253 is out! Reinforced has arrived. Discuss! (civily)

ComproxComprox *chortle*Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
Biodome!
Female marines!
Changelog video:

Comments

• ComputronComputron Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185665Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited August 2013
    That was fast. Loving the new menu setup. Fem rine has better taunts :)) Biodome looks great with all that foliage but m-muh fps! :((
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    WHUT
    It's not the 30th yet!
    ah well, was necesary. 252 was 90% broked.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited August 2013
    I'm pretty sure sandbox mode works for Biodome if you want to take the slow guided tour. Filtration and Atmosphere Exchange are the prettiest rooms in my opinion, but that's kind of hard to pick since the whole map is ridiculously detailed. HUGE props (heh) to the mapping team for all their hard work on such a spectacular visual feast.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2013
    \o/
    Can't wait until my work day is over to try it on Linux!
    I can however try to set up my Linux server again.

Unofficial changelog from b252 thread, thanks to CrushaK!:
    CrushaK wrote: »
    Here a rough rundown of things I could find by comparing the Lua files:

EDIT: Updated based on first tests ingame.

#General

Meta
    - Tutorial added to main menu.
    - Added ELO-ish player skill ranking system.
    - Server Browser can be filtered and sorted by skill level.

Gameplay
    - Shock waves now seem to propagate from the center over time, rather than instantly inflicting damage in the maximum radius. (Stomp, Grenade Launchers, etc.)
    - Commanders starts with 0 pres and gains no pres for 1 minute after leaving the CC/Hive.

#Marines

General
    - new default crosshairs (mostly the same as before, but with a bright pixel-wide dot in the center now)

Observatory
    - emits a sonar sound in regular intervals, making it easier for aliens to determine its location

Shotgun
    - slightly more accurate
    - clip size down to 6 (was 8)

Grenades
    - Cluster Grenade creates multiple small explosions in an area for HP damage
    - Gas Greande damages alien armor in an area and stays for a moment
    - Pulse Grenade electrifies aliens (attack speed down to 80% for 5 seconds, energy regen down to 70%)
    - cost 10 to research, take 45 seconds
    - cost 3 pres each, gives 2 grenades, can only carry one grenade type at a time

Flamethrower
    - damage down to 15 (was 19)
    - deals 3 energy damage
    - weighs 0.14 (was 0.12)

Exos
    - can be exited at any time now
    - can be beaconed
    - are purchased as single-armed version at Protolab for 40 res each
    - can buy their second weapon from the Protolab for another 20 res (also Dual Railgun!)
    - Dual Minigun and Railgun cost 30 res to research each
    - Dual-Miniguns overheat slower than single version (?)
    - Firing Miniguns slows Exo down to 60% of normal speed
    - Firing Railgun slows Exo down to 80% of normal speed
    - Railgun autofires after 2.2 seconds (was 3) and needs to be charged for a minimum of 1.4 seconds
    - Railgun damage down to 30 - 130 (was 50 - 150)
    - Railgun weighs 0.8 (was 0.5)

MACs
    - Armor down to 50 (was 150)
    - seems to heal armor a lot faster (?)

Cat Packs
    - take 45 seconds to research
    - cost 3 to drop
    - increase move speed by 25%
    - increase weapon (reload?) speed by 50%
    - last 12 seconds

#Aliens

General
    - Carapace reduces regeneration capabilities by 10% per level
    - chambers move faster now (1.5, was 0.5)
    - being on fire no longer reduces energy regeneration (was down to 60%)
    - Alien Vision got replaced by Dark Vision and Hive Sight. All important things are outlined by default now and the Dark Vision is only supposed to be used in dark rooms (it actually blinds you if you look at bright lights with it, like a nightvision device)
    - lifeforms don't profit from Biomass until their respective tech path has been researched

Nutrient Mist
    - has a sound effect now when being cast

Contamination
    - Contamination ability added to khammander (Biomass 9)
    - temporarily creates a patch of infestation anywhere on the map
    - 5 res per use, 5 seconds cooldown
    - infestation is spread from a structure with 1000 HP that is spawned in

Lifeform Eggs
    - Gorge & Lerk Egg requires Biomass 2
    - Fade & Onos Egg requires Biomass 9
    - Gorge Egg costs 15 now (was 10)
    - Lerk Egg costs 30 now (was 40)
    - all eggs take 45 seconds to gestate now (was different for each egg, maximum was 30 seconds on Onos egg)

Drifter
    - supply cost up to 10 (was 5)
    - cost 8 res, can be hatched anywhere on the map, take 7 seconds to hatch
    - Drifter clouds of the same type don't stack anymore (the old cloud is instantly removed when a new is spawned)
    - Hallucination no longer creates hallucinations of dead aliens
    - Mucous Membrane stays only 2.5 seconds now (was 10). Regenerates half of a unit's maximum armor, clamped to a minimum of now 3 (was 1) and a maximum of 40
    - Storm cloud lifetime down to 3 seconds (was 6)

Cysts
    - fixed bug causing the closest cyst to be used as anchor, even if it was unconnected.

Hive
    - can research Gorge Tunnels (1)
    - can research "Gorge Evolutions" to gain access to Babbler (1), Bile Bomb (3) and Web (5) research

Shift
    - can research "Lerk Evolutions" to gain access to Umbra (4) and Spore (6) research
    - supply cost down to 5 (was 10)

Shade
    - can research "Fade Evolutions" to gain access to Shadow Step (2), Vortex (5) and Stab (8) research
    - Ink cooldown increased to 16 seconds (was 12.8)

Crag
    - can research "Onos Evolutions" to gain access to Charge (2), Bone Shield (5) and Stomp (9) research
    - supply cost down to 5 (was 15)

Whip
    - can research "Skulk Evolutions" to gain access to Leap (4) and Xenocide (7) research
    - Leap research time up to 40 seconds (was 30)
    - Bombard damage down to 400 (was 600)
    - build time up to 20 (was 15)

Skulk
    - gains less HP per Biomass (3 now, was 4)
    - Parasite lasts 44 seconds (was 24)
    - is now faintly gnarling in regular intervals when idle, which can be heard by marines

Gorge
    - costs 8 pres now
    - added ability to drop Webs between two surfaces, which hold marines in place for a moment. Webs (50 HP) can't be destroyed by bullets, but by flames and grenades
    - Babblers need to be researched now (Biomass 1)
    - Babbler health down to 10 HP, 0 Armor (was 30 HP, 5 Armor)

Lerk
    - Bite range increased to 1.5 (was 1.4)
    - Umbra now protects against Railgun shots (damage down to 68%)

Fade
    - Blink adds more force (1.0 instead of 0.5) upon use.
    - Blink start energy cost increased to 14 (was 13)
    - Celerity has less impact when using Blink
    - Vortex seems to act like a portal to base now. ("Ethereal Gate", Biomass 5)
    - Stab added as researchable ability. (Biomass 8)
    - Stab deals 160 normal damage and costs 30 energy to use
    - Swipe damage down to 37.5 (was 50)
    - Swipe energy cost up to 8 (was 7)
    - gains less HP per Biomass (5 now, was 10)
    - Carapace gives 120 Armor now (was 100)

Onos
    - Charge needs to be researched now (Biomass 2)
    - fixed bug allowing to use BoneShield right after Stomp or Gore
    - Stomp emits a shock wave to the front now, rather than a radius ground shake
    - Stomp deals 40 structural damage (double damage against structures) now
    - gains less HP per Biomass (25 now, was 50)
    - Carapace gives 650 Armor now (was 560)

• 0+0=00+0=0 Join Date: 2012-03-23 Member: 149263Members
    excellent hope this new build irons it out
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Awesome video. Very nicely done. Gave a clear overview.

The changes looks nice, but will try them ingame before commenting more.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Made me double-check to see if I accidentally opted in for NS2 Beta when I saw the Biodome menu.

Is this really the patch, what happened to the date of 30th?
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Can't install Linux server yet, have to wait for Steam to sync files?

Server thread Thread: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131671/so-where-is-the-linux-server#latest
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Zomb3h wrote: »
    Made me double-check to see if I accidentally opted in for NS2 Beta when I saw the Biodome menu.

Is this really the patch, what happened to the date of 30th?

Guess it got done ahead of schedule.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Will there still be a Refinforced Trailer of Epixness for hype? I absolutely LOVE the NS2 trailers!
  • tuxatortuxator Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69958Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I thought the update should be here on friday (the 30th)?! Not that I'm complaining, but I'm a little bit confused.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited August 2013
    This video seems to have much lower quality than the leaked one. (Yes I'm watching on max available quality).

EDIT: Nvm, youtube issue, was auto switching me to 360p because 480 and 720 aren't encoded yet or something.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    edited August 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    This video seems to have much lower quality than the leaked one. (Yes I'm watching on max available quality).

EDIT: Nvm, youtube issue, was auto switching me to 360p because 480 and 720 aren't encoded yet or something.
    It's not done compiling yet, it was literally just put up a few minutes before Comprox posted it.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    New fade stab!
    Wasn't that the same as the old fade stab? :P
  • delta78delta78 Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178131Members
    Mother of Onos! This gunnu b gud!

And thanks UWE! You are awesome! Brohoof! /)
  • CoTTonCoTTon Join Date: 2005-02-28 Member: 42773Members
    anyone else notice SLI is broken? Game isn't utilizing both GPU's anymore
  • ImbaxlaxImbaxlax Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186656Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Anybody else find dual rail gun exo to be 100% useless? The fire rate increase must be something like 30%, while you lose all ability to defend yourself in close quarters, and you become slower.

In addition to that, now this is just my opinion, but I find the practical use of the dual rail gun to be highly damaging to gameplay. In my opinion, if you are going to allow both mouse buttons to be used independently of each other, their use still needs to be as synergized as possible. For example, using one button, or using both together, as Halo 2 first did it, or how the dual miniguns work.
    The only way to get any use out of dual rail guns is to have both aiming, timing, and modulated switching between weapons down to a fine art. I'm willing to admit that there may be some super humans that can fire each rail gun in perfect timing with the other while still maintaining good to perfect accuracy, but I, as a highly experienced NS veteran, am not one of them.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    Imbaxlax wrote: »
    Anybody else find dual rail gun exo to be 100% useless?
    I usually charge one railgun while tapping fire on the other railgun before I release the charged one. It results in the uncharged gun firing after the charged one a split second after.

Was that intentional?

I also don't think anyone should be playing Female marines at the moment because there's also a HUGE bug that I'm noticing. When you shoot, the bullets do not NOT ALIGNED WITH CROSSHAIR. I've tested this with both the new default crosshair, and custom xhairs.

It goes ABOVE the crosshair. See spoiler-tag for info
    Another glaring issue are the first-person animation handwraps on female Marine for the LMG, Axe, and Pistol needs readjusting, especially the thumb positioning on LMG, and the clipping of the ring finger on the pistol reload. Also the LMG lacking the kickback animation when firing that the Male marine has. Pretty sure the fine detailing will come later.

*EDIT*
    The bug with the misaligning camera is a result of a combination of enabling Female Marines + Camera Animations (ON). When you switch back and forth between on and OFF for Camera animations, the camera will move up and down for Female Marines.
  • bERt0rbERt0r Join Date: 2005-03-23 Member: 46181Members
    Give them a video and everyone is happy, lol. Good work from UWE and their coffee providers.
    I usually charge one railgun while tapping fire on the other railgun before I release the charged one. It results in the uncharged gun firing after the charged one a split second after.

Was that intentional?

You can get them to fire at the same time if you nail the timing perfectly, but one of the shots will be at less than a quarter charge. So yes, it is intentional. Firing them fully charged at the same time was hilariously OP and couldn't make it to release. Even with the buff to umbra it would still be waaaay too strong against lerks and fades.
  • ImbaxlaxImbaxlax Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186656Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2013
    Narfwak wrote: »

Was that intentional?

You can get them to fire at the same time if you nail the timing perfectly, but one of the shots will be at less than a quarter charge. So yes, it is intentional. Firing them fully charged at the same time was hilariously OP and couldn't make it to release. Even with the buff to umbra it would still be waaaay too strong against lerks and fades.

I think the implementation just needs more scaffolding. If you are good enough to perfectly time it as you say, or to be able to modulate between both with perfect timing, then you should definitely receive optimal performance. However, as it stands, if you can't do that, there really is no point in the combo, as it is far inferior to single rail gun / claw. It would be really nice if the rail guns had charge up and continuous fire settings, so that people without the timing could have the main rail gun on charge up, and the secondary on continuous (weak) fire.

Also, is it just me, or is there a slight (+-150ms) delay on when you click/release the mouse button and when the rail gun actually fires?

• KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2013
    Awesome work UWE and Supereffective! Thanks heaps for your hard work! Can't wait to play, once I have the time!
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Love the new features/changes! Everything I wanted is in this patch! ( the sudden input lag and performance decrease aside ofc. lets hope max finds the problems soon )
    Narfwak wrote: »

Was that intentional?

I think the implementation just needs more scaffolding. If you are good enough to perfectly time it as you say, or to be able to modulate between both with perfect timing, then you should definitely receive optimal performance. However, as it stands, if you can't do that, there really is no point in the combo, as it is far inferior to single rail gun / claw. It would be really nice if the rail guns had charge up and continuous fire settings, so that people without the timing could have the main rail gun on charge up, and the secondary on continuous (weak) fire.

Also, is it just me, or is there a slight (+-150ms) delay on when you click/release the mouse button and when the rail gun actually fires?
    I'm not aware of any delay, but if you can reproduce it with some video evidence I'm sure we'll look into it.
  • 2d0x2d0x Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184030Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    thanks to author of this video!
    and ofc thanks to UWE for this DLC!
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    So squeal out lived hugh? omfg!