NS2 Kodiak - updated 23/03/2014 (Version to 2.5) - Map "Complete"

Comments

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Really hard to find them indeed. Kinda sad, but take a look here: http://ns2stats.com/map/map/86

Ah, clever! Thank you!

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Can't wait for tonight's playtest to see those great new parts by myself.

When was this recorded?
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    1.7a !

Troll light removed (map is not supposed to be that bright!)
    Troll occlusion geo face (S biodome) fixed
    Reflection probes fixed
    Ambient sound radius in Surface Access reduced
    Hole in N Biodome and N bio to hangar removed
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Where is the uwe please add this to vanilla mapcycle button ???? :D
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Can't wait to see how this goes in the AusNS2 Draft Tournament and the NSL Cuatom Map Cup!

Nice work Loki!
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    Loving this map! The biggest complaint I have so far though is the Observation hallway: it's too long and open. It feels like in almost every game I play on this map, marines always lock down this hallway early on, and unless Aliens have a big skill advantage, there isn't much to be done. Even when they use the vent, the vent still spits them out right where the marines are looking. Not to mention any decent marines know to mine up this vent immediately. It might be better if that vent ends much farther down observation, towards falls. This way, aliens can group up outside the vent, behind marines. As it is now, they can group up, but that's still not really a flanking route, just another frontal assault if the marines have a phase gate in observation at that northern-most point. The only way to really flank that position right now is to go Hangar Bay -> Northern Biodome -> Pass -> Falls -> Observation, and that's a heck of a long way to go for a flank.

It might also be worth investigating Tunnel B5 as this might become more of a problem when the observation issue is fixed, though it certainly isn't as bad as obs is now.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    minor patch to fix a vent that was unpassable in surface access

There will be a future patch to kodiak shortly after the ausns2 draft tourny. To address various issues a lot of people have brought to my attention :D and I will take a look at observation to see what I can do there
  • Jones108Jones108 Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174670Members
    edited January 2014
    Wow, love the map! Thanks for this superb addition to the map pool!! Hoping to see more of it in the future. PS: Not sure wether it has been mentioned yet or is as intended: You can siege Command from Hydro.

@Beige Good point. It would be interesting to see how Observation turns out, if one vent exits moves abit further up to Falls.

Or maybe a vent goin from Hangar ending right under the stairs between Northern Biodome and Pass.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Those issues aside, I STILL say this map needs to be added to the stock maps. :D
  • AmadAmad Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186626Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Been on and off testing this map and now with the full version I decided to play some gathers in it. First it felt completely one sided, big rooms everywhere with marines taking down skulks without any problems. However, when aliens "adapted" to the whole scenery, using the plants and trees as their cover, the balance was quickly shifted. Overall it feels extremely balanced, played over 30 rounds with 6vs6, 7vs7 and 8vs8 settings and both teams managed to win multiple times.

The only real problem I found was already mentioned by Jones. Holding Hydro as marines will basically lock down two tech points from aliens since you can siege both of them (the arcs can be moved on top of the crates to siege command.)
    ty for the feedback, I thought i fixed the arcing issue from hydro :/ anyway I will aim to fix it asap (end of the week more likey).
    Had quite a bit of fun on this map last night. Played as Aliens, started Command. Just had to be very conscious of which areas marines could easily lock down (like Observation) and go out of our way to make sure they never set foot in there, or send the whole team in to dig them out when they managed to sneak in.

Another issue, and this is much less of a problem, really, is that there are some annoying invisible walls in some strange places, like near the pipes in Tunnel B5 (I think that's the name). I wanted to climb on the pipes, but instead stuck out about 2 feet from the wall.
    Update v2.0b

Nolonger possible to arc the hive from hydro
    added a Crate for cover in observation
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Looks nice.. I shall see if I can persuade taw to run this. :D
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    Been playing this map for so long, and I still love it! Great addition to ns2 and a proud accomplishment for you Loki ^^
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Soooooo... official next build? :D
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Just had another run around in it, and had some thoughts.

First off, the architecture in this map is just mind blowingly awesome. Every location feels like a real place, and I just love love love running around in it. Fantastic arenas.

The one thing I'm wondering about. Right now the foliage in the biodomes has a difficult time blending in with the rocks. Part of that is just the textures, that will be hard to get around without a lot of work. I think part of it though is the lighting. The red lighting from the sky contrasts so much with the green of the plants that it's very difficult for them not to look out of place. This might be more of a departure than you want, but I wonder about switching all of that to a cool blue. You'll have a great blue-orange contrast in the lighting in the biodomes, and I think this will make the foliage work better with the stone. What do you think?
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    played a few rounds on this map, lots of fun.
    @moultano perhaps that has already been done in the next version of the map :)
    Can somebody please get this man some reskinned mossy rocks!
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    ^ true, but fortunately Loki don't need matching assets to make stuff look marvelous!
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Map looks more and more stunnign for every upgrade! :D here is just a small little thing to look over if there is any time in the near flawless map..

vIINgv3.jpg
    thanks I shall aim to fix that with the rest of the updates to the map that should come out in B263 (when its out of beta ofc)

Stay tuned for yet another (large) yet nice update !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Loki wrote: »
    Stay tuned for yet another (large) yet nice update !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Map rotated 90 degrees, because why the hell not? ;)
    lol no, but you will have to wait and see ......