(!) Let's enjoy playing NS2 once again. AltBalance.

Comments

• BigTracerBigTracer Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174169Members
    edited February 2013
    So, guys, what do you think of this changelog? Feels good?

Features:
    -Aliens-
    1. Bilebomb: -20% damage.
    2. Hallucinations got 3 times more HP.
    3. Adjusted costs of Chambers to 10 res and Evolutions to 15. Shift Hatch reduced to 3 res.
    4. Crags only heal up to 65% of your constitution.
    5. Xenocide, Umbra and Vortex are available at Second Hive. Research time is increased. Costs adjusted.
    6. Khammander can't drop Onos eggs.
    7. Gorge, Fade and Onos altered to have more base armor. Amount of armor with Carapace is the same.
    8. Fade altered to have significantly more survivability and less mobility with Shadow step.

-Marines-
    1. Tech Tree became less expensive, more posibilities for staring builds and general strategy.
    2. Advanced Armory got removed, functionality passed to basic Armory. 2 per room max, to prevent turtling. Costs sligtly reduced.
    3. Sentry altered to be an offensive tool. 1 per room, doesn't require power, can be built on infestation, reacts faster. Damage is the same, has a blind zone of 90 degrees.
    4. Batteries work as small reserve power sources for structures. 1 per room, small radius. Don't need Robotics to use.
    5. Phase Gates are limited to 3 per map. Use them wisely.
    6. Mines trigger faster.
    7. Slightly higher jetpack acceleration.
    8. ARCs HP reduced to 1500, damage reduced by 35%
    9. Nanoshield: 35% dmg reduction and 60 sec cooldown.
    10. Claw Exo cost reduced to 35 res. All exos get slighlty more armor and can crush cysts.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you actually made the marine tech tree cheaper, you really do not understand the current problems in NS2. The marine tech tree is already too cheap, and it is too easy to almost always fully tech up by 12-15 minutes, even if your loosing rts like crazy. Aliens dont need to be more powerful on 2 hives, the only reason they usually loose on 2 hives currently is just because they are only holding 2-3 rts.

Still not a single change to adjust marine turtling or alien snowballing, so I wouldnt go making the kind of claims you are.
  • Not SureNot Sure Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177758Members
    I'm sorry that you're offended by people implying you don't understand balance, but you seriously do not understand balance.
    xDragon wrote: »
    If you actually made the marine tech tree cheaper, you really do not understand the current problems in NS2. The marine tech tree is already too cheap, and it is too easy to almost always fully tech up by 12-15 minutes, even if your loosing rts like crazy. Aliens dont need to be more powerful on 2 hives, the only reason they usually loose on 2 hives currently is just because they are only holding 2-3 rts.

Still not a single change to adjust marine turtling or alien snowballing, so I wouldnt go making the kind of claims you are.

-Marine turtling-
    1. 2 armories per room.
    2. 1 sentry per room instead of 3.
    3. Nanoshield nerfed.

-Alien snowballing is countered by increased prices for aliens and faster deployment/advancing/assaulting of marines. Aliens can't just chill till they get 75 p.res and faceroll rines' main.

Not Sure wrote: »
    I'm sorry that you're offended by people implying you don't understand balance, but you seriously do not understand balance.

Give me a tip.
    edited February 2013
    xDragon wrote: »

Aliens don't get more powerful at two hives. They just have more options now. Prices and cooldowns are high, you can't reasearch everything. It's better than having leap/bile/stomp and cara/celerity every godbless game, because everything else is not worth the res.
    the only reason they usually loose on 2 hives currently is just because they are only holding 2-3 rts.
    When aliens are down to 2-3 rts, it means they're worse players and couldn't hold marines that phased every corner. Because technically aliens are a lot stronger in a mean of expansion.

This mod is less about balance and more about new strategies now. When was the last time you saw a Xenocide or a flamethrower in game? Now you can on a regular basis. More options - less predictable strategies - more fun.
  • Not SureNot Sure Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177758Members
    I really don't know how to describe my concept of balance to you. It's something that I've picked up over years of playing RTS games, which I think is the same place the rest of your detractors are coming from.

The simplest way I can explain my problem with your mod is that where you see "balance flaws," I see "tactically knowledgeable players beating tactically unaware players."
    edited February 2013
    I really don't know how to describe my concept of balance to you. It's something that I've picked up over years of playing RTS games, which I think is the same place the rest of your detractors are coming from.

The simplest way I can explain my problem with your mod is that where you see "balance flaws," I see "tactically knowledgeable players beating tactically unaware players."

Let's put away word "balance". What actually happened is game got changed to have more options viable. In example. Marines got 3 tools to defend stuff: sentries, mines and phase gates. What we see in game? Phase gates everywhere and sometimes mines. What does that mean? Phase gates are effective, mines and turrets are not.

And it's dusturbing, because there is 1 most effective build orded for marines and 1 for aliens.

And what I did was making more viable choises. By altering already presented and modifying tech tree to make more options worth the res.

I should really rename mod, cause it turns out I meant more options and diverse gameplay under balance.
    edited February 2013

I got what you mean. I don't try to cover this flaws as a balance problems anymore. I played several games today and both sides were winning for different reasons. Usually presence of good shooting and cooperation skills.

Actually, what I've noticed is the team that wins first encounters and secures more rt's usually wins the game. But, aliens got a chance for comeback, due to their "tech explosion" and marines can only roleplay brave armadillos vs wolves.

Man, that's another insight. I need to figure this out now.
  • JAMESEARLJONOSJAMESEARLJONOS Join Date: 2012-12-15 Member: 175155Members
    BigTracer wrote: »

Features:

8. Fade altered to have significantly more survivability and less mobility with Shadow step.

lol
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited February 2013
    Savant wrote: »
    OutlawDr wrote: »
    That's Natural Selection 2 we all are going to enjoy.
    BigTracer, this is exactly what rubs people the wrong way about your "balance" mod. Your proclaiming all these problems as solved when you haven't even tested them yet. Add in a little modesty. Try it could work. Put it your patch notes.
    Where are you seeing ANYTHING remotely similar to a remark that says he has essentially "fixed balance and the developers can go home now"...?

Ok... you need to stop rigt there with your strawman arguement. I think you are too busy championing him to actually read what I wrote. I have yet to say anything specific on his balance suggestions, becuase frankly I haven't played his MOD. I however do think he would have greater success and garner more supporters to help him out if he just toned down his annoying bragging and boastfulness.
    Also, the sentry as an offensive tool isn't necessarily bad per se. It's out of terrible turtle mode, but it'd definitely be a bit on the overpowered side in supporting marines that can shoot. It's not significant enough to care too much about either way, which is probably where sentries should be in the first place - minor tools that don't have much of an impact on the game.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Your proclaiming all these problems as solved when you haven't even tested them yet. Add in a little modesty.
    Where are you seeing ANYTHING remotely similar to a remark that says he has essentially "fixed balance and the developers can go home now"...?
    I have yet to say anything specific on his balance suggestions, becuase frankly I haven't played his MOD.
    Which is precisely why people shouldn't be QQing about it. It's one thing to actually play it and come back to say "I've played it, I don't like it, and here's why" - it's quite another to say "I haven't played it, but (insert scathing criticism here)."

Then, when I call out this behaviour the response is "well he isn't nice enough." Seriously? This thread is about a MOD. If you don't like the mod author, sort it out in PMs, those are the forum rules. Otherwise, let's stick to discussing the MOD.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members

Features:
    -Aliens-
    2. Hallucinations got 3 times more HP.
    3. Adjusted costs of Chambers to 10 res and Evolutions to 15. Shift Hatch reduced to 3 res.
    4. Crags only heal up to 65% of your constitution.
    5. Xenocide, Umbra and Vortex are available at Second Hive. Research time is increased. Costs adjusted.
    6. Khammander can't drop Onos eggs.
    7. Gorge, Fade and Onos altered to have more base armor. Amount of armor with Carapace is the same.

-Marines-
    1. Tech Tree became less expensive, more posibilities for staring builds and general strategy.
    2. Advanced Armory got removed, functionality passed to basic Armory. 2 per room max, to prevent turtling. Costs sligtly reduced.
    3. Sentry altered to be an offensive tool. 1 per room, doesn't require power, can be built on infestation, reacts faster. Damage is the same, has a blind zone of 90 degrees.
    4. Batteries work as small reserve power sources for structures. 1 per room, small radius. Don't need Robotics to use.
    6. Mines trigger faster.
    10. Claw Exo cost reduced to 35 res. All exos get slighlty more armor and can crush cysts.

1. i'm going to wait and see
    2. viable hallucination use is always a plus
    3. i don't comm so wait and see
    4. i question the wisdom of this, so gotta return to hive to heal up fully? you're really gimping khamm's ability to aid his soldiers
    5. do you know how op 2 hive umbra would be? more powerful than cara.
    6. i don't really see the point.
    7. again, not really seeing the point, cara will almost always be the right choice.
    8. i don't understand what this means, details would help.

1. not a comm
    2. timing could be an issue, grenades too early could be devastating.
    3. wait and see
    4. wait and see
    5. don't think this is a good idea, more than 3-4 makes getting around a pain, and hard limit at 3 makes it so you can't have 3 techs and a forward gate
    6. someone already said why buffing mines would really screw the early game balance
    7. wait and see
    8. wait and see, might be too nerfed
    9. wait and see
    10. i question the wisdom, just get a bad feeling about this.
    edited February 2013
    Guys, guys, hold on again. The problem is during that modding week I almost haven't played NS2 at all. And I had several games, and those words of you finally got me and I got what Xarius was saying.

I tried to fix things softly, by giving marines faster tech advancing. But the problem still stays, aliens can turtle it out and choo-choo back at marines.

So, Phase 2 starts right away. More intrusive solution.

Regarding fade:
    -Shadow Step takes 70 energy out of 100. Jump costs nothing.
    -Instead fade gets 300 hp and 100 basic armor(150 cara).

Combine this options with cele/adren and we get new fade's style. Now fade's agile fighter, but not a glass cannon. He didn't really worth those 50 res. Now fade cannot be taken down by 1 person, cause fade survives 2 direct w3 shotgun blows.

Ok, I read your feedbacks, guys, and I'm starting Phase 2 right away. Most likely some of current changes will get altered. I'd believe my responsible, active position gives you warmth. That's how I think games should be made.
    amoral wrote: »
    4. i question the wisdom of this, so gotta return to hive to heal up fully? you're really gimping khamm's ability to aid his soldiers
    Nope. You can be healed by gorgies.
    5. don't think this is a good idea, more than 3-4 makes getting around a pain, and hard limit at 3 makes it so you can't have 3 techs and a forward gate
    That's the point. Phase technology is a complicated and expensive one in means of a lore.
    Phase Gates are most usefull defense option, because you can have the whole armed marine team in several seconds anywhere. And it's being overused. I want to see other options in game as well.
    6. someone already said why buffing mines would really screw the early game balance
    Now marines need some additional defense.
    Holy god. Out of pure boredom, I downloaded the mod to see how bad things were in practice. You seriously don't have a grasp on what you're changing at all.

Aliens:

My response to the fade change should have been a capitalized LOL. The fade would be completely, 100% useless with your changes. For reference, at full energy (no adren), after your first shadowstep, you have to wait 5 seconds before shadow stepping again. After that, not counting any normal attacks, it takes 8 seconds to recharge for another shadowstep. You could increase the Fade's HP/armor by 3 times what it is in the default game, and the unit would still be useless with changes like that. The Fade survives entirely on its ability to not take hits. The fact that you think you could take all the dodging ability away from a large hitbox unit and have it be useful is just incomprehensible.

And for the record, a Fade would get destroyed by one person with the changes you made.

Marines:

You can get jetpack/shotgun marines with armor 2 (completed), and armor 3 researching at 4:45 into the game with only 4 RTs. LOL.

I'm not even going to bother writing about all the other crap that's wrong. What I just listed should be enough for everyone else reading this thread. Mother of god.

edited February 2013
    Holy god. Out of pure boredom, I downloaded the mod to see how bad things were in practice. You seriously don't have a grasp on what you're changing at all.

Aliens:

My response to the fade change should have been a capitalized LOL. The fade would be completely, 100% useless with your changes. For reference, at full energy (no adren), after your first shadowstep, you have to wait 5 seconds before shadow stepping again. After that, not counting any normal attacks, it takes 8 seconds to recharge for another shadowstep. You could increase the Fade's HP/armor by 3 times what it is in the default game, and the unit would still be useless with changes like that. The Fade survives entirely on its ability to not take hits. The fact that you think you could take all the dodging ability away from a large hitbox unit and have it be useful is just incomprehensible.

And for the record, a Fade would get destroyed by one person with the changes you made.

Marines:

You can get jetpack/shotgun marines with armor 2 (completed), and armor 3 researching at 4:45 into the game with only 4 RTs. LOL.

I'm not even going to bother writing about all the other crap that's wrong. What I just listed should be enough for everyone else reading this thread. Mother of god.

You jump in on the construction site, see half built skyscrapper without windows and shout "Aha, you suck!"

Agreed, these changes were not enough analyzed. I wanted to release it yesterday and was too tired to analyze that. Thanks for pointing it out, even thou you dislike both mod and myself . You make mod better.

Like half of those changes are going to..hmm..change again to fit Phase 2 mechanics.
    edited February 2013

Aliens:

And why should no adrena, no blink fade should be a killing machine? You're exaggerating.

You can get jetpack/shotgun marines with armor 2 (completed), and armor 3 researching at 4:45 into the game with only 4 RTs.
    Work in process.
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    I still think it's the marines, when played properly, who are the overpowered team. Trying to nerf aliens because you run off on your own then get slaughtered because you think it's call of duty, thne scream and cry imbalance, is not how you balance a game.
    Rich_ wrote: »
    I still think it's the marines, when played properly, who are the overpowered team. Trying to nerf aliens because you run off on your own then get slaughtered because you think it's call of duty, thne scream and cry imbalance, is not how you balance a game.

Choo-choo!
    thats adorable, it would make a great exo pet
    edited February 2013
    thats adorable, it would make a great exo pet

You didn't get it. It's an Onos Rape Train. There are 4 onoses on that pic.
    well in that case ur gonna need two whole exos to tame them
    well in that case ur gonna need two whole exos to tame them

Oh you.

And why should no adrena, no blink fade should be a killing machine? You're exaggerating.

I'm not exaggerating in the least. Fade's live purely off their ability to be actively dodging whenever they're not hitting something. The amount of damage a Fade takes when it's not mid shadowstep is enormous. And that's without considering important things like the ability to get around the map quickly.

Fade is a lifeform that's entirely based around evasion. It pretty much has to be given the crazy size of its model. Any decrease to its manuverability like preventing it from constantly shadowstepping results in exponentially reduced effectiveness. The amount you'd have to increase its health and armor to compensate would basically make it Onos-lite. As it is, even in the current game Fade's have serious, serious problems staying alive against marines who can shotgun well - let alone if they lose the ability to be constantly moving.

I'm not exaggerating in the least. Fade's live purely off their ability to be actively dodging whenever they're not hitting something. The amount of damage a Fade takes when it's not mid shadowstep is enormous. And that's without considering important things like the ability to get around the map quickly.

Fade is a lifeform that's entirely based around evasion. It pretty much has to be given the crazy size of its model. Any decrease to its manuverability like preventing it from constantly shadowstepping results in exponentially reduced effectiveness. The amount you'd have to increase its health and armor to compensate would basically make it Onos-lite. As it is, even in the current game Fade's have serious, serious problems staying alive against marines who can shotgun well - let alone if they lose the ability to be constantly moving.

Ok, you made your point. I agree with you.

And, btw, you should've tried 1.4, it hadn't these problems. You're gonna like next version nevertheless. Today. Thanks for feedback!
    This one was easy to implement and I decided what to do yesterday, so in like 2 hours new update is going to be on the server, after I test it. This time Alien Snowballing is fixed, and issues mentioned by JAMESEARLJONOS are tweaked as well.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Your proclaiming all these problems as solved when you haven't even tested them yet. Add in a little modesty.
    I have yet to say anything specific on his balance suggestions, becuase frankly I haven't played his MOD.
    Which is precisely why people shouldn't be QQing about it. It's one thing to actually play it and come back to say "I've played it, I don't like it, and here's why" - it's quite another to say "I haven't played it, but (insert scathing criticism here)."

Then, when I call out this behaviour the response is "well he isn't nice enough." Seriously? This thread is about a MOD. If you don't like the mod author, sort it out in PMs, those are the forum rules. Otherwise, let's stick to discussing the MOD.
    He literally said he "fixed balance" and "this is the NS2 we're all going to enjoy" under a changelog that changed Shadowstep cost to 70% of the adrenaline pool, among other silly or pointless changes. Not to mention other ridiculous changes in the past. I have no interest in playing the guy's mod because he has made it abundantly clear he has absolutely no idea how this game works, and many others seem to feel the same way.

Yes, it's "just a mod" and the guy is putting in work, but just because something is a commendable effort in theory doesn't mean you have to applaud it. I don't need to play it to judge it, because I'm intelligent enough to tell whether I will like something or not if the bad things about it massively outweigh the good things, and this mod doesn't have anything good about it.
    edited February 2013
    New stuff arrived, guys. Hail the Onos King.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=127813673

Phase 2: "Onos King"
    Current version: 2.0

Reworked onos system. Onos can only be created by Khammender with at least two hives. It costs 150 res. It has 4000 hp and 750(1000) armor. No stomp. If you let it come, it's too late for you to run.

Features:
    -Aliens-
    2. Hallucinations got 4 times more HP. No onos hallucination.
    4. Crags heal 33% slower.
    5. Xenocide, Umbra and Vortex are available at Second Hive. All abilities cost 35 res to research.
    6. Carapace nerfed. Gorge, Fade and Onos have more base armor and armor level with carapace is old. Skulks have 20 armor with carapace.

-Marines-
    1. Advanced Armory got removed, functionality passed to basic Armory. 2 per room max, to prevent turtling. Costs sligtly reduced.
    2. Prototype Lab costs 50 res, jetpack tech and jetpacks +5 res cost.
    3. Sentry. 1 per room, doesn't require power, can be built on infestation, reacts faster. Higher damage, 7 res.
    6. Mines trigger faster.
    edited February 2013
    Says

When you make some wrong steps, it doesn't mean you're bad at walking. It's hard to keep all stuff in my head at this level, but as much as I keep working, it gets and will get better. Especially with feedback and support from community. As much as JAMESEARLJONOS hates this mod and eventually me, he keeps giving good feedback and I keep improving it.