Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 229 is now live on Steam

Comments

• Marty123Marty123 Join Date: 2012-09-06 Member: 158055Members
    Lol...I just had the forum favorited and never went to the front page. I'm an idiot. Disregard that previous comment.
  • Ness_FrogKingNess_FrogKing Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162628Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2023898:date=Nov 14 2012, 07:52 PM:name=SupaDupaNoodle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SupaDupaNoodle @ Nov 14 2012, 07:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023898"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also marine buildings flash blue/black when they are under attack, but I'm sure it used to be red in 228. I don't know if this is intentional, but I preferred the red flashes as it was easier to see what exactly was being munched by skulks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It was transparent, not red, at least on the alien side. So, basically, if something was under attack it would fade off the map then reappear.

<!--quoteo(post=2024044:date=Nov 14 2012, 10:09 PM:name=Sehzade)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sehzade @ Nov 14 2012, 10:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024044"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->one question: 500 armor = 1000 effective HP ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Depends on the type of damage. Light damage, 1 armour = 4 hp; normal damage, 1 armour = 2 hp; heavy damage, 1 armour = 1 hp. Since, as far as I know, the majority of weapons are normal damage, that's a close enough estimate. Could be anywhere from 500 to 2000, depending on what's hitting it.
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2024993:date=Nov 15 2012, 09:24 PM:name=Cim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cim @ Nov 15 2012, 09:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024993"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just wanted to say that I played a few games with a buddy who's new to the game... and after three rounds of being dominated by camouflaged Skulks, he was ready to uninstall the game and never look back.

Having one (or more) Skulks approach you completely silent and 100% invisible pretty much guarantees they get the first hit, in which case a new players is screwed. The way it is now leads to some incredibly frustrating gameplay. Forcing the marine commander to spam scan/observatories everywhere or loose. For new players it's a infuriating nightmare.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What about suggesting him to unistall himself? in that case its not the game that sux, its him. Duh.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2024993:date=Nov 15 2012, 02:24 PM:name=Cim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cim @ Nov 15 2012, 02:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2024993"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just wanted to say that I played a few games with a buddy who's new to the game... and after three rounds of being dominated by camouflaged Skulks, he was ready to uninstall the game and never look back.

Having one (or more) Skulks approach you completely silent and 100% invisible pretty much guarantees they get the first hit, in which case a new players is screwed. The way it is now leads to some incredibly frustrating gameplay. Forcing the marine commander to spam scan/observatories everywhere or loose. For new players it's a infuriating nightmare.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And camoflauge is hardly used in decent games due to the fact that scan and field obs counter it so hard.
    l2p issue
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    Ahhh good old new builds offer new ways to exploit the map, mainly finding new places to build building on the ceiling of the maps.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2025053:date=Nov 16 2012, 12:24 AM:name=Cim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cim @ Nov 16 2012, 12:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025053"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, because <i>that's</i> what I wrote...

It's not about winning or loosing, it's about the gameplay. Being constantly attacked by enemies which are already in biting range before you see or hear them is frustrating. This is regardless of your skill level but it's almost impossible for a new player to deal with. There's no a whole lot of room to learn either with the way it works now as unless your always looking around for it, asking your commander for scans, you'll die very quickly. It leads to frustrating gameplay is all I'm saying.

The difference between partially and 100% invisible is huge though. Partial invisibility gives you a chance, which if you ask me would lead to much less frustration.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You are right, that it is very difficult to fight against good camo skulk now. But You need to keep in mind, that this game is a FPS / RTS hybrid. You are dependent on your commander. If your commander isn't able to counter the strategy of the enemy team, than you will lose. But if you have a good commander, it is no problem to place obs on every important base and scan on every push. This counters the whole shade upgrade path completely.

To the patch: I'm not sure yet, if craigs are overpowered. They are worth their res now. They maybe shouldn't stack. Maybe they need a decrease in their own health. But all in all I like this patch. Regen is actually an option to carapace now.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    They really have no excuse not to post the balance changes for a released build.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    NS2 just crashed for no reason in the middle of a game... never happened to me since alpha.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Problemsignatur:
    Problemereignisname: BEX
    Anwendungsname: ns2.exe
    Anwendungsversion: 0.0.0.0
    Anwendungszeitstempel: 50a3e933
    Fehlermodulname: MSVCR80.dll
    Fehlermodulversion: 8.0.50727.6195
    Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 4dcddbf3
    Ausnahmeoffset: 00008aa0
    Ausnahmecode: c000000d
    Ausnahmedaten: 00000000
    Betriebsystemversion: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Gebietsschema-ID: 1031
    Zusatzinformation 1: 41e0
    Zusatzinformation 2: 41e08bcf5d07b3ffe85e171506c1f4cd
    Zusatzinformation 3: 44ff
    Zusatzinformation 4: 44ff227654919882bb8b1eeb5dfe2ad8<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Looks like they unnerfed the whip, finally it throws grenades back again. No longer an entirely useless 15 t.res investment. Thank you UWE!
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think it's a bit frustrating that deflected grenades deal damage to the marine that fired them. With the deflect buffs it's already crazy hard to break through a fortification of whips + crags, grenades actually doing more harm than good just feels sadistic.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2025852:date=Nov 16 2012, 09:55 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 16 2012, 09:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025852"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it's a bit frustrating that deflected grenades deal damage to the marine that fired them. With the deflect buffs it's already crazy hard to break through a fortification of whips + crags, grenades actually doing more harm than good just feels sadistic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Unless they removed the on fire whip behavior you can use a flamethrower to light them up to prevent them from throwing grenades back, use arcs, or there are also creative ways of aiming your grenades that will get around whips.

Honestly, with proper grenade whack back we might see more arc play which would be nice.
  • RadiocageRadiocage Join Date: 2002-09-30 Member: 1381Members
    ARCs are under used. Having a skilled marine guard a couple of ARCs usually means whatever you're attacking is going to go down, including a hive. I'm pretty new to commanding, but we managed to get a couple of Hive kills despite being completely over-powered by the aliens. They're good if you really have to break through a tough defense to get to the hive.

Then again, most people just use the robotics factory for sentry guns, neglecting MACs and ARCs to a significant degree. Which sucks, because having several MACs hanging around an exo or two takes pressure off the welders so they can stay alive and fight more. ARCs are just icing on the cake.

I've found some use in bombadier whips, as well. I try to park them in an area and have them attack sentry batteries. Of course, this is assuming you've either got a low player count, or a ton of resources. Furthermore, I'm the comm that likes to use hallucinations, too. I try to play with all the alien commander toys.
  • hapi18hapi18 Join Date: 2012-07-26 Member: 154370Members
    edited November 2012
    I wonder if you will show us this patch win ratio ever!
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <a href="http://ns2stats.org/" target="_blank">http://ns2stats.org/</a>

Ns2 stats says that aliens are at a 60% win rate, not sure if thats an official source though
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2026224:date=Nov 16 2012, 04:10 PM:name=ritualsacrifice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ritualsacrifice @ Nov 16 2012, 04:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026224"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://ns2stats.org/" target="_blank">http://ns2stats.org/</a>

Ns2 stats says that aliens are at a 60% win rate, not sure if thats an official source though<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS2Stats is a community mod. The data they collect is from servers with it installed. While it is good data, it is a much smaller sample than what UWE has to look at. However, I'd say the NS2Stats win ratio is probably at a margin of error of +-2% as it is still a fairly large section of the total servers.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    I wonder when people will stop caring about winrate when the game still needs to sort out fundamental gameplay issues! :D
  • hapi18hapi18 Join Date: 2012-07-26 Member: 154370Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026259:date=Nov 16 2012, 04:36 PM:name=Gliss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gliss @ Nov 16 2012, 04:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026259"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wonder when people will stop caring about winrate when the game still needs to sort out fundamental gameplay issues! :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I wonder why is it released than?
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited November 2012
    60% win rate of aliens sounds about right, it would be a lot higher for marines when marine commanders stop being stupid and wasting resources on sentries and factories. It's just the nature of the marine team that without teamwork you get steamrolled, usually 6 minutes into the game by an onos.
  • CimCim Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147403Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2025640:date=Nov 16 2012, 05:48 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Nov 16 2012, 05:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2025640"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You are right, that it is very difficult to fight against good camo skulk now. But You need to keep in mind, that this game is a FPS / RTS hybrid. You are dependent on your commander. If your commander isn't able to counter the strategy of the enemy team, than you will lose. But if you have a good commander, it is no problem to place obs on every important base and scan on every push. This counters the whole shade upgrade path completely.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well aware what type of game it is... but I still see the changes to camo as something out of character for the game. As I've understood it things aren't supposed to have hard counters in NS2 and for the most part they don't. As you point out though, not only is obs/scan a hard counter to the camo, it's the only way to counter it.

The way I see it, good use of the commander is stuff like medpacks and ammo drops. They can sway a battle between players who knows what they are doing. Camo skulks vs marines though? They don't stand a chance without a scan if the skulks are somewhat competent atm. Having something be a required counter is out of place in NS2 if you ask me.
  • RadiocageRadiocage Join Date: 2002-09-30 Member: 1381Members
    edited November 2012
    Is it just me or did anyone else take a significant performance hit in the latest patch? I've never had FPS below 40, and now I rarely get higher... except in the options menu on the main screen where I get 140.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    I now rescind any defense I put up for the devs regarding the alien regen adjustment in the latest patch. After playing as aliens & marines about 10x each, this is absolutely <i>absurd</i>. I was Onos a lot of times and with regen I was essentially invincible.. reminded me of having god mode on in older games. I can't believe how far off it is, its actually laughable, and I mean that. I go aliens and just laugh while marines try to kill me! Please fix it though, it would be nice to go back to have actual competitive games.
  • spaztazcularspaztazcular Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171595Members
    Yeah just played a match Onos with regan is OP. The Onos heals in like 5-10 seconds and is at full health. For something that hard to take down that's a little much.
  • spaztazcularspaztazcular Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171595Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026489:date=Nov 16 2012, 08:30 PM:name=joederp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (joederp @ Nov 16 2012, 08:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026489"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I now rescind any defense I put up for the devs regarding the alien regen adjustment in the latest patch. After playing as aliens & marines about 10x each, this is absolutely <i>absurd</i>. I was Onos a lot of times and with regen I was essentially invincible.. reminded me of having god mode on in older games. I can't believe how far off it is, its actually laughable, and I mean that. I go aliens and just laugh while marines try to kill me! Please fix it though, it would be nice to go back to have actual competitive games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your not completely invicible, but it is decently bad. I hpope they'll find a fix for this quick. Would hate to see this game die because of something like this.
  • Scavenger0Scavenger0 Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169648Members
    edited November 2012
    Ive been getting some random game freeze issues since the patch... have not had any issues with the previous build. So far happens when I'm commanding Marines about to issue a command, have not had any issues that i can recall outside of commanding. No error, just the typical sound starts looping; i can tab out and end program no problem, and start up again.

My system specs are fairly good, and it was a non-issue with previous build, but something introduced/changed in the latest patch is causing grief.

Using Win 7 x64.
  • IllidanIllidan Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19861Members
    Hmm, something seems to be too buffed now... 3 exos (a2 w2; being welded by 3 marines) shooting at 2 onos with a single gorge on infestation (away from hive or anything else, even no crags nearby!) --> 3 exos and 3 marines down, 2 onos alive... what went wrong?
  • JediPhreaKJediPhreaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167028Members
    I have played a lot of Marines, and I have seen about 1 in 10 matches go for Marines. And that was with players who knew how to work together as Marines and a good commander. Right now the game is very skewed in favor of the Aliens. I prefer the play style of the marines but I get the feeling that we are going to see a drastic decline in active players soon if this doesn't get fixed.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026489:date=Nov 16 2012, 11:30 PM:name=joederp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (joederp @ Nov 16 2012, 11:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026489"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I now rescind any defense I put up for the devs regarding the alien regen adjustment in the latest patch. After playing as aliens & marines about 10x each, this is absolutely <i>absurd</i>. I was Onos a lot of times and with regen I was essentially invincible.. reminded me of having god mode on in older games. I can't believe how far off it is, its actually laughable, and I mean that. I go aliens and just laugh while marines try to kill me! Please fix it though, it would be nice to go back to have actual competitive games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There you go. That's why I refrained from major comments until I had played several games.

And then I wrote what I wrote.

They better fix this pronto or as people say, they will destroy the game.
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    I found some bugged textures in the vent that goes under Cargo in Veil. They had black and white 4x4 squares in each of the 3 bugged faces.
  • IllidanIllidan Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19861Members
    I stop playing NS2 now until a new patch comes out with regen fixed! Patch 229 just sucks with this regen buff!

We had a good marine team, map control over 3 locations, ALL rts except of 3. Then 1 stupid onos with regen came by and took out everything at lockerroom, then at cafeteria. And finally at docking and we didnt have any chance. We had an exo, weapon 3, armor 3 but shooting this damn onos didnt help anything! Then (dont know how they got that many res, but ok...) 3 more onos came by --> game over, none of the onos died. And this after 12 minutes and having good map control as marines...

With patch 229 it seems to me like every stupid alien goes onos / regen asap now, just 'coz it's so unbalanced and easy to win.

Good job UWE-team! NS2 ain't fun anymore!
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2026910:date=Nov 17 2012, 11:36 AM:name=Illidan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Illidan @ Nov 17 2012, 11:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2026910"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I stop playing NS2 now until a new patch comes out with regen fixed! Patch 229 just sucks with this regen buff!

We had a good marine team, map control over 3 locations, ALL rts except of 3. Then 1 stupid onos with regen came by and took out everything at lockerroom, then at cafeteria. And finally at docking and we didnt have any chance. We had an exo, weapon 3, armor 3 but shooting this damn onos didnt help anything! Then (dont know how they got that many res, but ok...) 3 more onos came by --> game over, none of the onos died. And this after 12 minutes and having good map control as marines...

With patch 229 it seems to me like every stupid alien goes onos / regen asap now, just 'coz it's so unbalanced and easy to win.

Good job UWE-team! NS2 ain't fun anymore!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Since 229, so many servers I've joined from around the world and one of the first things aliens say is get regen cos its broken to the comm. And what people always say on marines is aliens are op so we'll probably lose since we started with only 3v3 before server filled up.

The only time aliens lose is if there's a noob comm who doesn't get regen or cap any res nodes. In fact, I was in such a game. Marines had 3 bases up we still had 1 with 1 building. Alien comm was noob didn't know how to get upgrades. He resigned, I took over, got regen, capped 3 more res nodes and we won the game 10 mins later.

I MUST BE THE BEST COMMM EVA!!!!!

Or, I have a slight clue of what to do, and just did that, and the aliens cruised to victory.

Sigh.