Future of the Reinforcement Program - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• WebtranceWebtrance US Join Date: 2013-11-08 Member: 189165Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As long as the Shadow tier stays just as black armor stays. Taking a small part of the Shadow tier for resale..okay by me. Why is it that current Shadow tier 'supporters' are being "...emailed a complimentary Steam key for the Reinforcement Pack", if it contains the same stuff we received in the $75 Shadow tier? To give as a gift maybe?
  • WoehlerWoehler Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188684Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    As one who have supported the reinforcement program. Then I don't care about the skins. And I think it would be great to make a DLC like reaper.
    In regards to the future of NS2. Then I would in generally like to see improvements. But they are coming thanks to the CDT team.
    Beyond that I would like to see an expansion of the franchise. Natural Selection can be so much more than just a stand alone game based on a mod. So far NS2 is a great FPS game. But I would like to see the game evolve into a franchise with several games in the same universe. Along with history and stories. Just as warhammer, halo and warcraft.
    Also, don't forget Gorge plushies.
  • AussieKidAussieKid Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154896Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    I think this is a good idea, but you need to give the new DLC reinforcement pack a badge of some kind. Maybe use the blue one? People want to show-off in game on the scoreboard that they have paid for DLC.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    True wrote: »
    No.

DLC, especially the fluff kind, is the death of this industry. Profit over pleasure is the new mantra, and I know I'm not the only one completely done with it. Even something minor like this creates the feeling for a new player that one can't buy a game and get the entire experience, one must shell out even more money. And for those there since the beginning, it seems like begging more nickels and dimes at best.

If you stop the program, just end it.

I see you disagreed with me, I am assuming based on my support of it as DLC.

I agree with your sentiment about dlc for new content like a new gamemode. This is a skin though. You are not missing out on anything if you don't have it. If you do have it, you don't even get to see it. You can experience it if other people have it, but most already do. What experience are you missing out on?

If this goes to DLC I don't see it making much money. A good portion of the active player base already has the shadow skins. The benefit I see for this going to a steam DLC is for it to be visible. New players, yes the few who join us, if they wanted shadow skins they can't easily find them in their current place.
    As a steam dlc it becomes more visible, hopefully bringing in some nickels and dimes. Nickels and dimes to support ns2 is a lot more than nothing.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I don't feel the need to keep any of it exclusive. Sell all of them.

I paid to support the game's development, and if selling all of those assets in a more streamlined way will help the game's development, that's entirely in the spirit of my original contribution.
  • PuphBallPuphBall Join Date: 2013-06-06 Member: 185488Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    As a 75$ tier owner, why do the babbler icons have to go exclusive again? I really liked them. I feel like my babbler per dollar ratio has not been met :P

Seriously though, I'm all for this. It's a well thought out idea and it's nice for people to have access to some minor shadow content at a big discount. I just wonder why the babbler icons have to go along with the RP program, you know? Why not just keep it up for any new-found, deep-pocketed veterans.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Sounds like a good idea, but does this mean there won't be shadow badges/gorge skins for the people who donated anymore? If you have to remove my shadow perks, I understand

Woops, to clarify, under this propsal all existing perks would absolutely be maintained. No one would lose abything at all.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm fine with having the shadow tier being split up, but if it is successful and more shadow edition content is created then it would be nice if shadow tier and above owners could get them as part of currently standing program. All you'd need to do is update the dlc to include them. (aka shadow fade/onos)

Though I doubt there will be much revenue change without the game going f2p.
  • StexeStexe Join Date: 2006-12-25 Member: 59227Members, Constellation
    Oh, and what about giving old Constellation members a special in-game icon? Still waiting on that one years later... :-P
  • AmadAmad Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186626Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I also hope you guys would eventually release the shadow onos / fade for the people who bought the badge. I believe some people from CDT actually promised that they'd be released at some point.

Not that it's a big deal anyways, the proposed suggestion is fine as it is.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    https://trello.com/c/aunXNiyL/650-shadow-fade-and-onos-models
    Not a promise but it's planned. May or may not be done or finished.
  • eHCookieeHCookie Join Date: 2002-12-24 Member: 11480Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    TThisis a poorly written post that just comes accross as a lazy effort to selling old rope, you are developers, go and develop something
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    The full set of alien would have been an option. But that would have cost money. Existing shadow tier owners would have gotten it for free of course. So to generate so income, a dlc would have been needed, that dlc had to include all alien skins, for cheaper than 75$. On a personal level i would have been fine myself wih an alien skinpack on steam in that pricerange. Unlike black armor, no exclusivity was ever promised on the shadow skins.
    that said, i voiced my opinion a few times because i believe that some people would have a big problem with the idea that somebody could buy the skins they have for 6$ instead of 75$. The badge and other stuff would have stayed exclusive, but some people might still get angry. So in that scenario there doesnt seem to be a viable way to do shadow fade and onos.
    i dont speak for the cdt, but maybe that gives you some insight.
  • MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2014
    Though I doubt there will be much revenue change without the game going f2p.

Go for it and NOW :p. Then new deal in Christmas with classic pack ... the long waited f2p with server variable option sv_skins false/true. I don't know but there is hard times inc (already is, you can look ensl site), evolve from Left 4 Dead creators & overwatch from blizzard...
  • RedShadowRedShadow Join Date: 2013-09-21 Member: 188386Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I bought the Shadow tier and I have no problem even if you guys release all the skins for free for regular users. I mostly bought the tier to help the developpers, and I can care less if what I bought $75 is now $6 or $0. We knew this would happen eventually so... it there even a problem here?

Now if you devs wanna make money from this, and sell all the tiers for a low price, why not. $6 sounds good enough to me. Either way, I have no problem. At all. Look, these skins exists, they were made so it would be a waste to either not release them for everyone, or make everyone pay too much.

I consider it's like Killing Floor DLCs skins. They are first expensive for novelty, and then they end up costing nothing. Just releasing everything for free would be I'd be doing.
  • jhohcablejhohcable Michigan Join Date: 2014-11-16 Member: 199677Members
    I played NS since NS1 on Half Life 1. I bought NS2 for me and my brother. I think I bought some expansion, with the special marine skin and stuff. Let me make that clear, I think I bought it, I'm not fully sure if I did buy that. I'm kinda sure though. Love the game, NS1 and NS2. Love the work you put into it.

I want to state this. If you release official DLCs on steam, I will buy them, with money. I'd buy micropayment stuff. I'd buy lvl boosters, bonus skins, that kind of stuff.

What I would like is this: some kind of coop version. Left 4 Dead variety, whatever. Something that lets me and other pals or pugs play against some bots. Four marines vs a swarm of aliens, or 4 aliens vs a swarm of marines, whatever. I would pay full price for this. I can't speak for anyone else, only myself. But I speak for myself when I say I would absolutely pay more money for this.

For the work you already did, you guys deserve a lot of money. I think you guys don't get a lot of money because you don't exploit the modern moneymaking techniques (hat fortress exploitation stuff, micropayment things, lvling up, etc).

Those are just my thoughts.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    As a onos tier supporter, you have my concent to make a reinforced steam DLC pack.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited November 2014
    as a special edition supporter you have my support to go one up and release a reinforcement pack with the black ops marine model, a different black ops texture skin, completely new shoulder pad, shadow skulk and expanded soundtrack. an alternate rifle model (from ns2 combat).

. stealth (shadow) marine (reskinned black ops)
    . standard shoulder decal
    . shadow skulk
    . ns1 rifle
    . expanded soundtrack.

this would sell even better. i would buy it
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I fully support these proposals.

I also want to thank you for the way you went about communication of this news!

Two thumbs up here.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    Realy good idea! Im not even using my shadow skulk model. Pr0 knows that thay should hit it first! more ppl should be able to use thouse great looking models.
  • EpicEpic Join Date: 2005-03-12 Member: 45018Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've been a supporter for an amazing percentage of my life now. Anything you make I will buy. But I would like to see it made as easy as possible for new players to enjoy the game and enhance their experience through $1-$10 add-ons. The Reaper Style packs seem perfect to me. For less than $10 I can get cool stuff, show support and keep NS development going. So if those packs keep coming I will keep buying(and hopefully a lot of others will too).

But here's a thought; Name the patch that you are working on and get us to pre-fund it with pre-orders. i.e. - "Blue Steel Patch 278 is coming, pre-order now to help us do X, X, X to NS2 and get the new Blue Steel skins for the low price of $5. Or wait till the patch is released and get the skins for $10"

That way you front load the cash and give people a pretty nice benefit for early support. But those that come in later can still get the cool stuff if they would like. If you can net at least 20,000 early takers then you have $100k to work with and hopefully another $50-100k will come in after the release through people buying the "premium patch DLC".

But I'm supportive no matter which way it goes. THANKS FOR A GREAT GAME!!! /Epic
  • PandoursPandours Paris Join Date: 2014-11-16 Member: 199679Members
    edited November 2014
    Hi,

I've bought the deluxe edition, support the RP and even NS2 Combat to support the modders. But I have never told you how much I love the game.
    NS2 is clearly one of my favorite game of all time, and it is still the case 2 years after the release. You have done such an amazing job, the community has done the rest and gave me tons of awesome moments.

NS2 is difficult, but has so much depth, so much fun and even with 149 hours on steam I have still so much to learn... Yeah i'm still a noob. UW I really wanna thank you.

For your concern about a DLC RP it's totally fine for me. After all, I and I'm sure many people trough the RP wanted to help you, to thank you. So what's the matter ?
    If there is other people on steam directly that want to do the same, great !

The community of NS2 is great because she's welcoming and helpful, even during the Free weekend :D.
    Let's welcome steam players that want to help UW.

Many thanks and best of luck for your new game.

By a french student, sorry for all the mistake i could have done.
  • bacardibacardi Deutschland Join Date: 2014-09-22 Member: 198675Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I´m also support with the Shadow-Tier and play since the early NS1 days. I dont pay 75€ for the shoulderads or the shadowskulk but rather to support you an the Game and as a little "Thank you" for hundreds and hundrets hours of fun playing NS1+2. In my oppinion the Skins (Black Armor, Shoulder Pads & Shadowlifeforms) are a sign for even this core-player believe in this Project as noone else did. The DLC looks okay for me in consideration of the fact. Just make the best for you and the game, i trust you in this case.
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    With the Cute Gorge DLC coming up, this content could be split to make up a part of the Mendasp and Matso DLC's, which don't have any yet.
  • STARSBarrySTARSBarry Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67671Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think its fine, just one thing why is there no shadow fade/onos and why is this not a perfect chance to add them, I mean id buy the shadow pack on steam just to complete the set :D
  • MortemMortem Finland Join Date: 2013-11-16 Member: 189406Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks good, no resisting here. Pack is welcomed.