NS2 Kodiak - updated 23/03/2014 (Version to 2.5) - Map "Complete"

Comments

• RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Map so polished now that it should go official! i will continue to find continuity errors and overlooked details (in such large project its maby hard to pinpoint them all by yourself) This is custom mapping at its finest and visually and geometricly my favorite custom map. So remember if i spot anything out of the ordinary is only to make map more perfect!

donhZAj.jpg
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Fixed. Keep them coming @radimax :)
    edited March 2014
    saw the top trim it looked perfecT!

PR33Za2.jpg

For continuity maby both sides could have this texture, i aligned original one from ns2 texture folder as mockup for result :P

nAGJ8cl.jpg

i know you are currently working on this room, but maby you have not noticed this part on the side so i add it anyway

7l2Lgqe.jpg

Did a quick texture to fit the sceene, not an actual glitch but proposition of more immersion in the map and relevantcy or how u say? :D

very ruff and basic texture i did not know if you liked the idea so did not spend any time on it, just to add it in mockup so u understand what i meaned by it.
    if you like this idea i can redo it better as custom screens ns2 quality that fit in there and add warning texts and collision data etc etc. i have some ideas to look more professional.

e5onEzt.jpg

Oh and also minor annoyance over this lol saw it was centrated on other locations, but just put model inside the blue zone, stuff like this really gets to me haha

xMr6S20.jpg

A flickering texture and trim that is simple to drag and cover up

Yp87Xki.jpg

main area left side angles should match the inner blue angles in my opinion, the tilt of the top panel atleast

U8IYJaP.jpg

if using nightvision u can spot the skybox on some places, here is one

ExyF821.jpg

here is another, corners of door have gaps but can quicly be blocked off

cBubXpm.jpg

this one is in my favorite room, above the entrance
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Yeah theese details really sets apart great maps from astonishing maps :)
    hehe yeah but with one man army and 3935919591399195193591395 details covered by loads of foliage some stuff get overlooked, like docking, mineshaft and other uwe maps have multitude of errors in them even after countless patches. Thats why its great to chip in with visual close ups in my opinion, it takes u straight to the place and can instantly be dealt with! :)
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    Played a great game on it last night, and ran around it a bit this morning. There are two things that I thought were interesting that I really love about this map.
    • Kodiak feels like a real place first. Rather than being a gameplay arena with a setting built around it, Kodiak is a real place with an arena carved out of it. It feels really epic as a result.
    • The map is extremely focused. On many maps one team will win by catching the other out of position at one of their remote bases and taking it down. I've never seen that happen in Kodiak. The 4 tech points in an opposed formation mean that you don't win by surprising the enemy, you win by beating them in combat. There just aren't unoccupied bases, there's always someone there. This means that games on Kodiak are often really long, and somewhat static in terms of territory. You don't really see base trades. Some of these things might change as people get more experience with the map.
    I think a lot of people are going to enjoy this map for those reasons, even though it plays very different from a lot of maps.

Some specific feedback.
    • Some of the glass windows internal to the map that are very important for gameplay are somewhat invisible. I'm sure I'll learn over time, but at the moment I keep expecting to be able to run through them. Hydroponics is the worst culprit for this. Are there crack decals or something similar you could apply
    • That vertical plating texture that Radimax keeps pointing out next to the stairs has got to go.
    • What Radimax said. Trim!
    • Love the moss on the rocks! (mostly, some of it is looking a little weird at the moment, but I think with a few more iterations on lighting you'll be there.)
    • Water production is looking gorgeous.

• CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Still havent played Kodiak . :(
    I think YOclan removed an earlier version from mapcycle before i got a chance....
    edited March 2014
    map works on wooza again, added multiple images to previous post that i found out after a gameplay
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    everytime i look at your pictures more seem to appear :P not sure I will do all of these but most
    edited March 2014
    Updated to 2.4

Fixed the chair just for you samusdroid !

that is all

no srsly that is all :D
    Ok here is the actual change log
    Fixed the chair
    Fixed multiple exploits
    Fixed the low lights in surface access
    Fixed a few holes
    Increased reflection effect in hydroponics windows
    Started on improving the minimap in order to define the routes more
    Fixed various issues posted here by @RadimaX‌
    Tweaked lighting a bit in the biodomes
    Reduced the light count (in low lights) in Falls / Pass area shout net some more FPS
    Improved look of water production (mini updated earlier this week)
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Thanks for the update. Kodiak just keeps getting better. Is Hangar Bay no longer a tech point?
    its still a techpoint
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    SupaFred wrote: »
    Thanks for the update. Kodiak just keeps getting better. Is Hangar Bay no longer a tech point?

It is. The tech point is behind the crate/crashed dropship.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Thanks. I just checked it out ingame and the changes you've made looks really good. Especially Hangar Bay. Haven't played it yet but I think the changes will improve gameplay too.
    Wow biodome looks incredible! and the falls extractor, really glad you put it closer it felt like a chore running AWAY from the center of the map, or i mean u had to anyway but this was the place i felt should have rt in the first place :) very good change Loki!
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This map is so beautiful it makes me want to cry. In a good way...
    atleast you will know now the level of what derelict will reach (if not SURPASS) :D
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    The biggest complaint I hear on this map now is the fps drop in falls (or "upper/lower rapids" as I just noticed it was changed to ;) )

Not sure what the issue could be... maybe occlusion geo is too loose? Too many particles? Too many lights? Idk... but are there any plans to tighten this up a bit? It's frustrating to have to fight the wave of cynicism every time I want to suggest switching to this map.
    edited April 2014
    @BeigeAlert it has been boosted a lot over the course of the last few weeks.

with everything on low the min FPS i get in there is 70 max is 85 to 90 bottle neck is CPU
    if I max everthing out (apart from ambient occlusion / shadows) - min 45 max - 60
    with shadows - 36 to 45
    with ambient - 20 to 30

which on a 4yr old pc aint that bad.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    These complaints were from last night :(

Though for all I know they could just be one of those many pc "gamers" with a 5-year old "pc" who love to complain about how a small indie title doesn't run as well as the games put out by AAA developers for billion dollar franchises.
    edited April 2014
    aye but honestly unless they QQ here I cant fix the specific area! i need a screen shot of the worseoffending FPS spots inorder to work out via wireframe what is being rendered etc
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I know it's the wrong thread, but it's active, with you now following this with Derelict, does this mean Shiva and Ayumi are both now on hold?
    shiva is still progressing, ayumi is on hold
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I played Kodiak for the first time the other day and loved it. Just thought I would let you know. Very pretty and definitely unique looking map.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Arcs.

Not sure what you mean. I just tried it out in regular ns2. You definitely can't arc Command from there, or near there.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    In the game we just played, we were able to arc the armory and other items from there, which did 'splash' damage to the CC. The CC is not arc'able from there. We had to move the arcs closer to get to the CC. In the end we ran in and destroyed it with our guns instead :D
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Played many games on Kodiak. It's one of my fav pub maps now. :)
    The 300th post! I just had to ! :)