Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 229 is now live on Steam

14567810»

Comments

• dexdex Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24419Members, Constellation
    The Alien buffs would all make sense if HMG was available next patch.

Unfortunately, I do not see this happening.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2029109:date=Nov 19 2012, 11:54 AM:name=Dullahan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dullahan @ Nov 19 2012, 11:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029109"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As I understand it, the primary issue with regeneration right now is solo with the Onos. This seems to be because of the % based regeneration effect, which causes it to heal large amounts of hitpoints on the Onos very quickly.

As a player I discovered this myself when playing Onos last night because I was able to retreat from an attack and regenerate all my health in less than 10 seconds completely independently of gorge or crag support. (This had good synergy with Camouflage, since if anyone pursued me I could cloak while regenerating and surprise them for an easy kill)

It allows an independent Onos to be far too effective in its current state, but I haven't really experienced regeneration being similarly overpowered on any of the other aliens. (Although I can see how it might be really effective on hit and run Fade's as well)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    it's a bug

once out-of-combat Regeneration kicks in, it doesn't stop until you're full
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2029181:date=Nov 19 2012, 04:54 PM:name=Gliss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gliss @ Nov 19 2012, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029181"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it's a bug

once out-of-combat Regeneration kicks in, it doesn't stop until you're full<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I thought it just regenerated in combat. That explains why fades can take 750 damage but when I try it I can still get 2-shot.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Today my commander researched regeneration before carapace, and since I was a lerk, I thought eh, what the hell, and took it. I was expecting to just kill everything and never come close to death, judging by the forums. Haha was I wrong. Oh wow, it kicks in after 2 seconds... but it regenerates like 20 health a second. Wow. Amazing. Anybody who is complaining about the new regen on skulks and lerks are clearly suffering because regeneration counters people who cannots deal sustained damage.

As for Onos regen, it may pose a problem. Maybe instead of a straight percentage of regeneration once 2 seconds has passed, the regeneration should ramp up by a set amount. So a skulk, lerk, fade and even an onos would have their regeneration accelerate by a set amount X over time, but each life form would have their maximum regeneration rate limited to a percentage of total health.

This would allow smaller life forms like skulk and lerk to potentially put regeneration to good use mid combat, as the ramp up time would be relatively short. While an onos or fade would need to avoid damage for a bit of time before reaching a substantial regeneration rate.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2029181:date=Nov 19 2012, 04:54 PM:name=Gliss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gliss @ Nov 19 2012, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029181"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it's a bug

once out-of-combat Regeneration kicks in, it doesn't stop until you're full<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've never seen this happen.
  • NeoRussiaNeoRussia Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154743Members
    edited November 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2029286:date=Nov 19 2012, 06:29 PM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Nov 19 2012, 06:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029286"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Today my commander researched regeneration before carapace, and since I was a lerk, I thought eh, what the hell, and took it. I was expecting to just kill everything and never come close to death, judging by the forums. Haha was I wrong. Oh wow, it kicks in after 2 seconds... but it regenerates like 20 health a second. Wow. Amazing. Anybody who is complaining about the new regen on skulks and lerks are clearly suffering because regeneration counters people who cannots deal sustained damage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

20hp a second is a lot. That's about the same as a rifle bullet from an upgraded rifle. Considering reload takes 3 seconds, that's another 60hp. This is mainly devastating to rifles, but like I said a fade can take more damage with the shotgun while regenerating than he can with cara sometimes. Especially if he breaks the marine's line of sight, in that case he might as well be at full hp again. It's like the alien has his own equivalence of medpack spam.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2029329:date=Nov 19 2012, 06:21 PM:name=NeoRussia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoRussia @ Nov 19 2012, 06:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029329"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->20hp a second is a lot. That's about the same as a rifle bullet from an upgraded rifle. Considering reload takes 3 seconds, that's another 60hp. This is mainly devastating to rifles, but like I said a fade can take more damage with the shotgun while regenerating than he can with cara sometimes. Especially if he breaks the marine's line of sight, in that case he might as well be at full hp again. It's like the alien has his own equivalence of medpack spam.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly.. or more accurately, a medpack spam PLUS a MAC following you around.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited November 2012
    that full regen in combat is surely a bug and i'm guessing it will be fixed...

it is my understanding that in 229 regen was changed, to give a 'reduced' amount of regen healing while in combat (obviously to make it a more viable alternative to carapace). but if you go out of combat to trigger full regen and then go back into combat you still have a continuation of the full 'out of combat' heal amount. seems totally bugged to me... and against onos/fade/lerks with this it surely can't be intentional.

it was kinda funny last night i was combat healing an onos with my gorge, but my spray spam was healing him like 1% per second - his own regen IN COMBAT seemed to be healing about 10% per second. i began asking myself wtf was the point in me healing him.

edit: this regen issue was mentioned in the first ~20 min or so of the nexzil 'learn to play' vod, in the part where there's commentary of bitey playing lerk on pub.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2029415:date=Nov 19 2012, 09:13 PM:name=tarquinbb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tarquinbb @ Nov 19 2012, 09:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2029415"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->that full regen in combat is surely a bug and i'm guessing it will be fixed...

it is my understanding that in 229 regen was changed, to give a 'reduced' amount of regen healing while in combat (obviously to make it a more viable alternative to carapace). but if you go out of combat to trigger full regen and then go back into combat you still have a continuation of the full 'out of combat' heal amount. seems totally bugged to me... and against onos/fade/lerks with this it surely can't be intentional.

it was kinda funny last night i was combat healing an onos with my gorge, but my spray spam was healing him like 1% per second - his own regen IN COMBAT seemed to be healing about 10% per second. i began asking myself wtf was the point in me healing him.

edit: this regen issue was mentioned in the first ~20 min or so of the nexzil teach when there's commentary of bitey playing lerk on pub.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Have you guys actually seen it happen yourself? I tested it and as soon as you take damage your regeneration drops to 20%.