My Natural Selection Birthday Present, in case you missed it

Comments

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The animations are incredible. The smg-lmg transition is pure sex, but God Damn look at that deploy animation. Great job! Want!
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Using the LMG/SMG in Factions just isent the same =((
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    I'm telling you, giving this as an alternate Rifle skin for shadow tier Reinforced should make up for the the cost of implementing this (complete) model into vanilla just in additional reinforce upgrades and purchases. (just the classic LMG version, not the badass SMG-to-LMG-changing-piece-of-amazing-awsomeness)

P.S. this isn't just because I have shadow tier, It would be an immense shame to relegate this amazing model to rarely played mods
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Give it a not annoying but totally awesome sound and it'll feel badass to use!

That's one thing a lot of guns lack now in video games, kick ass fire animations and sounds.. it's what makes things like the awp in counter-strike so much fun
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    The animations are nice (From what you can see in Factions)

And I wouldent mind if they just re-used the NS1 LMG fire sounds :P (maybe cleaned up a bit first)
  • NedStarNedStar Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187224Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ezekel wrote: »
    Give it a not annoying but totally awesome sound and it'll feel badass to use!

Something like this?

I'd quite like to shoot me an onos with that.

Model looks amazing. It's a shame the whole skulk glow in the dark stuff happened the way it did as I quite enjoyed using customized models. UWE ought to start moderating the workshop and allow anything on the workshop that has been deemed safe to use to bypass the verification check. Bit of a hassle to setup I'm sure but I reckon they would have no trouble finding eager community members to take up such a task.

It doesn't even have to be anything fancy as long as the really blatant stuff doesn't go through. Aka you could probably allow 99% of whats on the workshop.

Comps can block it all they want, for pub gaming it really doesn't matter if someone is using different models.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Any commentary from Devs on this and its possible inclusion as an alternative skin for the Rifle?

I cannot see the reasoning behind not allowing that...
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I want this gun in the real ns2 :<
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This is pretty godly... must have in-game. And while we're at it, can we have the NS1 pistol sound back D: that thing was diesel.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Jibrail wrote: »
    as I said earlier you can vote here
    http://strawpoll.me/673921
    and share it around, show UWE how much you want it and hopefully it will get their attention.
    38 votes. There are more of us than that! Come on peoples.

Not directed at you Jibrail although I did quote you.

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Bicsum wrote: »
    It would be so awsome if you'd tie the weapon models to the weapon upgrades.

lvl 0 = smg
    lvl 1 = lmg
    lvl 2 = assault rifle
    lvl 3 = HMG

It's always the same gun, but it just expands a little more. Though it would be weird that a smg somehow expands to the size of hmg... But then again: Nanites

It would have to be per keypress of course, so it doesn't hinder you in combat. Respawn means always the latest gun.

You're onto something here...

The upgrades are what cause the animation and change of weapon. ie When weapon 1 comes up, your smg turns into an lmg on your next reload (replaces that reload animation). On reload solves the combat issue. That'd be sweet.

But I'd rather have work done on client and server rates first, mind...
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Or it only replaces at an armory or on spawn..,
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Or give anyone that has played 5+ hours of ns1 the weapon as a rifle skin
  • tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    maD_maX_ wrote: »
    Or it only replaces at an armory or on spawn..,
    But what would happen to the magical expand animation? Or if that gets preserved, how does going to the armoury make any more sense?

Come to think of it, how are these medpacks being dropped on my head?! WHY NOT JUST DROP GRENADES ON THE HIVE YOU STUPID COMMANDER
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Bicsum wrote: »
    It would be so awsome if you'd tie the weapon models to the weapon upgrades.

lvl 0 = smg
    lvl 1 = lmg
    lvl 2 = assault rifle
    lvl 3 = HMG

It's always the same gun, but it just expands a little more. Though it would be weird that a smg somehow expands to the size of hmg... But then again: Nanites

It would have to be per keypress of course, so it doesn't hinder you in combat. Respawn means always the latest gun.

Unreal Dispersion Pistol upgrade animation comes to mind. Seeing the LMG transform thru different stages would give so much character to it and to the entirety of @Squeal_Like_A_Pig's theme of compact, modular-based weaponry.
    A button that would trigger it upon the users discretion would add a strategic element where Marines could choose to upgrade and RISK DYING by letting the animation play out upon button press, OR stick with the previous weapon upgrade and not risk dying by sustaining fire. That could also make Kharaa combat play out with a bit of urgency and strategy. Imagine 2 marines deciding to upgrade their guns while the 2 others are unupgraded. Which Marine group you focus on first, the sitting ducks upgrading, or the weaker ones shooting?

On the other hand, an upgrade-based mechanic like that could potentially be unneeded and annoying for Marines.

Either way, THIS GUN HAS TO BE USABLE.

Ive also heard of an idea way back during the beta days, in which Cory stated dynamic marine model changes based on armor upgrades would take up a lot of time. But that was back then so who knows. Both ideas of different models based on armor and weapon-level upgrades is the kind of detail this game would surely shine in considering its nature of upgrade and expansion.
    There is also the question of what happens when marines lose their upgrades...
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    What if we just give it different, researchable fire modes?
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Roobubba wrote: »

Damnit, i can't think of an elegant solution for that. D:
    I would make it transform back to the SMG form forcibly. That should give Marines an incentive to guard their armslab, build another one, and/or keep an eye on the map, AS THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN.

edited November 2013
    Zomb3h wrote: »
    I would make it transform back to the SMG form forcibly. That should give Marines an incentive to guard their armslab, build another one, and/or keep an eye on the map, AS THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN.
    lvl 1 = lmg
    lvl 2 = assault rifle

How do LMG to assault rifle, or other way around if arms lab is destroyed

(HMG for lvl 3 is way overkill also)
    Inb4 Nanites
    Nazo wrote: »
    How do LMG to assault rifle, or other way around if arms lab is destroyed

(HMG for lvl 3 is way overkill also)

I dont see how it would be a problem to reverse the animations, but all I'm worried about and really care for is getting this working on vanilla NS2 at this point.
    edited November 2013
    -Actully, nevermind this post-
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    This is a dangerous route you're taking, altering game mechanics on the pure basis of animations and models that look cool.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited November 2013
    - link approval accidental double-post thingy -
    Therius wrote: »
    This is a dangerous route you're taking, altering game mechanics on the pure basis of animations and models that look cool.

Then WHITELIST/incorporate this bitch before we TAKE AN EVEN DANGEROUS ROUTE AND REQUIRE SEASON PASSES HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUE
    Occupy UWE, lets go
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    I find the lack of developer comments...disturbing!
    Jibrail wrote: »
    I find the lack of developer comments...disturbing!

I can't always drop the name. Someone else do :D