Return to Eclipse in Natural Selection 2

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Patridge wrote: »
    A small bug? Was just in a game where marines lost their starting spawn and we claimed the tech point with a hive. They still had a command chair at the bottom tech point. The problem was we couldn't grow the hive with a drifter. No matter what our commander did. Had to get a couple of gorges there instead. kinda annooying.

This is known and will be fixed in 263.

• male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Who cares Zombeh... It happens in every game whether match making is included or not.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited December 2013
    First impressions... looks to be one of the most unique maps we have. With 4 equally distributed tech points and no central hub Eclipse is nothing like any of the other 7 maps. Whether that is good or bad remains to be seen. The map has a bit of a mazelike quality and may take some more getting used to than others. It feels pretty small as well, end-to-end travel distance seems almost half that of maps like refinery or hub or veil.
  • dattodatto Join Date: 2012-12-30 Member: 176794Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    >ammo packs refill all weapons

when did my pants get so small
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited December 2013
    So is the Reinforced OST or Deluxe edition OST getting updated to include that NS1 menu remix

Because... I need it
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    The map looks really good, only did couple rounds but all in all, if some random clutter would go away, and other unreasonable narrow/tight pathways would be made well... wider. It could look promising. It's definately a different game alltogether with 4 techpoints and the layout being what it is, all the "new turns" to make the map larger look interesting but only time will tell, how unforgiving it's going to be for aliens to get any particular starting hive.

inc 'GG MAINT HIVE' ;P
  • NailoNailo Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185138Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I'm curious as to why marines always have only one starting position on 4 tech point maps, anyone care to enlighten me?
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited December 2013
    Jonah can chime in as to why they made the changes they did to computer core, but the short story is that the old room design just didn't work in an NS2 map for a whole host of reasons. Personally I like the new one a lot, too, so it doesn't bother me (plus I played in the older version and I agree it didn't really work).

There are a small number of spots to tweak in the next patch, but they're all fairly minor issues that we couldn't justify holding the patch back for at this point.

As to why marines have a fixed start: it's a remake of an NS1 map, and in NS1 marines always started in the same place. Veil is the same way because it's also a remake of an NS1 map. You would have to change the map fundamentally for marines to have a dynamic start location and it wouldn't feel like the same map anymore.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    It looks good, but it runs like biodome with 25-30fps during fights. I bloody knew you would do that to me again...

I miss the old MS. And it seems like the map is heaven for gorge tunnels and ambushes. We have to relearn how to play the map yet, so everything is unclear atm. But it looks like a super alien map.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    I hate it and here’s why, it’s an NS1 map with only 4 tech points and aliens can’t build in vents (I have already found a big glitch in and posted about it). I didn’t play NS1 because it looked really cool I played it cause it was a great game and still is. But having only 4 tech points on a map makes it unreasonably hard for aliens, not to mention marines will always spawn at the same spot. Marines only have to hold down 2 and it cuts aliens off from a third of their abilities and upgrades, now the same thing could be said on a 5 tech point map but it also spreads marines a lot thinner on the map.

The other big thing is that aliens could get in vents, build in vents and feel safe in vents. There are god-damn ladders in the vents north of com core! Now I know this is NS2 and the idea of aliens feeling safe in vents has been utterly and completely destroyed but if UWE is going to bring NS1 maps to NS2 then that should be a part of it.

Now I know most people will disagree with me but I am not commenting on how the game looks I am disproving on bringing a NS1 maps to NS2 when NS2 is a very, very different game than NS1.
  • DjiloreiannDjiloreiann Join Date: 2013-07-04 Member: 185902Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Balance
    Ammo packs now refill all weapons instead of only the active one

Omg Yes
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It looks good, but it runs like biodome with 25-30fps during fights. I bloody knew you would do that to me again...
    Damn them for making a modern map that requires a modern graphics card to run.
    Know pain wrote: »
    But having only 4 tech points on a map makes it unreasonably hard for aliens, not to mention marines will always spawn at the same spot. Marines only have to hold down 2 and it cuts aliens off from a third of their abilities and upgrades
    You do realise that in an ideal game aliens should only get 2 hives. If they get 3 I just gg it tbh. Unless there's some really well timed arcs or something ready to knock one down. It makes it harder for sure, but I'd be more concerned about it being harder to get TWO hives up than get three.
  • NailoNailo Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185138Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Well then I guess I now know what I'm going to be interested in seeing. A 4 techpoint map in which both sides have dynamic spawns ^_^
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    I get good fps on Eclipse? At least better than Biodome...
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    that map is massively busy and i think i love it and i think its feels like the original...will be sure when i get used to the vents...crazyass venting! also LOVE LOVE LOVE THE NS1 MUSIC REMIX!!!! ! ! ! !! ! !
    :x
    ps. great work releasing so soon!
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    @ Ghosthree3

You do realize that was the point in NS1 to get 3 hives, then it was GG but welcome to NS2 where even if they do it’s still an open game (just a harder one).

Now as for marines since I played a few more games without mentioning the exploit, the command station and how you can’t place ip’s anywhere except right next to each other is just lolz. Now 2 gorges bile bomb rush means 1 or 2 things they hit the power node and 1 ip or they ignore the power node and hit both ip’s.

It is extremely depressing to see UWE constantly limiting what either team can do.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I know you took a break, but you are aware of contaminate right.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    He doesn't know the vent changes are game wide, either... So I'd guess no
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    ALL THAT IS NOW AND ALL THAT IS GONE AND ALL THAT'S TO COME AND EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN IS IN TUNE

BUT THE SUN IS ECLIPSED BY THE MOOOOOOOOOOON

---

Only one balance change, but that's easily the best balance change in a long time. It was so annoying begging the commander for ammo only to have him drop it on you while you had your pistol out. Solid build.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    That NS1 remix track is pretty boss. Nice looking map, good performance. Egg counter, 'need drifter' are nice changes.
  • Cr4zyb4st4rdCr4zyb4st4rd United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-08-09 Member: 155200Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Played hours of Eclipse just now so far so good! Gotta play it some more on servers with less rookies mind :E

One random thing i noticed while playing, when a marine crouched to fire his rifle the projectile effect did not move with the crouch. Instead it floats above the player where it would be if the marine was standing.
    No idea if it was a one off or is an actual small bug or if it even happened before!
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Who cares Zombeh... It happens in every game whether match making is included or not.
    Not if it's enforced.
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    edited December 2013
    E49CF7B8D067D734F68A4F505E398BA9C6368618
    so eclispe. much pretty. very wet. such wow.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2013
    ALL THAT IS NOW AND ALL THAT IS GONE AND ALL THAT'S TO COME AND EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN IS IN TUNE

BUT THE SUN IS ECLIPSED BY THE MOOOOOOOOOOON

Encumbered forever by desire and ambition
    There's a hunger still unsatisfied
    Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon
    Though down this road we've been so many times

UWE where are moar new maps!? :P

---

Can't wait to get my hands on the new map, just told our admin to run it in a loop next time we gather. B-)
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    Why would you stick the skill number in my face? Now I will feel like I have to get it up, need to win easy. Creating more stack.