Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 207 released

Comments

• internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    Lerk isn't fun to play right now. Just like every new game, they made it too good and then 'fixed' that by making it garbage.

Not cool!
  • HuzeHuze Insightful Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22724Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d_2rKq1F7c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d_2rKq1F7c</a> (Sorry I'm too lazy to get a screen recorder)

<strike>Anyone else seeing this glitch in spectator overhead mode? Parts of the map are turning black; it definitely wasn't happening before.</strike>

Fixed this.

add to Spectator.lua
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->function Spectator:GetIsOverhead()
        return Client and self.specMode == Spectator.kSpectatorMode.Overhead
    end<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    considering how long it takes to mature whips, crags, etc. is it still relevant for them to have their upgrades cost 10 res? if any at all?
    <!--quoteo(post=1932897:date=May 2 2012, 11:07 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ May 2 2012, 11:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932897"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->considering how long it takes to mature whips, crags, etc. is it still relevant for them to have their upgrades cost 10 res? if any at all?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Great, now I'm envisioning a future where nothing costs any res in this game because they kept listening to the community.
    Thanks a lot, pal!
  • Unknown_SoldierUnknown_Soldier Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6395Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932898:date=May 3 2012, 12:09 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ May 3 2012, 12:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932898"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Great, now I'm envisioning a future where nothing costs any res in this game because they kept listening to the community.
    Thanks a lot, pal!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you talking about the same community that wants everything in the game to cost res?

You just leaped, that will be 3 res. You just rifle-butted that Skulk, 2 res. If you want to enter the next area, pay 5 res.

It's funny because before 206 the "community" was backing free Hydras. 206 hits and a ton of people come out of the wood-works to bash it. 207 hits and now you have both sides clawing and scratching at each other.
  • Core DumpCore Dump Join Date: 2011-07-11 Member: 109768Members
    edited May 2012
    Too much negativity, these guys are working their asses off. This project is ambitious to say the least. Deal with it.

I do think gorge structures need to cost res, arcs become a necessity to go anywhere after awhile and it just seems a bad way to balance.
    <!--quoteo(post=1932902:date=May 2 2012, 11:19 PM:name=Core Dump)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Core Dump @ May 2 2012, 11:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932902"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Too much negativity, these guys are working their asses off. This project is ambitious to say the least. Deal with it.

I do think gorge structures need to cost res, arcs become a necessity to go anywhere after awhile and it just seems a bad way to balance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's ambitious in the wrong ways - I honestly can't name anyone who has made a good <i>anything </i>by continuously appealing to mindless consumers for the bulk of their ideas, instead of reflecting on what great designers they can be (and have been in the past).
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1932858:date=May 2 2012, 10:07 PM:name=TheIcarusKid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheIcarusKid @ May 2 2012, 10:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932858"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe the whole open beta was a big mistake then? A lot of this back and forth seems to be in response to player feedback on the forums, where they are chasing balance issues in the short term instead of working towards the finished product. If it weren't for us screaming all the time there would probably be exos by now, but instead they're trying to address the issues we bring up in the forums.

I guess we'll never really know which was the better option, but at least for me this has been a fascinating look into the inner workings of game development.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Forums are good to support the devs in some decision making however they should understand the game well enough to be able to make good mechanics and balance the game without their help. I would say that only 10-15% of any posts that are made have any useful information in them.
    Right now I feel like they don't even play their game at all and I wonder how much they played ns1. They keep making changes that move away from the base structure the game is made around, its making it very difficult for them to manage. There are also few ideas that they have taken from the forums but implemented them incorrectly.
    Good example of a change that was done incorrectly in this patch is the knockback on the ip's. The skulk should be pushed out of the circle if he standing on the ip with a very small knockback(and I mean very small). This would allow the skulk to camp the marines by standing next to the circle but he won't be able to block them anymore by standing inside.
    I feel like Charlie and his team will need some help if they want to make this game very successful. I can see the insane potential in the title but I feel like its being wasted right now. The game will sell but probably won't be the major hit it deserves to be. (But who am I to say such a thing, I'm such a random gamer. This is however my opinion right now and I only say it because I truly believe it will end that way judging from last 9 patches).
    I think its time for one of them(maybe Hugh should be the one) should study both games mechanics and start understanding what brings it all together. To do this he would have to learn everything about the competitive play from both games and how ns1 public play worked. This would allow the devs to have someone on the inside who would understand the game and be able to give valuable feedback, removing the need of outside help.
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932889:date=May 2 2012, 08:54 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ May 2 2012, 08:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932889"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if you up the melee damage whips make for actually some good rush support when on close spawns. cyst into their base and micro some whips around to catch marines while skulks are attacking. but it takes too long to get mature whips for this to work anymore.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Whips wont take forever to get mature (as much as a hive), it will be changed, takes like 7 mists instead of 17.5 (not in this build though, check the <a href="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Avf52Av12Mk3dG44U1gtbkFXbEFrREJWdm00Rlg0SWc" target="_blank">growing structure sheets</a> for upcoming changes). not 17.5, and good luck even doing a whip rush as it is almost impossible because cysts get instant destroyed by sentrys/arcs. I can only usually whip rush if the enemy team commander is bad.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932905:date=May 2 2012, 07:22 PM:name=Grissi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Grissi @ May 2 2012, 07:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932905"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the knockback on the ip's. The skulk should be pushed out of the circle if he standing on the ip with a very small knockback(and I mean very small). This would allow the skulk to camp the marines by standing next to the circle but he won't be able to block them anymore by standing inside.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is how this works, currently? it is VERY small, as if you hold forward while being knocked back it takes less than a second to be back to biting the marine, who, by the way, still cant react in time to stop that first bite. (there are exceptions, ofc but this is what i personally noticed so far in testing.)

Also, the skulk never "blocked them by standing inside" for IPs? Just PGs, and like i said above this is how it works currently in this build?

edit: @internetexplorer, yes. its always a good idea when your project is a "work in progress".. when would you suggest implementing it? It was mostly implemented for PGs (meatgrinders) but has its application on IPs too considering you can 2 bite a marine before he is able to see his world? And once again, engine programmers do different tasks from game programmers. (in reference to what i'm assuming is a performance complaint?)
    edited May 2012
    Just lost a game at like the 1 hour mark to an ARC train, after full tech marines couldn't win any other way. Changing the cost of ARCs doesn't solve the practical problems with them. Anyone who plays this game knows that.

JUST SAYIN'

<!--quoteo(post=1932910:date=May 2 2012, 11:31 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ May 2 2012, 11:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932910"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is how this works, currently? it is VERY small, as if you hold forward while being knocked back it takes less than a second to be back to biting the marine, who, by the way, still cant react in time to stop that first bite. (there are exceptions, ofc but this is what i personally noticed so far in testing.)

Also, the skulk never "blocked them by standing inside" for IPs? Just PGs, and like i said above this is how it works currently in this build?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

do you guys honestly think it's a good idea right now to create an entirely new mechanic like this, that affects the very basics of the game, and then spend time arguing over how to make it work? we can't reliably 1v1 skulks yet and we're worried about fixing spawncamping?
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Just a note, if we're keeping the hard limit + no replace old building for Gorge, please increase the Digest (+use) range to build range. Whether the visual effect is dissolving the structure or just killing it, it would be better than the current short range (actually discourages Hydra wall-placement).
  • Unknown_SoldierUnknown_Soldier Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6395Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932936:date=May 3 2012, 01:27 AM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ May 3 2012, 01:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932936"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just a note, if we're keeping the hard limit + no replace old building for Gorge, please increase the Digest (+use) range to build range. Whether the visual effect is dissolving the structure or just killing it, it would be better than the current short range (actually discourages Hydra wall-placement).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^

As I pointed out earlier, there are many times a Gorge can't actually reach a building they've built to recycle it.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    sounds good, but looking forward to more performance tweaks

once the game is responsive and has a consistant frame rate its going to be a hit! :)

transparency would be nice if I can be picky :)
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    Best part of the video in the news post: today I learned the plural of Onos that the devs use, Oni
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Join Date: 2011-08-28 Member: 118911Members
    I think this build is a nice one.

When playing as the aliens, I almost exclusively go Lerk. One of the nice tweaks was lowering the AOE of the bile bomb. Much needed! I think everyone would agree it was way to much.

I also like that the lerk can temporarily shut down turrets with the spores. I played a game where I was able to lock down 3 turrets down as are Onos were able to charge in and take out the power. Felt very nice.

I guess marine armor was slightly buffed? Good.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    <!--coloro:#aadd00--><span style="color:#aadd00"><!--/coloro-->I have to agree, the +use distance is pretty short for recycling gorge structures currently, and I certainly miss the gorge structure numbers increasing based on hive number, too few clogs to do anything too useful besides blocking a door maybe. I like to make layered walls to block LOS but allow passage and this stopped being possible.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    nerfing bilebomb means aliens have no endgame anymore. game over man, game over. what the ###### are we gonna do now?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whips wont take forever to get mature (as much as a hive), it will be changed, takes like 7 mists instead of 17.5 (not in this build though, check the growing structure sheets for upcoming changes). not 17.5, and good luck even doing a whip rush as it is almost impossible because cysts get instant destroyed by sentrys/arcs. I can only usually whip rush if the enemy team commander is bad.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

before, you could get mature whips about 1 minute into the game with catalyzing. then you could cyst into their base and set up the whips as skulks were rushing. it was actually kind of rewarding if you could micro the whips right.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    edited May 2012
    Murder holes gone? ;( Good to see efforts for reduced ARC's. It's in the right direction. I wonder if sentry confusion can help end those (probably) lost games for Marines that drags on, or if it just forces the Marine players to stay in base even more to deal with Lerks.
  • GsemiaGsemia Join Date: 2011-01-28 Member: 79297Members
    Why is NS2 using ASCII ? Why not UTF8 ? This could potentially eliminate many problems in the future with translations.
  • BlakkCooperBlakkCooper Join Date: 2007-11-24 Member: 63009Members
    Good news everyone: since the update the game doesn't work anymore.

I click on "PLAY" in the library, then "Play Natural Selection 2" and then "Play" again and then: nothing. Not even the process NS2.exe is running. Restarted steam. Still doesn't work.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Changes look good overall - especially lerk bile bomb radius.

Not sure why gorge structures are now limited to the earlier base number.

3 hydras and a small group of clog globs are utterly useless once marines upgrade weapons. And if I have to run around the map for a few minutes to delete old hydras - if I can even reach them! - then playing gorge is back to where it was before...pretty useless.

Please 'unnerf' those nerfs a little for the next build. Gorges need their structure limit to increase to remain relevant as a match develops. They have no other way to keep up with the rest of the players on both sides who do get good upgrades.

The previous system where old hydras would instantly die when you passed the limit was perfect and smooth. I don't see any reason why that should have been changed. That ability was the only way for gorges to defend an area usefully.

More people than ever seemed to be playing gorge because it was finally quite fun!
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1932993:date=May 3 2012, 10:35 AM:name=BlakkCooper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BlakkCooper @ May 3 2012, 10:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932993"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Good news everyone: since the update the game doesn't work anymore.

I click on "PLAY" in the library, then "Play Natural Selection 2" and then "Play" again and then: nothing. Not even the process NS2.exe is running. Restarted steam. Still doesn't work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Verify your NS2 steam cache. If that doesnt work, delete ns2 and re-download.
  • WirlWindWirlWind Join Date: 2012-04-26 Member: 151083Members
    Hate what you did to gorges to the point where I don't even have the will to log in and play another match.

Simple fix - Nerf hydra's down a little, make them cost 5 Pres. Comm gets an upgrade that's, say, 10Tres and allows gorges to upgrade their weak hydra's into slightly better ones (slight hp buff for endgame?) for an additional 5 Pres. Remove the vanishing of them when you go to another class and everything's good.

Then hydra's basically become the equivalent of sentries (though less dmg), people feel like they're doing something useful as a gorge and you don't just end up feeling like you're essentially a welder with legs.

And clogs seriously need the ability to allow friendly units to pass through the walls, kinda like it sucks them through. At the moment they're absolutely ######.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    to all those people constantly complaining about balance or new mechanics:

you want this to improve? then do something about it: <b>please apply for playtester</b>. this will allow you to make balance/tweak suggestions before a patch is released.
    i imagine the DEVs are quite busy working on the game instead of playing it, you cannot expect them to come up with nice balance during beta, unless other people with sufficient free time put effort into this. if they just listen to the "ordinary" community all the time, the suggestions are probably contradicting each other and there is no direct way to tell which suggestions make sense and which don't (can you really judge the balance after playing a build for just 1-2 games?).
    they are currently looking for additional playtesters and you can expect them to value your oppinion more if they know about your previous gaming/testing/programming/whatever experience.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I love most of the changes. Although there are a few changes that I find drastic.

Lerk Bilebomb triple nerf (radius, damage, and marine armor damage) really hurt its usefulness.

Whip Bombard damage increase is exactly aliens need. Although Whips currently take too much time and effort to mature.
  • BlakkCooperBlakkCooper Join Date: 2007-11-24 Member: 63009Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932999:date=May 3 2012, 11:09 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ May 3 2012, 11:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932999"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Verify your NS2 steam cache. If that doesnt work, delete ns2 and re-download.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Verifying the cache did the trick. Thanks.
  • causticsodacausticsoda Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151327Members
    Just want to say thanks to the devs!, huge patch, and obviously a lot of hard work has gone into it.

Played a couple of rounds tonight, and had a lot of fun! keep it coming.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1932979:date=May 3 2012, 08:56 AM:name=Gsemia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gsemia @ May 3 2012, 08:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932979"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why is NS2 using ASCII ? Why not UTF8 ? This could potentially eliminate many problems in the future with translations.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you save the gamestrings file as UTF8 it will work properly.
  • TheFluffyDuckTheFluffyDuck Join Date: 2012-05-03 Member: 151480Members
    You guys have in just over a week made the gorge the funnest and the dullest class to play.

I do like the direction you are moving in 206 with the gorge and separating it from RES. It made the gorges much quicker to respond to areas that needed immediate defence. I like.

However 207 utterly killed it. Not only did it kill it, 207 came dressed inappropriate at the gorges funeral.

BAD DECISION 1) Having to destroy the previous buildings. That isnt possible when you can place things ON THE ROOF

BAD DECISION 2) Capping the amount to 3 NERFED hydras for the entire game. Thats going to be 1/16th of ###### all useless for the mid and end game.

BAD DECISION 3) Nerfing hydras even more. Great so not only do we have less of them, but they cant hit anything either. What a deal!

BAD DECISION 4) Structures die when the gorge dies. Becasuse baby sitting 3 inacurate hydras mid game is a winning strategy!

BAD DECISION 5) Doing all of the above! ITs over kill. If you just did one or two you have hit your balance on the money but you over did it and made the gorge even more frustrating to play for little gain.