Marine vs Marine [Beta]

Comments

• McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    I'd like to see a marine cloaking device that stays on while you move. It'd have to be a bit weaker than aliens cloak though, more refracty and obvious, like halo. Maybe you can only activate it temporarily, then it has to recharge (think the arbiter missions from halo 2). If more nerfing is needed, maybe it reduces your armor's effectiveness while cloaked.
    Essentially, that's already planned but that would fall under the "new" content stuffs/category, so it's going to be until at least v3.5 before it makes it in. Ideally, with a new backpack like model.

• McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Beta v3.3 is very near release. Likely this weekend. I'm going to organize some playtest sessions to hopefully catch and squash any bugs that I might have missed. Then, just tie up a few loose ends and publish this sucker. Of course, it will all come with a change log, so read it once it's posted if you want to find out what's changed.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    Here's a quick vid of Demo-Mines. All the main components of them are working, but there are still some rough edges to smooth out. This was actually a pain because (unless I'm mistaken) this is the first "multi-mode" weapon in NS2. I didn't do a trick of having two weapons crammed in the same slot. The demo-mines basically have two modes and each mode has its own associated 1P & 3P models. The odd sound you hear around the 30s mark is what happens when you try to switch modes without any deployed mines.

Awesome, although without a way of making the mines less visible (cloaking etc), i can't imagine the 2nd mode being used effectively very often.

And if you do go down the route of making mines invisible / cloaked, i would certainly bump up the price!
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    McGlaspie wrote: »
    This was actually a pain because (unless I'm mistaken) this is the first "multi-mode" weapon in NS2.

Does my PG Flak Cannon (Shotgun and GL in one) not count?? I made that first :P haha
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    This was actually a pain because (unless I'm mistaken) this is the first "multi-mode" weapon in NS2.
    Does my PG Flak Cannon (Shotgun and GL in one) not count?? I made that first :P haha
    I guess so *shrugs* When last I tried PG it didn't have that, but that was quite some time ago.

• [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Nice work, but I don't really see why I would use it. If mines are still always triggered by enemies...what is the purpose of a remote control? Structure demolition or did I miss a new anti-mine skill? Just curious.
    Nice work, but I don't really see why I would use it. If mines are still always triggered by enemies...what is the purpose of a remote control? Structure demolition or did I miss a new anti-mine skill? Just curious.
    Mines are very rarely used in MvM. Considering their very limited auto-trigger range (2), you basically have to be right on top of them for them to go off. I increased their explosive range (was 3, now 5). This opens up the option for ambush tactics. Place them on a ceiling is an option now. Basically, since there aren't things crawling on walls and ceilings, if you don't place them on the floor, they'll likely never get triggered. This also gives a single marine a means to cause some significant damage to a structure. Another option is to place them just around a corner, then bait enemy players into them, boom. Long story short, NS2 mines as is are border line useless in the MvM context. They had to be changed. So, I decided to make the nature of said change give players more control and tactical options. If they end up not being used, then I'll remove them outright.

Ok, now it makes more sense. I like the idea, reminds me on the TFC Demolotion Man.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    Infested Marines Confirmed, 2015. :3
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2014
    Perhaps mines could work primarily as surveillance devices? (Like Motion Sensors in Tribes.) They could have large triggering zones, but deal minimal damage, while providing info about enemy movement.

Floating seeker mines, which marines need to shoot down quickly to avoid taking damage could be interesting too.
    @twiliteblue‌ Interesting suggestions. I'll have to chew on those for a bit. Those definitely open up new research items, which mvm really needs.

Had a good close-playtest earlier today. Only came across two bugs. Once I've got those smashed (and smashing is confirmed) I'll probably release v3.3
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    I'd like to see a marine cloaking device that stays on while you move. It'd have to be a bit weaker than aliens cloak though, more refracty and obvious, like halo. Maybe you can only activate it temporarily, then it has to recharge (think the arbiter missions from halo 2). If more nerfing is needed, maybe it reduces your armor's effectiveness while cloaked.

Like factions?
    edited May 2014
    v3.3 update is just about ready. I need to do one more pass and then put together the changelog.

For those that might have missed it:
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/134843/announcing-the-community-development-team-build-266-and-possibly-beyond

This means my "NS2 time" will be split on Official stuff and MvM from here on. It's a good thing though.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2014
    I'll share another mine idea, hope it... sticks.

NanoTracker mine: A throwable trap that sticks to walls and ceilings, which explodes and coats enemy personnel in nano tracking markers (parasite) when approached. (Could this potentially become a counter to personal cloaking?)
    edited May 2014
    Sometimes bugs can have an amusing outcome...

Mine Buckler anyone?
    Jd9PkBO.jpg

Update: I'm sorting out a final bug, then it's release time.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

Mine Buckler anyone?
    Jd9PkBO.jpg

Nonononononono keep it in! Marine suicide vests, only 5 rez!!!
    edited May 2014

Mine Buckler anyone?
    Jd9PkBO.jpg

You should make it so only mines can be placed on the enemy as i would hate some random person putting a mine on me without my consent.

What would be a hilarious use of the mines would be if you can also lob them across the room like frisbees / sticky grenades, lol

That would be hilarious, as long as mines were relatively expensive it shouldn't harm the game play too much.

• BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @McGlaspie‌

The Personal Anti-Personel Vest™. Gotta Keep it.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    DarkflameQ wrote: »

Mine Buckler anyone?
    Jd9PkBO.jpg

You should make it so only mines can be placed on the enemy as i would hate some random person putting a mine on me without my consent.

What would be a hilarious use of the mines would be if you can also lob them across the room like frisbees / sticky grenades, lol

That would be hilarious, as long as mines were relatively expensive it shouldn't harm the game play too much.

Why? No friendly fire! Wow that would be OP though! Every player buys a pack of mines, puts it on one guy, guy runs into enemy base... BOOOOOOM... ... ... guy walks out of base... lol
    edited May 2014
    My only concern i have about putting mines on friendlies is trolling (put a mine on someone and then shoot it and kill them etc), but i suppose if the mines are designed so they can't be detonated by friendly fire (unless friendly fire was enabled by server admin), it would be fine :)
    I'll share another mine idea, hope it... sticks.

NanoTracker mine: A throwable trap that sticks to walls and ceilings, which explodes and coats enemy personnel in nano tracking markers (parasite) when approached. (Could this potentially become a counter to personal cloaking?)

That kinda reminds me on the old Starsiege Tribes mechanics. Optical and radar camouflage that needed two different sensor types to counter. I like it, but that could easily be too powerful?
    hahaha, guys...

I'm not going to make a Mine-Vest, or Mine-helmet, or Mine-hat, etc... Just posted the shot because it was funny.
    Updated to resolve a few issues with B266
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Scenario: -Commander where is that ninja phasegate? We found our Mine-mule, and he is ready to GO!!!

ilRxXt9.jpg
    @RadimaX Ha! I expecially like the Mine-Earmuffs. Nice touch ;)
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    haha yeah, he likes blasting loud music :D