Natural Selection 2 News Update - Build 207 released

Comments

• cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932785:date=May 3 2012, 02:05 AM:name=Ryne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryne @ May 3 2012, 02:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932785"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think you are confusing alien vision with hive sight. They are (if I recall reading correctly) removing hive sight (seeing marines on infestation) and replacing it with the new drifters. They are working on revising alien vision, aka the alien flashlight.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, you are correct. I posted that at 3am, mixed the two up.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1933036:date=May 3 2012, 01:06 PM:name=TheFluffyDuck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheFluffyDuck @ May 3 2012, 01:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933036"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->BAD DECISION 1) Having to destroy the previous buildings. That isnt possible when you can place things ON THE ROOF<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    For what it's worth, I believe this wasn't meant to be a nerf, but rather fix the issue of players building over the cap and ruining an entire cyst chain or making a huge hole in their defences without realizing it
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    @ Changed alien wave spawn.

why not speeding it up with maturing of the hive?

so marines do not need to push for 2 ips at the beginning

and also know exactly when they have to (important for dynamic strategies)
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932892:date=May 2 2012, 11:00 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ May 2 2012, 11:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932892"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lerk isn't fun to play right now. Just like every new game, they made it too good and then 'fixed' that by making it garbage.

Not cool!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Lerk will probably be under powered for a bit, but there is still 1 evolution chamber missing from the game which could make lerk obscene later so I'm patient

I disagree with just a cost increase for ARC. . . If it was me I guess I would make it so Marines would want to use them as soon as possible in small numbers instead of waiting for Comm's to solo win using a D-Train

I'll want to try out the other changes before speaking about them. . .
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2012
    So you've now nerfed both lerk speed, bilebomb damage AND bilebomb aoe? Don't you guys think that's a bit overkill? The AOE nerf was all that was needed, the double nerf is just ridiculous IMO.

Also, any chance we will see the 10 starting p.res next patch then, or was that entirely cut? (Seems like a very easy change, with a big positive impact on gameplay, I'm surprised it didn't make it in this patch)

Anyway, looking forward to 208 for sure
  • World ConstructWorld Construct Join Date: 2012-03-29 Member: 149616Members
    edited May 2012
    Well, another patch was released. You all know what that means. It's the end of the world, and you need to scream really loud about it.

[notsarcasm]
    Amazing how I know that the game will be released within a year and fun. Amazing. Because the first NS1 exists. Because there are at least two separate large personal investments in the project over five years. Because a patch is released every week. Because betas frequently go through large cyclical changes.
    [/notsarcasm]

Yes, remember, the devs ARE intentionally ruining the game. That's the first thing they teach you at Harvard Business School about success: intentionally ruin your product. That's why the world still drinks New Coke.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2012
    While I usually agree with the 'it's a beta' slogan, it does feel like a lot of knee-jerk balance changes are being put through, as well as flawed mechanics to patch up other flawed mechanics. (Gorge structures disappearing) Don't get me wrong, I think they're doing a great job overall, but in a public beta like this it's usually just better to go with slow and carefully deliberated balance changes than to go with big knee-jerk ones (like double or even triple nerfs to one lifeform in a single patch). At least that way you won't be upsetting a portion of the playerbase on a weekly basis. (Which is not something you can just laugh away, poor performance is a bad enough reason by itself, don't need to stack poor gameplay and balance on top of that)
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    edited May 2012
    Really like the new patch. Won a couple of games as alien, won a couple as marine.

Aliens can really bring an end to the the game now with oni killing the power node so quickly. Marines can really push and can win a match too. It takes good teamplay from both sides to win. Skulks cant just sit and wait to evolve into oni, they have to run around and protect harvesters as a single marine can just run into main hive and take down the main harvester on his own. And a lot of other things i liked.

Played just for an hour or so. So far though, i think things work. Although i almost never play gorge, not since build 190~ i think...

Like the changes to the lerk, but his speed seems too slow, maybe that won't be the issue when tier3 comes in.

Keep up the great work!

Edit: Speaking of gorge, hydras feel kind of too nerfed to be honest.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Played a couple of games and I still see lerks swarming marine bases and not getting killed even though there are sentries and 4 rines shooting.

Is much progress likely for the hit reg or whatever causes this?

Whip should mature on their own like a hive does.

Please reverse all changes to the gorge. The only one I think is fair is the structures getting killed if the gorge doesn't come back...
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Hit-reg may have something to do with it, but just as much bad FPS and incredible amounts of mouse-lag. I can't aim for ###### at the moment (well, worse than usual anyway), so don't nerf the Lerk on that account.
  • RTVRTV Join Date: 2008-06-09 Member: 64417Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932759:date=May 3 2012, 12:14 AM:name=paradoxum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (paradoxum @ May 3 2012, 12:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932759"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not liking the new direction that gorges are in now, I want their things to cost PRes again and for there to be no limits, also this is just awful:

I realize this is required because it stops people gorging, dropping a bunch of hydras then going skulk again, but we wouldn't have this problem if they simply cost PRes again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Stop crying, people always did this in NaSe1...

no reason for me to play the aliens in 207anymore.

<!--quoteo(post=1933062:date=May 3 2012, 02:06 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ May 3 2012, 02:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933062"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Played a couple of games and I still see lerks swarming marine bases and not getting killed even though there are sentries and 4 rines shooting.

Is much progress likely for the hit reg or whatever causes this?

Whip should mature on their own like a hive does.

Please reverse all changes to the gorge. The only one I think is fair is the structures getting killed if the gorge doesn't come back...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    all this crying, learn to aim!
    lerks are pretty easy to hunt, for noobs its hard!
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Was just in a game where the alien spawn system bugged out half way through a game and aliens stopped being able to spawn at all. I really hope that gets a small hotfix or something, it's going to make the next 2 weeks pretty irritating :(
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    any thoughts of looking at augmentation to revert/fix gorges with? take out aug requirement for goowall, and use aug to increase the gorge's cap?
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1933094:date=May 3 2012, 07:55 AM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ May 3 2012, 07:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933094"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->any thoughts of looking at augmentation to revert/fix gorges with? take out aug requirement for goowall, and use aug to increase the gorge's cap?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or maybe getting crag hive gives more clogs and shade hive more minicysts? Not sure how to tie hydras with shift
  • olisisolisis Join Date: 2003-02-01 Member: 12944Members
    edited May 2012
    Just played a few rounds and I really love how the Onos feels this patch. Charge is nasty. Its health/armor feels good and its base speed feels just about right. I would have liked a tiny bit faster, but I think I need to get more used to using charge for general purposes.

People seemed to hit me just fine as a lerk. I died a bit easier than before and many times barely escaped with my life. It feels like still a little overpowered at times, but nowhere near like previous patches.

I feel like gorging is a little unfun still. I hate how the second you die, all your structures start dieing off. I assumed it would give me a minute before this started happening. I spend most of my time as an offensive gorge running back and rehealing all my cysts. One time I even ran back to my base area as a skulk, went to evolve gorge, but as I was evolving to gorge, my cysts died. It's just not enough time and I feel like a detriment to the team that I can't join in the fight or push at all when I'm tending to all my hurt cysts.

I like where it's going, but I really don't care for the timed aspect. And at 3 hydras, considering how they are currently damage and health wise, I don't see a problem with them just staying there whether you are a gorge or not (other than server performance).

- Suggestion: Maybe they should only die off if you select a higher lifeform than skulk and gorge?

I see no possible alien victory for a game with decent teams where most players do not evolve past gorge or skulk anyway, so they would die off on their own naturally as the match progressed. Also, you could make for some nice early game static deterrent, but with the obvious sacrifice of offense for defense.
    edited May 2012
    They need to make up their mind on the hydra to be honest. Either they make it powerful enough, at which point you need to bump up the base gorge cost or give them a p.res cost, or you can have them weak like they currently are with no real impact on the game. (Which then negatively affects the gorge experience)

I feel going with the more powerful hydras from 206 makes the playing experience for the gorge a lot more enjoyable, there's no point in having these offensive chambers around if they're not going to be able to even delay a marine advance properly. (Which they could in 206 but no longer in 207.) The problem with the strong hydras before was not so much that they were strong per se, it was the fact that you didn't have to pay for the hydras in the gorge base cost, or for the hydras themselves, and that you were able to just rebuild them perpetually.

I really hope they reconsider this whole gorge fiasco and just go with a proper p.res costs on the 206 hydras. (either built in to the base gorge cost, which is not desirable as it will impact player flexibility, or on the hydras themselves)
  • olisisolisis Join Date: 2003-02-01 Member: 12944Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1933121:date=May 3 2012, 10:29 AM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ May 3 2012, 10:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933121"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They need to make up their mind on the hydra to be honest. Either they make it powerful enough, at which point you need to bump up the base gorge cost or give them a p.res cost, or you can have them weak like they currently are with no real impact on the game. (Which then negatively affects the gorge experience)

I feel going with the more powerful hydras from 206 makes the playing experience for the gorge a lot more enjoyable, there's no point in having these offensive chambers around if they're not going to be able to even delay a marine advance properly. (Which they could in 206 but no longer in 207.) The problem with the strong hydras before was not so much that they were strong per se, it was the fact that you didn't have to pay for the hydras in the gorge base cost, or for the hydras themselves, and that you were able to just rebuild them perpetually.

I really hope they reconsider this whole gorge fiasco and just go with a proper p.res costs on the 206 hydras. (either built in to the base gorge cost, which is not desirable as it will impact player flexibility, or on the hydras themselves)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I kinda feel like hydras are only meant for early game and as a supplement to something 'stronger' for mid to late game. Once grenades and shotguns become commonplace mid-game, hydras are pretty pointless. And late game, just an obstacle to clear. It feels like we are just missing that late game gorge structure that ties it all together. Something nasty that keeps the gorge viable instead of just a medic.

That's why I made the suggestion in my previous post concerning the structure time limit. There is really little reason to stay gorge late game currently if there is already one healing. It would be great if Hydras evolved as a gorge upgrade for the comm to select after augmentation. Something to even rival the original OC. Maybe called a "Great Hydra" or "Grand Hydra" that is a bit bigger in size and double the heads of the original hydra. I'm not sure what is planned for the 3rd gorge ability, though. But by the time the third abilities are in play, it may be too long of a wait before the gorge becomes useful again. A comm upgraded hydra might be just the trick to keep things interesting.

The problem with using p res for the gorge is he does not get boosted income like in NS1, and with an alien commander, I don't think it's wise to implement something that would take away from other players, or give one player a boost in res to evolve a higher lifeform earlier. And as for the old system, if the game is going poorly, you can't do anything worthwhile as gorge. In situations, it makes for a wasted class if their structures cost res, and the devs realize that. They all should be viable at any time, but that's hard to say currently until all the abilities are in. But there is nothing wrong with balancing what we have vs what they have.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1932862:date=May 2 2012, 07:14 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ May 2 2012, 07:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932862"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Um.. ok *lol*. I hope that damage number was a typo. Sure it does less damage to armour but lol, did no one realise thats like half the hp of an IP 2250 hp + 125 armour? Hate to say it, but this is so ridiculous i have to ask how this got through pt at all?

Ok. Just checked balance.lua. Looks like it wasn't a typo. Sigh UWE sigh.... I'm really not quite sure what to think anymore about what the devs see as balance. Hilarious buff if nothing else.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Excuse me dear sir, but you need to be nicer. You should also get your facts straight before making a criticism like this.

2250 + 4x125 = 2750/1200. That's four salvos. Which is 24 seconds. Do you think it should take longer than 24 seconds for bombard to take out an IP? Jeeesh.
  • ixnayixnay Join Date: 2012-04-14 Member: 150449Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932846:date=May 2 2012, 05:47 PM:name=JuCCi%252525252526%252525252523045%25252525253BPuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi%252525252526%252525252523045%25252525253BPuCCi @ May 2 2012, 05:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932846"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You may find this funny. But really it's becoming a lil much. The game is due summer and the dev's have no path for the game. The community is getting upset and don't understand most the changes. Charlie when you decided to make this game did you have anything mapped out in you're head? Or was it a think ill just build it as i go? If the answer was ill build it as i go... then this is the issue. No plan.....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http:///VU_qBBOSc6Y" target="_blank">http://youtu.be/VU_qBBOSc6Y</a>

1m50-1m52.

Lack of.... STRATE-GY.

And then 3min 29 - 3min 33

"Strategy is the most important thing in business"

[Snip - Seriously people, stop with the dev insults. I still have a small and ever shrinking amount of faith that our community can take part in reasonable discussion without resorting to the kind of disrespect that seems to be taking over the forums lately -- Cory]

Saying that Charlie can learn from the British apprentice is not an insult. It is advice. Be less touchy, i bet he got advice off business books suggested to him too.
  • Unknown_SoldierUnknown_Soldier Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6395Members
    edited May 2012
    Really thinking at this point that the Gorge might need a rework because it feels gutted right now and Hydra band-aids aren't really doing it (especially when the community is fighting with each other over whether or not they're able to aim guns at Hydras).
  • GeENiEGeENiE Join Date: 2002-06-09 Member: 740Members, Constellation
    Loving this build so far, feels great
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1933159:date=May 3 2012, 07:06 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ May 3 2012, 07:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933159"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2250 + 4x125 = 2750/1200. That's four salvos. Which is 24 seconds. Do you think it should take longer than 24 seconds for bombard to take out an IP? Jeeesh.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's still pretty powerful, especially if you count the splash damage... but I suppose this compensates for the Whip needing line of sight to its targets.
  • DualSightDualSight Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72909Members
    edited May 2012
    Why not add cooldowns to prevent gorge from spamming any of their skills?
  • SmasherSmasher Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43732Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1933179:date=May 3 2012, 03:24 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ May 3 2012, 03:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933179"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's still pretty powerful<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not compared to the ARCs..
  • GringoBoy87GringoBoy87 Join Date: 2003-12-23 Member: 24702Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1933041:date=May 3 2012, 08:23 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ May 3 2012, 08:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933041"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For what it's worth, I believe this wasn't meant to be a nerf, but rather fix the issue of players building over the cap and ruining an entire cyst chain or making a huge hole in their defences without realizing it<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is why it's important to work in concert with the khamm as a gorge. When I played gorge in 206 I would use my limited cysts to provide early expansion and then inform the khamm that s/he (actually never she...) needed to put down his own cysts. Gorges aren't meant to provide permanent growth; they're supposed to play a supporting role by setting up temporary defenses (clogs and hydras) and speeding up structure growth.

I am disappointed with the new gorge structure limit as well. I think 206 worked fine and I never saw any form of misuse of the system. I say bring back the incremental structure increase with each hive and fluid replacement mechanics (i.e. once you hit the limit you automatically kill off earlier structures). Having the number of structures available tied to hives forced me to be more cognizant of hive construction. Additionally, having more structures available to you with each hive was in no way OP; it was a direct result of effective teamplay and essentially a well earned reward. Automatically killing off older structures once I hit the limit allowed me to keep pace with the evolving battlefield. It gave me the options to push forward on my own if I felt it was tactically viable, and it allowed me to move my structures up to the next room once the khamm was ready to expand.

For those who can't manage their structures as gorges, either play another class or practice more.

Well, I guess it doesn't matter anymore...
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    - the balance feels little bit better
    - com still need good APS for commanding
    - how much binding groups are there? ... me personaly usualy use max 1'st 5 (CC, RADAR, RADAR, ARCs, TF, CC2)
    - I dont understand how com can play without indings... micromanagement is crucial here...
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's still pretty powerful, especially if you count the splash damage... but I suppose this compensates for the Whip needing line of sight to its targets.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> And the fact that a single ARC will just completely shut down a whip rush. (Which is the real issue imo)
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Anyone know what it means that the settings are now in the "Steam Cloud"? Will we not be able to locally edit our steam settings now? I know I have a few things (such as the screen resolution) that I modified to be a value NOT in the NS2 resolution drop down list. It would stink to loose this ability?
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1933241:date=May 3 2012, 03:17 PM:name=Racer1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Racer1 @ May 3 2012, 03:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933241"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone know what it means that the settings are now in the "Steam Cloud"? Will we not be able to locally edit our steam settings now? I know I have a few things (such as the screen resolution) that I modified to be a value NOT in the NS2 resolution drop down list. It would stink to loose this ability?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They should just be backed up to the steam cloud. You'll still be able to edit them locally.