Combat Mode Relaunch

Comments

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    onos seems to be the 'end game thing' in combat, once i go onos, multititudes of kills, and then moar upgrades. :3
  • uraganuragan Join Date: 2012-05-28 Member: 152677Members
    edited July 2012
    I have some improvements

FILE: combat_Values.lua
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->...
    Script.Load("Version.lua")

// Experience based values like avgXpAmount is still in ExperienceData

// Welcome Message that every player receives who joined our game
    combatWelcomeMessage = {"Welcome to this Server",
                            "It's running a special Combat Mod " .. kCombatLocalVersion,
                            "Score = XP and Resources = FreeLvl to use",
                            "For more informations type co_help in the chat or console"
                            }

...<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

+ Players will see the Version of the Mod, so join only updated servers

other BUGs/Fails:

- 1 Player can join and destroy Hive/CC
    - Hotkey "B" dont work (maybe build a menu with typing in chat /buymenu)
    - new Chat command "help" or "/help" should be linked with "co_help"
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    Thanks for the suggestions uragan!

I've added a couple of items to our development tracker for the welcome message and new chat command.

Unfortunately we can't do much about the first issue you raised about the cc/hive - the game will restart if another player joins anyway.
    The second issue, you can resolve by installing the client-side mod. See the first post on this thread for details...
    <!--quoteo(post=1952956:date=Jul 21 2012, 03:46 PM:name=uragan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (uragan @ Jul 21 2012, 03:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1952956"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have some improvements

FILE: combat_Values.lua
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->...
    Script.Load("Version.lua")

// Experience based values like avgXpAmount is still in ExperienceData

// Welcome Message that every player receives who joined our game
    combatWelcomeMessage = {"Welcome to this Server",
                            "It's running a special Combat Mod " .. kCombatLocalVersion,
                            "Score = XP and Resources = FreeLvl to use",
                            "For more informations type co_help in the chat or console"
                            }

...<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

+ Players will see the Version of the Mod, so join only updated servers

other BUGs/Fails:

- 1 Player can join and destroy Hive/CC
    - Hotkey "B" dont work (maybe build a menu with typing in chat /buymenu)
    - new Chat command "help" or "/help" should be linked with "co_help"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    edited July 2012
    I just noticed from the NS2 Twitter feed that IGN joined a Combat server expecting the vanilla functionality and did a walkthrough using it - because they haven't been following the modding thread it looks like they had no idea what was going on and it made NS2 look like it had no commander mode! I really wanted to try and avoid that scenario by including the welcome message and regular prompts (maybe we need an additional reminder every now and then that it's Combat Mode).

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wfIGIcyKtOo"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wfIGIcyKtOo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

I was thinking that to try and stop this happening in future I will add a disclaimer saying that this is a modified version of NS2 and does not reflect the full game functionality - maybe some additional helpful tooltips if a player doesn't spend his first upgrade for 30 seconds. Can anyone think of anything else we could be doing to alleviate this problem?
  • BroseidonBroseidon Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110935Members
    Lol ign messed up badly. well atleast they kinda showed of the moddability of ns2 though :) i guess you could ask the ones that run combat servers to ad "modded server" or something similar to the server name. Cause "combat server" doesn't apperently tell much to new players that it is a modded server. drastic change: you make the server private and add the password to this thread so that new players and rewievers doesn't get confused. But yeah ign messed up showing of ns2, the gameplay demos of vanilla was not that good either :/ i hope they make a new one and show of some rts gameplay to clarify.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited July 2012
    MCMLXXXIV maybe load a different loading screen? or maybe have a buy like menu screen pop up as soon as ur in the RR with only a OK button to remove it after the player have read what combat is about?
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1952992:date=Jul 21 2012, 11:44 PM:name=Jibrail)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jibrail @ Jul 21 2012, 11:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1952992"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->MCMLXXXIV maybe load a different loading screen? or maybe have a buy like menu screen pop up as soon as ur in the RR with only a OK button to remove it after the player have read what combat is about?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats a good idea.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    This was my favourite part <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfIGIcyKtOo&feature=player_detailpage#t=1416s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfIGIcyKtOo...ailpage#t=1416s</a>
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    The splash screen while loading sounds like a brilliantly simple solution.

Could have things like

Welcome to NS2 Combat
    A community made mod

Created by MCMLXXXIV & JimWest

As it's a slide show of sorts you could have some instructions on how to buy your upgrades on the 2nd slide.
    <!--quoteo(post=1953018:date=Jul 22 2012, 03:34 AM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Jul 22 2012, 03:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953018"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This was my favourite part <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfIGIcyKtOo&feature=player_detailpage#t=1416s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfIGIcyKtOo...ailpage#t=1416s</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ROFL "both these commanders aren't doing anything especially hot though"
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    That's not possible, we can only do server changes for players which don't have the client mod.
    We can't do a server sided gui or something special like this.
    But btw., we have a small welcome message when you join the combat server.

<!--quoteo(post=1953023:date=Jul 22 2012, 04:17 AM:name=WorthyRival)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WorthyRival @ Jul 22 2012, 04:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1953023"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The splash screen while loading sounds like a brilliantly simple solution.

Could have things like

Welcome to NS2 Combat
    A community made mod

Created by MCMLXXXIV & JimWest

As it's a slide show of sorts you could have some instructions on how to buy your upgrades on the 2nd slide.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Checked my email and found this in the tracker
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ink farting for aliens (like shades)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    hahaha love it, gonna be working on the sound today and I will be working on something else, hope you guys ( jim and MCMLXXXIV ) can go online today so I can show you and get feedback.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    I dont think adding new "funny" abilities is a good idea. Something usefull like focus that actually adds to the gameplay would be much better.
    im not sure how i feel about feign death, you FINALLY kill that fade he res's back and speeds off....-.-" Might aswell be reincarnation or respawning anyway.
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    It only sounds funny, but its a useful feature.
    When you ran into a group of rines you can trigger the ink that the rines are confused and you got the chance
    to escape or kill the rines.
    making fades more stronger? will it require tier 3?
    edited July 2012
    My games has been freezing after standing in the ready room after 5 or 10 mins. On Assault.

Also are there any plans on making the gorge able to build more stuff? i never played the gorge in ns1 combat so i dunno what he ever did, sounds pretty useless actually lol.
    they could pretty much build everything giving that they had the xp points for it, but I loved those servers that only gave him couple of offence chamber and one of each upgrade chambers, it made it more strategic in that he had to move his stuff around to support the team better.
    those servers allso had a limit on how many of each chamber you could have in one area, so multiple Gorges couldn't just spam one room with everything.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Gorges couldn't build anything in combat, only place webs, heal and use bilebomb. They didn't get used much.
    I suppose buildmenu and those other mods did it a favour there...
    <!--quoteo(post=1954617:date=Jul 28 2012, 12:21 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Jul 28 2012, 12:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954617"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorges couldn't build anything in combat, only place webs, heal and use bilebomb. They didn't get used much.
    I suppose buildmenu and those other mods did it a favour there...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah and it did it very well, same goes for marine being able to drop stuff and build it.
    I think we'll look at adding this in the next version.
    We're just tidying up v1.1, fixing client-side and server-side support with build 215 and getting ready to ship here.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1954518:date=Jul 28 2012, 12:35 PM:name=Codeine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codeine @ Jul 28 2012, 12:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1954518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My games has been freezing after standing in the ready room after 5 or 10 mins. On Assault.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm getting a lot of problem on combat at the moment too codine. Did the new patch break combat ?
    It looks like the new patch has indeed broken Combat. UWE have removed the Squads and we were including them in our custom tech-tree, and there are also a couple of breaking changes with the Alien GUI if you're using the client-side mod. So much for our 'light-touch' approach!

We'll have a fix out - Version 1.1 - in the next day or so, all being well...
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Ah thats good to hear, i was wondering what happened to all the combat servers.

When they're back can we expect to see custom maps or is the steam workshop not working?
    I think its still not working, but you can enjoy a combat style play on tram
    (I only worked out tram for testing).

There are some spawn combos where invis props in the map blocks players from reaching some areas.
    So its like a just small map.
    edited July 2012
    Yes, sadly there are a couple of bugs with Combat on build 215 so none of the existing servers work. Squads have now been removed from the game and we were including some of the vanilla NS2 squad code, in an attempt to remain compatible with vanilla clients, meaning NS2Combat v1.0 doesn't work with build 215.

JimWest and I are working on a new version that fixes all this and adds some new features. We're almost finished, maybe a day or two away. The only things missing from the build at the moment are catalyst packs, an effect for showing the areas that we 'blocked off' in ns2_tram and some stability enhancements. If you want to try out a preview of v1.1 on your server, you can download our latest source code here, but bear in mind we'll be doing another release in a couple of days:

<a href="https://github.com/AlexHayton/NS2Combat/zipball/master" target="_blank">https://github.com/AlexHayton/NS2Combat/zipball/master</a>
    edited August 2012
    Well, two bits of news. Based on my tests, we're pretty much ready to launch v1.1! The only outstanding bug is that the Silence upgrade still plays sounds from the silent player's viewpoint (but for other players, they really are silenced). Not sure if that's high priority enough to fix yet, under the circumstances. Also, I really want to rewrite the Alien and Marine buy menus so that they are less vulnerable to future changes by UWE, but for now they work well and will have to do.

I am wanting to wait until Combat v1.1 has been tested with at least a couple more players before we do a formal release (again you can follow the download link in the post above if you really want to try it). For now, I'll put this version on the SN server so that there's a playable version out there. I don't think either myself or JimWest can make the usual playtest times this week, but if anyone's interested in doing the usual gather thing let me know and I'll make an event on the Steam Group.

On top of my mobile broadband woes, which are preventing me from connecting to games outside of my LAN, I've also had a hard disk failure (probably it didn't like moving?) on my operating system drive so am back to my netbook again. I definitely won't be able to do any more work on the project until at least 8th August.

JimWest, over to you for release etc!
    Thanks for keep us regulars updated. Im eager to get back into the game and play some combat!
    edited August 2012
    OK Combat V 1.1 is now ready!
    I will do a final test and then upload the file here.

Changes:
    - Alien Vision cost now no energy again
    - reduced welder repair rate
    - watching a m8 doesn't give you xp anymore
    - always take the nearest techPoint (spawn points are now as near as possible)
    - /buy + alien buymenu supports now multiple upgrades (like gorge + cara)
    - added the version number to the welcome message
    - placed invis props (for now only at tram, but if its good to play we will add them on more maps)
    + small effect for props so you will know you can't walk through
    - time limit like in ns1 combat (for now 20 min, after that marines will lose)
    - some other bug fixes with 215

New Upgrades:
    - EMP-Taunt for marines
    - Catalyst for marines

- Ink-Taunt for aliens
    - Adrenalin for aliens (at least we have taken feint out of combat)

Edit: OK ###### I got some problems with the catalyst and can't fix them now (its to late ^^, 3 am in Germany), will fix them tomorrow and upload the files.
    edited August 2012
    Finally, here's the version.

For normal servers and players (server and client version):
    <a href="https://github.com/downloads/AlexHayton/NS2Combat/NS2Combat_v.1.1.zip" target="_blank">https://github.com/downloads/AlexHayton/NS2...ombat_v.1.1.zip</a>

For servers which are using Overmind:
    <a href="https://github.com/downloads/AlexHayton/NS2Combat/NS2Combat_v.1.1-GameOvermind.zip" target="_blank">https://github.com/downloads/AlexHayton/NS2...ameOvermind.zip</a>

I hope everything is working now.
    I had to disable the timelimit cause it's not getting resetted right after 1 round, will implement it in the next version.