New Alien Vision

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited August 2013
    ColtColt wrote: »
    I'll chime in to say that the new alien vision is a headache-inducing nightmare.
    I appreciate the work that goes into the art and overall shading/neat fade-out circle and stuff around the edges of the new alien vision; but this change is drastically terrible and every pub i've joined so far (about 10 games) has been 80% full of people ranting and complaining about how god awful alien vision is, so I know I don't feel alone on the matter.

Hoping for a reversion of this specific part of the change, as the new alien vision could not be worse. Literally, could not be.

-Colt

It could be, what if it just turned your screen off?
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    ColtColt wrote: »
    I'll chime in to say that the new alien vision is a headache-inducing nightmare.
    I appreciate the work that goes into the art and overall shading/neat fade-out circle and stuff around the edges of the new alien vision; but this change is drastically terrible and every pub i've joined so far (about 10 games) has been 80% full of people ranting and complaining about how god awful alien vision is, so I know I don't feel alone on the matter.

Hoping for a reversion of this specific part of the change, as the new alien vision could not be worse. Literally, could not be.

-Colt

I could be, what if it just turned your screen off?

:) does this mean you like the new alien vision?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    No, but I like the new "off" mode.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    When you say alien vision do you mean pressing the F key or the default vision?
    Pressing the F key, (Alien vision) is now only intended for dark rooms.
    Typical view will highlight marines (tho i agree not as well contrasted as previous AV)
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Typical view will highlight marines (tho i agree not as well contrasted as previous AV)

yes
    No, but I like the new "off" mode.

do you like it more than the old "on" mode?
    Well I used a custom "on" mode which was awesome (dunno if it's compatible anymore) the default one was awful, though better than the new one I agree.
    Well I used a custom "on" mode which was awesome (dunno if it's compatible anymore) the default one was awful, though better than the new one I agree.

i'm asking you to compare the new "off" mode with the old "on" mode.
  • OracOrac Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187124Members
    edited August 2013
    If the issue with alien vision was that it was used constantly, then personally I'd have preferred if it if alien vision degraded over time - like you turn it on and everything is green and orange, and it slowly degrades into 252 alien vision until you switch it off for a bit and let it recharge. I think that would solve most issues.

As it stands, I'm disoriented by both vision states while moving. One must assume that this is UWE's way of balancing the 68% alien victories by making people want to not play aliens? :P
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Every other thread I read "it's an asymmetrical game xao deal with it 2 sides should be different"

This thread "now it's more symmetrical guys deal with it" wait what. Alien flash lights???? Do you people even read what you type before hitting submit.

Playing with old alien vision on was fucking great, put an emphasis on that I was some foreign alien thing that doesn't even use the same kind of vision or perceives light in the same way the marines did, as much as I hate saying it, it was very immersing while climbing up walls or flying through the air.

There was a draw back to using alien vision as well, it had a cut off distance that had a very real application to a lot of res nodes, if you kept that up while staring off at a doorway there's a chance of being caught out because AV would only pick up things so far away that default vision could see plain as day.

New default vision suffers the same problem old AV being on had, colour wash out, in this case highlight wash out, attacking anything near armouries or phase gates just gets washed out completely and marines strafe jumping in and around each other is confusing to track.
    amoral wrote: »

i'm asking you to compare the new "off" mode with the old "on" mode.

There is no reason to use the on mode instead of the off mode.
  • ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
    edited August 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »

I mean when alien vision is "on".

It's a flatly eye-raping mish-mash of bright oranges and whites, even in 'dark' rooms it's a barely tolerable shade of brain-molesting orange superimposed over various hues of white...

0/10.

• Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Even if this thing was meant for dark-rooms, it should still be discernable to detect and track Marines. I've had enough playtime with this patch and I'll agree that this needs another contrast tweak.
  • MangoMango Join Date: 2012-10-11 Member: 162061Members
    I got a headache from playing aliens. Something with this new alien vision my eyes can't take. This is the first time a game causes me to quit cause of headaches. Going to quit NS2 until they fix it.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    edited August 2013
    they want to release costumes or something (menu has a setting for which armor you want to wear), so they had to make alien vision useless

who cares about playability?
    they didn't even give marines brightskins yet despite not being able to hit a thing
  • CicoCico Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33169Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    i don't know about alien vision, didn't use it before ( if not for 10 seconds with lights off) and didn't try it now, but in normal vision now is really hard sometimes to understand if a marine is in the front or in the back of a structure.. it's all orange and if there are a lot of structures, from the distance (lerk) it all shuffle together
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Positives:

- New vision looks sexy in the dark

Negatives:

- I'm already half f*#*ing blind
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Personally, i have yet to find a reason to use the new "flashlight" Alien vision.. even in the dark its more useful to see the now default vision with marine outlines/highlights, imo.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Don't complain you still have a lot of things :
    -The eyes in the throat. And these beautiful teeth racks in the screen. The greatest feature of them all.
    -When preparing for an ambush, and thinking you're in stealth mode and only the nose is visible, while in fact half your body is visible.
    -It will be easier for people who learn the game to play alien like marine...

... wait!
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can someone post a screenshot? I can't play yet! :P
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    It's been known the draw damage was off, I knew there was something up with it during PT but couldn't confirm.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That was the single most obvious change I found during map testing and I did not like it at all. But hey, now you can look at the pretty maps in their actual colors!

I'd accept the change if they used the Minimal Alien Vision mod in its entirety, but instead we got this. So yeah... guess we now have to adapt.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I haven't tried it yet but can understand people are upset, but why not just mod your alien vision? I actually couldn't use the default original because it gave me a headache
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think it looks awesome! Just saw it at a friend of mine.
    Its more a nightvision now, instead of a mode that you will keep on all the time because it has no drawbacks ( like it was before )
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    ezekel wrote: »
    I haven't tried it yet but can understand people are upset, but why not just mod your alien vision? I actually couldn't use the default original because it gave me a headache

Because alien vision mods are blocked in competitive matches. Also, the old one was perfectly fine for me.
  • ChesherChesher Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187125Members
    Just tried the new build out, the new Alien vision made me nauseated, causing me to vomit

At first it was just a real eye sore, I turned it on and off a few times, burned my retinas like hell, so didnt use it unless I needed too, figured out like most that it was like NVG's and was to be used only in dark areas, but when it removing the outline of marines and structures, I didn't use it much, even when it was dark

I figured for a laugh Id turn it on and see if I could use it for a whole round, man was that a bad idea...

I made it out of the base, past mezzanine, and into elevator transfer before that urge to vomit came up, and ended up me bent over my garbage can next to my chair, as well as myself getting shotgunned in the face in game.

Not sure what it is, I think between the brightness, and the movement, my body just couldn't cope with it.

I do miss the old vision, thats for sure, and considering now that regular vision gives you the outlines, I see absolutely no reason to use this "new" alien vision.

IMO it looks like a version of alien vision that was made in the games alpha vision, like the game devs didnt know what it was supposed to do, or how it was suposed to work, so it was just slapped in, and would hopefully get sorted out in a later alpha build, or beta

Just my 2 cents, and my somewhat terrible reaction to it