A frank NS2WC discussion

15678911»

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • Slayar_auSlayar_au Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187122Members
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    He will tweak it further, he can't resist.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Well, that didn't take long
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think you took the NSL Descent brightness complaints a little too far Mendasp.

ns2_flashlight_eclipse
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    Jekt wrote: »
    I think you took the NSL Descent brightness complaints a little too far Mendasp.

ns2_flashlight_eclipse
    That release is not final, he only posted it for people to try out because he was going to bed due to spending 2-3 hours on the map. He'll probably get around to finishing it later today.

Hail lord MendasPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited December 2013
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Jekt wrote: »

ns2_flashlight_eclipse
    I will be updating it again today, but if you can point out some spots that are specially dark I'd be glad to tweak them.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Im gona be opposite of @Jekt and say dont ya dare make it another sun like nsl Descent and nsl biodome turned out. :P
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @Mendasp Dude... Awesome!

I was wandering around nsl_jambi the other day and noticed that there's a bit of stuff outside the map. I was wondering how much performance might be gained (across all the maps) by removing the external elements? It would make the windows pointless, but the CPU load improvements might be worth it for some maps. I'm really not sure though, just wondering!

Thanks for all your hard work making these maps more playable!
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    edited December 2013
    @Mendasp

Generator Monitors on the Eclipse side I found to be a little dark, but its partly to do with the texture colour as well.

Runs well - flat 200 fps on pretty much the whole map.

Computer Core and Eclipse TP's look better than the original imo.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    For whatever reason... I just watched both of those videos...
    God, it's a slow day at work haha
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    its been added to all the ns2wc servers, but workshop is slower than dirt today so good luck connecting :)
    Locklear wrote: »
    Yes that was me, I feel bad.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Vegas servers have been dead for a couple weeks now.
  • RobbyRobby Sweden Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159687Members
    Bacillus wrote: »
    However, the main point is that he was using the wallhack as an adminstrative tool to spectate and catch actual cheaters ingame. It is almost the only somewhat surefire way to catch a wallhacker who is capable of masking his actions even a bit. This has been done throughout the history of FPS games and - as far as I can tell - is considered to be acceptable by practically anyone who knows a thing about anti-cheat methods.

Bollocks. Absolute bollocks. You just cooked that up in a pot half-full of excrement.

I've myself been very active in anti-cheating activities in dozens of FPS games for over ten years and i firmly remember the policy on these activities by every single company behind those games (because they're always the same and thus easy to remember!): "Don't ever do anything to stop a potential cheater other than reporting them to us and letting us handle it entirely. Never resort to any activities that break the TOS or other illicit behavior."

Why don't you ask Valve and UWE what they think of the idea of using a wallhack to catch a wallhacker. I don't for a second believe that Eiss has been cheating, ever. But taking matters into his own hands by using the same or similar software to catch cheaters was unbelievably stupid. It's like the actual cheater was taunting him into a trap, which apparently worked beautifully. Maybe this was the point all along, to get Eiss banned? Conspiracies are a fancy topic!

A VAC-ban is harsh, but Eiss clearly needed the lesson. This idiotic behavior has cost him and his team dearly. So this little adventure can hopefully inspire others not to act as stupid themselves.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Welcome to two months ago when this was actually under discussion.