New Alien Vision

1171819202123»

Comments

• meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Decoy wrote: »
    The alien vision was changed so that aliens players could appreciate how pretty the game is.
    I dont understand the actions along this line of reasoning.

By "appreciate how pretty the game is", if that appreciation of prettiness is meant to come from the non-AV detail, then it's morally questionable to make a feature unbearable in order to force people to experience it.

If you're meant to appreciate the art with AV on... Well, he essentially replaced easy-on-the-eyes dark green scenery with headache-inducing bright orange and white, which seems poorly calculated at best.

Huze's minimal AV lets you see targets AND the scenery.

Uke's AV lets you see targets, makes the scenery arguably even prettier, and you can even see glass :P
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    The funny thing is, that Huze's minimal alien vision is literally what we have in the game right now. You don't even have to press f!
    Uke's AV lets you see targets, makes the scenery arguably even prettier

Please tell me this is a joke. Uke's AV looks barely better than the old official AV.
  • d4rkAlfd4rkAlf Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189309Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    The funny thing is, that Huze's minimal alien vision is literally what we have in the game right now. You don't even have to press f!

Far from. The default doesn't have the white edge highlighting that Huze's has. That means it doesn't work in pitch black rooms and you have to turn the orange crap on to see shit. Apart from that I have no problem with the default AV.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    @Meatmachine - The AV was changed so that you did not need to have it on at all times. You know how the marines are all outlined in orange now? Yeah, that's so you don't need to run around with your alien vision on 24/7 anymore. The alien vision we have is intended to be used in unpowered rooms. The orange/white is not awful in unpowered rooms. Powered rooms? Yeah, prepare your eyes to get raped.

It would be nice to offer different AVs as an option, but I don't know that it will happen. It's not our call :P
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    amoral wrote: »
    Roobubba wrote: »
    My issues in this thread have been entirely resolved through the excellent work of @mendasp who implemented several alien visions into NS2+, which is used in competitive and on many pub servers. It needs to be on more public servers, though!
    I personally like the minimal alien vision from Huze, and the fact that it now defaults to on is such a godsend.

it's been what? half a year, 600+ posts and literally no official response? allowing mods isn't the same as fixing an issue. but yeah, the mods are great, and they work on UWE servers, but of the servers i try, it's still 50/50 whether i'll be using orange or green.

my issues aren't resolved, sure the gameplay ones were, but my bigger complaint was that there was no actual communication on the issue.

this issue with the actual AV is as resolved as i expect it ever will be, but this does not mean that it was handled well.

The disadvantage of the size of UWE is that it cannot take on beta-testers so must turn to its community for feedback on bugs and fixes and to a certain extent on design issues and balance, but the advantage in this is it should be agile enough to respond to the issues that it's user base brings up. If you're going to be forced to exploit your users as beta-testers, why not actually listen to them when they tell you there's a problem?

again, the thread is one of the longest threads in the forums, don't tell me you weren't aware there was an issue with AV. 6 months of silence.

Was digging this up really necessary? There is no issue. The new alien vision is a flashlight. Deal with it.

Seeing as NS2 is now in the hands of community developers I'd say its the perfect time to bring this up.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    AV works the best it ever has. We finally got rid of the green and orange untextured mess. With AV off you get all the advantages of AV in NS1; it highlights marines; and that's all it needs to do. Any change that forces me to keep AV on or suffer a large disadvantages is terrible. As for which choice of colours to go with for AV on, it could be pink and chartreuse for all I care.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    Seeing as NS2 is now in the hands of community developers I'd say its the perfect time to bring this up.
    There are just faaarrrr too many opinions on what should be used / implemented as it's a subjective personal taste issue.
    This is why Sewlek decided to make AV non consistency checked by default.
    I haven't seen anyone say this so far since the necro so here it is:

YOU CAN RUN ANY ALIEN VISION YOU PLEASE, ON ANY SERVER
    (unless that server owner is a douchebag and intentionally goes out of their way to block it - unlikely)

So there's no point in making anything official really, seeing as how any implementation put in would upset X amount of users no matter what we chose.
    Thus.. you have an unlimited amount of options to choose from.
    Lastly.. I see little to no point in this thread anymore
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    There are just faaarrrr too many opinions on what should be used / implemented as it's a subjective personal taste issue.

(unless that server owner is a douchebag and intentionally goes out of their way to block it - unlikely)

So there's no point in making anything official really, seeing as how any implementation put in would upset X amount of users no matter what we chose.

Fair point.
  • RejZoRRejZoR Slovenia Join Date: 2013-09-24 Member: 188450Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I pretty much never use the "new" orange alien vision because it's ugly and useless. I'd much rather strain my eyes trying to see something in the dark than use that useless crap. The old one with outlined view on top of existing textures was much better. At least it didn't look like carrot vomit...
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    IronHorse wrote: »

I'll still be unhappy until it's no longer a pleasant surprise to have my green and orange. it still crops up here and there.