Iron Sights: Revisited

Schroder8823Schroder8823 Join Date: 2013-06-14 Member: 185561Members
I believe that NS2 could be vastly improved by slowing down the game play in a manner that utilizes iron sights.

Currently, as a player, I feel like my immersion is broken by the lack-luster gun play in the game. Watching marines bunny hop around while wildly firing their weapons
makes me feel disconnected, as if I'm playing Duke Nukem 3d or something.

What if you were watching the movie Aliens, and Sigorney Weaver started jumping around the aliens while shooting them like it was some kind of Saturday morning cartoon?
I'd turn that movie off right then and there.

There's a reason why AAA titles use realistic weapons while NS2 is going so broke that they've resorted to begging for funds. The gun play is sub-par. It's as simple as that.

I'm suggesting that they slow the game down, allow immersion to take hold. Slowly clearing rooms with your squad in a tense, realistic situation is a thousand times better
then running into a room until an alien attacks you, then bunny hopping around like some kind of jackrabbit until the alien is killed.

Think about it, lets bring NS2 to the modern era. I want to feel connected to my character, I want to feel immersed in the game. I want to bring up my sights, and slowly check
every corner. If an alien gets close to me, I deserve to die. It adds much more fear, and tension into the game.

Let me know what you think.

Comments

• Schroder8823Schroder8823 Join Date: 2013-06-14 Member: 185561Members
    No.

Brilliant counter argument. Bravo. I can tell you put a lot of thought into that one. Boy, you sure are clever.
  • ionfluxionflux Join Date: 2012-11-24 Member: 173039Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    there's no bunnyhopping in ns2. the closest substitute would be a walljump. ns2 skulks are so nerfed already. if you ever tried ns1 you'll know what bunnyhopping really means. no need for "iron sights" if you can't aim with a crosshair already.
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Iron sights will never be implemented in the game. NS2 is, and always will be more arcade-y than so-called "AAA" games.

NS1 was created as a mod for Half-Life, in the vein of TFC, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, etc.
    Those games dont' have Aim-Down-Sights (ADS), and yet their qualities have not been diminished one bit.

When it comes down to it, no iron sights is a part of NS' rich history--I wouldn't expect that to change any time soon.
  • TripleZeroTripleZero Join Date: 2012-11-06 Member: 167764Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree with everything you say OP, and i think NS2 would truly be alot better if it were designed like that. Sadly it isnt and i highly doubt the gameplay will ever be changed in such a direction.

Its true though that is really ridicoulus how marines jump around crazily (I admit, i do it too)
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    No.

Brilliant counter argument. Bravo. I can tell you put a lot of thought into that one. Boy, you sure are clever.

The pace of the game doesn't really make for time to aim down a sight. Consider how fast the Alien lifeforms move, it doesn't make any sense to aim slowly down a sight (you will get eaten up).
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    This thread is silly

You are silly
    ionflux wrote: »
    there's no bunnyhopping in ns2. the closest substitute would be a walljump. ns2 skulks are so nerfed already. if you ever tried ns1 you'll know what bunnyhopping really means. no need for "iron sights" if you can't aim with a crosshair already.

Bhop is kinda in NS2 from what I understand, you gain speed by wall jumping, maintain it by bhoping
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    You never know what you might encounter in the universe, the ns2 marines encountered the kharra. The kharra are fast, agile, and experts in stealth. Go ahead, use an iron site.

And when one says bhopping I take it as referring to the bug that allowed one to gain speed by hopping a certain way. Ns2 does not have this. You gains speed though a number of means, like wall hopping, and maintain momentum by hopping. Just because a bunny hops does not mean any hopping is bunny hopping. Bunnys accelerate when hopping, kharra don't.

• ionfluxionflux Join Date: 2012-11-24 Member: 173039Members, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Nazo wrote: »
    This thread is silly

You are silly
    ionflux wrote: »

Bhop is kinda in NS2 from what I understand, you gain speed by wall jumping, maintain it by bhoping

apparently "closest substitute" to bunnyhopping doesn't ring a bell to you.

now, show me how you bhop the same in ns1 and sustain that in a long distance - on the ground. then i'll agree with you.

until then, personal insults are unnecessary.
  • Schroder8823Schroder8823 Join Date: 2013-06-14 Member: 185561Members
    I don't think you should be able to jump and fire your weapon at the same time. Period.

You can say that the game is arcadey by design, and you'd be correct- but it still sucks.

I'm not merely calling for iron sights to be added, I'm pushing for pacing that better suits
    that kind of gameplay. Better gun-play, slower gameplay.

TFC, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat may have been successful games in their time, but
    this is today, and people vote with their wallets. Tactical shooters are in.

I'm pushing for a more robust and satisfying shooter experience that just isn't possible
    with the current shooting mechanics. Hell, the shooting in "Aliens: Colonial Marines" is
    better, and that is really sad.
  • HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    No, thank you. Today's FPS market is already saturated with these 'realistic' and 'tactical' FPSes. I'm perfectly fine with there being a more arcadey bent to this game.

Colonial Marines owes much of it's good gunplay feel to it's sound assets (read: it has the pulse rifle sound from the movie) rather than any kind of silly ADS mechanic. ADS was horrible in that game anyway because of the nature of the xenomorphs (yeah, just try hitting a lurker xeno class with acrobatics while using your silly ironsights) and the fact that it didn't really seem to make much of a tangible difference in terms of accuracy. I always used the laser sight or just shot from the hip when I played marines in that game because using the sights was a complete waste of time.
  • wopwopwopwop Join Date: 2013-08-23 Member: 187037Members
    edited September 2013
    No.

The pace of the game doesn't really make for time to aim down a sight. Consider how fast the Alien lifeforms move, it doesn't make any sense to aim slowly down a sight (you will get eaten up).

^This.
    The current pace of the game simply doesn't allow ironsights.
    And such fast pace is part of the fundamental design of NS2: not gonna change anytime soon imho.

If you can't stand it, you'd might want to consider other games out there.
  • abluemanablueman Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188045Members
    1) They arnt begging, they are creating a different business model as they dont like supporting developement through using a microtransaction system, personally I applaud this. Every time someone impliments a microtransaction system, a) this becomes the main focus, making money .. the game suffers, and b) It becomes almost nessecary to pay to play in order to become competative generally.

2) They would have to redesign and rebalance damn near everything to achieve what you and one other person seem to want.
    Sorry but in game developement they generally design for the majority.

3) You could go and play planetside2 that seems more your kind of game. Iron sights, slow more realistic and involved.
    I play both, I like planetside but its a game you cant just jump in to for a quick match .. thats why I play NS2.

Both games have their place in the market and sure we would all like a game designed our way, might I recommend the top level reinforced if you want this and have 75k spare :)

http://www.naturalselection2.com/reinforced/
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    By the time you look down your sights and try to shoot, a skulk will bite you from behind or a teammate will have killed the skulk you're shooting at.

No real point in Ironsights in NS2.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    There was a mod that did this. Looked nice.
  • zenefzenef Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183762Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    TFC, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat may have been successful games in their time, but
    this is today, and people vote with their wallets. Tactical shooters are in.
    If something is "in", it doesnt mean its good...
    Better gun-play, slower gameplay.
    I would like to see gameplay beign even faster. Which isnt possible without huge improvement in performance. (faster aliens, more powerful marines to counter it)

• HobocopHobocop Join Date: 2010-11-23 Member: 75226Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Tactical shooters being 'in' is more of a statement about the big money to be made with consoles and dual-analog control setups that simply can't keep up with the pace of a game like NS2 (well, not without heinous amounts of aim assist anyway) than said 'tactical shooters' being better in any tangible fashion.
  • SeahuntsSeahunts Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151973Members
    I only read as far as "slowing down gameplay" before I clicked disagree.

Fun > immersion

The market is saturated with slow paced tactical shooters. Let us have one fast and fun one ffs.
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    having no ADS has nothing to do with the game's popularity, AAA games are popular because they're so simple and easy a 5 y/o could play them, you need brains and patience to enjoy ns2
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited September 2013
    the game is FAST PACED and meant to be decided in SPLIT SECOND DECISIONS. ADS does NOT fit into the game STYLE, let alone the game SPEED. Kindly move along.

Also, the gun play isnt the reason why ns2 is a cult classic and not a aaa million copy seller, it's because it's slightly more complicated than your average game.
  • MaxunitMaxunit Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    To be honest:

As a lot of people said above: Keep NS2 fast-paced and do not change it into a "realistic" and slow shooter. There are enough Call of Duty Games/Clones and Battlefield Games/Clones on the market already.

Sure, it might look retarded to you, if a Marine jumps around and also is firing his weapon, but that's how it was in NS1 and that's how it is in NS2.

Also, such stuff applies to one of the most selling and most successful franchises out there, which NS1 is based on. Half-Life (and a lot other, like Doom, Duke Nukem etc).

I mean, if I want to play a slow-paced (and "realistic") shooter, I might grab a game like Battlefield.

Natural Selection 2, on the other hand, is the pure joy, if I want something fast-paced and challenging. Even Commander Mode can get really fast-paced at times.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    The reason NS2 isn't selling a bazillion copies is because its:
    a) an indie title with limited advertising
    b) has a steep learning curve and is much more complicated than your typical shooter
    c) suffers from numerous technical issues.

The gun-play is just fine, in fact its what a lot of us old school players want out of a first person shooter. A fast paced skill reliant shooter where aim and movement is an important factor in outplaying the other guy/gal. But NS2 does something great, and marries that concept with a deep tactical system where all the skill in the world wont save you if you don't use your head and coordinate with your team. Only the combination of the two makes a truly great NS2 player, and its what makes this game so great and addictive.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Maybe UWE should just add it in for one week. I'm pretty sure after that week, nobody will ever bring up the idea of iron sights again. :D
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    There are no sights on the TSF weaponry and the aiming is done through their helmet display, showing them where their bullets end up. TSF technology has negated recoil as well, so there is no need for aim down sight.

Also gameplay , flow and speed says no.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Slow down game play? I'm just picturing my skulk forced to swim through jello to get to the marines...
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There's a reason why AAA titles use realistic weapons

Oh joy. This again. Not going to say anything about it, just point it out and shake my head.

I'm struggling to understand what ADS would add to the game. It sounds more like you want an entire redesign of the game into an action/horror game, and ADS is just a bizarre justification for it.

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited September 2013
    The only reason I started playing video games again after 6 years from when CAL died is because this game stayed true to fast paced twitch and tracking.

If this game were slowed down then no one would play it and the strategy elements would be ruined.

edit: If this game ever makes enough money for a single player campaign, sure it'd be swell
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    RATTAK TAK TAK! Emptying my last clip on three rushing skulks. Jumping away, fast switch to pistol.. BAM BAM BAMBMAM! killing two.. switch to my Axe CHOPCHOP.. last one dies..
    Makes me e-cum all over my little pc mancave (or corner really).
    Gun play in NS2 is awesome, just different.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    edited September 2013
    @CCTEE Oh yeah? I got my first triple kill with a single shot from an rail Exo last night... Look at you running and jumping and frantically trying to live, while I'm over here "pew" and all three are dead.