NS2 Kodiak - updated 23/03/2014 (Version to 2.5) - Map "Complete"

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Loki wrote: »
    lol no, but you will have to wait and see ......

WELL???????????? :)
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    well it aint finsihed yet because I spent all saturday and most of friday / sunday playing deus ex
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Arrggh, damm you Warren Spector !
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    i was able to get there:

I don't know if it was intended but it's a damn pit for any pistol sniper.
    4a11118e0f9ade117cd7011c7602f8.jpg

I think you'll know where it is.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    If you start in Hangar as alien and you echo your harvester to another location you need to place cysts first before you can build a new rt in Hangar. I don't know if it's intended.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    @ the_welsh_wizard no but its fixed now
    @ unclecrunch yes its intended but marines dont / cant get up there normally with out help!
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited February 2014
    Top mid (cavern?) res tower is too damn hard to hold as marine. Or even take as marine. can we have the roof a little lower please and less things for lerks to circle jerk around?
    Meds/ammo are still getting stuck in roofs. (nearly all of them, as far as i can see)
    But mostly when there are roof props.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    A bit late, but you missed a few things
    FPy284Q.jpg
    B-)
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    @ the_welsh_wizard no but its fixed now
    @ unclecrunch yes its intended but marines dont / cant get up there normally with out help!

I did without any help. That's why i posted about it.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited February 2014
    8pQeukZ.jpg

here is some minor stuff you could take a look at, the floor overlap is seen best from above, and the top left geometry is seen only from the vent side.
    Version 2.3 !

Change Log
    New "moss" texture added to the floor (map wide) Thanks Howser !!
    New Tree model! added thanks to Howser!!!
    EvuSHrB.png
    All windows converted over to use the biodome glass
    Sloped some of the rock platforms in falls to reduce the amount of skulk hiding spots / reduced plants in this area too
    hOMDIZ5.png
    Some minor detailing in Observation
    Los blocking changes to Hangar bay to prevent hive sniping from certain locations
    RT has moved position
    4DZYaA5.png
    water produciton has had a slight overhaul, new lighting scheme making it slightly brighter and easier to see things in there + changed some props around to give it a
    more unique feel
    bmofNYZ.png
    Minor bug fixing / cosmetic changes in TB5
    Changed the vent exit in Surface access it no longer has direct LOS to the hive
    removed some clutter in SA
    MWNWmzm.png
    Weapons relay is now the Server outlet
    removed most of the computers form here given it a more disticnt feel to the map new lighting etc
    vR8gnri.png
    Southern Biodome nolonger can direclty arc the techpoint in Command. Splash damage may still hit the hive however
    Removed the power node in "service access" this is no longer a room. This is now part of Server outlet in an attempt to stop the nature of the PG tactic used there

there has been a lot more changes but those are the main ones that I can remember !

As allways please give FEEDBACK !

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    The chair is broken in that screenshot, it's going through the floor :P
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    published a quick fix to solve the broken vent in surface
    published a quick fix to solve the broken vent in surface
    But...did you fix the chair...
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2014
    I still can't see aliens in the biodome areas. Often I can only see the aliens eyes bouncing around because they are using alien vision. If they aren't using alien vision I can't see them until they are too close to do anything about. The only exception is the skulks who walk around on the biodome roof, but hey, they have additional lighting hitting them.

Can you turn up the brightness a little in the outdoor environments, or change the main colour of the light to something that enables me to see aliens, before they are close enough to start biting me?

Oh, and this area is a little too dark for somewhere so close to marine start don't you think?

2014-03-02_00010_zpsf76c17f3.jpg

I know it is a flashing light and smoke, but it is a bit too alien friendly in that corner...
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    Version 2.3 !
    New "moss" texture added to the floor (map wide) Thanks Howser !!
    You are a gentleman and a scholar! Now about those rocks . . . :)
    vR8gnri.png
    Duuude, fix that FUGLY staircase. :)
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I have a suggestion for the lighting in the biodomes. Make the light from the floodlights near the ground more intense, and make the light from the sky brighter but a bit more saturated blue.

Right now you are achieving contrast by putting dark and light next to each other. This works great, but hurts gameplay by making it hard to see. Another way of creating contrast is between cool and warm, even when the intensity of the light is the same. This has the same associations, (night -> dark,cool, sun,fire->light, warm) and produces a similar effect visually, but it doesn't hurt gameplay as much.

Just something to think about.
    I shall :P thanks !
  • DeadfishhDeadfishh New Jersey Join Date: 2014-03-08 Member: 194586Members
    Just a little spot i got stuck in next to the doorway between Northern Biodome and the hallway to Hangar Bay. Struggled for about a minute before I gave up.
    @deadfishh thanks will get a fix for that with the next update
  • Ren26Ren26 Join Date: 2013-06-30 Member: 185811Members
    Titus vs Snails going on soon for a Kodiak Showmatch!
    edited March 2014
    vR8gnri.png

DUDEEEE i was always concerned about this area and you sir just fucking nailed it on this one! the floors, the pipes so epic when i saw it ingame, very clean and professional :) even the new panels on the right/back of this image looked superb! although that staircase could use a bit of TRIM along the upper ledge and the section going upwards behind the player aswell, see how biodome made it for references (but keep it kodiak style offcourse) <3

here is an idea of what could be done to the section i am reffering to:
    bybUcLj.jpg
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    @RadimaX has the right idea. Always trim your geometry. And when in doubt, trim your trims. Want to make sure you're doing it right? trim your trim's trims.
    edited March 2014
    yeah also i just stumbled opon this area that had 2 identical panels. For continuity there should be some technical texture behind this panel not another identical panel unless they try to fortify this area :P but i know exactly a texture to go along with this very purpose but dont have .dds thumbnails view so cannot find the name of it in the folder
    BLPgQlY.jpg

Found it texturename: descent_wall_09a.dds so try that one instead of 1.

this is just a composite of the 2 textures but it might give an idea of how it could turn out:
    L3Ss9XP.jpg
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I think the loose panels came from the wall with the power node on it, and it has been put aside to expose it.
    edited March 2014
    yeah i see what you mean but then the panel for obvious reasons need to have a gap or square hole with frame on the right side becouse the power is poking out to far for the FLAT PANEL to meet up with the FLAT WALLS behind it. the nozzle would simply collide and make a huge Dent if you try to screw it together. it will simply collide. We could speculate about panels all day however maby that powernode area did not need panels at all? it looks amazing as it is. however it could look even more amazing with some texture variations is all i am saying :D
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    RadimaX wrote: »
    yeah i see what you mean but then the panel for obvious reasons need to have a gap or square hole with frame on the right side becouse the power is poking out to far for the FLAT PANEL to meet up with the FLAT WALLS behind it. the nozzle would simply collide and make a huge vent if you try to screw it together. We could speculate about panels all day however maby that powernode area did not need panels at all? it looks amazing as it is. however it could look even more amazing with some texture variations is all i am saying :D

I just can't even play this map anymore until this is fixed. ;)
    edited March 2014
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    I just can't even play this map anymore until this is fixed. ;)

Good becouse its fixed now and you can enjoy the map in its full glory!

yeGenig.jpg

Here is the result and its just how i could imagine it...PERFECT! just for bonus i put in the reason why i presumed the panel 1 was lifted off wall 1, basicly the powernode would make a dent in panel 1 if it belonged on the powernode wall, so the powernode wall looked marvelous enough on its own and did never need the panel in the first place. ALL HAIL LOKI !!!