253 is out! Reinforced has arrived. Discuss! (civily)

Comments

• AconitAconit Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185502Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Had the laggy mouse sensitivity issue, made the game unplayable for me :

Seems to run ok if you turn off your custom crosshair mod !
  • baconliciousbaconlicious Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187199Members
    edited August 2013
    i used to have 100fps or something, now it looks like i have 10 or less. Drifters 8res? so if 2marines kill drifter+rt alien team can say gg wp go next. not even discussing the others random nerfs/buffs.

edit: why on earth would make free weekend with this performance, promote a bad product is the recipe for failure, it's in the first page of any marketing 101 book
    edit2: rip competitive ns2.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edit: why on earth would make free weekend with this performance, promote a bad product is the recipe for failure, it's in the first page of any marketing 101 book
    Because we had to lock in the free weekend and sale date with Valve weeks ago, before these issues were known. We are working hard on getting fixes out ASAP.
  • ED0ggYED0ggY Join Date: 2003-06-08 Member: 17103Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    loving the update.. performance is a bit of a let down tho .. but hope they get it fixed!
    Because we had to lock in the free weekend and sale date with Valve weeks ago, before these issues were known. We are working hard on getting fixes out ASAP.
    so, maybe test the build before lock in stuffs ? why on earth r u rushing the things? players r in a hurry? you need to dont listen to players sometimes, and sometimes you need to. It seems that UWE is full of cool guys wanting to do cool stuffs with some cool players beta testing, but in the end the result isnt good. you may want to put some annoying guy that complains about a bunch of stuff in the beta test group. most of the comp games end in 5minutes and no one seems to care.
    Oh well, game was nice and fun but it got nerfed.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Aconit wrote: »

I cannot emphasize this enough - if you are having ANY problems with NS2 AT ALL right now the FIRST thing you should always do is disable mods and try to find servers that are not running mods. The irony here is that in order to fix issues that are on our end we have to push small hotfix patches, but those hotfix patches are going to make mods do things far more broken than the original issue.

Side note: the new crosshair is actually pretty nice, if visually busy.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    lets see a good fix to all these bugs before i donate more money...
    http://www.naturalselection2.com/reinforced/
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Narfwak wrote: »

I cannot emphasize this enough - if you are having ANY problems with NS2 AT ALL right now the FIRST thing you should always do is disable mods and try to find servers that are not running mods. The irony here is that in order to fix issues that are on our end we have to push small hotfix patches, but those hotfix patches are going to make mods do things far more broken than the original issue.

that'd be reasonable if the original default crosshairs weren't nearly useless in my resolution. could you guys not just add an official 4 pixel white blob for a crosshairs so I don't have to go to third party solutions... for a 4 pixel white blob? the art assets would literally take 1 minute...it's a 4 pixel white blob.. it doesn't even need to be aperfect blob.... just a blob.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester

Doesn't fix it, you're just having a placebo; issue with the engine for sure
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    amoral wrote: »

that'd be reasonable if the original default crosshairs weren't nearly useless in my resolution. could you guys not just add an official 4 pixel white blob for a crosshairs so I don't have to go to third party solutions... for a 4 pixel white blob? the art assets would literally take 1 minute...it's a 4 pixel white blob.. it doesn't even need to be aperfect blob.... just a blob.
    What resolution are you playing with? If you could make a tech support thread with the issue you're having + include your hardware setup and all your settings then PM me the link I might actually be able to help you but I'm pretty clueless as to what's going on with the game for you. :(
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    edited August 2013
    amoral wrote: »

What resolution are you playing with? If you could make a tech support thread with the issue you're having + include your hardware setup and all your settings then PM me the link I might actually be able to help you but I'm pretty clueless as to what's going on with the game for you. :(

withdrawn, i was not ok with the old crosshair, but the new modifications are tolerable, since they've include an actual central dot now. still overly busy, and haven't tried alien and parasite and spit, but yeah, the other ones were a bit large and a bit imprecise for my liking. I've been 4-8 pixels for every damn fps i've played going back 10 years. with the only variation being the color of the pixels. so, that was one of the first things i did when i got ns2.

maybe i'll even stay on a server if i find myself being defaulted to official crosshairs now... before i'd almost immediately disconnect if i wanted to play marines.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I run vanilla NS2 (no mods), and haven't found any problems - the game loads slower, but I can live with that. My systems isn't great (3GZ dual core with 4G ram and a GTX650), and I am CPU bound, but haven't noticed any problems (game breaker that people are describing here). Performance is pretty much on par with build 250. I will be putting some money back to the devs via reinforcement donation or upgrading to a deluxe edition (can't decide which), as a way of saying thanks for all the new stuff and the continue effort they put in for updates and fixes. See you on a server some time.
  • SlowLeftySlowLefty Join Date: 2011-02-13 Member: 81653Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The bad:

- Drifters cost to much! They are required for commanding, yet die quickly, it's now like losing a harvester.

- No Khammander res. Seriously? I can't even heal my own hive thats been raped by 20 explosive grenades.

- Building a whip to research leap seems unintuitive, along with other structures for alien upgrades.

The good:

- The new interactive tutorial has been needed for a long time, excellent job.

- The fade nerf, you can still kill, but no longer scout the entire map at hyper speed.

- Biodome is beatiful, and will be great with a few tweaks.
  • WispWisp Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63211Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    so, maybe test the build before lock in stuffs ? why on earth r u rushing the things? players r in a hurry? you need to dont listen to players sometimes, and sometimes you need to. It seems that UWE is full of cool guys wanting to do cool stuffs with some cool players beta testing, but in the end the result isnt good. you may want to put some annoying guy that complains about a bunch of stuff in the beta test group. most of the comp games end in 5minutes and no one seems to care.

Have a little respect, please. These guys pour themselves into this game. They are a small team with limited resources - they can't test everything properly.
  • The_Flying_FishThe_Flying_Fish Join Date: 2003-11-30 Member: 23757Members
    i'm not giving a damn cent after hugh outright saying he won't support australian ns2
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I feel like I'm one of the fortunate ones who has had no noticeable loss of performance with Reinforced.

Just a few notes about Female Rine (not sure if they've been brought up earlier, haven't looked through previous pages):
    - Going into an Exo changes voice back to male (so long as you remain in the suit).
    - Infantry Portal spawning model is still male (I think?).
    - I've had a weird bug where, if I sprint with my welder out after welding something, the on-screen model remains stiff (i.e. the 1st person hand/welder).
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited August 2013
    Know pain wrote: »
    UWE Stop telling us how to play the game. Alien vision is so bright now it hurts my eyes and if you get into a fight with marines and aliens you can’t tell them apart.

Someone decided to make NS2 a game where people could make a lot of mods for it, however, now UWE does not like some of those mods and are now asking those mod creators to change them.

Pay attention to the video they provided. Alien vision is now too bright when environment is bright, and normal when environement is normal or dark.

You may also want to calibrate your display either in general or just for the game.
    casan0vax wrote: »
    I feel like I'm one of the fortunate ones who has had no noticeable loss of performance with Reinforced.

Just a few notes about Female Rine (not sure if they've been brought up earlier, haven't looked through previous pages):
    - Going into an Exo changes voice back to male (so long as you remain in the suit).
    - Infantry Portal spawning model is still male (I think?).
    - I've had a weird bug where, if I sprint with my welder out after welding something, the on-screen model remains stiff (i.e. the 1st person hand/welder).
    All of these are known issues being worked on but they probably won't make it in until early next week.
  • badmoonbadmoon Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7212Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great video! I'm looking forward to many of these features!
    Wisp wrote: »

Have a little respect, please. These guys pour themselves into this game. They are a small team with limited resources - they can't test everything properly.

pls man. if they r a small team they have to act accordingly.
    they just changed the whole game 2months ago with the balance test becoming the new vanilla. now they just changed the entire thing again. they rush things and end up screwing them, look the competitive scene, teams r dissapearing 1 after another. the next nsl season will be only 1 global division cause there isn't enough teams.

but instead to sit back, and think it through they r rushing 1thing after another, doing some "balance" changes that makes no sense.
    they r a small team, cause of that they should do things slowly and test them properly, not just launch a full of bugs patch to break the game and go a free weekend to raise the amount of players momentarly.

i dont mean to be disrespectful, im just saying what i think, i play ns for like 7 years or something, but if you think ppl should smile and say "here, have my money while we wait you to fix this" you are wrong, not that u r totally wrong, some ppl will do this, maybe even i buy something, but most ppl will just abandon the game.

they need to think the impact of the changes they r doing, and i hope they dont rush another patch after this one.

meanwhile i'll become a forum player since i cant play the game. freaking 10fps.

edited August 2013
    Just to rererereiterate: if you have had or continue to have performance issues please visit the tech support forum and make a post detailing what the issue seems to be. I know we've been on the general forums all day trying to help with this stuff but generally we try to keep this over there, and you're honestly a lot more likely to get a genuinely helpful reply/solution from a community member or developer there.
  • WispWisp Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63211Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Wisp wrote: »

pls man. if they r a small team they have to act accordingly.
    they just changed the whole game 2months ago with the balance test becoming the new vanilla. now they just changed the entire thing again. they rush things and end up screwing them, look the competitive scene, teams r dissapearing 1 after another. the next nsl season will be only 1 global division cause there isn't enough teams.

but instead to sit back, and think it through they r rushing 1thing after another, doing some "balance" changes that makes no sense.
    they r a small team, cause of that they should do things slowly and test them properly, not just launch a full of bugs patch to break the game and go a free weekend to raise the amount of players momentarly.

i dont mean to be disrespectful, im just saying what i think, i play ns for like 7 years or something, but if you think ppl should smile and say "here, have my money while we wait you to fix this" you are wrong, not that u r totally wrong, some ppl will do this, maybe even i buy something, but most ppl will just abandon the game.

they need to think the impact of the changes they r doing, and i hope they dont rush another patch after this one.

meanwhile i'll become a forum player since i cant play the game. freaking 10fps.

If you don't mean to be disrespectful, then don't be disrespectful. Your tone is insulting when you say that they don't listen to player feedback or that they don't care.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't criticize the game. Just do it in a friendly and respectful manner. Say, "I think the game would be better if you did such and such."

• Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    @coolitic

Pay attention, I have learned that UWE cares more about how the game looks than how the game plays. Let’s look at bio-dome for a second, looks awesome but that’s it. Too much glass, too much natural lighting so that even the power goes out its still bright. Massive missing vents.

Its been said before there was nothing wrong with AV in the previous patches or the previous YEARS. If UWE changed it for the reason to make aliens look at the artwork, then they are in the wrong. And even if the power is out marines still appear as a blinding white thing and so do other aliens.
  • shark_shark_ Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187141Members
    edited August 2013
    Know pain wrote: »
    @coolitic

Pay attention, I have learned that UWE cares more about how the game looks than how the game plays. Let’s look at bio-dome for a second, looks awesome but that’s it. Too much glass, too much natural lighting so that even the power goes out its still bright. Massive missing vents.

Its been said before there was nothing wrong with AV in the previous patches or the previous YEARS. If UWE changed it for the reason to make aliens look at the artwork, then they are in the wrong. And even if the power is out marines still appear as a blinding white thing and so do other aliens.

A - fucking- men

In combat, marines have radar/minimap. Aliens have AV.

Actually, I and most good players spend 90% of their time looking at the map anyway. Maybe we should remove the map too so we can look at the artwork more.
  • Live_FeedLive_Feed Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72419Members
    onos stomp so delicious.

MulkMulkMulk knows how delicious ;)
  • HeavenfallHeavenfall Join Date: 2010-08-14 Member: 73620Members
    edited August 2013

This is a bullshit response, because "before these issues were known" sounds like there was something sneaking up on you. There wasn't. You CHOSE to publish a major beta patch to ALL customers days before free weekend.

Who thinks doing all this at the same time makes sense?

* Turn every customer into a beta-tester

* Publish new render engine

* Release game for Linux

* Release new content (biodome, female marine)

* Steam free weekend, 75% off (locked in)

What should you have done? You should never have published 252, 253, 254. If the game isn't ready for Linux release, then the game is not ready for Linux release. Instead, you opt to release a patch that provides a sub-par Linux experience and ruins the game for many Windows players. On top of this, you decided that because people don't want to beta test your game anymore, it was apparently a good idea to turn EVERYONE into beta testers. And worst of all, knowing all these unknowns were due (linux release, render engine, new content) you still had a locked in free weekend at the same time.

What the fuck is going on at Unknown worlds?

• ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited August 2013
    All I can say is thank you UWE for the FREE content. I can see you've put a lot of effort in and I know from previous patching that any big errors that have appeared will be solved fast.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I've only played a few rounds so far, but here's the initial feedback.

+
    Biodome is very pretty indeed
    Vortex now useful and interesting
    Lerk bite speed gives a real incentive to play aggressively and allows you to be useful at combat later in the game as well (rather than almost completely a support class as before)

-
    Input lag - NOT JUST MOUSE! Oh my God it's horrible. I know you know about it and I look forward to the fix, but please make sure you address the keyboard lag as well. Moving as as skulk happens about 150-250ms after the keypress. I haven't tried marines yet but from the comments on here I guess it's a universal problem just now.
    Performance - this has taken a massive nosedive, unfortunately. Again, I know you know about it, and I look forward to some fixes.
    Alien visuals - The problem with highlighting things on the normal alien vision is that it's WAY too visually cluttered, now. I could see things before, but now with the reduced performance, overcluttered visuals, and draw damage changes, close quarters combat is VERY hard indeed if you're playing against good players (by which I mean at least a couple of div2 or div3 comp players on the other team). I understand the argument that 'we didn't want people just to default to having alien vision on because then they're not looking at the lovely environment' but this is very flawed thinking. As marine, I get to see the lovely environments, and the difference between playing alien and marine is more marked - this asymmetry is very pleasing. In addition, the previous alien vision allowed you to track marines in CQC, the draw damage helped, and movement was also easier (because the old alien vision made seeing where corners/edges/walls were much simpler, which is necessary to aid alien movement at high level).

You're working on input lag and performance - fantastic, thanks for continuing this after what has obviously been an epic amount of work from all parties to get this out ahead of time.
    But PLEASE also allow us the option to use a simplified visual for aliens, or at the very least don't make it doubly hard with the changed draw damage!! It is too visually cluttered for aliens with normal vision + highlights + infestation + lighting + hud + crosshair etc etc.
  • KernKern Join Date: 2013-06-27 Member: 185731Members
    Roobubba wrote: »
    You're working on input lag and performance - fantastic, thanks for continuing this after what has obviously been an epic amount of work from all parties to get this out ahead of time.
    But PLEASE also allow us the option to use a simplified visual for aliens

THIS
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    All I can say is thank you UWE for the FREE content. I can see you've put a lot of effort in and I know from previous patching that any big errors that have appeared will be solved fast.

one way to thank them is by donating to them.