Is it not time for the next build soon?

Comments

• RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    edited February 2014
    well there is a shine LERK LIFT mod in alpha stage right now, so if the community are capable of making it for the game i am hoping UWE is seriously looking over the possibilitys to add it in at some point, if its not already freshly out of the oven off course!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Play with lerk lift before you think it is ready. It finally has working code, but balance?
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2014
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    RadimaX wrote: »
    well there is a shine LERK LIFT mod in alpha stage right now, so if the community are capable of making it for the game i am hoping UWE is seriously looking over the possibilitys to add it in at some point, if its not already freshly out of the oven off course!

Except it makes the game incredibly unbalanced

This. The game is actually in a very good spot right now as far as balance is concerned. Keeping it as a mod will be just fine.

Edit: random past text in my post. -_-
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    Wait for it...

That's it.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited February 2014
    ...........buuuuuuuuuuut maybe if we make the Lerk really struggle lifting the gorge? :3 Like it moves SUPER slow? Mmmmkaaayy? :33

Goddamnit. I want my Lerk lift. >: (
  • KungFuJVKungFuJV Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15167Members
    edited February 2014
    I would take ns1 gorge web over lerk lift anyday. Or fade metabolize, or primal scream. Tier 3 acid rocket please.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Let's hope that when ever this next build is released, it doesn't break every mod known to man.

It will break all mods NOT made by UWE devs/PT's/Special Friends, I have been assured my mods will break on release of the next patch. :D
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lerk lift.... oh dear, as bad an idea as when Lerks had fly by bile bomb in Beta.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    I had lerk lift running on my troll noob server "Super Friends Fun Server" and there were lerks flying around with 4 gorges attached. Hilariously OP and retarded, especially since I had the mod on where aliens can use phase gates. Benny Hill theme should be included.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Scatter wrote: »
    I had lerk lift running on my troll noob server "Super Friends Fun Server" and there were lerks flying around with 4 gorges attached. Hilariously OP and retarded, especially since I had the mod on where aliens can use phase gates. Benny Hill theme should be included.

DO WANT to play on in this server.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited February 2014
    It's been more than 10 days since "263 beta within 10 days" tweet :(
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hamlet wrote: »
    KBBL, where's my elephant?
    Natural Selection 2 ‏@NS2 28. Jan.
    Build 263 is well on its way. New content, new fixes - Considering a Steam Beta release within 10 days

Yeah, was wondering about that the other day.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I think the key word is "Considering".

They have obviously considered and decided not to release it as a beta within 10 days. Whether it will get released as a beta, and when is up in the air I guess..
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Any one know any of the change log? what they are working on? any thing. Come on man I need a fix.
  • Not FlayraNot Flayra Join Date: 2012-05-18 Member: 152282Members
    I can't say positively, but I heard that they may be adding the ability for Gorges to make pies and leave them for other Kharaa as healing items. But Max can't code the crust up to be both tender AND flaky. So he might be having to take a cooking class to get it right.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    It's definitely being released within the next 6 months ;)
    As most times, things don't go according to plan.
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's definitely being released within the next 6 months ;)
    As most times, things don't go according to plan.
    A plan fails when it meets reality.
    I can't say positively, but I heard that they may be adding the ability for Gorges to make pies and leave them for other Kharaa as healing items. But Max can't code the crust up to be both tender AND flaky. So he might be having to take a cooking class to get it right.
    Consume mod by moofree
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    edited February 2014
    @SamusDroid, You just reminded me of this:
    I fear that a lot of you will be underwhelmed by the system no matter what because of the extremely high expectations set up by now. This won't get better with my next statement, because the one thing I can say is that, while there have been a few partial hits so far, nobody has yet really hit on the system's full potential yet.

So why don't we tell you? Bluntly, because Charlie is currently negotiating with investors, and the nature of this system is one of the best cards on his hand. Making it public knowledge wouldn't be a smart move.

We chose the name 'Nexus' for two reasons: the definition of the word, and we like to say words with an 'x' in them--an 'x' makes it sexy!

The BUS is a selling point for UWE, and Charlie wants to keep it under wraps while it can provide a competitive advantage and therefore unique value for the UWE prospectus. Before someone invests in UWE, they need a reason to believe they can profit from the venture. We're putting the first stages of the BUS into NS as a proof-of-concept, and you'll all be able to see it once it's released.

Sanity checking says that the BUS is, while cool, a pretty obvious improvement to game software; even though I think UWE could try for a patent, I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Agreed. It's a cool and new system, but it makes way more sense to try to be the first than to invest the time and money into any expansive security here.

It's not BUS, since there isn't any actual work being done by the server at this point -- in fact, the BUS server code was #defined out of the beta 4 build, and Phase 1 was client side only (and dormant).

We did spot and fix one potential beta 4 release CPU hog for the next release already (coming soon), but if your play experience is getting gradually and continually worse, that sounds like a potential resource leak--please submit this as suspect in the bug forum so that it gets into the official queue, using "repro: " at the start of the title and the "?" icon.

Thanks!

Yeah, we announced this too early. It's in active development still, and believe me, you'll hear all about it when we're ready to release it.

In the meantime though, try to think about something else. smile-fix.gif

I'd say there's an 80% chance that BUS will first be included in a version after 3.0 final. I will repeat what I've said before if it helps adjust expectations: BUS is not a completely new idea--the basic concepts have already been done elsewhere. I believe it will be unique among Half-Life mods.
    MYSTERYMAN wrote:
    But seriously, can you tell us if you're still working on it, and when it might be released?

When I left the NS team last June (taking a job at EA Los Angeles), BUS was added to puzl's to-do list, but like he's already mentioned above, he didn't have time to really work on it while I was gone. As a result, there wasn't a lot of progress made on it over the second half of 2004.

My contract with EA finished at the end of October, and I started talking shop with the NS devs again about a month later. UWE actually hired me as a contractor in December, so getting BUS running and doing research for the next generation game are the two current tasks of my full time job. I picked up work on BUS about two months ago where I left off, and it's what I'm spending most of my time on at the moment.

I don't feel comfortable putting a release date on it right now--if I gave a date that wasn't accurate I think that would be worse than no date at all, and I can only make an educated guess at how much time will be required to get the full system written, running, and properly alpha tested so that it can be made public.

While I did tease a little in this thread, there are times when I wish the original "Big Unannounced System" changelog entry hadn't been posted so we could just suprise you all when it's ready. Because it has been delayed so long, I'm sure that to some of you it looks like an empty promise or vaporware hype, and that's the last thing I want to be associated with. It's real, and I'm working on it now.

I think Cagey is being a little modest here. I guess the end result of the first version of the BUS won't be anything we haven't seen before, but it forms the basis of something much bigger, and much more exciting.

I fully believe it WILL create gameplay we haven't seen before, but I dream big.

We are being secretive about it because we don't want someone else to do it first (the real test of whether its 'new' or not).

To reiterate, the BUS is not a stat-whoring program. Sadly, it was announced way too early (Charlie was just getting a little excited over it), which is why we're stuck with the current situation

Every time I open my mouth on a BUS-related issue, I regret it. Sorry folks.

I just want to know if the dev's sit around in a room, reading these BUS topics, drinking beers and just laughing their pance off at how lame some of the things could be.

How bout asking relevant questions like. Have we hit the nail dead on yet?

You did, but because I'm a mean bastard, I won't tell you which

:(
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    Planning is necessary. Plans are useless.

Makes perfect sense, actually.
  • GibsGibs Join Date: 2013-09-25 Member: 188455Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Diamond, Subnautica Playtester
    RadimaX wrote: »

Lerk Lift was a mod in NS, and is going to remain a mod in NS2. The mod completely breaks the balance of the game :p
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    Keep in mind this is 10 UWE-days...
    so if we translate the tweet, it would be looking a little bit like this:

NFqCokR.png
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    edited February 2014
    A good plan lasts 10 seconds of combat.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    OK, I think we can stop turning this into a Call of Duty loading screen now :((
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Only the dead see the end of war
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Dictator93 wrote: »
    Only the dead see the end of war

Always remember: If they are in range for artillery, so are you.

That's actually from RUSE...

That's IT - Kick him out, he plays COD!!!! :P

Sorry, but the reference went over my head, can you explain?

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Soul_Rider wrote: »

That's IT - Kick him out, he plays COD!!!! :P

Sorry, but the reference went over my head, can you explain?

I don't play cod, but I guess the loading screens show semi-helpful pseudo-wise sayings, like out-of-context sun tzu quotes or similar.
    RUSE did that.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

Isn't that what we're all asking? Where's my elephant?

Sorry, any time someone makes a Simpsons reference I get real excited.