253 is out! Reinforced has arrived. Discuss! (civily)

Comments

• killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    A day early?! How? What? Why?
  • madsaucemadsauce San Francisco Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185442Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica PT Lead
    I just finished playing on Biodome, looks great and had some great battles in the various rooms. Look forward to playing more of it!
    I'm still noticing some of the performance issues, and a lot of users were still complaining about the mouse lag. I suspect these will be addressed in a post 253 patch (hopefully soon).

Once the kinks are ironed out, I looking forward to playing more!
  • jewbearjewbear Join Date: 2013-02-09 Member: 182943Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    So is the stats website ns2stats.com or is UWE going with their own stats system?
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Narfwak wrote: »
    Zomb3h wrote: »
    Imbaxlax wrote: »
    Anybody else find dual rail gun exo to be 100% useless?
    I usually charge one railgun while tapping fire on the other railgun before I release the charged one. It results in the uncharged gun firing after the charged one a split second after.

Was that intentional?

You can get them to fire at the same time if you nail the timing perfectly, but one of the shots will be at less than a quarter charge. So yes, it is intentional. Firing them fully charged at the same time was hilariously OP and couldn't make it to release. Even with the buff to umbra it would still be waaaay too strong against lerks and fades.

they should really be comparable in dps to dualies, so is this the case?
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    The single railgun isn't even remotely comparable to the DPS of the single minigun. They do completely different things in completely different ways. I'm not sure I agree with your premise. The do both have limiting factors when trying to fire both weapons at the same time if that's what you mean, but DPS? Not even in the same ballpark, not even playing the same sport.

If you want lerks and skulks to feel the love from as far away as light can travel on an NS2 map, then yeah, dual railguns are pretty rad, and the little people will rue your presence. If, on the other hand, you approach a corner and an Onos pops in from the next room and wants to hug you very violently... well, you're going to have a very bad day. For what it's worth, if by the grace of Flayra you get a catalyst pack dropped on you and shift thrust away you might almost but probably won't escape instant death (because they do actually affect exosuit movement speed, believe it or not).
  • GorgeloveGorgelove Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185873Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver
    I like the female marine model
    still have some mouse lag, please fix, throwing off aim. not as bad as before, and i can still shoot, but it's bad enough to be noticeable on marines while affecting my biting less... also might just be biodome messing completely with my frame rate.

beyond that, i'm ok with the new contrast, though you really could tone down the orange. i'd much rather you went darker with lighter highlights, because it significantly improves my biting efficiency, or maybe that and the fixes, but really, if this is all we get, i'm okay with it. not happy, mind you, but ok.

can't really comment on how the game is right now, because i'm probably biting at 75 percent and shooting at 50 percent.

i'll withhold judgement on the other lifeforms until i've had more time with them.

on the bright side, i had some fun with onos. boneshield is amusing.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    How many megs is this update?
  • JohnnySmash77JohnnySmash77 Join Date: 2009-07-07 Member: 68079Members
    edited August 2013
    Any word on what this means from the Reinforced announcement post?:
    You might have noticed a trend in updates to NS2: They are all free. This begs the question – How will Unknown Worlds keep making these updates? How can NS2 continue to be developed if Unknown Worlds can’t pay to keep Max in his coding cage? On August 30, we will answer that question.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    edited August 2013
    Damn Biodome looks nice! It has a very spooky feeling to it, great atmosphere. New players will love this.

Comments:
    • 8 res Drifters... they aren't worth that. Not even close. What was wrong with 3 res?
    • Lerk Bite is crazy fast. There are going to be a lot of complaints.
    • BUG: that input lag is really bad. mouse lags, menu lags, everything lags. fells like 15 fps or vsync enabled.
    • BUG: if you select female Marine, the shots hit off the crosshair
    • BUG: female Marine's panting sounds (after sprinting/landing from a jump) are still male
    • BUG(?): are you supposed to be able to shoot the dual railguns simultaneously? Because you can't, one will be delayed despite pressing the mouse button.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    hozz wrote: »
    [*]BUG: if you select female Marine, the shots hit off the crosshair
    [/list]

I thought something was off! I just assumed UWE was being a little sexist and making it so female marines can't shoot as well. Joking of course :P
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    The new vortex looks pretty powerful. Biodome looks awesome!
    Can't wait to try it out.

Also: Jumping with a jp! Finally!
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    You might have noticed a trend in updates to NS2: They are all free. This begs the question – How will Unknown Worlds keep making these updates? How can NS2 continue to be developed if Unknown Worlds can’t pay to keep Max in his coding cage? On August 30, we will answer that question.

The NS2 twitter linked to a French community site which shows an official looking black skulk skin, I guess they are adding "hats"
    Desther wrote: »

The NS2 twitter linked to a French community site which shows an official looking black skulk skin, I guess they are adding "hats"

as long as we can disable them im fine with that.
  • ImbaxlaxImbaxlax Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186656Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2013
    Even though this is another complaint, I think this all looks really good, I'm just only bringing up things that stand out as potential issues to me.

Vortex looks really awesome, fits really well, and solves a very big problem fades had. However, I feel that its the kind of thing that works "in theory". First and foremost, this is a first person shooter. The way you aim in a first person shooter is through tracking: following a trajectory and predicting the next location. This is why very few dedicated shooters have instant teleport mechanics. It completely circumvents the whole shooter mechanic. I disliked the overly used blink and shadowstep abilities for the same reason, and this seems to take it to another level.
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    As with last build, wonderful features which deserve high praise, but I can't enjoy any of them with the game in a barely playable state.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Changelog? Can't seem to find it anywhere.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited August 2013
    Kamamura wrote: »
    Changelog? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

you must be new here, how dare you expect such a thing
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Wait, it is actually live on steam?
    Can anyone tell me if 252 preformance issues were fixed?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yes it's live on steam.
  • liamdaweliamdawe Join Date: 2009-09-27 Member: 68885Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    A bug i found in training: Says Hold C to open the map, the map is binded to M.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Tutorial clearly too old school.
  • MostlySilentMostlySilent Join Date: 2013-03-09 Member: 183814Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited August 2013
    For those not in the know.

A lot of us PTs pulled 12-14 hour sessions for days with a couple breaks here and there to eat or take a shower, (Go, go testing UNTIL 7AM) this was as a bonus to the normal PT'ing that happens.

I'm proud of everyone involved, I it's turned out great.

(Vortex and Bone Shield still scare me though.)

I don't think anybody will agree completely on what and what wasn't a good idea or improvement, but I think the vast majority can agree that this has been a big net gain for NS2. A lot of this new stuff is cool as hell (Have you even seen Cluster Grenades?) and I'm excited to play it in actual, normal, games.
  • PopturePopture Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172879Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thank you everyone for all your efforts. :)
  • HeavenfallHeavenfall Join Date: 2010-08-14 Member: 73620Members
    I'm still experiencing stutter, massive FPS drop when shooting aliens as marine, and input lag. When's the next patch planned for? 253 is still unplayable, 12-14 hour sessions per day with PTs or not.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    hozz wrote: »
    [*]BUG: if you select female Marine, the shots hit off the crosshair
    [/list]
    This is very known and has been trying to get fixed for a while now. It's very stubborn.

• XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Bug: ns_biodome is not able to be voted using the official escape menu vote system.
    Bug: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/576747188072140779/0A2A7BC87D863D919DDF6F52FCA8A7D431F41E81/ Orange border around the screen when AV is on, not huge but annoying.
    Bug: Massive stuttering issue, experienced it about once every three rounds or so, it's horrible when it happens, think Vsync being activated twice to 15 FPS and jumping between 15 30 60 FPS every second for 5-10 seconds.

Balance: The entire patch is one giant alien nerf and it sucks, the 2 gimmick abilities put in hardly compensate that aliens are at a disadvantage early, mid and late game, tying in alien life form upgrades to biomass Hp scaling results in 70/10 skulks until 10-15 mins every round. In fact biomass could easily go down 10 tres each level because it's useless until life forms are upgraded, spend tres on biomass which only unlocks abilities after you spend more tres, what's the point of biomass again?

A fully upgraded alien team cost more than marines before these nerfs, now getting to bio 4 with 3 life form upgrades costs even more than last patch, aliens are back to 239 status, did dn`Decoy do the female marine voice? Either way I'll be renaming gorge_taunt.wav over all of them if I can.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer

We're just putting the finishing touches on the answer to that, so you'll find out very soon.
  • OuchOfDeathOuchOfDeath Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182825Members
    I'm aware that this is already known, but the input lag is game-breaking. I got sick of dealing with it and won't bother playing until it's fixed. Biodome will have to wait.