Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 229 is now live on Steam

Comments

• LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    early onoses, op onoses, double op onoses with op regen, bad performance preventing more the marine team to aim....... this game is so unbalanced i would even use HAX to balance it for marine side:

YESTERDAY:
    played 6 alien team, 1 marine team---- Aliens won 100% games

TODAY:
    played 8 marine team---- Marines lost 100% of the games (even one where the aliens were backed up to 1 hive and 1 harvester... they still frigging won)

FIX:
    nerf onos;
    nerf regen on onos;
    increase the goddamn game performance for once _0_
  • Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    No jet pack in the ready room :'(
  • dexdex Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24419Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    My anecdotal experience playing NS2-229 on 20/24 player servers (out of maybe 20 odd games) is that Marine win rate is plummeting. Either you win early by completely denying the alien 2nd hive altogether, or you lose. There were several occasions where the marine team (either me playing or opposing side) had solid map control (3 hive/6-7 res towers) and still lost due to an organized Onos/Gorge/Lerk push despite having at least 4 combined weapons/armor upgrades, jetpacks, and exo's.

I'm sure I am echoing many people's sentiments, but Onos in general needs to be looked at yet again, mainly the 6min Onos egg drop and Regen upgrade. Right now the game is simply not fun if the Alien Commander has any idea what he is doing.

Of the many "how to deal with Onos" threads and replies, it boils down to needing at multiple players (most of the times I've read, at least 3) to deal with one player. That is fundamentally flawed when one player on one team can lock down multiple players on the opposing team.
    <!--quoteo(post=2027121:date=Nov 17 2012, 07:28 PM:name=dex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dex @ Nov 17 2012, 07:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027121"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Of the many "how to deal with Onos" threads and replies, it boils down to needing at multiple players (most of the times I've read, at least 3) to deal with one player. That is fundamentally flawed when one player on one team can lock down multiple players on the opposing team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Totally, and an exo can be taken down by 1 player (even base skulk) and some ppl here even say it is overpowered.. loool
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    Please no. No more such a fail patch. Although i can't play it for now, as i read whole comments, it's so fail, unfortunately. I don't think all the complaints are coincidence. I still can imagine how wrong early onos, regen, crag would be. Please fix it. No 75tres onos fix is actually unacceptable. And the worst thing is that somebody saying that performance went worse!! That should never be happened. I see tremendously(?) decreased amount of cocurrent player. NS2 was played a week ago as many as Terraria, always more than Killing Floor. But there are less players online than Killing Floor.

I hope you fix it as soon as possible. According to what you've achieved so far, i believe you can, but it must be handled very soon, before more players leave to play this great game.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    lol hyperbole.

these stories "when i played today aliens won >90% of games" are a learn2play issue.

the only problem i've noticed since the patch is that sandbaggers have started to stack the alien team even more because they're cheap and want an easy win - achievable due to the fact that the rookie players almost always stack marine and therefore most of the good marine players leave the game out of frustration of their crappy team about 5 minutes in.

i still have a pretty easy time against equally skilled skulk players, and can hold my own against other lifeforms... biggest difference since the patch is the inability to kill anything when there's a crag nearby, so you have to empty all of your ammo to kill the crag... but i think i'll get used to that because it's better than reverting crag to a useless fluff building.

before whining about balance, please try to assess the player skill on each team... because it's quite obvious to me that when marine lose it's almost always because they were really bad players. how can you fix that without making them OP for good players? give marines an aimbot gun which automatically simulates pro player aim?
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    I think the route of most problems are the crags. Currently they turn a job that should take marines between 30 seconds to a minute into a job that takes 5 minutes. A job that would take 2 minutes and up is now impossible to accomplish.

1. Reduce healing, perhaps even halve it.
    2. Crags being attacked should be unable to passively heal, only actively heal.
  • BigImpBigImp Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75036Members, NS2 Playtester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Suggestions for balance:
    - Change requirement for onos tres egg to 3 hives, and 80 tres
    - Change requirement for exosuit to 3 command stations (or alternatively, nerf single-gun exo armor a bit and that can require 2 stations, and increase double-gun exo armor and make it require 3 stations, and cost 80 res)
    - Increase fade health and/or armor by 10%
    - Increase grenade launcher pres cost to 30
    - It should take 4-6 seconds out of combat for regen to kick in (I like the rate of regen)

The downside is there would be less onii and exos in the game in general, and far, far less onos vs exo battles, so maybe that would take a bit from the 'fun' aspect, but I think it would add a lot more variety to strategies and balance, and to separate the game's tech tiers a bit more.

Keep up the awesome work UW!
    <!--quoteo(post=2027197:date=Nov 17 2012, 08:58 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 17 2012, 08:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027197"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol hyperbole.

these stories "when i played today aliens won >90% of games" are a learn2play issue.

the only problem i've noticed since the patch is that sandbaggers have started to stack the alien team even more because they're cheap and want an easy win - achievable due to the fact that the rookie players almost always stack marine and therefore most of the good marine players leave the game out of frustration of their crappy team about 5 minutes in.

i still have a pretty easy time against equally skilled skulk players, and can hold my own against other lifeforms... biggest difference since the patch is the inability to kill anything when there's a crag nearby, so you have to empty all of your ammo to kill the crag... but i think i'll get used to that because it's better than reverting crag to a useless fluff building.

before whining about balance, please try to assess the player skill on each team... because it's quite obvious to me that when marine lose it's almost always because they were really bad players. how can you fix that without making them OP for good players? give marines an aimbot gun which automatically simulates pro player aim?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, says the pro..... do you think this is just a noob stacking issue? i only saw around 1 or 2 rookies these days... marine commanders did well, we had some pretty good aimers, we had all the map control, and when onos kicks in with regen..... they get the godmode in.
  • weeschweeweeschwee Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75031Members
    I actually really liked the feel of build 228. It was harder for aliens to win, but with a skilled team it was very possible. All it really took was some decent communication. Now, I've played games, as aliens, where we were doing terrible, but still won in the end. It just feels like late game always leans towards the aliens. It must be due to Onos and regen I suppose. The flow of the game seems incredibly wrong. I'm not sure how it can be fixed, but I hope UWE is working on it quickly. 228, while not perfect, felt very good and competent. I think 229 was a creative attempt, but missed the mark. NS2 is still fun, but I anxiously wait for the next patch.
  • SayHiToYourMomSayHiToYourMom Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166155Members
    The apologists who are defending the game for what it is post patch 229 are doing INCREDIBLE harm to the game community.

I don't think that I am the best commander in the world, but I didn't suffer a head injury recently, so my performance as a commander should be SIMILAR to 228 and 299. It's not though, I have yet to win a match on 229 when I would say I won 75-85% of my matches on 228.

That I have to resort to building walls out of buildings to try and give my team a CHANCE to kill an Onos is ridiculous. The 6 minute onos combined with regen makes the game unplayable as marines. I have had teams that do everything I tell them to, but when an Onos with a gorge behind it can take out a satellite chair in 2 minutes, its very discouraging.

That people are on here saying that this is fine and people need to learn to play makes me want to dissuade people from buying the game (And I have so far convinced 8 people to buy the game in 2 weeks) because if the community is going to be a bunch of ######s who refuse to hold the developers accountable for making one side OP, what's the point of telling people to buy a game I don't want to play any more - and with apologists defending the status quo - that I feel is less likely to be patched quickly.
  • spaztazcularspaztazcular Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171595Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2027483:date=Nov 17 2012, 07:34 PM:name=SayHiToYourMom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SayHiToYourMom @ Nov 17 2012, 07:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027483"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The apologists who are defending the game for what it is post patch 229 are doing INCREDIBLE harm to the game community.

I don't think that I am the best commander in the world, but I didn't suffer a head injury recently, so my performance as a commander should be SIMILAR to 228 and 299. It's not though, I have yet to win a match on 229 when I would say I won 75-85% of my matches on 228.

That I have to resort to building walls out of buildings to try and give my team a CHANCE to kill an Onos is ridiculous. The 6 minute onos combined with regen makes the game unplayable as marines. I have had teams that do everything I tell them to, but when an Onos with a gorge behind it can take out a satellite chair in 2 minutes, its very discouraging.

That people are on here saying that this is fine and people need to learn to play makes me want to dissuade people from buying the game (And I have so far convinced 8 people to buy the game in 2 weeks) because if the community is going to be a bunch of ######s who refuse to hold the developers accountable for making one side OP, what's the point of telling people to buy a game I don't want to play any more - and with apologists defending the status quo - that I feel is less likely to be patched quickly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually if you notice most of the people defending where in the very first days of the patch before it was known how OP regen was on an Onos. They where also namely discussing crags as well not the regan on the Onos. I didn't think it was bad myself until I used regan on an Onos yesterday. I think most people have decided that its OP at this point.

I think the regan should be nerfed a little (or maybe just nerf it for the Onos right now) and maybe they should play around with the Onos costing more. Of course I thought the Onos should cost more before patch 229 though.

Hopefully we'll get some feedback from Unknown Worlds here soon.

Hate to see this go the way that Starcraft 2 balance gets done.
  • Cyber_MageCyber_Mage Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172189Members
    I'm in the "this game suddenly is unbalanced" camp on this one. Out of the 20+ games I've played since the patch, only three times did Marines win.

In worst case scenarios, skulks can overpower marines every time they try to leave base. The best case lose for marines is they get one or two res nodes capped with extractors, and can't hold both of them at the same time, much less a hive location.

As a skulk I noticed that I die a LOT less since the patch. At first I just thought I was getting better ;-) but really I don't think so anymore.

I'm not inclined to play anything but the combat mod anymore because you know how 90% of the games are going to turn out.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Alien winrate is down to 54% now according to NS2Stats. IIRC it was closer to 65% in the days after the patch. Anecdotally, I have noticed more marine wins recently. As a theory, maybe the results were previously skewed by experienced players(the ones most likely to know about the secret balance changes) stacking Alien to try them out?
    <!--quoteo(post=2027561:date=Nov 17 2012, 08:36 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 17 2012, 08:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027561"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alien winrate is down to 54% now according to NS2Stats. IIRC it was closer to 65% in the days after the patch. Anecdotally, I have noticed more marine wins recently. As a theory, maybe the results were previously skewed by experienced players(the ones most likely to know about the secret balance changes) stacking Alien to try them out?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

58-41.

Where are YOU looking?
  • dexdex Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24419Members, Constellation
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2027247:date=Nov 17 2012, 02:17 PM:name=BigImp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigImp @ Nov 17 2012, 02:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027247"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Suggestions for balance:
    - Change requirement for onos tres egg to 3 hives, and 80 tres
    - Change requirement for exosuit to 3 command stations (or alternatively, nerf single-gun exo armor a bit and that can require 2 stations, and increase double-gun exo armor and make it require 3 stations, and cost 80 res)
    - Increase fade health and/or armor by 10%
    - Increase grenade launcher pres cost to 30
    - It should take 4-6 seconds out of combat for regen to kick in (I like the rate of regen)

The downside is there would be less onii and exos in the game in general, and far, far less onos vs exo battles, so maybe that would take a bit from the 'fun' aspect, but I think it would add a lot more variety to strategies and balance, and to separate the game's tech tiers a bit more.

Keep up the awesome work UW!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The main issue is that for Tres Onos, 3 hives is exponentially harder to hold than 2. I do not think moving Tres Onos to 3 hives is good for late game. Balance needs to be made so that Alien Comm rushing 2 Hive/3 Res Tres Onos should be about as fast as a Marine Comm rushing 2 Hive/3 Res dual-gun Exo (assuming the ability to drop a dual-gun Exo).

As for single-gun Exo, I think they are rather underpowered. Their overall damage output is on par with LMG Marines. They cannot build, repair, and are hampered by their innate immobility (movement speed and phase). They would be infinitely more useful if they replaced that punching arm with a welder. Exo's in general would be far more useful if they could phase. Perhaps a 15 Tres upgrade to <b>each</b> Phase Gate that allows Exo's through?
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2027569:date=Nov 17 2012, 11:43 PM:name=SayHiToYourMom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SayHiToYourMom @ Nov 17 2012, 11:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->58-41.

Where are YOU looking?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://ns2stats.org/" target="_blank">http://ns2stats.org/</a> , you?
    <!--quoteo(post=2027577:date=Nov 17 2012, 09:02 PM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 17 2012, 09:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://ns2stats.org/" target="_blank">http://ns2stats.org/</a> , you?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just checked, still 58-41

That doesn't approach balance.
  • FappuchinoFappuchino Join Date: 2012-10-10 Member: 162008Members
    I think the greater concern is how the Onos drops are hurting the longevity of the game. There's a lack of go-to strategies, especially on the alien side.
  • Ness_FrogKingNess_FrogKing Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162628Members
    Zek, you need to click the "More Filters" button and uncheck 228. You're seeing 228/229 combined.
    <!--quoteo(post=2027642:date=Nov 17 2012, 10:42 PM:name=Ness_FrogKing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ness_FrogKing @ Nov 17 2012, 10:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027642"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Zek, you need to click the "More Filters" button and uncheck 228. You're seeing 228/229 combined.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

229 Competitive is 70/30 Aliens/Marines

Where are the apologists now? ESPECIALLY because the aholes who were telling people to "get better" were complaining about playing with "pubbies"

It looks like when you have EVERYONE who knows what they are doing that it's not even close.
  • AFireInAsaAFireInAsa Join Date: 2012-09-20 Member: 160156Members
    edited November 2012
    I like the new regeneration mechanics, but the rate of health/sec could be nerfed a bit. I like how fast it kicks in, personally. Makes it more fun to play Aliens.

I think the camo buff is kind of silly. Maybe you need to decrease scan costs?

My own opinion on what to fix next in terms of balance:

1. Change the early game Onos somehow. Make them take longer to come out. Increase their res cost to 80 or so.
    2. Buff fades a bit.
    3. Give jetpacks a small nerf (15 res and tweak from there? maybe slow down their initial thrust).
  • WonderWafflesWonderWaffles Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166137Members
    I think that you should be 75-90% invisible with lights on and 95-100% with lights out. This way, power node is more of a target for both Marines & Aliens
  • HaroldcooperHaroldcooper Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172082Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2027744:date=Nov 18 2012, 02:19 AM:name=WonderWaffles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WonderWaffles @ Nov 18 2012, 02:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2027744"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><u>I think that you should be 75-90% invisible with <a href="http://www.niceledlights.com" target="_blank"><!--coloro:#FFFFFF--><span style="color:#FFFFFF"><!--/coloro-->nice led lights<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></a> on and 95-100% with lights out. This way, power node is more of a target for both Marines & Aliens</u><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can you explain bit deep about lights effects
  • Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I got too many "freeze" with this new build, it happens at least 3 or 4 times each days. Game run perfect, and suddenly screen frozen.
    Previous build was better.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Put 2 hive onos on 2 mature hives instead of just 2 hives, increase hive maturation time singificantly. What you have then is onos coming out 2 - 3 minutes later, enough time for marines to have a much better fighting chance against it. All this time a simple solution like this has been in reach for UWE, maturation is a great mechanic to address timing issues like the onos one, so why not use it?
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    edited November 2012
    A few more experiences I've had regarding regen:

As marines we had level 3 weapon & armor. Game was ending naturally since the alien team had 2 onos + 1 gorge healing and we only had 3 dual minigun exos with 2 welders ..we took down 1 onos with 3 exos and 2 marines. I don't know about the other exos but I was hammering the one onos with perfect aim the entire time while he killed the other 2 exos and when I asked him after the fight he said his health never got down below 1000 hp. Awesome. So I die and decide to buy a jetpack & shotgun and go ninja the hive. I fly into the hive undetected and start blasting away. Pump all 8 rounds into it and to my surprise the hives health bar is already completely full before my guy even reloads the 2nd shell! I have the comm scan and the khammander has placed about 5 crags around the hive. So a fully upgraded marine cannot even damage a hive now if you place some crags? That seems a bit much.

As aliens I had a lot of fun again, this time I got the early onos egg and with regen only (no stomp or celerity etc) I single handedly took out the 2 marine bases and killed every player on their team about 5 times in the process. My K:D ratio was something like 60 : 3. And keep in mind, I am at best a mediocre player with a sub-par computer so my framerate gets low during fights. So please do not defend this regen buff any longer .. its ridiculous and anyone who defends it clearly has no clue what they are talking about.

Furthermore, as someone else mentioned, the exo guns are a bit weak. The single exo suit is not worth the 50 res at all, anyone that knows what they are doing waits for the 75 to buy a dual.
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    So far I don't mind this build too much, when it comes to skilled players there are some pretty good matches. In pubs the aliens win most of the time though. I think regen is where it needs to be. But it's actually comparable to carapace now, like I actually will pick it over carapace depending on what I'm doing.

Flamethrowers actually have a much better use now, I see them as being almost a counter to onos now, combined with the energy drain an onos can't attack or charge away once we charges in and that usually results in death.
  • Blake IceBlake Ice Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172262Members
    You guys have completely destroyed gameplay with the last patch. In comms, nothing but complaining about unkillable Lerks, 5 minute Onos , and marines completely not being able to expand. Why have you guys not rolled this patch back? Cook it a little more and try again.
  • InfiniteLoserInfiniteLoser Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172264Members
    Yeaaaah... is anyone else seeing the 74% to 26% Alien/Marine win stat? I've noticed in pubs with new people its more like 90% alien to 10% marine and that's if marines make no mistakes. I think we all know a patch is coming to fix this, but this game leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I remember how aliens were generally OP in NS1 and then a patch would come out to make marines weaker. I don't want to play anymore until balance issues have been addressed. I really dont think build 229 was necessary. And I also noticed that aliens won more than 50% before build 229 so why were they made MORE OP ??? I just don't get it. Please FIX...........