Is it not time for the next build soon?

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    I think we've come up with a solution that will solve all the problems. Release the patch early, and simply revert the [redacted] balance changes in the NS2WC mod.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Hamlet wrote: »
    You got to make sure you are sitting on a solid chair that will reliably prevent you from dropping the floor and rolling around in uncontrollable laughter of irony,
    because the 4 very best teams in the whole world are not able to adapt to changes in a game that is (fasten seat belts) called Natural Selection,
    despite having almost a full month for familiarization, analysis and preparation.
    I was thinking more about the fact that the games they played to make it to the finals in the first place are no longer valid. They did not get there playing THAT game. If you want to play a tournament, you have to keep everything consistent (if possible) for the duration, otherwise it is going to be unfair on SOMEONE. Who knows, maybe if the group stages were played on that patch instead of this one we'd have a different 4 teams.

How is it unfair to anyone exactly? Everyone played on the same patch to qualify.

Release the patch asap.
    joshhh wrote: »
    Hamlet wrote: »
    You got to make sure you are sitting on a solid chair that reliably will prevent you from dropping the floor and rolling around in uncontrollable laughter of irony,
    because the 4 very best super pro teams in the whole world are not able to adapt to changes in a game that is (fasten seat belts) called Natural Selection,
    despite having almost a full month for familiarization, analysis and preparation.

What a belligerent and naive post. You obviously do not understand what goes into high level play.

You're being beyond ridiculous.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    @NS2 at Twitter (2 hours ago) :
    Build 263 is well on its way. New content, new fixes - Considering a Steam Beta release within 10 days

ROFL =))
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    Separating the patch into the Steam beta is probably the worst way to approach this.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I personally want to see some of the changes in the NS2WC but its not my choice. Its gonna be a great event either way.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Don't care if nothing changes and they only add server performance :)
    Here's hoping!
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    So still... why couldn't they just split new content and balance stuff into one patch right after the NS2WC Finals and release bug fixes asap? Hell if theres new content and stuff you could use the NS2WC live finals as a way to "release" the info.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    edited January 2014
    Maybe there's gonna be another big promotional event on Steam or HumbleBundle to go along with the hype around the NS2WC and they want to release the new build in time with that or something?

I was however under the impression that major content type work on NS2 had ended now (ie. "UWE's work here is done") so will be somewhat intrigued by what new content they have in store for us. Unless it's some minor addition like a new type of grenade or something...
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    A steam beta build would be for stress testing systems rather than getting balance feedback. We could get a lot of useful data even with a fairly small number of participating users.

As for what systems, well, I'll just leave that to your imaginations... ;D
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I actually hope they roll the update out quietly (remember Reinforced when it was broken). I agree with @rantology, roll it out sooner rather than later so we can run it, get any bugs quished. That way, when the big promotion happens around the NS2WC finals, we have a good product to showcase. If it is put out after NS2WC, and there are bad bugs, it will come off very bad (and possibly lose the players you have just gained with the big event).
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2014
    Jekt wrote: »
    I was thinking more about the fact that the games they played to make it to the finals in the first place are no longer valid. They did not get there playing THAT game. If you want to play a tournament, you have to keep everything consistent (if possible) for the duration, otherwise it is going to be unfair on SOMEONE. Who knows, maybe if the group stages were played on that patch instead of this one we'd have a different 4 teams.
    How is it unfair to anyone exactly? Everyone played on the same patch to qualify.
    Because even the most minor of changes could have meant for a different final 4. For example, say one of the teams that succeeded won their alien games due to a lerk carry, and in this patch the lerk was nerfed. Say that they can no longer win alien games because of that, but some other team that didn't make it, but was close on points, is unaffected by the lerk nerf and can still win their alien games. There is a chance they would instead be in the final 4.

Doesn't seem right to me.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    by your reasoning @Ghosthree3, we should go back and re-run every tournament, including the beta tournaments, because the game has been re-balanced since those tournaments, and different teams might win now?
    No, I only mean for the duration of the tournament, you can reinvent the game between tournaments sure. But ideally, for the fairest play, a single tournament should have as few variables changed as possible.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    yeah and what about ping, the variable that has the most impact. Release the patch imo.
  • Doktor_MandrakeDoktor_Mandrake England Join Date: 2014-01-29 Member: 193628Members
    Hope this next build is going to be good. Sometimes I think updates kinda ruin the game.. Like when the update came in that added all the grenades, I stopped playing for ages because I didn't like the changes made

As far as balancing I don't know if anything needs changing, I guess UW know best.. I'd love to see some new maps though, especially if they're gonna be more NS1 remakes, or a classic weapons skin pack would be awesome.. I loved the look of the old shotgun in NS1
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Hope this next build is going to be good. Sometimes I think updates kinda ruin the game.. Like when the update came in that added all the grenades, I stopped playing for ages because I didn't like the changes made

As far as balancing I don't know if anything needs changing, I guess UW know best.. I'd love to see some new maps though, especially if they're gonna be more NS1 remakes, or a classic weapons skin pack would be awesome.. I loved the look of the old shotgun in NS1

The build has been taking a while to get out due to the amount of work needed for it. It's a big update and we all want it to go as smoothly as possible. The patch is being tested and worked on daily and will be out once it's golden brown on top. The Steam beta Hugh mentioned will help give feedback.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    by your reasoning @Ghosthree3, we should go back and re-run every tournament, including the beta tournaments, because the game has been re-balanced since those tournaments, and different teams might win now?
    No, I only mean for the duration of the tournament, you can reinvent the game between tournaments sure. But ideally, for the fairest play, a single tournament should have as few variables changed as possible.

I understand and agree with you to a point, but I view the NS2WC like the World Cup in football. You have qualifiers which end before the tournament, then the tournament itself takes place at a later date. Sometimes new rules and/or changes are introduced at the World Cup, but all the teams had a level playing field in the qualifiers, even if it was different from the playing field at the finals.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    This guy knows whats needed in NS2, more cosmetic features and more remake maps. Because remake maps work so well and it doesn't eat up devtime on the real important performance, bug and balance updates. #-o
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    _INTER_ wrote: »
    This guy knows whats needed in NS2, more cosmetic features and more remake maps. Because remake maps work so well and it doesn't eat up devtime on the real important performance, bug and balance updates. #-o

I will tell the mappers to stop mapping and start to fix some bugs. silly mappers. Perhaps cory could finally stop being lazy and fix some engine bugs too
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    _INTER_ wrote: »

Yes new maps would be nice, and yes performance especially server side needs some work. BUT I think balance is fine now. If you play on a server with teams of equal skill +/- one rookie, you will get decent games. The only "balance" issue left I think is ensuring the two sides are skill-balanced. Hoping for some action on that front.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I don't think anyone here is against any of the changes... and we are definitely all for the bug fixes. Some of us just disagree with the timing of release. All of us, that know what is coming, are excited to see how this patch plays out.

Rofl. That is the best way I can word my thoughts without commenting on details.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    @Asraniel I was talking about remake maps. In addition to that I thought mappers are focused on Subnautica mainly.

I find this snippet taken from The Valve Handbook for New Employees (its a funny read for those interested) quite fitting:
    trt6xao5.png

Even more so valuable in a smaller company as UWE.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    T-shaped people are scary, especially T-shaped women.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    xen32 wrote: »
    xDragon wrote: »
    these are really buffs, and buffs to something no one plays with, I don't understand why its such a big deal. Everyone would have equal time to test and play with the changes, I don't really see anything 'unfair' about it.
    OH BOY, were hallucinations from Sewlek's balance test implemented in vanilla?

I can bet it's hallucinations.

My money is on Exos *crossess fingers*