The "What I want to see" thread!

Comments

• CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    edited November 2013
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2013
    – A isometric ship view option where i can see all my rooms and have my crew do stuff (if theres a crew) like in Faster than Light but more omgfdschg graphics

- If game has water game needs pirates. Period.

- Watersandworms will attract dune-cultists, dont go too far guys

- Please dont make me kill too much stuff, im there for the fascination-part

- Dont you dare to let an onoswhale hunt my ass

- Let me build my stuff but dont get minecraft on me please

- When you combine all the fascinating attributes that water has in all its various states you should be able to create a new dimension just sayin

- ocolus rift

OH! I forgot:

- KAIJUS
  • ShadowRageShadowRage Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75516Members
    -Cthulhu? Ok, maybe some fishpeople and some cultist too
    -Water

Yeah that sounds about good to me
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I think we all can agree on water and helicopters with C4.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I wanna see Kharaa creatures when they were not assimilated by the Bacterium, since lore/art direction stated that many of them resembled underwater creatures.
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    PsiWarp wrote: »
    I wanna see Kharaa creatures when they were not assimilated by the Bacterium, since lore/art direction stated that many of them resembled underwater creatures.

I think the "lore" or art-book said the Kharaa Structures were influnced by underwater fauna/plants ect

The Kharaa creatures were inspired/mutated land animals
  • CicoCico Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33169Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    what about a co-op mode where you need all the crew to do his job in order to operate the submarine.
    something (not really)similar in concept to Gun Of Icarus.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Cico wrote: »
    what about a co-op mode where you need all the crew to do his job in order to operate the submarine.
    something (not really)similar in concept to Gun Of Icarus.

...or big star citizen ships?
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would like harvesters boats that you can upgrade.
    For example:
    -go faster (so faster resource income, and maybe faster then some enemies)
    -go deeper (so new places to harvest)
    -defense weapons like ink cloud (harvester loss is expensive)
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    As long as it doesn't end up getting labeled/cursed as SeaQuest DSV - The Game...then I'm all good.
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    I like that they're trying to make a game that is different. At least according to the other page, it's supposed to be something that doesn't exist yet which is cool. I love new game mechanics and creative gameplay. That is really the strength of the indy developer. I hope they don't disappoint.

I can't really figure out what the game is supposed to be other than an underwater mine craft.

I think an underwater, randomly generated, survival game would be cool. Stuff breaking, taking on water, filling up with water. People going crazy like in The Abyss.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I want a mixture out of Archimedean Dynasty (Schleichfahrt), Battlezone, X-Out, Silent Hunter 3 and maybe Dungeon Keeper ;) Sounds easy, right xD
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    whoppaXXL wrote: »
    When you combine all the fascinating attributes that water has in all its various states you should be able to create a new dimension just sayin

Like minecraft with the nether?
    sharnrock wrote: »
    I can't really figure out what the game is supposed to be other than an underwater mine craft.

Underwater KSP? I imagine that would be more awesome.
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    What i really want to see in SN is some sort of reference to NS like a skulk-crab or a lerk-ray.
    Twig wrote: »
    What i really want to see in SN is some sort of reference to NS like a skulk-crab or a lerk-ray.

Eastereggs!
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Giant enemy crabsssssssss
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Bioluminescence! Would be neat to get some Black lights on the sub as an upgrade so you can see the ocean differently
    14386856462c6de5b4a8b.jpg
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    An overarching storyline to which the primary gameplay is tied. Nothing makes a game more immersive than a good plot. Just because its a sandbox that allows you to do what you want doesn't mean that there can't be some external motivation besides "upgrading my sub".
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    Nazo wrote: »
    I think the "lore" or art-book said the Kharaa Structures were influnced by underwater fauna/plants ect

What, Oni aren't excellent swimmers?

No, but it would really be a waste if the game isn't set in the same universe as NS2... Hints here and there at least. It would go a long way to make the game less generic.
    What I want to hear: Ambient noises. The atmosphere is going to live and die with it's ambient noises.
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    I want to see Aliens from outer space rising from deep abyss, big fucking octopus and hot Sirens ;)
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Namm wrote: »

No, but it would really be a waste if the game isn't set in the same universe as NS2... Hints here and there at least. It would go a long way to make the game less generic.

cameo appearances from khaara structures

Damn, you beat me to it :D

(A patch of infestation, with a bunch of alien structures on the ocean floor (a rare Easter egg) something along those lines
  • Fluid CoreFluid Core Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63260Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sounds... So much is about the sounds!

This isn't sounds specifically, but might be interesting on behaviour to sounds:

Finally something that resembles what I've experienced!

Spoilered as it got so long... Last two are best.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    whoppaXXL wrote: »
    - Watersandworms will attract dune-cultists, dont go too far guys

Looking forward to underwater-thumpers and submarine engines with irregular propelling patterns :)
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Reeke wrote: »
    Exploring with friends, to me, adds so much to sandbox experiences and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

+1 on this.
    I tried Borderlands (1) solo and and thought "Dammit, money wasted". Because Borderlands world is absolutely dull, all the NPCs are static and such. But. A friend of mine invited to play together, and it was a whole different story.
    Even if a game is absolutely terrible, if you are playing with your friend, you can laugh at this and that and have a great time. Damn, you don't even need a game to have good time with your friend. So yeah, Coop makes every game better.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    Now can we have swimup/swimdown keys like in NS1?! lol
  • willow512willow512 Netherlands Join Date: 2013-12-17 Member: 190203Members
    Wow, a game like this has so much potential. Excuse me for going on a rant ;) Thanks for the invitation to share ideas!

Underwater building and exploration to me screams "colonize a procedurally generated water planet!"

Begin the game just after landing with a floating platform that contains primitive facilities to build the very first beginings of your colony. Give it a landing platform if you want trade in your game. Your colony may be floating or be attached to the ocean floor. Build your colony by attaching parts to each other. (Labs, factories, living space, entertainment center, the usual)

The colony doesn't require to be in one piece. Building a second base much deeper in the water should be an option.

With this come a group of colonists who live in your colony, livening it up and doing the various chores. You can take some with you on explorations or let them do simpler work like transporting materials or harvesting known resources..

Exploration can be done with diving gear, suits and submarines. (Submarines are a kind of suits aren't they? why make distinctions?)

But not just tech, give the player advanced surgery and allow him to shape his own body to be able to breathe under water and go deeper down. (Initially a human, then a merman, then an octopus, if the player so wishes because subs and suits can do that trick too)

Science is a resource required to be harvested from the ocean. One plant teaches you to go deeper, another fish to go faster. A worm helps you to avoid certain depth sicknesses. After an initial sighting of an animal or plant your advisors give an idea of the scientific benefit capturing and researching an animal might give. That way exploration is a must, varied by hunting expeditions, and the player can get into trouble by entering dangerous areas (Going too deep, entering a hot zone near a lava spout, first encounter with a blue flash)

The ocean floor goes from shallow to hot ice depths. (Under extreme pressure water turns into a solid) Different depths give different resources to harvest. Mostly plants at top level, the ability to mine minerals deeper down. Lava spouts regurgitate various resources as well as heat. In the deepest depths you have blue flashes, nuclear explosions coming from the core of the planet which bubble upwards for kilometers before the radioactive material cools sufficiently and then sinks back down. Dangerous, but also extremely worthwhile to harvest. And an excuse for super exotic life forms.

(If you encounter a blue flash you might want to flee upwards, but decompression sickness should be in the game)

Life forms and map should preferably be procedurally generated. So you never play the same game twice. One game a fish teaches you to go deeper, another game a floating colony of worms. Bioluminescence is one game learned from an octopus the next from a patch of bacteria living on a rock.

(Blue flashes, hot ice and surgically altering the body ideas come from the book Neptune's Brood where an android ends up hundreds of miles under the surface of a waterworld, check it out the book is awesome)