Look what I found!

Comments

• Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1949412:date=Jul 6 2012, 11:17 AM:name=xDragon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xDragon @ Jul 6 2012, 11:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I may take steps soon to create a more permenant/open location and path forward for this mod, and a solution that allows for more people to contribute to it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Have you asked Flayra if he would mind pulling an ID software and open-source some of the major version of NS?(3.2 is most important, 2.0 and 1.0x could also be of interest, if only for satisfying curiousity)

Some behaviour, constants etc is just a lot easier to read from code than it is to reverse-engineer.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1949598:date=Jul 7 2012, 09:08 AM:name=Soylent_green)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soylent_green @ Jul 7 2012, 09:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949598"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have you asked Flayra if he would mind pulling an ID software and open-source some of the major version of NS?(3.2 is most important, 2.0 and 1.0x could also be of interest, if only for satisfying curiousity)

Some behaviour, constants etc is just a lot easier to read from code than it is to reverse-engineer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, I'm sure they would do that, but there's one problem:

They lost the NS1 source code. That's why they had to try all the variables in-game (how much damage weapons did, movement speeds etc)

It's sad, but that's how it is.
  • tux77tux77 Join Date: 2012-05-20 Member: 152340Members
    i can paid if this mod come out, continue like this man your on the great way it will be formidable if this mod come out !!! i will only play on it i think ;).... ns1 was and stay the best game ever.

NICE JOB!
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    So, this still in the works?
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Man I would be so excited to play this :)
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    There is work being done on this actively at this point, as for when it will be playable most of that currently depends on models and resolving some issues with whats available vs what is needed, and resolving UI and usability issues.

Generally speaking we wouldn't need any specifics from NS1 that we cannot figure out already pretty easily, and there is a balance.txt file which does contain many of the base balance vars... As for how those play in Spark however is another story.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1926862:date=Apr 18 2012, 11:35 PM:name=eh?)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eh? @ Apr 18 2012, 11:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926862"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The most pertinent changes one would notice would be:

Marines:
    -only tres, no pres of any sort
    -ns1 style commander that drops weapons and equipment
    -no initial ip
    -powernodes only power turrets
    -return of hmg
    -improved ns1ish jetpack
    -must kill all ips + last marine to win

Aliens:
    -only pres, no tres of any sort
    -No alien comm, gorges build all.
    -Vote for chamber on start / hive built
    -Upgrades free
    -Celerity and adrenaline tied to shift
    -Cara regen to crag
    -Silence Camo to shade
    -Shade provides scent of fear
    -Skulk loses less momentum while jumping
    -Lerk has traditional spore, that is not impossible to see through
    -Lerk has umbra, umbra does 1/3
    -Lerk has low range shotgun spike as substitute for bite
    -Fade has focus stab which can be used while moving as well as swipe
    -Fade has ns1 blink of sorts and still has shadowstep
    -Gorge has bile bomb, trajectory much better than previous ns2 incarnations of this
    -Onos has no knockdown abilities, more hp and armor however.
    -must kill all hives + aliens + eggs to win

This is ignoring all the other slight changes to dmg, resource collection and all that, which is as close to ns1 as can be made so far.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

YES YES YES YES YES !

Does this mod have a name yet? I can't wait to try it, I'd easily play this over NS2 vanilla, can't believe I said that, lol.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2012
    Will it also have unlocked CC relocation for marines? And will power nodes still affect room lightning?
    Also, would devour ever make a comeback for the onos?

So psyched aboutt his to be honest
  • [R8]DJBourgeoisie[R8]DJBourgeoisie Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62176Members
    Really looking forward to this, more so than NS2 at this point.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Currently you can build cc's anywhere, and power nodes are completely gone, they do not even show up in game anymore.
    I have been experimenting with devour which functionally works but is still buggy in implementation, but really isnt a focus as I am not sure if devour will return in this. Heres kinda a general overview ive been slowly typing up:

Aliens

Whip-
    Focus - Double damage to players, 150% increase in attack delay
    Bombard - Damage increase to structures
    Fury - Regain health/energy on kill

Crag-
    Regeneration - Regens HP always even in combat.
    Carapace - Base armor increase
    Redemption - Chance to teleport back to hive when low HP. Looking for ideas to make this less random/luck based.

Shift-
    Adrenaline - Works like NS1, with energy overall being changed to work like NS1
    Celerity - Base speed increase like NS1
    Redeployment - Allows aliens to teleport between shifts

Shade-
    Silence - When fully leveled provides full silence
    Aura - Provides vision on nearby marines
    Ghost - functionally done, may need additional improvements. Designed to reduce LOS and prevent the player from being revealed by structures.
    Also makes motion tracking not always pickup the player.

Skulk - bite/parasite/leap/xeno
    Base unit, good dps/fast movement/low health

Gorge - spit/healspray/non-dot bilebomb/web (probably not done for initial release)
    Builder unit, can outrun marines but generally not win in 1v1 combat.

Lerk - bite/ranged spore/ranged umbra/primal scream
    Support unit, deals aoe damage and damage reduction, high ms and good exploration

Fade - swipe/blink/metabolize/acid rocket
    Assault unit, accels at killing marines and groups of marines

Onos - gore/charge/devour (maybe? probably not)/non-knockdown stomp/smash
    Tank unit - effective at drawing fire and distrupting (abilities not set in stone, lifeform needs the most work)

Resource timings adjusted to give 1 resource to the team per rt every 4
    seconds. The resources gained are then split between the team. For aliens
    there is a slight scaling applied when below 4 or above 12 players on the team.
    Aliens now have a spawn queue for each active hive, which spawns an alien about every 8 seconds.
    Aliens can teleport between hives built hives, and to unbuilt hives that are under attack. Crags
    passive healing, the hives passive, and gorges healing have all been adjusted. Shift gives passive energy
    to nearby aliens, Shades cloak nearby aliens. Whips also maintain their base melee attack.
    Infestation as a visual and a requirement has been removed completely.
    Upgrades require 3 of the chamber to function fully.

Marines

Focus back on strengths on NS1 marines, removal of sprint, increase of base movement
    and general mobility. Weapons start with reduced ammo counts and armory does not
    repair armor. Weighting of all weapons has been adjusted to scale movement with firepower.
    Heavymachinegun has been re-added, along with Heavy Armor. Weapons have been adjusted to work
    more like their originals, both in damage and capabilities. Hand grenades and Motion tracking
    have been added, with Motion Tracking working only within proximity of a marine, and not
    over the entire map. Many adjustments to health of buildings and build times, and marine spawn times.
    Jetpack effectiveness is increased but also requires more to research. Heavy armor works like NS1. Sentry
    guns and arcs need to be built next to an active robotics factory (turretfactory). An upgraded factory is needed
    for arcs. They cannot move and must be built by marines. If the factory dies the turrets power down.
  • RobustPenguinRobustPenguin Join Date: 2012-08-17 Member: 155719Members
    Look like a modder can actually make wall jumping work
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thanks for the update Dragon, very excited.
    Why remove infestation? Removing cysts and the requirement for it to be present to build sure - I've always liked the visual of it around hives though.
    edited September 2012
    Yea it'd be cool if alien structures automatically created some infestation around them, I would concur it adds to the overall atmosphere. (Would be even cooler if you could have it automatically expand from alien structures for a big radius, i.e the entire hive room, harvester area, etc)

It'd also be cool if somehow room lightning could be effected by something, i.e if marine harvester gets destroyed it also puts out the lights in the room. But I'm guessing that's not the kind of stuff you'll be messing with for now.

Anyway, definitely looking forward to trying this, it'll be amazing to see the great NS 1 gameplay on a new engine.
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1980246:date=Sep 19 2012, 08:13 AM:name=Jekt)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jekt @ Sep 19 2012, 08:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1980246"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks for the update Dragon, very excited.
    Why remove infestation? Removing cysts and the requirement for it to be present to build sure - I've always liked the visual of it around hives though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I suggested keeping infestation as well. Apparently it has a pretty significant impact on performance which is partly why it was removed (besides the fact it wasnt in NS1) so Dragon may keep it out. As far as immersion goes I agree that even little infestation off of structures would look good and just make "sense".
    Yea each infestation patch is an entity, so 6 entities per cyst/patch starts to add up. Its not necessarily an issue with cpu load moreso an issue with network traffic/general delay, where phasegating into an area with infestation/power cycling has significant delay compared to without it.

I have nothing against the visual of infestation but atm implementing it in a way thats passive and more or less free in terms of perf isnt something i want to focus on.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    <!--coloro:#aadd00--><span style="color:#aadd00"><!--/coloro-->Well I'm glad to see this is alive again, NS2 gameplay just isn't right as it is and I find myself barely playing at this point. I'm looking forward to this though.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    Why "Silence" is with the Shade? Should be with Celerity and Adrenaline, would be more logic IMHO.

Glad to see that anyway, would be great to have the gameplay of NS1 with NS2 community and support.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Infestation as a visual and a requirement has been removed completely.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 Faith in humanity.
    I am leaving silence with the shade for now as that is more of a sensory upgrade IMO then a movement one, although i will admit that its close either way. I am not going for NS:Spark truly anymore, which is why the NS2c name has sort of stuck. Thats not to say at some point I dont hope to have two modes, where there is a NS:S mode which is NS1 recreated in NS2, that is not my initial focus. I will say however that sans devour and web everything is in place to have the second mode for NS:S created quite quickly.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    I want to play this.
    I might be interested in helping make content if you need any, message me if you are interested.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Redemption - Chance to teleport back to hive when low HP. Looking for ideas to make this less random/luck based.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Only thing I can think of is: Once the lifeform hits ~30%, it starts to fade, after 5-10 seconds it warps back to the hive. The timer stops when the lifeform stops taking damage for 2-3 seconds.

This can lead to two things: 1) Combat continues till either the alien gets warp back to hive and/or the marine dies. 2) The life form is running away as to not die, but the marine is smart enough to stop damaging the life form to interrupt the redemption to be able to finish it off.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Redeployment - Allows aliens to teleport between shifts<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't like this at all. You should give gorges the ability to place mini shift structures that let aliens jump between hives while prioritizing hives under attack.

I feel like you can combine silence and camouflage together to improve each, but silence alone is definitely better than camouflage alone.
    For anyone looking forward to this I just want to say I had the opportunity to try it out recently and it is <b>FANTASTIC</b>. Fans of NS1 should rejoice, even at a beta state the mod is nearly a 100% accurate recreation of NS1 and still maintains all the visual upgrades and all the other modernized enhancements NS2 brought to the game. The game feels exactly as I remember NS1, but even better with all the upgraded visuals and enhancements to basic game elements. It's the same, but different, and in the best way possible. Everything I tried to do that worked in NS1 I kept expecting not to function yet, and was blown away that it all did just as I remembered.

-Spit hive to allow mass teleport in to defend against incoming marine attack *check*
    -Stacking chambers and laming up strategic choke-points *check*
    -Lerk spore/bite/umbra/primal scream upgrades *check*
    -Turret factory/sieges *check*

I could go on and on, but just wanted to share my first impressions and reiterate that if you were a fan of NS1, rest assured this mod delivers and you should be excited for it. I will likely be putting together a more detailed preview as I feel this mod should get some much deserved exposure before release.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited September 2012
    yhay.
    I can see this becoming more popular than normal ns2 in the near future. :3
  • Onii-chanOnii-chan Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7164Members
    edited September 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Infestation as a visual and a requirement has been removed completely.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lame, just keep it as a visual thing around structures (like hydras look when they're off infestation).

Also make hives produce a ton of it so hive room actually look like NS1 hive rooms, minus the fact that they're permanently pre-infested.

Also, no devour please, it's a really bad mechanic.
  • weywey Cineastè Join Date: 2003-06-01 Member: 16910Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    very much looking forward to this, at least a glimmer of hope for this game. Keep us posted!
  • AnimeLOLAnimeLOL Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58275Members
    Hey Dragonx, I'm sure you've been looking into this already, but see <a href="http://code.google.com/p/sing-engine/source/browse/trunk/src_main/pm_shared/pm_shared.c?r=11#1401" target="_blank">http://code.google.com/p/sing-engine/sourc...red.c?r=11#1401</a> for the HL1 code for air movement. You'll want to replace the code in Skulk:ModifyVelocity (see dl.dropbox.com/u/53107776/ns2docs/210/src/natural+selection+2/ns2/lua/Skulk.lua/index.html#line-505). Good luck! I'd try to help out with coding directly, but NS2 barely runs on my computer. Thanks for giving serious players hope!
    If your curious, heres the current code i use to create the 'bunnyhopping' that is currently in the mod:

<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'> local moveLengthXZ = velocity:GetLengthXZ()
    local previousY = velocity.y
    local adjustedZ = false
    local accelerationangle = 0.86

if input.move.z ~= 0 then
    local redirectedVelocityZ = GetNormalizedVectorXZ(self:GetViewCoords().zAxis) * input.move.z
    redirectedVelocityZ.y = 0
    redirectedVelocityZ:Normalize()
    if input.move.z < 0 then
    redirectedVelocityZ = GetNormalizedVectorXZ(velocity)
    local xzVelocity = Vector(velocity)
    xzVelocity.y = 0
    VectorCopy(velocity - (xzVelocity * input.time * Player.kAirBrakeWeight), velocity)
    else
    accelerationangle = math.max(0, GetNormalizedVectorXZ(velocity):DotProduct(redirectedVelocityZ))
    accelerationangle = math.pow(accelerationangle, 2)
    redirectedVelocityZ = redirectedVelocityZ * input.time * Skulk.kAirZMoveWeight * accelerationangle * Player.kStrafeJumpAccel + GetNormalizedVectorXZ(velocity)
    redirectedVelocityZ:Scale(moveLengthXZ)
    redirectedVelocityZ.y = previousY
    adjustedZ = true
    VectorCopy(redirectedVelocityZ, velocity)
    end
    end
    if input.move.x ~= 0 then
    local redirectedVelocityX = GetNormalizedVectorXZ(self:GetViewCoords().xAxis) * input.move.x
    if adjustedZ then
    redirectedVelocityX = redirectedVelocityX * input.time * Skulk.kAirStrafeWeight * accelerationangle * Player.kStrafeJumpAccel + GetNormalizedVectorXZ(velocity)
    else
    redirectedVelocityX = redirectedVelocityX * input.time * Skulk.kAirStrafeWeight * 0.5 + GetNormalizedVectorXZ(velocity)
    end
    redirectedVelocityX:Normalize()
    redirectedVelocityX:Scale(moveLengthXZ)
    redirectedVelocityX.y = previousY
    VectorCopy(redirectedVelocityX, velocity)
    end
    self.lastspeedgain = accelerationangle</div>

Movement code like this is somewhat beyond what im very familiar with, so if you have any suggestions im open to them.