NS2+ (The mod previously known as Custom HUD)

Comments

• vartijavartija Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60193Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Mendasp wrote: »
    I've released a patch that allows hiding alien viewmodels, but there's downsides, as it's not displaying the viewmodel, you won't know when you have enzyme, umbra, are cloaked, are under scan radius... etc. Most of those will be immediatly obvious to seasoned players, but if you have doubts, noone is forcing you to use the option.

It also hides exo health and overheat bar.
    RisingSun wrote: »
    Marines have the same notifications.
    With the exception of aliens having these timings always basically same time (especially lerks). GJ being able to miss them! :D
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    It is all moot anyway, it is too hard and complex for Mendasp to figure out.
    Yep, I made this mod for people like you that know, respect and appreciate my work.

Thanks for your support.

I love your work, but you dont agree with this quality of life feature and so will not do it. You serve a community with your mod and it isnt "What Mesdasp thinks best mod".

Thank you for being an unbiased modder!

Has NS2+ gotten so big not to fail? I make requests from Mendasp and ask questions, but it's undeniably still his mod to do whatever he wants to do with and unless it interferes with league play, he always has the freedom to deny or add feature requests.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Fiskbit wrote: »
    @Mendasp: Would reusing the research notification be time-consuming? Your point is a good one; I understand that development time is limited and appreciate that time-consuming features can be too costly.

Everyone else: The first replies amount to "Why does this make sense?" and I and others answered them by showing how it's consistent with the game's design and existing features. Then people asked "Why would you want this?" and we gave specific stories or explained how it could be useful for pub players or when players aren't all at the same res level. Now you're telling us to play better. Talk about a dismissive community that lacks empathy.

"Why would you ever want to disable the view model? Play better!"

But it's not consistent with the game's design and existing features. You reference marine research notifications which are exactly that - research notifications. Something that is begun with team res and outside of your control, and the notification is there to inform you that that thing that is outside of your control is completed. Lifeform timing is not outside your control and the information is already being displayed on your HUD to inform you that the option is available - which is the point that we keep making. Furthermore, if this is such an issue to you, then set an alarm for 3 minutes after the game starts. You'll be at or close to lerk res then.
    It is all moot anyway, it is too hard and complex for Mendasp to figure out.
    Yep, I made this mod for people like you that know, respect and appreciate my work.

Thanks for your support.

I love your work, but you dont agree with this quality of life feature and so will not do it. You serve a community with your mod and it isnt "What Mesdasp thinks best mod".

Thank you for being an unbiased modder!

He's "serving the community"? No, he's taking time out of his day to do something that he enjoys sometimes, coding. Whether his coding aligns with your views of what should be in his mod is not the issue here. To be perfectly blunt, @Mendasp is about the most unbiased person out there and deserves all the awesomes people can give him. If he says its too much work for him to do right now, it probably is. Anyways, he already offered to put it in as an option were someone else to code it, if it's so easy and simple to do, why don't you do it?
  • FiskbitFiskbit Join Date: 2013-08-27 Member: 187099Members
    @Golden: They both alert players to the exact same thing: timers they have limited control over have expired and they are now able to buy things. They're both similarly outside of one's control. Especially for early game marine tech and for alien lifeform timings, it's the ability to hold the team's resource towers that determines how fast that timer ticks. Yes, one is "research" and one isn't, but that's a technicality that is largely irrelevant to everyone but the commander.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    *snip*. Don't be a jerk to other community members. -Decoy
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited September 2014
    *snip*

Thanks for not reading my post again.

I'm not the one bitching like a kid here.

WAHH THEY DON'T IMPLEMENT MY IDEA :(

Edit: I like your edit, you apologize while adding more insults to it, so I'm going to continue using your style and let me add: Apology denied. *snip*
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited September 2014
    @Mendasp "Kid"? Lol I am older than you, you tool (whether I act like it or not).

How can you tell me to grow up when you spout off like a little child having a tantrum? I read some of your babblings but really you are a waste of time.

Mendasp's response was level headed and to the point. He doesn't owe you anything. This is his mod, and he is not your employee.

I was considering implementing this idea myself because I like how unobtrusive and useful it would be in the way @aeroripper‌ presented it, and I think it is something that would help new players.

Reading your post really turned me off to working on it.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited September 2014
    To whom it may concern,

That isnt how you argue against logic. It's making us think of this.
    pa3Vot4.jpg
    Sincerely,
    The NS2 community.
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    @Mendasp "Kid"? Lol I am older than you, you tool (whether I act like it or not).

How can you tell me to grow up when you spout off like a little child having a tantrum? I read some of your babblings but really you are a waste of time.

Lastly, even though you act just as bad as you scold me I would like to appologise. I mistook your reasonable reply and then took out on you frustration I have for someone else. I love your mod and how you have improved things. Too bad you're such a prick because you were in the right. Thank you for stooping to my level.... Kid.

Thanks for not reading my post again.

I'm not the one bitching like a kid here.

WAHH THEY DON'T IMPLEMENT MY IDEA :(

Edit: I like your edit, you apologize while adding more insults to it, so I'm going to continue using your style and let me add: Apology denied.

I posted accidently since I was on my phone. I don't like you, but I will continue to benefit from your mod. So really I couldn't care less what you think about my apology. Thank you for the last post. You made me smile at how ridiculous you are acting. It has brightened my day. *snip* Keep it civil, Rising. -Decoy

@Remi I'm sorry you are so short sighted. You would let one misguided, upset person stop you from adding something good to the community. Great reasoning. You really taught me a lesson.

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited September 2014
    That's a shame how a simple idea has turned to a ridiculous dispute. I don't even have time to reload the page and here's a new response.

EDIT: 2 new answers while I was writing this useless message.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    @Remi I'm sorry you are so short sighted. You would let one misguided, upset person stop you from adding something good to the community. Great reasoning. You really taught me a lesson.
    Haha, of course not. But it sure did kill my motivation to work on it today.

• OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    I was going to post that the forum mods are slacking, but it seems someone went to work, let's hope Rising just had a bad day over something else and move along. :)
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    Gibs wrote: »
    I agree that for newer players, having a notification to tell you "you can afford a gorge!" would be great, but for competitive players it is quite pointless.
    It isn't quite pointless. Some people in the competitive community are requesting this.
    Part of the skill that this game requires of the player is having good pres management. This includes knowing when you can afford things (lifeforms, weapons, etc) and when you should or should not buy them.
    Part of the skill of this game also includes keeping your viewmodel out of the way of important information. If you missed a Skulk because your giant gun is in the way, that's your fault for positioning the camera as such. However, we have implemented toggling viewmodels for competitive mode now.
    For new players I think that it is a very good idea to allow this to be automated by the game, by having notifications.
    So notifications are only for new players? Let's remove all notifications. You can communicate via mumble/teamspeak to tell each other when shotguns are available, or check the map to realize something is under attack.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    ball2hi wrote: »
    Let's remove all notifications. You can communicate via mumble/teamspeak to tell each other when shotguns are available, or check the map to realize something is under attack.
    Yes please.

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    edited September 2014
    I agree that for newer players, having a notification to tell you "you can afford a gorge!" would be great, but for competitive players it is quite pointless. Part of the skill that this game requires of the player is having good pres management. This includes knowing when you can afford things (lifeforms, weapons, etc) and when you should or should not buy them. For new players I think that it is a very good idea to allow this to be automated by the game, by having notifications.

True but I don't think new players are those that take a look on NS2+ options in the menu, at least for the rookies. But I agree that could really help them to have this kind of stuff as the current tutorials or whatever. Most of the time, they do not know when they can evolve or simply buy a shotgun.

About competitive players, my point of view is definitely the same as the others. I don't get the point to have a such option but as I already said, if that's an option and the modders want to add this, well, keep it disabled. Even Mendasp doesn't use every features he has added on the mod (really?).
    So notifications are only for new players? Let's remove all notifications. You can communicate via mumble/teamspeak to tell each other when shotguns are available, or check the map to realize something is under attack.

Good summarizing but wait a sec, is this an argument to add this option or to prove you don't need these notifications? :O

Competitive players need to talk on Teamspeak (or Mumble) and you are 6 in a team. Every time I've played with my team, gathered or merced, everybody is aware whether something is under attack, shotguns are researched, it's about time to Lerk/Fade, etc. You cannot miss this kind of actions ingame except if you're playing alone (but I don't think so...). In comp, the current notifications aren't even helpful 'cause your Commander should mention by himself these notifications. "You have shotguns!", "Place some mines please!", etc. So if an option had been made to remove all the notifications, let me tell you it would have been enabled in my game.
    --> except the one about Exos 'cause even if my Commander can easily tell me to buy one, that's always super cool to see in my screen "Exo complete".
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited September 2014
    Let's remove all notifications. You can communicate via mumble/teamspeak to tell each other when shotguns are available, or check the map to realize something is under attack.
    You have been able to remove notifications since the first version of the mod. And comms do tend to say when shotguns are available. And you should be looking at your minimap as often as possible.
  • AmadAmad Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186626Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    Not sure if anyone suggested it already but...how about adding a transparency slider for the viewmodels? So they wouldn't be completely invisible but people would still see through them, of course 0% would mean they'd completely disappear from your screen and 100% would be the normal, visible ones.

For example, 50% would look something like this! https://www.dropbox.com/s/skxu6hs99tlbrrl/viewmodel_50trans.jpg?dl=0
    REQUEST: DO IT MENDASP I ORDER YOU.
    14UoHC.jpg
    Picture is from ns1, the blue colored layer basicly was your cloaking meter, as it is with viewmodels turned off it's impossible to know if you're cloaked or not. :( It's not a huge issue, but would be nice to have!
  • ball2hiball2hi Join Date: 2012-10-22 Member: 163128Members
    Ots wrote: »
    14UoHC.jpg
    Picture is from ns1, the blue colored layer basicly was your cloaking meter, as it is with viewmodels turned off it's impossible to know if you're cloaked or not. :( It's not a huge issue, but would be nice to have!

Only if he includes an "observed" meter too. It's easy to know when you've been scanned down, even without view-model (Noises) but how do you know if you're walking near an observatory?
    edited September 2014
    ** edit
    I must combat the urge to see everything eyebex writes is stupid, i must.

Just make the thing blink, solved.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    14UoHC.jpg

Only if he includes an "observed" meter too. It's easy to know when you've been scanned down, even without view-model (Noises) but how do you know if you're walking near an observatory?
    You know because you're not cloaked anymore when the blue bar disappears?
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Sigh. So now the viewmodel brigade finally get their way, they now start requesting lots of new hud elements to make up for all the useful feedback that the viewmodel gives...

I dislike how far away from pub play this already takes us, tbh. If making it actually usable requires even more of Mendasp's valuable time, hmm well I don't have a say in that but I can disapprove at least.
    joshhh wrote: »
    14UoHC.jpg

You know because you're not cloaked anymore when the blue bar disappears?
    He means, what i didn't understand either at first, that when you're close to an obs, even if you never were cloaked, you can see from the viewmode that you are nearby an obs, and that there should be a notification for that too.

@Roobubba‌ , Mendasp does everything we ask him to do, all the time. Go ahead, ask him for something.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Mendasp, can you take my girlfriend to that Lion King musical? I really don't feel like watching people sing and dance for 3 hours.

Love
    snb