater marine customization like other games such as Warframe and Halo.

a2Beq55.png

It'll drive some people to collect all types of armor to show off their pro ns2 swag.
  • MewSkittyMewSkitty Join Date: 2012-12-01 Member: 173805Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Or maybe make like different prices for the deal?
    Like $6 for skulks
    $8 for skulks and lerks
    Or $6 for each individual's
    So on and so forth

xxx
  • Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Or maybe make real content ? Like an real expansion ?
    Something useful for the game, for a change ?
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    Or maybe make real content ? Like an real expansion ?
    Something useful for the game, for a change ?

Need cash to be able to do that.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2014
    well there is stuff coming, it just takes time as it is a massive undertaking
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Loki wrote: »

Are we going to be teased over the XMAS period loki? :D

• HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Asraniel wrote: »
    The move is also mostly about making it more consistent. Now you can get the kodiak and reaper skins on the steam store, but the shadow skins are very hard to find on the UWE website. Its mostly about moving everything to the same place, without the need for multiple infrastructures.

I see your point and it makes sence. But its not the only point we discuss here. If so you could just take the ShadowPack into Steamstore for 75$, i don't have any problem with that...
    But 6$ for those skins are totally unfair compared with the DiamondBadge-Owners... And we also woud loose a bit of uniqueness, not because it's on Steamstore, because it's just really cheap then...

BTW: What about Shadow bundle with a NS2 copy for a friend? Then u almost can sell it for 75$ on Steamstore...
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Hoeloe, you can still buy a Game Director badge and be a super-duper unique if you want. It will also beat a Black ops for sure!
    edited November 2014
    METROID wrote: »
    Hoeloe, you can still buy a Game Director badge and be a super-duper unique if you want. It will also beat a Black ops for sure!

I think they should entice someone to buy it by including a super shiny silver / chrome marine skin with weapons to boot, the l33t of the l33t!
  • HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sorry for feeding the trolls... Can u get constructive now? I just told you my thoughts...
    edited November 2014
    Not much more you can get constructive about, the consensus is either leave RP as it, extend it, close it down all together or keep a happy medium with $6 shadow pack proposal, check out the poll about allowing poll votes. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/136011/should-we-have-a-polling-option-available-for-us-to-use#latest

If it goes through we can make a poll on Reinforcement Programme and fine tune what UWE, CDT and the community would like done about it.

This thread was to generate discussion on said topic which it has. Action about it would most likely take place on another thread. Does that satisfy you now?
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    Does that satisfy you now?

Sounds much better, thank you. So I understand you correctly that you just watch what happens next? In the meantime, however, we can still discuss here, share our opinions and maybe bring up some other options...
    edited November 2014
    Not sure if sticking a $75 dollar ShadowPack on steamstore would go down well unless it involved NS2 with it.

Reason for this is when NS2 was retailed for cheap, people that didn't know about it and probably thought "well it doesn't cost so much if it turns out to be a bad game I wouldn't of lost so much money, when they discover how much potential the game has and how good it can be, they are probably more willing to donate that extra for it to see the game go far.

If I saw a game retailing for $75 even with shadow pack included I would want to do alot of research on it & reviews first because lets face it, its not aswell known as other games for example Battlefield 4, Call of Duty, Fifa 2014 etc etc where you could just ask your friends what its like as they would of most likely played them games.

So you're less likely to take a risk on dropping that amount of money (this mainly applies to new players, players that already own and know the game it wouldn't be so bad.)

Do you get what I mean? It's abit of a sticky situation with no clear answer and solution in sight.
    edited November 2014
    You missunderstood me. I thought to add a copy of NS2 for a friend (gift) but still sell it as a DLC. Retailing a Shadowpack, like other games do with Deluxe version, woud not work, thats right. And it's just a idea, not a solution.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2014
    Best way to make dlc armors more interesting is to allow greater marine customization like other games such as Warframe and Halo.
    a2Beq55.png
    It'll drive some people to collect all types of armor to show off their pro ns2 swag.
    And maybe one day we will be able to look back on these dark days through rose tinted glasses- errr- visors :P
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2014
    Sorry for the double post, but this post needs more 'agree' and 'awesome's.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited November 2014

Careful there loki, it almost sounds like you are trying to start some hype.
  • G_of_the_JG_of_the_J Join Date: 2013-08-12 Member: 186764Members
    Uwe should remember that forum ppl are just minor portion of the community. There can be lots of angry customers if you release 75e stuff (or part of it with 6e). I can hear the Cry already. As for me, i dont care. I have never bought useless dlc's that dont add anything to the game.

I wonder how high would Black armor price go if there were somekind of trading system? I would bet 400 euros and above. Considering Onos badges was sold out immediately.

Make a trading system. Add more useless stuff, badges, cards, skins, taunts, Gorge cute animations, whatever. Take a slice from every traded item. Add option to play vanilla skins. Profit.
    coolitic wrote: »

Careful there loki, it almost sounds like you are trying to start some hype.
    Hype? HYPE? DID SOMEONE SAY HYPE?!!?!!?!?!!?!?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    G_of_the_J wrote: »
    Uwe should remember that forum ppl are just minor portion of the community. There can be lots of angry customers if you release 75e stuff (or part of it with 6e). I can hear the Cry already.

It can be argued that those who have donated to reinforced received an email. I am seeing names in this thread I haven't seen in well over a year showing that to most likely be true.

So the people who care the most will post. If they don't care why are they whining.
  • G_of_the_JG_of_the_J Join Date: 2013-08-12 Member: 186764Members
    ^I read uwe post againg. So they have emailed ppl. Good.

Im just saying my opinion. No need for more bad reputation to uwe or ns2. I always thought that RP was special thing and i appreciate much those ppl that donated. Keep RP (costs cant be very high can they?) and release other stuff.
    So the people who care the most will post. If they don't care why are they whining.
    Well language differences, no forum account, junk mail filters block email, etc etc. They only see shadow dlc in steam, now at price x. Wait what i payed 75 for that, what is this?!!!!111 Aaaand the shitstorm is ready.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    G_of_the_J wrote: »
    Uwe should remember that forum ppl are just minor portion of the community. There can be lots of angry customers if you release 75e stuff (or part of it with 6e). I can hear the Cry already. As for me, i dont care. I have never bought useless dlc's that dont add anything to the game.

I wonder how high would Black armor price go if there were somekind of trading system? I would bet 400 euros and above. Considering Onos badges was sold out immediately.

Make a trading system. Add more useless stuff, badges, cards, skins, taunts, Gorge cute animations, whatever. Take a slice from every traded item. Add option to play vanilla skins. Profit.

Everyone who donated to the reinforcement program got an e-mail linking the news and requesting our opinion. IE it's not buried on the forum in obscurity.

Black armour won't be sold or traded or in any way made available to people who didn't donate before. That's that. I would have bought onos tier but was too late (I was away when RP was announced). No reason I can see why that couldn't be made available again as a larger run, but as it also had things like 'bot named after you' and the paper copies of artwork, not sure how viable that would be. Probably still worthwhile, but would take some time to fulfil all the orders for it.