Future of the Reinforcement Program - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Wisp wrote: »
    It was a single year of free updates.
    I was speaking about the entirety, hence why i mentioned maps and said "to date" and why there are separate bullet points, sorry if that wasn't clear. ;)
    Wisp wrote: »
    The language is fairly explicit in the promotional video. The main incentive for donating was to see further content updates.
    You're right it was explicit - but you are assuming everyone shares that specific incentive. I did it for both reasons mentioned in the video :
    "The Reinforcement program allows you to decide how much of that cost we make back, and whether major free expansion updates will continue."

And considering the supportive comments in this thread, I don't think I am alone. Which is really cool
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    edited November 2014
    We've heard a lot about people being positive about this potential. Anyone really against it? I don't want to start arguments - you're entitled to your opinion. I'm just curious as to the negative opinions and what could be done to make it better / more appealing!
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Please leave it running for atleast 6 months longer, this maybe a small percentage of players but recently I have begun donating which I never done in my entire life (apart from charities) to NS2 which I've never done to any other game before! After 10 long years I still love NS and decided it was time to give something back to you guys!

I'd like to continue supporting (I'm up to Silver badge so far, Gold is next, then Diamond then Shadow!!) Maybe I'm just a badge whore but maybe people of the community would be like minded and start doing the same!

Maybe spice up the Reinforcement program alittle bit and add a few Assault rifle skins! or even better add the LMG from NS2:Combat!
  • 101th101th Russian Federation Join Date: 2014-06-17 Member: 196588Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    give me black armor skin, i'll buy it immediately :)
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • LuchsLuchs Switzerland Join Date: 2014-07-23 Member: 197569Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    On topic: Whatever floats your boat; I paid the money to support the game. The rewards are nice and all, but I never considered or expected them to be exclusive.

A word of warning: The moment anything does become exclusive, you're possibly opening a new market for it which you're no longer a part of. If a gambling fellow decides to spend $50 on fifty one-dollar support "purchases" now, they'll end up with redemption codes for 50 soon-to-be-exclusive supporter badges which they can sell for more, and UWE won't see any of that extra profit.
  • AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2014
    moultano wrote: »
    I don't feel the need to keep any of it exclusive. Sell all of them.

I paid to support the game's development, and if selling all of those assets in a more streamlined way will help the game's development, that's entirely in the spirit of my original contribution.

Exactly this... If everyone would stop beeing butthurt about exclusive content they own it would help the game and the developers the most. It doesn't go into my head how the same people ( @METROID‌, @RedShadow‌ ) who awesomed moultanos post can disagree with my posts and still say strictly NO to making black armor availbale as dlc. You guys have some serious problems with your logic...
  • METROIDMETROID Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165171Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Anzestral wrote: »

I paid to support the game's development, and if selling all of those assets in a more streamlined way will help the game's development, that's entirely in the spirit of my original contribution.

Exactly this... If everyone would stop beeing butthurt about exclusive content they own it would help the game and the developers the most. It doesn't go into my head how the same people ( @METROID‌, @RedShadow‌ ) who awesomed moultanos post can disagree with my posts and still say strictly NO to making black armor availbale as dlc. You guys have some serious problems with your logic...
    I never said I do not want to buy a black armor, I never said I want to buy a black armor, but you have to read more about NS2's development process. UWE said, Black armor will be exclusive only for Special edition buyers ONLY.

So,
    1. Forget about Black armor. UWE just won't break their promise.
    2. Let's hope that UWE won't trash any other things by making them exclusive.

• AnzestralAnzestral Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185327Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2014
    You know what... Do whatever you want. I am out of this.

Edit: thx for the awesome METROID

Just one thing I noticed right after writing this post. You four guys ( @METROID, @d0ped0g‌, @ceribik‌, @RapGod‌ ) who seem to disagree the most with my opinion to open all content or none seem to all own the special edition that you defend to stay exclusive by all means, but only two of you have donated in the reinforcement program at all by getting the first tier. Congratz guys for having the most solid base to argue against my opinion...
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    Pretty simple logic really - Black armour was strictly limited edition whereas shadow skulk was not.

http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/ns2-alpha-date-set-2/
    "It will no longer be available after this date, ever"

That's just one thing I could find doing a quick google search. I'm sure they stated it elsewhere, including on the original shop page.

It would be pretty shitty of UWE to go back on their word when it was so explicitly stated that the skin would never be available again - especially considering the preorderers were a fairly integral part of making the game possible by supporting the game in its early stages of development.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2014
    whatever keeps the player count at a playable level
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    Black armour looks so l33t :)
  • ZowartZowart Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187745Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think allowing limited skins for sale like the other DLC content would be OK.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    (I'm up to Silver badge so far, Gold is next, then Diamond then Shadow!!) Maybe I'm just a badge whore but maybe people of the community would be like minded and start doing the same!

I did it the other way, started at Shadow (onos had sold out :( ) and then got Diamond -> Supporter :)

And then they limited the number of badges shown on the scoreboard to 3 (RP badges at least). Grrr.

edited November 2014
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    (I'm up to Silver badge so far, Gold is next, then Diamond then Shadow!!) Maybe I'm just a badge whore but maybe people of the community would be like minded and start doing the same!

I did it the other way, started at Shadow (onos had sold out :( ) and then got Diamond -> Supporter :)

And then they limited the number of badges shown on the scoreboard to 3 (RP badges at least). Grrr.

Haha yeah well if they do decide to shutdown RP soonish I might rush out and grab Shadow badge just incase, so I can get all the benefits that offers, hope they keep it running abit more longer though as in the past I couldn't afford to make all them donations whereas my new job now allows me to splash out on my favourite PC game of all time :D
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I thought you were just going to make the whole pack purchasable for $6

And I thought the whole point of reinforcement was to help extend developing of ns2.. I don't *think* anyone who donated cares if others players got their shadow stuff now

Anyway do whatever, or make a new pack. Just make sure that some of the profits go to the community dev team for all their testing and work, they spend hundreds of hours on this stuff still to a pretty small playerbase it's very dedicated
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    ezekel wrote: »

And I thought the whole point of reinforcement was to help extend developing of ns2.. I don't *think* anyone who donated cares if others players got their shadow stuff now

Anyway do whatever, or make a new pack. Just make sure that some of the profits go to the community dev team for all their testing and work, they spend hundreds of hours on this stuff still to a pretty small playerbase it's very dedicated

I believe it would go to the CDT. As it says:
    The ongoing sales of NS2: RP and NS2 on Steam are what allow UWE to provide the tangential support that CDT needs to get updates into your hands.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Nordic wrote: »
    ezekel wrote: »

I believe it would go to the CDT. As it says:
    The ongoing sales of NS2: RP and NS2 on Steam are what allow UWE to provide the tangential support that CDT needs to get updates into your hands.

It goes to UWE to cover the costs of supporting the CDT, not to the CDT itself.
  • DarkZenithDarkZenith Join Date: 2014-02-15 Member: 194012Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I, personally, think that it's a good Idea! (giving the basic stuff and not the shadow)
    Anyway, keep doing amazing stuff ^^
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    edited November 2014
    d0ped0g wrote: »
    Pretty simple logic really - Black armour was strictly limited edition whereas shadow skulk was not.

http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/ns2-alpha-date-set-2/
    "It will no longer be available after this date, ever"

That's just one thing I could find doing a quick google search. I'm sure they stated it elsewhere, including on the original shop page.

It would be pretty shitty of UWE to go back on their word when it was so explicitly stated that the skin would never be available again - especially considering the preorderers were a fairly integral part of making the game possible by supporting the game in its early stages of development.

Thank you. Let's close that discussion.

Anyway, earlier I suggested having more micro-transaction. Different visors (glasses could be for lawlz), helmets, vests, maybe different placements and types of ammo packs (on the model), and some stuff like that may work. Of course, it'd take a while to make these skins. And I'd release most, if not all, at once so no one feels like they missed a cooler skin.

Can that work? Major flaws? I think you'd get a steady income (maybe it'll be small, but it'll add up and at least be something). Not sure if the cost of doing this would be too much, though. Ideas?

Edit - not going to be baited by that disagree
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Hi,

Sharing my experience. I only take facts in there and 2 opinions.

The game :
    NS started as mod. It lasted approximatively 10 years (wow!) with ups and downs.
    I played NS and / or Combat like 12hours during the week (Mon - Sun). And it's conservative.
    let's say I didn't play every week. So 52 - 10 weeks (holidays, stuff etc)
    This goes to : 42 * 12 hrs * 10 years = 5040
    Then I played NS2 for +1800 hours

It goes to 6840 hours played on one single game concept so far, and counting.
    (I do not play other games online. If i get an FPS I play solo and that's it -> 59 or 69€ for 10 to 20 hrs boooooh!!!!).

The price :
    NS mod = Free
    NS2 = 19.90$ (if i remember correctly when i bought it)
    Onos badge = 300$
    => 20 + 300 = 320

I have a server so i add it just to see
    A server for one year = 380 € (475$)
    => 20 + 300 + 475 = 795$

My opinion :
    Simple: 320 / 6840 = 0.0467$ per HOUR played
    +Server : 795 / 6840 = 0.1162$ per HOUR played
    And I'm not counting the hours doing mapping and graphics for the mod. Find cheaper!

I do say : "If you can find a game that is more interesting (to my taste) than NS1/2 and i get to play it on a regular basis that will break that record ($/hours), i give you 1000 bucks!". Ok i'm not taking a risk there, we all get the point. Thats not any regular shooter that can do that.

Even role playing games like The Elder Scrolls series (from Baldur's gate to Skyrim) all added together do not beat that score (hours played). And I am a great looter/farmer (Ever seen a Wizard buffed with heavy drugs carrying 2 tons worth of armor and weapons in his pockets ?).

@UWE even if i can disagree on some particular matter or have rants here and there : Thank you very much.

Opinion 2:
    To those who want more personalization stuff to be available while it was only for a special offer. UWE can't change that. It would break the deal with those who already subscribed. And eventually expose UWE on the legal area. Never a good idea. You want more ? : Mod it, promote it, or help those who do so.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2014
    Go for it UWE. I love my shadow stuff, but it shouldn't exclude those who don't have $75 to dump into support. Widen the net and get more people looking l33t ;-) I want me a squad of Elite Assault Marines taking down a hive.

EDIT: typo.
  • Lefty_GunsLefty_Guns Join Date: 2005-02-27 Member: 42683Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I say go for it, it's just some flair after all. It's more important to sustain the game, company, and future NS possibilities in my eyes.
  • NovoReiNovoRei US Join Date: 2014-11-18 Member: 199718Members
    Break down and itemize everything (all badges, all skins, etc).
    There is a blatantly perceived value for these items. A steep package or exclusivity hinders the opportunity to monetize on them. Accessibility is more important than exclusivity.

Player support recognition through exclusivity? Years of exclusivity, continued game development, what more they can ask? Will they always play this game? No. Should new players be locked? No. Unless it's certain NS2 will fade away and it really doesn't matter.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Turbine wrote: »
    It's cool.

I just can't help but think that it was the engine where UWE went wrong. Very few people I know can run NS2 play-ably, let alone decently. A quad core Intel cpu (2008+) and a half decent video card should have been enough.

I ran the game on a E8400 (3Gz dual core) with a decent graphics card GTX650 (the card was about $100 18 months ago I think). I have 8G ram (that helped) running Win7. The game is very playable (until late game and when lots of things happen on screen - 24 player servers are a no no). It isn't 100fps all the way, but I have fun.
    PS. I am not totally disagreeing with you, but just want to point out the game does run on an older system sort of OK (low graphics settings and not 1080p).

• deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited November 2014

i would actually love to see the black ops model but with a different texture to the special edition version released as a dlc, its a sure way to make some money and there are few people left playing with it and i have the special edition

i would actually love to see the black ops model but with a different texture to the special edition version released as a dlc, its a sure way to make some money and there are few people left playing with it and i have the special edition

Black ops model 90% same as regular marine model, the new Elite assault marine model much better, imho.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't see why cutting off a stream of funding makes and sense other than to force our hands to buy it before its gone.
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    I don't see why cutting off a stream of funding makes and sense other than to force our hands to buy it before its gone.

This is how I feel now lol, I feel rushed being able to finally afford making a Shadow donation with all the goodies it brings before a closing date is announced even though Hugh said basically they're not doing anything for the meantime about it, I would of liked to buy it just after XMAS time, since all my monies gonna go on presents :'( might ask the girlfriend for a shadow badge for XMAS lol.

• HoeloeHoeloe Switzerland Join Date: 2014-03-02 Member: 194487Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    For me it's okay selling a Reinforced DLC, but the only problem I see, it's not fair that you are selling 120% of the Diamond Badge (40$) for 6$... Maybe split it up, 6$ for Assult skin, 6$ for the Shadow skluk and no badges or shoulder Pad. Or spend the Diamonds-Owner something to compensate.

And it woud be nice if u keep the Reinforced Program running, even if it's "not realy in use anymore". I boght the game for 2$ in a Humble and played it over 900h now, thats why i donated those 75$ 2 weeks ago cause i never played a fullprice game for so long.