New Alien Vision

ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
Can we please have an option to revert to the original? I'm really disliking the new setup for the aliens night vision.

Comments

• SychoSycho Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186642Members
    Why is everything highlighted when it's off??

Why is it blinding (physically unbearable) in most places when it's on??

The previous AV had been around since beta, why change it now? I challenge you to even find a past thread with someone complaining about *just* Alien Vision. The reason is likely due to the fact that people understand that an ALIENS might see the world through ALIEN VISION that may be different and/or better than a human's.

It was never OP, and was a pretty core part of the game. Now it's crap. Aura is still OP, and all we're gonna hear is: "You just don't get it, man.." When basically everyone is telling you it's a bad idea.
  • Enhance89Enhance89 Join Date: 2009-11-04 Member: 69261Members
    edited August 2013
    Disregard. I didn't know actual changes had been implemented and AV since changed from when I played it earlier Tuesday.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    casan0vax wrote: »
    You're missing the point of Alien Vision--it was always meant to be for dark rooms, but the way it was before was OP. The fact that EVERYONE used AV before shows that it wasn't functioning as intended.

This happens with every update to any game: when a familiar mechanic gets tweaked, the sky falls.

You'll get used to it.

Well at the very least they need to change the colors between the targets for the standard alien view. Do we really need everything to be the same exact shade of orange? It's become a lot harder to differentiate between a marine and a skulk when a group battle breaks out now without the solid background color.
  • Side1Bu2Rnz9Side1Bu2Rnz9 Join Date: 2012-10-16 Member: 162510Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    It's because it had no drawbacks before, and because of the very high contrast. It's also because they want you to see the art of the level rather than just a green screen. Now it forces you to only use it in very dark places.

why do we care what the devs want... why don't they care what we want?!?!
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    can we at least make it go back to green?
  • DangermazzDangermazz Join Date: 2013-04-11 Member: 184737Members
    No one cares what you people want. They made it so you can't just pop AV on and run about with your semi wall hacks(you can see marines from anywhere and they stuck out so bad) They had to balance that because AV was way more then what it was made for, dark areas. Constructive criticism isn't too hard is it kids?

• ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    They did it because they're too lazy/unable to make glass visible with the old alien vision.

The new alien vision looks like crap, and is largely useless. The old alien vision wasn't the prettiest either but at least it was hepful.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like the color scheme, sorta matches the theme of the Kharaa.

But I won't make any judgments just yet, though I did find myself not using it as much, only when I'm bored and want to see eye-sorecandy
  • SkulkittoMeSkulkittoMe Join Date: 2013-05-04 Member: 185115Members
    I just played a couple games on build 252. My conclusion after 270+ hours of previous playtime is that I have lost almost all interest in continuing to play after this patch. Hoping Friday salvages some of my interest in this game, as this was pretty brutal.
  • RumseyRumsey Join Date: 2013-01-21 Member: 181012Members
    They did it because they're too lazy/unable to make glass visible with the old alien vision.

No. If that were the reason, then UWE would have maintained the orange/green color contrast that was present in the previous AV. They clearly removed it on purpose because they didn't want people using AV all the time.
  • VigilantiaVigilantia Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 51Members
    I've always figured AV was odd. There was absolutely 0 reason to turn it off after you've learned the holes-in-the-glass are and learned Bilebomb's maximum arc/range. Right now, there's a reason to switch between regular view and AV instead of having AV on all the time 24/7.

I'm sure UWE can change it a bit so people with eyesore can be accommodated, but it doesn't seem that bad. At least it the edges of the screen don't pulse, it's not blurry and doesn't cause motion sickness like Mass Effect 3's Multiplayer.
  • destroyerjjbgdestroyerjjbg Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183467Members
    hate new alien vision i think yes was a bit unbalanced favour to aliens, but the new...... Should a balanced tweak on normal vision for aliens like more size auras.
    I cant kill so much marines liek before i think will make inbalanced games favour to rines, though before 252 i think games was more imbas for aliens.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    That would be a miracle. Never had the marines a higher win percentage than aliens... Let's see.

Edit: Disregarding those one build with broken Brick-Skulks.
  • destroyerjjbgdestroyerjjbg Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183467Members
    edited August 2013
    totally agree virsoul, rines always have op vision on normal coz they can shoot at range. At close range the only advantage for aliens was AV, that is how skulls - fades - onos attack. Now its a really nerf for those species and thats could make game unbalanced for rines coz is a great gameplay change.
  • RadmanRadman Join Date: 2013-04-05 Member: 184656Members
    I'd rather marines get their own version of the "op" alien vision, than nerfing it for aliens.

Since when is succeeding in low visibility a skill in a skill based shooter? Forcing aliens to distinguish marines in fast paced combat adds nothing of value to the game.

If you don't want me to see something, don't show me. If I'm supposed be seeing something, fucking throw some lights and colors on it so I can't miss it. It's that middle ground that's annoying.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    I just played a couple games on build 252. My conclusion after 270+ hours of previous playtime is that I have lost almost all interest in continuing to play after this patch. Hoping Friday salvages some of my interest in this game, as this was pretty brutal.
    Wish you gave specifics and why exactly you found it to be so? :-/ Would be more helpful to the devs
    Virsoul wrote: »
    After playing for about 4 hours I can say that the new default vision is very disorienting in combat as an alien. It's difficult to keep track of targets while dodging around, other aliens are there, effects like gas/umbra being used, or a number of other factors. I know that some people may think that the previous iteration of alien vision was overpowered, but I felt it was necessary for a melee based combatant who has to quickly change directions in a three dimensional environment to keep track of their target.

If the change was made to allow alien players to better appreciate the map design, a compromise could have been made with something closer to http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98879398

I've always been a champion of small incremental changes as anyone who's heard me talk about the subject would know. It can be frustrating for players to have to relearn core mechanics of the game frequently.
    Completely agree, I used one of that mod's pictures as a suggestion of what it should've looked like, as well.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members

i'll actually add my 1000 hrs of game time, it's making me hate playing aliens. i don't like navigating at high speed with all that clutter, and trying to discern marines is making me hate myself. i honestly hope, that a mod comes out soon, and it gets whitelisted on every server imaginable and adopted by the competitive scene to revert to or improve on the old AV. this is frankly unplayable on my hardware. Again, I run on low resolution, to get acceptable frames, and shade hive gives me issues already, without even talking about marines hiding from me among the pixelated grey.

On the other hand, i've not seen any evidence yet that UWE cares about people running on less than ideal hardware, as they've not even attempted to fix the scoreboard yet. I still can't see ping or res, and now i can't see deaths either with the assists column.