New Alien Vision

Comments

• zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    Frekin HORRIBLE, the new alien vision. All it does is making NS2 look ugly orange and it blinds whenever i activate it.

This sucks horribly.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Mendasp wrote: »
    I actually quit because I knew this was coming. Other events were an elaborate cover-up, but I can finally reveal the truth.

Not sure if serious...

(But this is Mendasp. Probably not. :) )

MENDASP IS ALWAYS SUPER SERIOUS... like me

:>
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Virsoul wrote: »
    If the change was made to allow alien players to better appreciate the map design, a compromise could have been made with something closer to http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98879398

Huze's AV will forever be my favorite AV.
  • ChikunChikun Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178729Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sycho wrote: »
    All of these idiots complaining about Alien Vision "ruining the art direction of the game" and "missing out on the detail in the maps" are completely copping out. They act like you never, ever get a look at the natural view of the map playing as a Marine. It's the stupidest argument against Alien Vision that you can imagine. We can't appreciate the map when we use a vision of the world as another lifeform sees it, because apparently you buffoons never play as the whole other team that can!

The point I was making is that the game should still look aesthetically pleasing no matter what mode of vision is being used (when is another story) and the old AV was so powerful that it was always used so half of the players had a very bland and boring view of the world while the others had the detail. I don't know if this has ever happened to you but if you've ever worked really hard on something for a long period of time and have it turn out to be worthless later is a pretty crappy feeling. I'm sure the designers felt the same thing seeing their talent and work go to waste.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Mendasp wrote: »
    I actually quit because I knew this was coming. Other events were an elaborate cover-up, but I can finally reveal the truth.

Not sure if serious...

(But this is Mendasp. Probably not. :) )

MENDASP IS ALWAYS SUPER SERIOUS... like me

:>

B-)
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    You arent suppose to use alien vision when there is light in a room. What's the point with that? its intended to use when the lights is of.

I can agree that the new alien version works good in a complete dark room, but once the red lights pops up then it feels a little bit dizzy.
  • DImsaneDImsane Join Date: 2007-11-21 Member: 62976Members
    edited August 2013
    even in dark room it's ugly. And it make me feel uncomfortable (I still have the game print in my retina).

I am not against a new AV, just a good new alien vision. Seriously it was looking much better when it was based on the Z depth.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    lol, that says it all...
  • BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    edited August 2013
    Chikun wrote: »
    All of these idiots complaining about Alien Vision "ruining the art direction of the game" and "missing out on the detail in the maps" are completely copping out. They act like you never, ever get a look at the natural view of the map playing as a Marine. It's the stupidest argument against Alien Vision that you can imagine. We can't appreciate the map when we use a vision of the world as another lifeform sees it, because apparently you buffoons never play as the whole other team that can!

The point I was making is that the game should still look aesthetically pleasing no matter what mode of vision is being used (when is another story) and the old AV was so powerful that it was always used so half of the players had a very bland and boring view of the world while the others had the detail. I don't know if this has ever happened to you but if you've ever worked really hard on something for a long period of time and have it turn out to be worthless later is a pretty crappy feeling. I'm sure the designers felt the same thing seeing their talent and work go to waste.

First of all, aesthetics is subjective. Some people enjoyed the aesthetics of the old alien vision because it gives the feeling of playing as a creature with different senses. Some people want to look at the pretty environment. The point being that you may think alien vision is boring but some others may not. What prevents the developers from keeping the new standard vision for aliens that want to see the map and implementing the old alien vision for those who enjoy the immersion?

Secondly, how does the underlined part of your point stand when the current alien vision looks like an orange mess to a lot of people, even in the dark?
  • HerZeLeiDHerZeLeiD Join Date: 2013-03-25 Member: 184362Members
    edited August 2013
    Played almost exclusively with alien vision. Not just because I can see marines better, but it's hard to spot things @ 1280x800 on a 22" screen. Too much FPS drops otherwise. The new AV will definitely affect how I play Aliens now.
  • wopwopwopwop Join Date: 2013-08-23 Member: 187037Members
    While I can sort of agree with the reason why AV was changed, I just cannot stand the current aesthetics.
    It's physically uncomfortable to me, my eyes get easily stressed.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Sepia for hipster screenshots.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Chikun wrote: »

yay for prioritizing aesthetics over gameplay. there's a reason competitive quake uses bright green skins. because it's better for tracking, and pushes you to play better.
    HerZeLeiD wrote: »
    Played almost exclusively with alien vision. Not just because I can see marines better, but it's hard to spot things @ 1280x800 on a 22" screen. Too much FPS drops otherwise. The new AV will definitely affect how I play Aliens now.

amen sister.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    So, new default vision is worse than previous default vision and is worse than previous alien vision.
    New alien vision is worse than the Holocaust.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    xen32 wrote: »
    So, new default vision is worse than previous default vision and is worse than previous alien vision.

well, that escalated quickly.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The biggest issue I see with new AV is that it can actually hurt my eyes when turned on. Even though you will mostly be using in dark rooms the light will come up and some point and I don't like the chance of my eyes getting bombarded by that brightness at any point while playing.

Otherwise I don't mind the change.
    rantology wrote: »
    xen32 wrote: »

well, that escalated quickly.

nope, he's just saying what everybody was feeling... and i mean everybody, literally every single person that's played for any length of time. every. single. fucking. person.

I don't understand how this change, of the many crappy changes, got through the play testers without people rioting.
  • creamcream Join Date: 2011-05-14 Member: 98671Members
    new alien vision puts the sun in my face. gonna need a pair of sunglasses now.

but honestly i'm fine with or without it... coz i don't play gayliens.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    After playing for about 4 hours I can say that the new default vision is very disorienting in combat as an alien. It's difficult to keep track of targets while dodging around, other aliens are there, effects like gas/umbra being used, or a number of other factors. I know that some people may think that the previous iteration of alien vision was overpowered, but I felt it was necessary for a melee based combatant who has to quickly change directions in a three dimensional environment to keep track of their target.

If the change was made to allow alien players to better appreciate the map design, a compromise could have been made with something closer to http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=98879398

I've always been a champion of small incremental changes as anyone who's heard me talk about the subject would know. It can be frustrating for players to have to relearn core mechanics of the game frequently.
    Perfect post. Huze's AV has always been the best one, no reason to not make this official.
  • SewdiOSewdiO Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187136Members
    For people saying it is to mimick the marine flashlight (ie: use it when it's dark), remember the game is asymetrical. Not everything should have a counterpart on the other side, and that's a part of NS2 charm (UWE seems to be forgetting that).

For those saying it's OP, how ? As aliens you mostly do melee, so it won't help you at a distance, which is incidentaly where it would be OP (when you have your ennemy in your face, i doubt it will be OP to have him highlighted). And with the type of gameplay you have as an alien, you have to have them highlighted, as you're normally constently jumping and spinning around when biting. This means you don't lose sight of your prey. It may simulate the sense of smell of the aliens if you want to credibilize it.
    Problem with AV now is that it either puts grey marines against mostly grey background or orange marines against orange background. Outline is not much help.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I just got to play with the new alien vision (yes, I already made a post about it without trying this morning, sorry) and I have to say I don't really understand the negative feedback. You practically have the alien vision on default (objects of interest are outlined) like I discribed in my initial post.

The activatable alien vision isn't actually needed until lights go off. You might argue that that makes it quite unnassary, but I don't understand why people think they actually need it on permanently?

If it's just the fact that people can't distinquish marines and walls without the high contrast of the old alien vision, all I can say is that I've played like this for months and it's not a disadvantage.

Maybe UWE just needs to make the outlined objects of interest more visible.

A little more into this direction?

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/920115767447366389/B7BC45C7302B7BA6A41D5F857DC668E66F73D7A9/
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    Not sure what it's use is now, certainly not for navigation as it hurts to look at it.
    Bicsum wrote: »
    I just got to play with the new alien vision (yes, I already made a post about it without trying this morning, sorry) and I have to say I don't really understand the negative feedback. You practically have the alien vision on default (objects of interest are outlined) like I discribed in my initial post.

The activatable alien vision isn't actually needed until lights go off. You might argue that that makes it quite unnassary, but I don't understand why people think they actually need it on permanently?

If it's just the fact that people can't distinquish marines and walls without the high contrast of the old alien vision, all I can say is that I've played like this for months and it's not a disadvantage.

Maybe UWE just needs to make the outlined objects of interest more visible.

A little more into this direction?

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/920115767447366389/B7BC45C7302B7BA6A41D5F857DC668E66F73D7A9/

i think that's actually what most people are driving at. i'd be completely fine with that, though i'd miss the dark green minimalist view, i'm finer with losing that.

• CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It's not meant to be used in full lighting, folks. Just like night-vision goggles, when it's used in light the enhancement is too much, and hence, makes it too bright to see clearly.

New alien vision is supposed to be used IN THE DARK.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    countbasie wrote: »
    After playing for about 4 hours I can say that the new default vision is very disorienting in combat as an alien. It's difficult to keep track of targets while dodging around, other aliens are there, effects like gas/umbra being used, or a number of other factors. I know that some people may think that the previous iteration of alien vision was overpowered, but I felt it was necessary for a melee based combatant who has to quickly change directions in a three dimensional environment to keep track of their target.

I've always been a champion of small incremental changes as anyone who's heard me talk about the subject would know. It can be frustrating for players to have to relearn core mechanics of the game frequently.
    Perfect post. Huze's AV has always been the best one, no reason to not make this official.
    That's great because it is, in a way, official!

You don't have to play with AV anymore because the normal vision have some elements of the old AV.
    I myself play in a resolution two times tinier than yours on a smaller screen (and with probably less FPS), It has always been impossible to play without AV, but the new normal vision is great and I can still play.

I totally agree that the new AV is useless, but don't all act like angry kids, the normal vision has been massively improved. And we don't have to find servers allowing AV mods to play comfortably anymore.
    Don't think the new AV as a replacement of the old AV, but that the old AV is now the normal vision and that we have a new mechanism for AV now... which I think is totally useless, but still better than the old ways of doing things.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    delta78 wrote: »
    I was not a fan of the original cause it made the game ugly. The new one should be used only when there is a black-out, which is pretty cool.
    uma7PYZ.jpg

Also, alien vision does this for me from time to time:
    E55D5D0E4BA597487A9EBA027FF74B781599096E
    Regnareb wrote: »
    countbasie wrote: »

That's great because it is, in a way, official!

You don't have to play with AV anymore because the normal vision have some elements of the old AV.
    I myself play in a resolution two times tinier than yours on a smaller screen (and with probably less FPS), It has always been impossible to play without AV, but the new normal vision is great and I can still play.

I totally agree that the new AV is useless, but don't all act like angry kids, the normal vision has been massively improved. And we don't have to find servers allowing AV mods to play comfortably anymore.
    Don't think the new AV as a replacement of the old AV, but that the old AV is now the normal vision and that we have a new mechanism for AV now... which I think is totally useless, but still better than the old ways of doing things.

the problem, is that the contrast still isn't high enough to be effective. they decided to decrease contrast to make it harder for their players to play. so, yeah, they hare us.