[Mod] Game quality improvement and bug fixing mod

Comments

• AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    My reason for KAD is simple.
    K and A are very much related, they should be close together. Also, in ns2 people should not care about k/d, because D is not that important usually (you dont feed the enemy), making it the least important value.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Make it an option?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I'll probably switch it back. Wanted to see peoples reaction
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    KDA is the way to go, there is no other way, any other way is retarded.

Because of why?

Because that's the way every other game has it and it's traditional to have it kills then deaths, and assists is just some irrelevant information shoved off at the end.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    No, no options, I don't want this conflicting with other mods, like the bindings mod.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like KAD...

I don't look at K/D as a measure of how useful I am being. I look at (K+A)/D to see how useful I am being. That is why I check the scoreboard in the first place, to see how useful I am being in comparison to the team.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Assists count even if you hit one bullet though, therefore usefulness based on that is highly subjective.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Assists count even if you hit one bullet though, therefore usefulness based on that is highly subjective.

I think the enemies you only get a bullet in even out with the enemies you almost kill.
    Regardless, it's still KDA in every other game ever. It's just like the mousewheel being backwards, like the game is trying too hard to be different.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I often end up with scores like 4 kills and 26 deaths because I am the only one who keeps going on suicide missions into the enemy Hive to take out some upgrades. I want a "structures killed" counter too. :/
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    CrushaK wrote: »
    I often end up with scores like 4 kills and 26 deaths because I am the only one who keeps going on suicide missions into the enemy Hive to take out some upgrades. I want a "structures killed" counter too. :/

I like "resource damage" better, especially if it has a cumulative counter for the whole team.

This would also count every time a lifeform dies, or a weapon times out (or explodes in the case of mines). I feel it'd be a very real number to judge how much "damage" has been done.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Gotta report back. Though changes like adding a loading screen and making the server list window just a bit wider are totally tiny things... these changes achieved a MAJOR wow-effect on my 24 inch monitor. I immediately noted the bigger server list window and it looks much MUCH more impressive. It's amazing what those few horizontal pixels can do.

Just wanted to tell you that.

PS: Please change the scoreboard order back to K-A-D. I got used to it and I think it makes sense.
    PPS: I found a bug. The biomass upgrade icons are switched. The small (20res) biomass upgrade got the big picture and the big (30res) upgrade got the small icon now:
    e77j.png
    edited November 2013
    I plan on reversing back to KAD today, after getting good feedback, too many prefer KAD over KDA.
    The Biomass icons are not a bug, I intend to make it so that increasing the biomass on a hive will increase the amount of icons. First Biomass = 1, second = 2, third = 3. I have the art made for it already and I just need to modify some code to implement it. May just revert idk.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    I've played on a server that was running the mod. It included the "com binding". I had an issue with key assignment.

The mod default config assigns actions like audio message to key. The problem was : i had these key already assigned to voice etc... The mod config seems to have precedence on the usual key config. Maybe the mod should check if there are conflicts and avoid reassign key in that case.

I would prefer a radial menu for messages and no key assignment for messages at first. Then i'll configure if wanted.

Good point on commander bindings.

Keep up the good stuff.
    My 2 cents.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Yeah had the same problem. People complained that their keys were being overridden.

lso had frequent memory leak related server crashes when running the bug fix mod in conjunction with shine+ns2stats, chud and the NSL mod. No crash since removing it and keeping the others.
    edited November 2013
    Well, it does check, and of course you need to simply go into the settings and rebind things. Of course when you have that many mods running you are bound to run into issues. If any of the mods modify the same file you will get conflicts. Try the mod again after you bind the new keys.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    How difficult would it be to create a mod that would bring back the old voice/request menu system?

That is, Z and X for chat/request menus then 1-6 for the actual request. (similar to TF2)

Personally I find it easier to use than a radial menu, and it condenses the buttons needed for all the requests
    Not even attempting it
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Not even attempting it

I'll bet :P just wondering if you know if it's even possible (just asking cause u have done the most work in this regard afaik)

I'll stop derailing now
    Of course it's possible, will someone do it? No.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ahhh damn I remember that. It was awesome.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    player/structure damage and accuracy on the scoreboard pls
    edited November 2013
    I don't think you realize how costly it is to update the scoreboard.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    clearly not or i'd do it myself
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Updating the scoreboard takes a lot of resources you could say, the more you add, the more problems you will have like lag and spikes.

@Hamlet I put most of those fixes in myself ;)
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Top job @samusdroid!!! Do you think we have hit a ceiling on performance increases for the most part?
    While you can always improve performance not many changes are coming.
    It's things loading on demand that kills you.
  • OuchOfDeathOuchOfDeath Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182825Members
    This is absolutely fantastic. Thanks for basically bugfixing the game. I guess having the game written in LUA is handy here and there.