[Mod] Game quality improvement and bug fixing mod

SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
edited November 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
This mod brings polishes to the game, and fixes and bugs that I am able to fix.
Fixes in this mod
- Dropships no longer are highlighted in Alien Vision
- You now spawn the model corresponding to what you currently are, no more spawning as Male all the time during the IP spawn animation
- Female sprinting sounds are hooked up
- Fixed tooltips not showing anything for Alien commander for some tech tooltips
- Adjusted some GUI's for better clarity and visibility
- Improved Contamination art icon, now looks like it, not some thing you have never seen
- Fixed Xeno sound continuing to play after you are killed before successful Xeno
- Fixed communication status icons above people's heads, no longer is offset, will float above player's head
- Improved Main menu, fixed bamboo leaf clipping through, bamboo was moving too much, added caustics for the water, added waterfall sound effect, fixed black void on the right
- Added ability to press Escape during loading to cancel loading
- Fixed incorrect path errors for some materials
- Improved performance with bots by removing console spamming debugprint
- Fixed goowall file not found error
- Fixed loading screens not show concept art when loading all maps
- Fixed it outputting an error message when you Xenocide because the model is nil
- Fixed server browser to make it usable for low resolution people
- Fixed using backspace for in-game text chat breaks server filter editing (in-game keys not being blocked when menu is open). Trying to use backspace to delete text in the filter by server name would delete in game chat text instead of text in menu
- Fixed Gorge build menu playing hover sounds even though you can't hover over build menu
- Fixed double whip bug
- Improved the circle around an obs or an arc when you select it (Very ugly before IMO even if intentional)
Before
-Added loading screen during game load (no more black screen)
z7hJ8cD.jpg
After
3CJLTcs.jpg
- Fixed Exo Claw not showing a decal when it hits an object
aNKlHBv.jpg
- Fixed glitchy view model when you get stomped
- Fixed Lerk's not having an emissive property when they should
- Fixed Exo damaged effects remaining on screen while spawning
- Fixed death messages cutting off long names
- Fixed Fade and Onos view models are being outlined when they shouldn't be
- Fixed gamestrings file having out of date information, and some grammar/spelling issues
- Fixed bots moving while evolving (thanks Ghoul)
- FIXED scoreboard KAD to KDA on scoreboard
eSlq1NZ.png
- Fixed Prototype Lab map blip using the RT icon
o0KLOOV.png

Fixed but not in this patch because it massively increases file size
- Pathing near Filtration power node
- A slew of Refinery pathing fixes and flickering texture fixes
- Double whip bug fixed

TODO
- Make icon for mod
- Option to toggle mouse scroll direction (Not bind it sadly...yet)

Already fixed and implemented into the game
- Game tries to precache sounds that don't exist (Female Alien VoiceOvers)
- Builder doesn't create overviews. Doesn't copy .css from "lua/menu"
- Fixed alpha on Alien VoiceOver texture missing alpha on the left side
- Fixed "props can be "sollided" with typo in editor_setup.sml
- Fixed prop_dynamic not having a default model. Meaning you can't place one in Editor because you can't select it
- Fixed movement shuttering on Gorge Tunnels (not releated to odd collision on Shadow Tunnels)
- Lerk weapon slot icon for umbra is using spore art
XSCMCQC.png

Guaranteed to be up-to-date with any update that may come (as I can do that)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=191473534
e5uStiU.png

Server sided of course, because you can't run client side lua mods without failing consistency

There is also the bindings mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=160590541
And the menu pose mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=175350373
Collection of mods http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=191486120

Comments

• ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    Is this like all other mods, it will only work on certain servers?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    Of course, servers need to run this, Client sided lua mods, what's that? Those are a thing? B-)
    Most of these are currently in the backlog of things for them to implement, they may or may not become official.

You can always bug server admins to run this :)
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Electr0 wrote: »
    It makes me laugh when a community member fixed a load of bugs uwe should have, excuses about small team etc aside, i think they could bang out loads of minor improvements like this by now to make ns2 a much more polished and better experience, it's often the small details the make a different, fsfods non flash menu was always great but the game never achieved even half of what that had when it came to server browser and various menu improvements.

QFT. plus i don't see the point of carrying for this game anymore. Each sale week end makes it worse.

• WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    - Added ability to press Escape during loading to cancel loading
    - Option to toggle mouse scroll direction (Not bind it sadly...yet)

OMG, I was waiting for this things for ages, specially the last one.
    Thanks UW... SamusDroid....
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you make in-game NS1 music possible...

I'll adopt orphaned Gorgeys for life
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Zomb3h wrote: »

As in, menu music?

SamusDroid wrote: »
    Zomb3h wrote: »

As in, menu music?
    No, like music that plays on a loop with x-seconds of pauses in between each soundtrack.
    AKA, NS1
    nLCt4DF.png

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    I agree that most of these things should be implemented.
  • xnorxnor Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187916Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited November 2013
    Who needs a music player inside a game when you can use global hotkeys with something like foobar2000?
    With a few hotkeys I can control playback, switch playlists, rate songs etc while gaming..

@SamusDroid: Nice job, UWE really should integrate some or all of the changes.
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    SamusDroid for new gameplay NS2 developer!
    edited November 2013
    xnor wrote: »
    Who needs a music player inside a game when you can use global hotkeys with something like foobar2000?
    With a few hotkeys I can control playback, switch playlists, rate songs etc while gaming..
    Who remembers hearing Jeremy Soule's NS1 soundtrack in the main-menu and in-game...hearing the "futuristic" sounds when you hover the mouse over an option?

Although the NS2 has established a visual theme, it painfully misses a key auditory element of immersion. Once I start playing NS1 music, I have to WAIT for it to finish. There's no way in hell I'm cutting it off mid-way. That's how good and memorable it is for me.

To answer @xnor's question: No one should HAVE to download a program to achieve this memorable experience. It almost feels like a cop-out to do so. Anyone who buys NS2 WITHOUT HAVING PLAYED NS1 won't have the SLIGHTEST clue on what made a game like NS1 so great: immersion.

This game is nearing its its peak in replayability and creating IMMERSION THROUGH AUDIO is one of many routes this game needs to utilize to live up to its name and reputation, excluding NS2's problem of mod-friendliness of course.

Now I won't speak for the developers in terms of what this game needs to sustain replayability, but as a consumer who has little performance issues, auditory atmospheric immersion is of concern here and has been FOR. A. WHIIILE.

Sure we have some map ambiance on some areas, maybe even some pipes creaking in Pipeline, but playing maps on a game centered around atmosphere without setting a tone, expressing a mood, or even remotely conveying a story that NS1-esque MUSIC SO ARTFULLY DONE, we're simply just sensory depriving ourselves on that fulfilling and orgasmic memorable PAZAZZ that NS1 flawlessly imbued: atmosphere.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    @SamusDroid could you remove the too many commands spam? Also great job :3
    edited November 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    @SamusDroid could you remove the too many commands spam? Also great job :3
    Sadly, that is hidden in the exe, something they do in C, not in lua, or I would have made a mod to remove that a loooooong time ago.

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    ETA on gun jam fix?
    edited November 2013
    Such bugs, if they in fact do exist, would not be able to be fixed.

This post never happened.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Could you take a look at the sound and see if you can tone down the horrible reverb the game has, shoot a gun and listen...
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    reason for me to buy a reinforcement badge... can my donation go to this guy?
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    Nice job.

Though i can't blame UWE for not fixing anything, i'm sure they are not sitting on theirs hands all day.
    But some of those things would have been nice to see in-game sooner, like ESC during load.
    edited November 2013
    Jekt wrote: »
    ETA on gun jam fix?
    We've not found any similarities or repro steps yet, very random.
    Could you take a look at the sound and see if you can tone down the horrible reverb the game has, shoot a gun and listen...
    I'm not able to fix this as it's due to compression of the sounds, which saved about 125 Mb of memory.
    Benson wrote: »
    so....are we starting a fund to get SamusDroid the Game Director badge?
    First thing I would have done, fix the tools, implement more key binds and com binds, fix AV, look at more requested community idea/fix and have them fix that
    B-)
    I also have a full 249 backup with shaders, will get those later

PS, you could always type disconnect in console to quit loading
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wonderful mod.. tons of these fixes should be merged into the official builds.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    I'm not able to fix this as it's due to compression of the sounds, which saved about 125 Mb of memory.

Im not talking about compression or sound quality, im pretty sure reverb is an audio engine effect applied to the sounds, the current setting makes a horrible sound after you shoot which is way louder than a reverb should be, take a look at the lua code and you'll see reverb appear, not sure how you turn it down though but i know its in there.

Im not talking about compression or sound quality, im pretty sure reverb is an audio engine effect applied to the sounds, the current setting makes a horrible sound after you shoot which is way louder than a reverb should be, take a look at the lua code and you'll see reverb appear, not sure how you turn it down though but i know its in there.
    How long have you been noticing it, is this new?