The "What I want to see" thread!

Comments

• ElmoattackElmoattack Texas Join Date: 2014-04-05 Member: 195179Members

cameo appearances from khaara structures
    Maybe an adaptation of the Khaara that are marine creatures?

• SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    We will consider all things that make sense for us. I don't know much about the CastAR, but I'm sure we'll hear more about it in the future.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    @SteveRock‌ Why worry about limiting perceptual lag? Occulus causes motion sickness, in a water-based game. I'd make it a feature rather than try and eliminate it ;)
  • _mod_mod New Zealand Join Date: 2013-11-01 Member: 188922Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2014
    I'd love to see regions diverse from tropical areas and mid shelf continental regions, to gyre's, trenches, and even arctic regions. It'd be neat to see what the extra O2 in arctic regions does to the Subnautican animals and how differing chemical gradients affects ecosystem composition.
    Actually yeah chem, temp, pressure, and light gradients would be very fun to see on their own. With different animals exploiting niches along the gradients.
    I think as an explorer learning to recognise key indicator sepcies would be an interesting touch to play that could make things less reliant on weird UI bars. When I get to play this I'd be looking for something to make the UI as minimal as possible.

Cryptic behaviour in animals would also be neat as well as animals making decisions like is the human or my natural enemy more important to avoid right now?

Oh and it would be great to see some Ctenophores about!
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Its probably to much to ask, but I want to see "Dwarf Fortress" style history. That is, the rock formations, trenches, fish, lifeforms, dead civilizations, etc would appear to have evolved over time.

Where the player starts could be fairly static to give a predicable early experience (for learning the game). However, whenever the game has "free CPU time", it would age those areas not yet explored in an ever-expanding circle around the player. Once the player enters those areas, it would be obvious that this world is ever changing and yet very ancient.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    @0ni‌, whoops, took another look at something and it turns out you are right, it does have vr mode. Sorry for that.

However, unless CastAR makes a way for it to be compatible with Rift games (which isn't that unlikely), I don't think it should be put on the development roadmap.

However, AR in general means Augmented Reality. That means it is supposed to (afaik) add to what already exists. A HUD on your glasses would be an example of that. But after checking, I see that CastAR isn't going to be AR only.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    @coolitic
    The general feeling around the internet is there is going to be a single AR/VR API once a lot of these products come to market.

Also the best way to look at CastAR is that it allows you to make windows into a virtual world. So for instance I'm building a few simpits for Star Citizen in my man/lan cave. I'll be putting the retro reflective material in place of where the windows would be. This will probably work great for Sub Nautica aswell because the subs are also have cockpits. Might even work better because the limits on modding a single player game tend to be a lot looser. Just gotta make sure my cockpits aren't limited specifically to one game. :p

AR/VR mode on the CastAR work exactly like you'd expect except that the frame rate is higher (120htz). The reason is because for cast mode the glasses work as a shutter to eliminate crosstalk but in AR/VR it's a non issue because each eye is being fed individually.

We shouldn't derail this thread any further though. If you want to talk about it more a seperate thread should be started.

@‌ Topic
    I'd like to see moddable cockpits. Specifically being able to remove ones avatar, chair and console from it... for reasons listed above. :p
    Preferably only when the cockpit is in use though.
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2014
    What I want to see. ( not sure what is already confirmed ):

-Pirate treasure.
    -Ancient alien artifacts, with the turtle gorges that someone posted.
    -Dark underwater areas with the scary transparant fish with lights on their head that someone posted
    -Multiplayer ( it wasn't initially planned right? )
    -Achievements with rewards, but not making it look like an arcade game.
    -You need to be able to catch creatures and put them inside your huge submarine as a pet. You can have multiple pets, but be careful, they might eat eachother.
    Freediving (no scuba gear)
    Certain sea creatures fear (or attack) all equipment (like scuba gear), so you have to "go native" to approach (or pass by) them.

P.S. As you freedive more, you would become more proficient, and could move faster and hold your breath longer.
    Racer1 wrote: »
    Freediving (no scuba gear)
    Certain sea creatures fear (or attack) all equipment (like scuba gear), so you have to "go native" to approach (or pass by) them.

P.S. As you freedive more, you would become more proficient, and could move faster and hold your breath longer.

Free dive at such low depths and you will be sure to implode. =P
  • LachdananLachdanan Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 16995Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos
    various plantlife like Koosh
    Shrooms, blooms, glooms, doomers, noozlers, oozys, boozers, woozilies, tootsies, moochers, loomers, hookers
    and the well known goonies
    what leo.org can be useful for ^^
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Finding the goonies in subnautica would be a highly surreal experience, whether you are old enough to remember them or not.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Finding the goonies in subnautica would be a highly surreal experience, whether you are old enough to remember them or not.

A faint "HEEEEEEEY YOOOOOOU GUUUUUYS" echoes from the depths...

Or imagine happening upon One-Eyed Willy's lil treasure cove, ship and all.
  • _mod_mod New Zealand Join Date: 2013-11-01 Member: 188922Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Fish have electrosensory systems right? Why not technophilic ocean explorers?
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    My own fish tank! it would be fun if we could collect fish species and place them in some kind of own made environment :). Every fish could have a mutagens (different colors/skins, sizes, eyeballs etc.). Rare GOLD FISH, semitransparent fish, multicolored once all same model but unique in its own way. Like borderlands weapon system but adapted for fish multiplicity. Maybe implemented with spore game system to make our own breads.
    The ability to ride larger life forms, more specifically, the aqua gorge.
    Cross breed certain species of fish, resulting in new species with new abilities, that you can try to introduce back into the ecosystem and see what happens. Sometimes good. Sometimes bad.
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2014
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I want to see the rainbow mantis shrimp

(it's a little guy who looks like a rainbow mantis with a shrimp body who has a hammer as a weapon that swings as fast as a .22 caliber bullet underwater)

except one thing

A GIGANTIC VERSION

• ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    gorge fish

Well, we all agreed on aqua-gorge already, which looks more like a turtle =P
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    edited May 2014
    some predators blending in with the environment (like an octopus) or hiding beneath sand (like those flat fish) to scare the living cr*p out of me. emphasis on scaring, not killing the player: it should probably be rare and easily spotable / survivable with some experience (in order to avoid "this is so unfair"-frustration later on).
  • ukeuke Join Date: 2013-07-01 Member: 185840Members
    edited June 2014
    I'd really love to see that day/night cycle as already suggested because if its dark you will see glowing fishes, swarms of glowing fishes, glowing plants ,glowing coral reefs glowing everything with some fog effects which react to the glow like the atmospherics from ns2 but in different colors and maybe only some stream following shapes of atmospheric casting entities (like you got a steam of micro organisms reflecting the light or even creating light)

I just imagine 'swimming' at night and you barely see the environment just some accents of static glowing things but you will see like a vivid city of creatures going their ways like little bluish fishswarms in the foreground and in the you can see the a blurry purle/pink glowing worm shaped creature(the one on the screenshots) swimming behind some rocks you can only see because the worm partly disappears behind them. And as you come closer to some cyan glowing slightly transparent and refracting plants they shrink as they notice a possible threat and change their color to a little less glowing pinkish cyan mix. As you take a closer look you see that the surface of those plants is glassy and the glowing starts in the plant and fades towards the surface.

Got images like this in my head but less bright and with more focus on the moving things and underwater aaaand no human build structures maybe some atlantis like ruins:
    red_lights_by_daroz-d7kuqyu.jpg

This really plays like a butiful national geographic documentary in my head i mean really amazing if it could work like this but with no task the fun would last like 2hours. So an idea could be a survival toned exploration game where you have to keep your submarine moving while search for food and make sure the water treatment works. Maybe you got to search for parts to build stuff to repair/upgrade your submarine. Sometimes you find parts, sometimes they're marked on the map for your comfort or you mark them for your coop players to collect them for you if you cant carry more or want to come back later. Also some creatures shall be able to hurt you and you got some tools to keep them away like an electro shocker that keeps them at a distance of 20meters but the battery last just for 5minutes or an harpoon where you got to recreate/recollect the projectile after shooting this way its not entirely free of weapons but also doesnt turn the game into a brainless fish-shooter. And if you get injured or 'die' some roboter will carry you back to your ship and heal you as long you keep him working.

Man this would be really an unusal game for me to play but i'd still be more than interested but really not in an interactive aquarium screensaver!
  • NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
    edited July 2014
    what i want to see

- sharks as bosses
    - ability to freely roam ocean floor (without submarine)
    - really deep ocean (1000m)
    - deep sea creatures that is massive and glows in transparent color
    - eating crabs/lobsters as energy boost (a carry on cage as secondary weapon)
    - having sunken boats in ocean (titanic) *easter egg!?
    - multiplayer mode (capture the turtle), chase the fish, last man standing (against a shark ai/human)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    What about a medbay of sorts & research bay?

Added bonus for investigating why your researcher who just went out is now lying in medbay screaming? :P
    Yes, im looking at you Irukandji_jellyfish.

So basicly, research and stuff about what you see?
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Oh gosh I want sub flooding and damage so bad I hope we can do it
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited August 2014
    I want freaking tsunamis dude. Like the birth of a tsunami, earthquake, creatures swimming arround like crazy.

AND WHALES ! I fucking love whales, more than anything xD

and gorges, of course ... don't have to mention that
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    If it has Oculus Rift support, how hard would it be to add 3D vision support to the game? I don't have an Oculus Rift, nor do I plan on getting one, but I do have a nice 3D setup I'd love to take advantage of more often.
  • DarakianDarakian Join Date: 2004-09-03 Member: 31233Members
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but some coop option would be fantastic.
  • OrangeFr3akOrangeFr3ak Singapore Join Date: 2014-08-14 Member: 197962Members
    My wishlist:
    - switchable first/third person camera just like DayZ and ArmA
    - character customization
    - single player story/mode
    - mod support/editors