My Natural Selection Birthday Present, in case you missed it

123457»

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    This post has been necro'd twice.
  • Evil_IceEvil_Ice Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29827Members, Squad Five Blue
    Also, being the original author, I think I can kind of necro it from time to time when I have internet access between work "trips". It also allowed me to respond to a few inquiries to its usage, so you might be able to expect to see it in a few more mods, just sadly still in the dark on support from UWE.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    And another necro rises from the depths of time.

@IronHorse Whoyagonnacall? Necro-busters!
    What this team does is too awesome for me to care if they necro.
    I know that makes me a biased piece of shit.................. but hey at least I'm honest about it?
    :D

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    If the OP posts in his own thread because he has something relevant to say about his own thread, he should post in his own thread, rather than start a new one. :D

And this necro reminded me to ask Evil_Ice again if I could use the model in one of my own mods!! You will hopefully be able to play with it soon in Proving Grounds, although with a different use..
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    xDragon wrote: »
    Hadn't see this post in a while, but your consistency config is wrong which is why your ignores are not working... This will work if added to the ignore line for the lua files, nothing further should be needed from the standard config.
    "lua/GUIRifledisplay.lua", "lua/MarineWeaponEffects.lua", "lua/Weapons/Marine/Rifle.lua"

My suggestion is to package it all up and put it up on workshop, that way you can subscribe to the mod, and any servers you join without the consistency config changes will just cause the mod to not be loaded, instead of you being kicked.

@xDragon
    Even so, the fact that sound isn't a separate .lua file from the configuration and makeup on how the rifle functions is a problem most admins would rather avoid.

Would've also attempted to do compiling for the different view models (male/female, female elite, etc.), but the way this game is designed, this game just won't meet the needs for these high-end mods to fully work in vanilla without ridiculously bypassing consistency checks. With 1 or 2 servers that enable the best mods to run, what's the point of going all out on modding this game anyway, especially if whitelisting isn't a potential? Back to simple reskins and map mods. Big woop.
    Evil_Ice wrote: »
    Zombeh: It's really awesome to see it in action with new sounds! I put more effort into remaking/remastering the classic sounds than I'd care to admit, especially to get that current-gen level of surround sound in there, thank you for doing that, I have long since uninstalled NS2, but I was tempted to install it just to try it out!
    @Evil_Ice
    The surround sound during the reload is so gorgeous. I enjoyed every minute of implementing it! Learned a thing or two about modding, which unfortunately, will never be of use in this game until something of a white-list is made possible. Why waste 6+months designing something that only 1-2 servers will be kind enough to allow? So anti-climatic and insulting.
  • eeniseenis seattle Join Date: 2014-02-24 Member: 194307Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Played classic back in the golden age of Hl1 modding, and I LOVED my skins for the game. Seeing how you cannot get these into the game because of inaction, hopefully unintentionally, is extremely frustrating. I would love to have this as a client side model replacement but would even be willing to have a Dota2 like marketplace to purchase these. I had to register on these forums to show a small sign of support for your efforts.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    eenis wrote: »
    Played classic back in the golden age of Hl1 modding, and I LOVED my skins for the game. Seeing how you cannot get these into the game because of inaction, hopefully unintentionally, is extremely frustrating. I would love to have this as a client side model replacement but would even be willing to have a Dota2 like marketplace to purchase these. I had to register on these forums to show a small sign of support for your efforts.

I was recently told this project was in discussion with UWE way b4 this thread even appeared, which had UWE wanting to implement this into the Reinforcement program, but Evil_Ice wanted it to be free (correct? why wasn't this elaborated in the first place?)

Then came the idea of said models changing/transforming with weapon level upgrades, which didn't work out well.
    Then came the issue with consistency.

And then came Evil_Ice's conclusion regarding the matter:
    Client-side sound mods are not possible with the "mod-ability" of NS2 simply put. Another big ol' downer that sort of influenced me to not even go forward with making it a client-side mod. The ammo counter, sound effects, and world models are not able to be used, which are all important aspects to the entire experience. Ultimately I banked on giving over the source files, and compiled files, for the entire project to UWE at multiple levels, and giving them the opportunity to take advantage of this asset. Unfortunately, they were not sincere in any of their intentions of allowing high levels of customization beyond server-side mods, or re-color skins.

Damned Shame. Thanks for the effort all the same Zomb3h, at least I feel like at least one person could have appreciated the ridiculous adventure and time behind the final product you see here.

NS1 Fade and Knife are all you can really enjoy to something of a mod shot with the highest caliber of proficency.
    Then there's this little guy by UWE.Chops
    RLoGE.jpg
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    A generally useless poster complaining about necros. I've heard it all now.

Cool weapon.
  • Evil_IceEvil_Ice Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29827Members, Squad Five Blue
    Unfortunately there was never any certainty discussed in the official support or implementation of this art asset. It was held mostly in secrecy due to the potential it had for implementation, but I think the original intention of UWE was to implement it as a new baseline default rifle, and re-implement the current default as a new higher-tier rifle with some form of balance aimed at making a good shotgun alternative. In tests, using placeholder models, this proved to be an unpopular concept, and so the idea was ultimately dropped, albeit my original intention of having it implemented as a purely aesthetic alternative.

My only real caveat from the start, however, was to allow all players to use the model free of charge, as the intention was never to make profit, but simply to provide some nostalgia, and allow for maximum appreciation of the effort put forth to create it. In regards to the nature of an additional aesthetic replacement, UWE was already having issues with memory management, and a bit of stagnating interest in further content addition.

Of course all of NS2 has taken a backseat to their new project, and major additions or changes are highly unlikely. I packaged and handed over all the source files for the NS1 classic models including textures, sounds, animations, .max files, etc. to members of the UWE development team with some minor hope that they would maybe one day make an attempt to either improve customization support, or utilize the assets themselves.

I have since moved on from NS2 though, and it would take a pretty unlikely and massive change in it's course of development to interest me in returning to it at this point. It was fun albeit bittersweet to revisit some of the nostalgia of the golden era of client-side modding that was around during the prime of NS1 though.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sad to see it hasn't come to fruition, but I definitely watched the vids multiple times, and just drop my jaw every time (it looks so cool). Job well done, and good luck in what ever your are working with now.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have since moved on from NS2 though, and it would take a pretty unlikely and massive change in it's course of development to interest me in returning to it at this point. It was fun albeit bittersweet to revisit some of the nostalgia of the golden era of client-side modding that was around during the prime of NS1 though.

For a game that is praised for having it's roots in modding, it sure is having a hard time supporting it. Thanks to being programmed in lua 'for increased modability' we now are forced to have drastic consistency checking that not only increases loadtimes significantly, it also kills the chance for a popular mod scene.

Sure people could say that it's all old news, but while the work goes on for the new game with a different engine, the ns2 community will likely wither away under the weight of issues currently holding the game back in people's eyes.

I don't enjoy seeing the game like this, it's being advertised as an esports game without the support to show for it, and for everything about modding check the link about consistency checking thread in my sig.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    From discussions i got the impression that its unlikely this would get into the game for "free". It would require probably quite some work from the uwe side to get this all correctly hooked up, something uwe can't justify at this point of development in ns2 without getting some money back (money that would of course be split with evil_ice). I for one would love either a cosmetic rifle dlc or a full blown classic models dlc
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I tweeted @flayra to mention this awesome awesome mod. The ns2wc seems to have brought a second wind of enthusiasm. It would be a great shame not to use this wave constructively to bring ns2's moddability up to scratch. It is almost there, and it takes an ambitious project like this to identify the pitfalls. It's very disappointing that the last push hasn't been made yet, other mods will surely spring up if they see that ns2 does live up to its promise of being highly moddable.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Man, it would be super sweet if attack upgrades would be visible by just having a look at your rifle.
    Each time the commanders upgrades weapons, new parts start folding out of the rifle, slowly turning it from Evil_Ice's SMG into the standard rifle we got now.
    allowing high levels of customization beyond server-side mods
    Well, I would definitely give it a spin on our server.
    Good mods stay and spread.
    Can som1 please tell me what's all the hype of a simple rifle skin? or am I not understanding something. (it's most likely the latter)
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    coolitic wrote: »
    Can som1 please tell me what's all the hype of a simple rifle skin? or am I not understanding something. (it's most likely the latter)

Its not a simple rifle skin, its a complete remake, complete with animations.

Also, many people prefer anything related to NS1 over NS2

I know but, all this hype?

I expect it shoot mini-gorges.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow

It looks fantastic to my eyes and ears. It should be 100% be considered for official inclusion. Not sure why it would not.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

If you don't see the awesome, there is no helping you.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited March 2014
    #Coolitic

>>complains about people necroing old threads with meaningless posts.
    >>necros the same thread a few months later.

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    @coolitic‌ - If you watch the later videos to the end, you see an animation change. The SMG turns into a LMG, more importantly, The LMG. It is a classic piece of nostalgia, and us gamers love nostalgia...
    joshhh wrote: »
    #Coolitic

So when I first say the other post was necro, everyone says a month isn't considered a necro and I accept that. Now that I do 1 month later, you are saying it's a necro? Please make up your mind.
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    @coolitic‌ - If you watch the later videos to the end, you see an animation change. The SMG turns into a LMG, more importantly, The LMG. It is a classic piece of nostalgia, and us gamers love nostalgia...

Yeah I understand nostalgia but I was just saying it's a bit too much hype. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    #Coolitic

#Coolitic

So when I first say the other post was necro, everyone says a month isn't considered a necro and I accept that. Now that I do 1 month later, you are saying it's a necro? Please make up your mind.

*popcorn*