Look what I found!

ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited April 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">A few things you might recognize</div><center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8xl_iOOpAuU"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8xl_iOOpAuU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

Just a playtest of an upcoming mod by Dragon. Enjoy :)

Comments

• fenrir1179fenrir1179 Join Date: 2011-11-05 Member: 131263Members
    weerd up....
    sweet shii.. poop
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Doen't look like alien vision actually helps all that much. Which is a good thing.
  • nadylinadyli Join Date: 2007-11-01 Member: 62791Members, Squad Five Blue
    You found your own youtube channel? Other than that great job with that mod Dragon(?).
  • ÒŗăNģёÒŗăNģё Join Date: 2012-02-09 Member: 144437Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Why no leaping Scardy :P
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2012
    Awesome!
    Alien structures wouldn't need infestation? (I know the idea is to copy ns1 but it's actually one thing I feel they could keep for flavour/atmosphere, just have cysts free or whatever)
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1926692:date=Apr 18 2012, 06:05 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Apr 18 2012, 06:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926692"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Awesome!
    Alien structures wouldn't need infestation? (I know the idea is to copy ns1 but it's actually one thing I feel they could keep for flavour/atmosphere, just have cysts free or whatever)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was just noticing this too. Did they remove the need for infestation for alien structures to be built?
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    Infestation and Power nodes should be gone in the NS:Spark. It is not needed in the original =) Any head way on Bunny Hopping?

Mod looks great so far!
  • YbarraYbarra Join Date: 2012-03-29 Member: 149621Members, Squad Five Blue
    That's pretty neat.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Looks good. Do removing the infestation really improve server perf ?

Also, if you are serious about doing a NS:Spark you should go open, I'm sure a significant part of the community would be interested.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    It would be cool if you could straight up port the map with textures over to spark, ns1 with realtime lighting.

Of course, the remakers would be annoyed heh.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    edited April 2012
    The performance was surprisingly good without cysts; granted we only played test games with 5v5 at max. But even some of the movement changes are much more conducive to smoother gameplay at the moment. Most notably skulk movement and fade blink.

And marine movement is especially nice, if you know what I mean. ;P
  • fenrir1179fenrir1179 Join Date: 2011-11-05 Member: 131263Members
    looks alot more goodly funererer to play a gorge :)
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    You want NS1?
    Download it for free and play it.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1926796:date=Apr 18 2012, 01:18 PM:name=dePARA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dePARA @ Apr 18 2012, 01:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You want NS1?
    Download it for free and play it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I want a prettier NS1 for funsies. Problem?
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1926796:date=Apr 18 2012, 06:18 PM:name=dePARA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dePARA @ Apr 18 2012, 06:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You want NS1?
    NS1 is so old I am running into compatibility-issues with my graphics-drivers. A remake is warranted.
  • shivshiv Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71341Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1926796:date=Apr 18 2012, 11:18 AM:name=dePARA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dePARA @ Apr 18 2012, 11:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You want NS1?

Why do you have to be a hater?
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    it looks like a very early alpha test, hope to see more updates.

bring back NS chamber models for the gorge!
  • SecuritySecurity Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33133Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Looking very nice so far. Great work. :]
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    The video was tl:dw but could someone summarise where this at?
    edited April 2012
    The most pertinent changes one would notice would be:

Marines:
    -only tres, no pres of any sort
    -ns1 style commander that drops weapons and equipment
    -no initial ip
    -powernodes only power turrets
    -return of hmg
    -improved ns1ish jetpack
    -must kill all ips + last marine to win

Aliens:
    -only pres, no tres of any sort
    -No alien comm, gorges build all.
    -Vote for chamber on start / hive built
    -Upgrades free
    -Celerity and adrenaline tied to shift
    -Cara regen to crag
    -Silence Camo to shade
    -Shade provides scent of fear
    -Skulk loses less momentum while jumping
    -Lerk has traditional spore, that is not impossible to see through
    -Lerk has umbra, umbra does 1/3
    -Lerk has low range shotgun spike as substitute for bite
    -Fade has focus stab which can be used while moving as well as swipe
    -Fade has ns1 blink of sorts and still has shadowstep
    -Gorge has bile bomb, trajectory much better than previous ns2 incarnations of this
    -Onos has no knockdown abilities, more hp and armor however.
    -must kill all hives + aliens + eggs to win

This is ignoring all the other slight changes to dmg, resource collection and all that, which is as close to ns1 as can be made so far.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1926692:date=Apr 18 2012, 01:05 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Apr 18 2012, 01:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926692"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Awesome!
    Alien structures wouldn't need infestation? (I know the idea is to copy ns1 but it's actually one thing I feel they could keep for flavour/atmosphere, just have cysts free or whatever)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OR: structures spread infestation.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    This would be a brief overview of whats changed so far:

Aliens
    Each chamber is linked to a standard hive by a vote. You can vote for the chamber you want by pressing V and selecting the corresponding chamber. The required percentage is 50%. The upgrades for each chamber are shown below, along with any abilities they have. The alien res model is changed back to NS1 standards, with a fixed 2 res RFK.

Shift - Currently uses the Spur model
    Upgrade-Celerity - Increases speed.
    Upgrade-Adrenaline - Increases energy regen.
    Passive-Does not have one yet (Restores energy like NS1?)

Crag
    Upgrade-Carapace - Increases Armor.
    Upgrade-Regen - Regens HP Out of combat.
    Passive-Heals nearby structures/players.

Shade
    Upgrade-Cloaking - Hides alien from view.
    Upgrade-Silence - Alien is completely silent.
    Passive-Nearby units are shown on minimap/hivesite (Currently has noticeable delay to prevent server slowness issues)
    Passive-Structure is cloaked itself (only itself)

Skulk movement has been improved (IMO) in general. Since this is such a important issue, i am looking for any feedback regarding this. Leap should also be slightly improved, along with air control. Its also easier to maintain movement speed. Skulk also gets xenocide at hive 3.

Gorge now builds all alien structures again. The Crag, Shift, Shade, Harvester and Hive are under weapon 2, Hydra and Whip under weapon 3. Whip currently does not work. The Gorge also has bilebomb on hive 2 now. Also, bellyslide has been improved.

Lerk now uses energy to flap. Also, spikes have been changed into spike shotgun, spores are ranged, and the lerk has umbra at hive 2, which is also ranged.

Fade has been made always visible, and blink works more like NS1, where it adds momentum. ShadowStep still works as it used to, however it has a fixed cooldown at this point (A/D fade not very fun to fight). It may get removed. Swipe/Blink (shadowstep) are now the default weapons, with his swipe doing NS1 levels of damage. At Hive 2 the fade gets stab/blink, which essentially works like focus. At hive 3 the fade gets acid rocket.

Onos has had its HP reverted to NS1 levels, gore changed back to not knockdown and do decent damage for its energy. Stomp now only disables buildings, and smash has been improved to work better against buildings. Stomp is the Hive 2 ability.

Marines
    The marine tech tree has been changed back to NS1, with fixed 2 res RFK. PowerNodes now only control the lights, and turrets. All other structures continue to function correctly. The commander drops weapons with teamres, and personal res is gone. A double jump similar to NS1 has been added, which when your elevation increases by .5 meter you will not loose speed, allowing some movement back on marines. Rifle butt has been disabled, and secondary mode for pistol is disabled. Sprinting is also removed. A heavymachine gun has been added which is similar to NS1 standards, and is available once the advanced armory is complete. Jetpack movement has been adjusted to be more faced paced.

All the movement in game currently is open for feedback/suggestions, at this point

Some basic console commands have been added also, to allow for some better functionality/useability
    alltalk - will turn on/off voice communication between teams.
    friendlyfire - will enable/disable friendlyfire.
    tournamentmode - will enable/disable tournamentmode, which also enables friendlyfire by default. In Tournament mode, a player from each team needs to type the following command in console to set that their team is ready. Once both teams are ready the round restarts with the countdown.
    ready - sets that a team is ready (used only in tournament mode).
    unready - sets that a team is not ready (used only in tournament mode).
  • hamham Join Date: 2011-08-31 Member: 119370Members, Constellation
    "let's put new wheels on a car that can't go above thirty miles per hour"
  • PyromaniacPyromaniac Join Date: 2009-02-20 Member: 66498Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1926893:date=Apr 18 2012, 07:36 PM:name=hampton)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hampton @ Apr 18 2012, 07:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926893"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"let's put new wheels on a car that can't go above thirty miles per hour"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    except ns1 is more balanced than ns2 at this point and will be for at least the next year.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1926898:date=Apr 18 2012, 07:46 PM:name=Pyromaniac)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pyromaniac @ Apr 18 2012, 07:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926898"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->except ns1 is more balanced than ns2 at this point and will be for at least the next year.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

and sticking ns1's ruleset in ns2 doesn't end up the way you think it does
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think the one post was about FPS...

And NS1 ruleset in NS2 doesnt work, which i think it partly why you are seeing sweeping changes to NS2 alien play currently.

This is quite different.
  • ColeCole Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8392Members
    Theres a heavy demand for something executed like this, kudos. Personally, I'd hoped that you could simply develop different "game modes" within NS2, instead of this having to come out as a mod. Either way, I think it will be well received if it stays true to the NS1 gaming dynamics, and will probably make the oldschool competitive community happy.

With enough effort into something like this, it could easily be absorbed into the official release as a really easy map type or game mode option and not a whole different game. Looking forward to more updates!
    Atleast it's a 30 mph car all game instead of the slug ns2 becomes at only 7 minutes.

Think we played a 3v3 on turtle with massive hydra spam, all tech, crags everywhere and it still ran close to as good as early game.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1926906:date=Apr 18 2012, 05:01 PM:name=eh?)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eh? @ Apr 18 2012, 05:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1926906"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Think we played a 3v3 on turtle with massive hydra spam, all tech, crags everywhere and it still ran close to as good as early game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think this has more to do with the low playercount rather than less entities. I'd suspect a full 9v9 matchup in the NS2 classic mod would run about as poorly as 9v9 vanilla NS2 game.