253 is out! Reinforced has arrived. Discuss! (civily)

Comments

• BurzghashBurzghash Join Date: 2012-09-25 Member: 160742Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Vsync isn't working, similarly to how it wasn't in the last preparatory patch either. Despite being on (or double/triple buffered), my fps still shoots beyond my monitor refresh rate, and gameplay feels choppy/stuttery.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    use maxfps 60 command in console?
  • JCDJCD Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So free weekend with this broken performance patch gee... :P
  • OuchOfDeathOuchOfDeath Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182825Members
    JCD wrote: »
    This is a disaster about to occur if they don't put a patch out in a few hours to address all the crashing, stuttering and input lag issues. I'd frankly be embarrassed to have such a broken product on sale. Here's to hoping they have a Starbucks right next door.

• IronHalikIronHalik Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104611Members
    So, any luck playing on linux? I constantly get 'files differ from the server ones' error. Even on servers running biodome (which should be 253).
  • tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    as someone who just tried Natural Selection 2 out for the first time as a native program on a Linuxoid system, what really surprised me (in a positive way) was that Natural Selection 2 is one of the few programs that actually knows how to 'behave' when you press -alt-tab. Thumbs up for that!

Aside from that, I'd consider the linux version of this game as a beta version. Could someone point me to the bugtracker? Or is there only the TechSupport forum?
  • BurzghashBurzghash Join Date: 2012-09-25 Member: 160742Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    use maxfps 60 command in console?

You tell me - does maxfps x accomplish the same functionality as triple buffering vsync?
  • notyourbuddynotyourbuddy Join Date: 2013-04-17 Member: 184868Members
    Everything looks awesome (on paper) and now Linux! Yeah!
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Gonna try this out. Might make me play NS2 again, but, ill try it first and post again later.
  • vinnivinni Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187184Members
    I can confirm vsync not working, also when I open up the options menu while being in the waiting room it looks like this (screenshot attached) - afterwards I can't exit the menu, even when I enter the game it stays on top. Hitting escape doesn't help either, only option is ALT+F4.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    UWE Stop telling us how to play the game. Alien vision is so bright now it hurts my eyes and if you get into a fight with marines and aliens you can’t tell them apart.

Someone decided to make NS2 a game where people could make a lot of mods for it, however, now UWE does not like some of those mods and are now asking those mod creators to change them.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    JCD wrote: »

At least we have our own reserved slot system now. That's been the #1 problem with free weekends in the past.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    @Knowpain the part about the alien vision, That is exactly the intention of it. So what is the problem?
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    edited August 2013
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2013
    Finally home to try NS2 on Linux :D

Results: IT RUNS!!!!!

FPS is very low in Linux: http://imgur.com/3LAIJlu,XR8cvB8
    profile screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/Ze2qlHQ.jpg
    ~10FPS in RR, lower ingame, both high and low settings @1920x1080 fullscreen windowed (could not select full screen)
    It appears something is hogging CPU.

I'm an idiot and started the game twice somehow.

Actual fps and profiler: http://imgur.com/WjgT7lV,3sU5CBI
    ~30-50FPS!
    PS: Biodome looks AWESOME

Driver used: fglrx 13.20.5 [Aug 15 2013]
    distro: Manjaro
    Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
    RAM: 2x 4GiB DIMM DDR3 Synchronous 1333 MHz (0.8 ns)
    GFX: Sapphire 7950 OC
    drive: 120GB Crucial_CT120M50

Let me know if I can help with any other data or if you would like me to try different drivers/distros, have one spare SSD for trying out stuff in Linux.

PS to everyone, help out UWE: http://www.naturalselection2.com/reinforced/ !
  • VicentoVicento Join Date: 2007-04-21 Member: 60683Members
    ""- Alien Vision got replaced by Dark Vision and Hive Sight. All important things are outlined by default now and the Dark Vision is only supposed to be used in dark rooms (it actually blinds you if you look at bright lights with it, like a nightvision device)""

Aliens are aliens ....tell me why they should see like humans and be sensitive to bright light ? :p
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Vicento wrote: »
    ""- Alien Vision got replaced by Dark Vision and Hive Sight. All important things are outlined by default now and the Dark Vision is only supposed to be used in dark rooms (it actually blinds you if you look at bright lights with it, like a nightvision device)""

Aliens are aliens ....tell me why they should see like humans and be sensitive to bright light ? :p
    Nanites bacterium.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members

Nanites bacterium.
    khara are obviously less evolved thana house cat... here's a tip, it's what pupils are for.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Game sends me to main menu and tells me that my files don't match the servers every time I try to buy an exosuit. Game freezes for 30 seconds every time i interact with an armory.
  • aaahaaapaaahaaap Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75183Members
    I'm aware that this is already known, but the input lag is game-breaking. I got sick of dealing with it and won't bother playing until it's fixed. Biodome will have to wait.
    ^^ This. Feels like 10-20 FPS when fighting a marine. I'm out as well till it's fixed. Will evaluate the rest of the game then.
    1 simple observation: Alien flaslight sucks

• NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Game sends me to main menu and tells me that my files don't match the servers every time I try to buy an exosuit. Game freezes for 30 seconds every time i interact with an armory.
    Try verifying steam cache if you have consistency problems. It could be a server mod as well.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2013
    To come back to my Linux post, hitting that 5-10 fps again, Xorg seems to be using way way too much CPU: http://i.imgur.com/ZdmDsyk.jpg
    After a restart it ran fine again, end of a short game on veil: http://i.imgur.com/WARSjM0.jpg
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    amoral wrote: »

Nanites bacterium.
    khara are obviously less evolved thana house cat... here's a tip, it's what pupils are for.

I'm sure there is an upgrade for that somewhere out there.

Did you try upgrading your housecat to find out what it's called?
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Narfwak wrote: »
    Try verifying steam cache if you have consistency problems. It could be a server mod as well.

Game cache is fine. Thats the first thing I tried. You DO know that the game tells you to do that itself right? No need to repeat it ;)

Game cache is fine. Thats the first thing I tried. You DO know that the game tells you to do that itself right? No need to repeat it ;)
    I take nothing for granted. Side effect is that it makes me sound like a jerk sometimes, sorry! :(

My money is on server mod as this is the first I've heard of these issues and it just smells like the kind of thing they can cause, but I'll try to get it looked into nonetheless.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    amoral wrote: »

+1

I take nothing for granted. Side effect is that it makes me sound like a jerk sometimes, sorry! :(

My money is on server mod as this is the first I've heard of these issues and it just smells like the kind of thing they can cause, but I'll try to get it looked into nonetheless.

lol sorry i wasn't trying to say you sounded like a jerk, just felt like making a funny. if either of us was sounding like a jerk it was probably me :p

• bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    Im curious, what is the skill ranking trying to accomplish? Seems to me its only purpose is pointing out servers for new players but does not address the team stacking. If you already track the stats of each player, giving an indicator of the teams skill difference would be really helpful.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    One could theorize that now that those stats are being tracked, one could make a mod to prevent players of X skill level from joining?
    bERt0r wrote: »
    Im curious, what is the skill ranking trying to accomplish? Seems to me its only purpose is pointing out servers for new players but does not address the team stacking. If you already track the stats of each player, giving an indicator of the teams skill difference would be really helpful.
    It's the first iteration of the feature. Data collection is important for any other kind of matchmaking system to work. I'm not sure if it's going to go that direction per se, but it's a start.