The "What I want to see" thread!

Comments

• Mr MoeMr Moe Join Date: 2009-12-17 Member: 69696Members
    How about flares while diving? And Headlights/Flares near ground
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think with exploration some sort of crafting system is a must, and or Dungeon-esqe wrecks for looting.

I think games like Terreria or Rust fail on the PvE portion, and that is what I have always wanted in a large exploration type game. Challenging, but fun PvE. I would also be interested in a PvP aspect but that wouldn't have to be direct combat, maybe through economic or scientific warfare.

If there is a PvP portion, it would also be cool if you could summon PvE creatures. Like chumming the water around an enemy research station.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I think with exploration some sort of crafting system is a must, and or Dungeon-esqe wrecks for looting.

I think games like Terreria or Rust fail on the PvE portion, and that is what I have always wanted in a large exploration type game. Challenging, but fun PvE. I would also be interested in a PvP aspect but that wouldn't have to be direct combat, maybe through economic or scientific warfare.

If there is a PvP portion, it would also be cool if you could summon PvE creatures. Like chumming the water around an enemy research station.

Terraria failed in the PvE portion? o.O

Where?
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited February 2014
    Maybe it still wont be the focus of the game, but can we have just a few large, gigantic aquatic creatures that defend something and to get past them you must fight it by dropping rocks, making them charge into lava, etc.? Please, I need at least some action (awesome boss fights are what I love the most, hence why I love metroid prime trilogy).
    edited February 2014
    Fluid Core wrote: »
    RadimaX wrote: »
    The one and only thing needed for success

MAxbIZu.png

I don't know why I didn't mention it at the time, but I absolutely adore this. It could even make sense from an evolutionary standpoint for it to be a predecessor of the gorge before it got the need for more speed in a land setting. I've had the fortune to meet a turtle while out snorkeling, and it's a truly remarkable experience. The grace and calm them move with... Just makes you feel great inside swimming along with it.

Lets some it up as ns2 easter eggs in subnautica? I think that would be great idea.
    Reeke wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I'd like the player to have a few ways of lighting things up - I'd assume it's rather dark at the deepest depths.

Imagine you're surrounded by complete darkness, you can't see much beyond your own hands. You have a device that would go off like a small emp explosion - except instead of electricity it emits shockwaves of light around the player, letting you see whats around you for a certain period of time. That could look pretty damn cool.

That would be like the echo visor in metroid prime 2? Basically emits sound pulses that let you sort of "see" around you and other noises produced small sound waves.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    coolitic wrote: »
    Maybe it still wont be the focus of the game, but can we have just a few large, gigantic aquatic creatures that defend something and to get past them you must fight it by dropping rocks, making them charge into lava, etc.? Please, I need at least some action (awesome boss fights are what I love the most, hence why I love metroid prime trilogy).
    Yes, we are definitely planning on having a few scenarios similar to what you are describing.

• shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    Yes, we are definitely planning on having a few scenarios similar to what you are describing.
    Please don't make them overly obvious or easy.

• TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    shriike wrote: »
    Please don't make them overly obvious or easy.

no glowing red weak-spots the size of a house
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014
    Somehow I thought this gif was relevant to SN:

VeELpU5.gif

(full video here: )
  • CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    Amazing Look at the Rare Transparent Pelagic Octopus
    Read more at http://www.techeblog.com/page/10#jMkDbQSQx5MblgkI.99

vS4c6L2.jpg
  • Mr MoeMr Moe Join Date: 2009-12-17 Member: 69696Members
    Look at these.
    microworldsphotography.com/Gallery

Note: I do not own this page. I did not contact the owner of this page, but i think this is quite interesting stuff.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    i'd like to see a Faster Than Light approach where it's still a team game but you have to work together to manage your submarine and upgrade it and explore in a competitive environment. Teams/Submarines would compete in a large underwater procedurally-generated arena to harvest 3 types of resources which they could then bring back to their respective underwater labs to create upgrades for their ships/base/divers that would give them an advantage to destroying the other team's base (or maybe multiple teams). Victory could be achieved by destroying everyone else's base or by accumulation of technology or hitting a resource cap (multiple ways of winning similar to civ 5). An interesting twist could be a third faction which plays for the environment in the form of the sea creatures, and their goal is to destroy all the divers and subs and bases (to discourage favoritism, the sea creatures would be unable to distinguish one submarine team from another).

I don't know, I just really like the idea of submarine fighting (which works like space battles) but with a Starfox 64 setup where you have the ships and then the divers can leave the ships to accomplish goals and even combat. Multiple tiers of fighting with an overall goal plus strategery and game variation due to unpredictability of the sea creature team and the procedurally generated levels. I know it's a tall order to ask for but that game would be eye candy and engaging on multiple levels and you could easily transition the fps/rts ns2 crowd into it.

A sandbox exploration mode could make for a great tutorial/single player game as well.

Just my 2 cents.

~Tig
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    oh, should've read the whole thread, just went back and saw flayra's comment. oh well, i'm sure it will be a great pokemon snap game!
    edited March 2014
    CarNagE1 wrote: »
    Amazing Look at the Rare Transparent Pelagic Octopus
    Read more at http://www.techeblog.com/page/10#jMkDbQSQx5MblgkI.99

vS4c6L2.jpg

I swear that looks like metroid prime. (the bottom one)
    Wait what the heck is that thing?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    T-rex?

Obraxis may have just confirmed we will have underwater onos ridden by marines.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Obraxis wrote: »

That wasn't one of your movies was it!??
  • SirCamOfRonSirCamOfRon Issaquah, Washington Join Date: 2014-01-14 Member: 193134Members
    edited April 2014
    I remember someone not to long ago putting forth the idea of using Oculus Rift goggles, did that ever go anywhere?

I love the idea of going into an airlock or locker room and "Putting on your dive suit" by activating/setting up your Oculus rift and swimming about.
  • SirCamOfRonSirCamOfRon Issaquah, Washington Join Date: 2014-01-14 Member: 193134Members
    edited April 2014
    Also, nothing says amazing easter egg like stumbling across a Deep One city, or even Rlyeh, and having the old gods tear your ship and mind apart.

Or a Pacific Rim Breach/Gypsy Danger head.

Or even learning the truth behind Moby Dick, and how he's actually a gargantuan alien beast.

Maybe a little easter egg that leads to an unlockable Captain Nemo's Nautilus Sub!

I could go on for hours.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    We will most definitely be doing Oculus Rift support. I hacked it in to one of our prototypes, and it was pretty compelling already. SN should be pretty well suited for it, since it's slower paced, there are plenty of vehicular experiences, and it's largely about moving forward and exploring a bizarre world. I think the biggest challenge will just be getting it running smoothly enough to avoid too much perceptual lag (read: vomit).
    I was excited.

Now I'm Ecstatic!
    Would be pretty cool to play subnautica with oculus. I just hope you plan on leaving most of that till a lot later.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    @SteveRock‌
    Would you also consider devices like CastAR and whatever the one Sony is doing for those of us who can't buy Oculus?
    I imagine some sort of common API for VR/AR devices will emerge sometime in the near future but if it doesn't how far do you think you guys will go?
    CastAR has nothing to do with games. Its not vr tech, its ar tech meaning augmented reality.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    CastAR has nothing to do with games. Its not vr tech, its ar tech meaning augmented reality.
    It has 3 modes. True AR (with a clip-on) gives you the Iron Man/Google Glass experience or whatever. VR mode (also with a clip-on) is a full VR experience, 1280x720 @120htz per eye. Then there is Cast AR mode, which is sort of in between, it's not an overlay like normal AR, instead you're choosing what surface is game world and how much real life you let in. Making it particularly awesome for simpits.

I don't see how it has nothing to do with games. That's what it was specifically developed for. Out of curiosity, why do you think they're making it?