Build 246 has been released on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited April 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageBuild 246 has been released on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

Brian tried to stop us. ‘No! Not another patch! I don’t know if I can handle another patch!’ But we made him do it. The 19th post-release update is now live on Steam, where you can download it, keep it on your hard drive, and even play it!

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to open comment thread... From the bottom of the world!
  • IAmSecretSpyIAmSecretSpy Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176006Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Last Stand link is wrong :P
  • TheDRTheDR Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181820Members
    Any chance I can get that awesome Last Stand image as a wallpaper background?
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • ezayezay Join Date: 2013-03-11 Member: 183899Members
    Thanks. Wish we had something to improve the (horrible) feeling of playing a skulk, though.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Post amended to correct three errors:

Babbler cloak inherency did not make it into the build
    Autoteambalance improvements did not make it into the build
    Last Stand link now links correctly to the messy Steam Workshop page it should do
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Added 1 second cool down to scan to prevent spam

Noooooooooo, what about my endgame discos?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    I can't hold F1 anymore? I'm not going to lie...I'm really fucking mad.

EDIT: Ok, the cool down isn't THAT bad...don't make it any slower please :( (I still prefer no cd).
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @ghosthree3 : It was done for a Very Very Good Reason.™
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I assume to stop some exploit...I hope it wasn't to stop J1/J2 spam, because that's such a waste.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    CrushaK wrote: »
    Every patch again…

http://i.imgur.com/YqunAxs.jpg

You know theres a model in the viewer right?

I tired to update my mod, did not work
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    great, this was waited for. as every patch :P cant wait for the next one ;) ^:)^
  • gimmicgimmic Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183555Members
    Does this mean alien vision mods are out by default now? I don't know that I'll ever be able to stand the stock alien vision any more :(
  • WillzZzWillzZz Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182667Members
    Oh plzplzplzplz say this fixes all of the mod downloading errors.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited April 2013
    gimmic wrote: »
    Does this mean alien vision mods are out by default now? I don't know that I'll ever be able to stand the stock alien vision any more :(

It was already "out" by default before. You were just playing on servers accepting it.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Theres a very very big bug with the editor where you cant select props, sort of a big deal
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    CrushaK wrote: »
    Every patch again…

http://i.imgur.com/YqunAxs.jpg

You know theres a model in the viewer right?

I tired to update my mod, did not work

Still doesn't explain why it's precaching a shader that isn't used in the actual game yet.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2013
    WillzZz wrote: »
    Oh plzplzplzplz say this fixes all of the mod downloading errors.
    Almost completely.

You may still occasionally see error code 16, as it indicates a timeout.
    The best option is for the player to keep trying until their game successfully downloads the content.

The NS2 Client will attempt to download 5 times in a row if it detects this timeout and once mods are downloaded, they do not automatically remove themselves when the game is exited like they did in patch 245. But they will be updated if the mod author publishes a new mod to the workshop

If you experience error code 16 you should attempt to connect to the game server until all the mod files are completely downloaded from the content servers.

Alternatively you can also subscribe to the mod in workshop which should help as the game will download that content at the main menu, instead.

*Edit*: If anyone has any problems with mods or this patch please make a post in the tech support forums. I can assist you there.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I followed the steps yet it still created a new mod, not a huge issue for me because my mod isn't released yet but for other people this will be more significant.
  • gimmicgimmic Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183555Members
    Has there been any consideration in adding a console command to pre-render everything on first load? It's obviously worse after a patch with the shader rendering, but each game launch I wish I could just hit a button that says "pre-load everything now"
  • ijustpwnedu96ijustpwnedu96 Join Date: 2013-01-27 Member: 182320Members
    Thank you for your hard work on the mods and update! Really appreciate the effort and love put into it.

I would love to see more optimizations in future Builds so my friends and many people with less powerful computers can enjoy this game aswell.

Keep up the great work!
  • FarewelltoarmsFarewelltoarms gainesville fl Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183603Members
    When are we going to have an actual "balance" patch?
  • LústLúst Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178186Members
    Would have liked to see some Marine buffs or Lerk nerfs this patch. Would really like to see "Minimal Alien Vision" a thing also. Still unsure if Il ever get a chance to try the new mods.
    edited April 2013
    gimmic wrote: »
    Has there been any consideration in adding a console command to pre-render everything on first load? It's obviously worse after a patch with the shader rendering, but each game launch I wish I could just hit a button that says "pre-load everything now"
    By pre rendered i take it you mean Pre-cached.
    Everything in game should be precached already.*
    (thats the precaching % you see while loading)

If you are unsure, disable "Texture streaming" in your options if you have it on- and once you are in a game already, type loadtimes true in the console (~ key) and it will print out what file and how long it took to load said file in milliseconds - When / if it loads anything.
    So if you play a whole game and your log.txt (in your hidden %appdata%\Natural Selection 2\ folder) or console never reported anything similar to this** :

Loading 'models/alien/shade/shade.model' took 43.73 ms
    Loading 'shaders/blur.screenfx' took 43.74 ms
    Loading 'shaders/hivevision.screenfx' took 44.25 ms

Then you are okay. IF you saw it loading something and its more than 5 ms time, please PM me it.
    Thanks.

*except for some fonts, which was deemed acceptable
    **Map loads will obviously load a ton of information, so ignore map loading information if you are collecting this data. I suggest typing something in game to mark the map load being complete, making it easier to find in logs.
  • naXynaXy Join Date: 2008-07-12 Member: 64618Members
    nanoshield tooltip is reverted to the old one, thought it was changed back again but it was just the tooltip. It was very depressing :(
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    By default, the consistency configuration file will include all file types except UI textures and View Model assets

Great. So much for interesting fun cool mods like Dread Guard Aliens and 5th Recon Marines and Organic Alien Overhaul. They'll be disabled by default, which in practical terms means disabled everywhere. The only time any server op has ever overridden the defaults, it's been to increase the restrictions on skin mods, not loosen them. Because OMG CHEETERZ!!!

Most server ops don't care, but whereas before "don't care" meant hey, great, knock yourself out now it means no skins for you!

Because OMG CHEETERZ.

Pfeh.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    1. I think the upcoming change to unrestrict team joining will be a great, great thing when it finally makes it in. Great idea, good job UWE.

2. The fix for mod downloading failures is certainly quite welcome. I mean, it doesn't bother the veterans, but it's been a confounding problem for new players, and lord knows newbies are confounded enough already.

3. Now that the consistency checker can use precomputed hashes instead of having to compute them live against the existing files present on the server, it's just a small step towards allowing arbitrary numbers of hashes to match any given file rather than just a single hash per file. Which means that we could move towards whitelisting mods. So that, for example, if a server op wanted to ban "cheaty" skins but still allow my beloved and in-no-way-whatsoever-advantageous Dread Guard Alien skins, then they could (were they so inclined) add the file hashes from that mod to the list of allowable hashes.

Please please please make it so.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    edited April 2013
    CrazyEddie wrote: »
    By default, the consistency configuration file will include all file types except UI textures and View Model assets

Great. So much for interesting fun cool mods like Dread Guard Aliens and 5th Recon Marines and Organic Alien Overhaul. They'll be disabled by default, which in practical terms means disabled everywhere. The only time any server op has ever overridden the defaults, it's been to increase the restrictions on skin mods, not loosen them. Because OMG CHEETERZ!!!

Most server ops don't care, but whereas before "don't care" meant hey, great, knock yourself out now it means no skins for you!

Because OMG CHEETERZ.

Pfeh.
    Sorry but this is a great move, having those skins also allowed undesirable skins by default.

Does not really bode well for new players who are trying to be sneaky if players are using neon skulks.

Besides which...those skins kind of defeated/devalued the whole black and deluxe armour that us early investors got.

Edit...Not sure I like the idea of removing team joining restrictions...outside of comp games I dont see this being of any value...and would simply lead to more 1 sided team stacking.