NS2 Progress

Comments

• KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    Guess well see a pi*thumb rebuild of the map to make random spawns "work" - no need to make proper updated mapping guidelines for this right? - its just random spawns... (so you can spawn either at other ends of the map, or in rooms next to eachother, more or less. And the way rooms are designed, and respawntimes doesnt affect balance at all right?)

:P
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    From what I saw, the Server Room makes for a really terrible marine start. It's so cramped. Aliens just go lerk in the beginning and gas/spike the ♥♥♥♥ out of the room, while one or two gorgies keep them healed.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    So I read:
    Skulk max speed while leaping is 13m/sec rather than intened 25m/sec

Which made sense to me in B193, since max speed while leaping (show by skulk_speed) was in fact, 13.
    This sounded like the change would mean skulk now leaps at almost double speed! But i jump in 194, and its not very fast. It's actually only increased to 14, which is what is written in the skulk.lua files:

Skulk.kLeapSpeed = 14

Did I miss something? Was leap meant to be a good counter, or was it at least intended to help you play with the jetpacks?
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1899541:date=Feb 4 2012, 03:24 AM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Feb 4 2012, 03:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899541"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So I read:
    Skulk max speed while leaping is 13m/sec rather than intened 25m/sec

Which made sense to me in B193, since max speed while leaping (show by skulk_speed) was in fact, 13.
    This sounded like the change would mean skulk now leaps at almost double speed! But i jump in 194, and its not very fast. It's actually only increased to 14, which is what is written in the skulk.lua files:

Skulk.kLeapSpeed = 14

Did I miss something? Was leap meant to be a good counter, or was it at least intended to help you play with the jetpacks?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

leap speed is added to your forward momentum, so i think if you gain a lot of speed from walljumping then you can get up to the max (25)
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    Nah it doesnt, just tried.

Max skulk speed while running is 7, with timed walljumps you can get to about 13. I just got to 11 and then leaped, and only went to a max of 14 still.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->PATCH: AI units always stops short of where you want them to go<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh thank you, this was such a pain for getting Drifters and Whips where I want them to go.

Also, there's a bug where Drifters disobey Alien Comm orders if the Hive is set with a rally point, you'd either have to reselect the Drifter or wait 'til the Drifter stops at the rally point.

Edit: I don't know if this is fixed yet, but the cursor icons for selecting units/buildings/casting abilities is also not centered, it is aligned to the bottom left of where you are actually pointing.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Design task Change # of allowed evolutions to # of hives (2nd February)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Will the next step be the much anticipated liberation of upgrade structures (Shell/Veil/Spur) from Hives?

I think Aliens should be able to have all the upgrade options available, even with just one Hive.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    build 195 just downloaded :D
  • YotopiaYotopia Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75176Members
  • McMarius11McMarius11 Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143763Members
    edited February 2012
    On Single GPU
    The Game needs better performance
    i run this game on high or low no difference
    10 minutes of gameplay i only have 18 min 30 fps MAX HERE I HAVE 40% usage
    in spectator i have 100 FPS and 95% USAGE
  • DaefixDaefix Join Date: 2012-02-16 Member: 146157Members
    I don't know what happened since last build, from 190 to 194 game performance was good even better in each build, now on 195 feels very laggy and sometimes unplayable, i don't have a great computer (Just an old 64 x2 at 2,4ghz with 3gb DDR400 and 4870x2), but not have any sense playin good a week ago and now not.

P.D: Sorry for my english, not very good.
  • DeityDeity Join Date: 2012-01-31 Member: 142843Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Keep in mind that the quality of the hardware of the server on which you play greatly influences the frame rate and overall "smoothness" of your experience. Servers with a low tic rate aren't going to run this game well once lots of structures start appearing, even with a low player count. Anything lower than 100tic I would consider not suitable to maintain playability through an entire game lasting over half an hour.

Make sure that you have tested multiple servers before providing feedback that progress on framerate has been reversed. In my experience it has not gotten any worse since 195.
    <!--quoteo(post=1903872:date=Feb 16 2012, 10:03 PM:name=Deity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deity @ Feb 16 2012, 10:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1903872"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Keep in mind that the quality of the hardware of the server on which you play greatly influences the frame rate and overall "smoothness" of your experience. Servers with a low tic rate aren't going to run this game well once lots of structures start appearing, even with a low player count. Anything lower than 100tic I would consider not suitable to maintain playability through an entire game lasting over half an hour.

Make sure that you have tested multiple servers before providing feedback that progress on framerate has been reversed. In my experience it has not gotten any worse since 195.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I usually play on same servers, like 3 o 4, and performance droped suddenly in all of them, i'm gonna try with 196 anyway, if not gets better i think it's the end on playing the beta again for me.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Use net_stats in console, if the server tick rate is less than 10-15, best switch to another server. Also remember the higher your ping, the less FPS u will get also, as your client is predicting more so uses more CPU.
    <!--quoteo(post=1904329:date=Feb 17 2012, 08:32 PM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Feb 17 2012, 08:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1904329"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Use net_stats in console, if the server tick rate is less than 10-15, best switch to another server. Also remember the higher your ping, the less FPS u will get also, as your client is predicting more so uses more CPU.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Tick 30 and ping around 60~80, feels less laggy on 196, but still not the same. Anyway i'm upgrading my old x2 939 to a AM3 x4 next week, i hope it will made the game more playable for me, thanks guys.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Several players in the same room drops FPS alot "accepted"

0.0 ... so what was the culprit?
  • NiteowlNiteowl Join Date: 2002-09-04 Member: 1274Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Is optimization waaaay down the the list of ToDo's? Does anyone know? As much as I'd like to spend 150-200 to upgrade my video card to play the beta version of the game, it's a hard sell to The Boss.

(AMD phenom II 1055t, 4gb RAM, HD 4770 GPU, and get 8fps in action).

I'm not asking for butter smooth gameplay, just 15 fps in action with everything turned off. This rig can run Skyrim on high, or, likely , I'm asking too much.

If optimization is months and months away, then I'll get to wrangling with the family budget.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Optimization has been a priority since day 1 but they have to work on other things some time.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Nice to see you back, NiteOwl. It's been awhile!

I feel like we're a broken record around here, but I guess I'll say it again: optimization is our biggest technical priority. #1. Max and team have made awesome strides in this department, but it's something we're going to keep working on until we hit v1.0 and then probably beyond.

We want the world to play our games. For that to happen, they have to be able to.
  • NiteowlNiteowl Join Date: 2002-09-04 Member: 1274Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=1905518:date=Feb 21 2012, 09:57 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Feb 21 2012, 09:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice to see you back, NiteOwl. It's been awhile!

I feel like we're a broken record around here, but I guess I'll say it again: optimization is our biggest technical priority. #1. Max and team have made awesome strides in this department, but it's something we're going to keep working on until we hit v1.0 and then probably beyond.

We want the world to play our games. For that to happen, they have to be able to.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    :D
    NS2 is looking great, and the gameplay really FEELS NSey.. NSy.. Has the right feel, IMHO. You guys are doing a great job! Sorry for asking this, difficult to sift through all the NS2 info out there. Nature of the beast, I'm sure.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited February 2012
    Glad to see Obs getting a tune-up, maybe we'll see more Obs' near the front-lines to add to PG + Sentries + Armory mini-bases.

Also, Gorge Build Menu, hoping to see the PRes costs given mention, a step further in game polishing~

Edit: Fade Hive 2/3 abilities too? Can't wait :D
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fade hive 2/3 abilities<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just curious, what did you have in mind for additional abilities?

Are we going to get Acid Rocket back? or are you thinking of some new original abilities?
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1905518:date=Feb 21 2012, 06:57 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Feb 21 2012, 06:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice to see you back, NiteOwl. It's been awhile!

We want the world to play our games. For that to happen, they have to be able to.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Will we see these awesome strides in the next patch?
  • MkilbrideMkilbride Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69952Members
    Yeaah.

Performance went to crap.

194 / 195....

I could get 60FPS at all times on my system. ALL times.

Now I get as low as 30

And the servers that used to have 30-32 tick rate constant now to drop 15-17 at times, and have as high as 30% choke for 1 second. Previously did not, this is including the Official servers, the Inversion servers, and the Chicago ones.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[108] Xenocide still usbale after 3rd hive destoryed<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Build 108 :O, alpha days?
  • rhezrhez Join Date: 2005-05-14 Member: 51576Members, Constellation
    I was hoping they'd have a better 3rd hive ability idea for skulks than bringing back xenocide...
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    I just wanted to say that I really love the new effects that went into the game recently, they look great!
    Wich leads me to some questions, are these FX made entirly in the cinematic editor? or are they pre-rendered in another software like 3ds max fumefx and then exported as images to be processed in the cinematic editor?
    Allso are there any video tutorials out there for the the cinematic editor to create FX?
    Thanks
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1905586:date=Feb 21 2012, 06:39 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Feb 21 2012, 06:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1905586"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Glad to see Obs getting a tune-up, maybe we'll see more Obs' near the front-lines to add to PG + Sentries + Armory mini-bases.

Also, Gorge Build Menu, hoping to see the PRes costs given mention, a step further in game polishing~

Edit: Fade Hive 2/3 abilities too? Can't wait :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the build menu shows you the resource costs. i also greyed out not available structures (which would require to be researched or a minium hive amount) and marked them red when you cannot afford them. that should make it more clear to all players, including myself... I didn't know for quite a long time how much a hydra costs until i began reading the code and working on ns2 :D
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I'm hoping the build menu will go in the direction of the TF2 engineer.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1906334:date=Feb 23 2012, 03:05 PM:name=kingmob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingmob @ Feb 23 2012, 03:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906334"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm hoping the build menu will go in the direction of the TF2 engineer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that was the reference i got :)