NS2 Progress

Comments

• ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1906334:date=Feb 23 2012, 08:05 PM:name=kingmob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingmob @ Feb 23 2012, 08:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906334"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm hoping the build menu will go in the direction of the TF2 engineer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh god, I hope not. I hate the build menu in tf2.

And I also dislike how building is implemented in NS2 currently. I loved the right-click menu in ns1. It made sense, it worked and it was perfect. Want to build something? RMB and select what to build. Mixing the selection of building and weapons is awful. You always have to be careful not to press the wrong button, fast switching weapons, scrolling through your "inventory", using q/last weapon doesn't work in tf2 and consequently not with the current gorge. The devs decided to scrap the right click menu for some reason. Idk why but It's probably too late to bring it back now anyway. For building however there should be some equivalent to the old menu. Maybe by pressing E. But PLEASE, dear devs, remove building from the weapon slots. It doesn't make any sense. It is confusing and uncomfortable.

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->
    Tl;dr: Don't take Valve as an example, they may have made hl2 but they failed at any multiplayer game they have done themselves so far. Valve just can't create good MP games.
    (Yes, I'm implying that L4D<b>_1</b> is actually not a valve game, it's from turtlerock studios, l4d2 is valve and it's ###### on a stick)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited February 2012
    Thanks for clarifying, Schimmel <3

Although I do enjoy both the Engie's build menu and the current Gorge's build slots (great for on-the-go building), I'll have to check it out before I judge its intuitiveness. I like how you never really just stand around as Gorge in NS2, which happened a lot with NS1's build menu due to cursor interaction.

What I have in mind isn't a menu that covers the center of your screen (Gorge's mouth already does a good job at vision obstruction), but something like a cool little half-circle menu just under your crosshair, with the Hydra, Mini-Cyst, and soon-to-come Goo Wall neatly organized in a row, showing PRes cost and availability (gray/red/Hive count). It works like Engie's menu, but less obstructive to the Gorge :)

I hope it isn't like the Evolve Menu, so the Gorge can still move around and select his buildings on-the-go, using number keys perhaps.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    Happy to hear the tf2 engineer like menu is happening, it's very quick to select structures once you're used to it.
    Some per team, class, or commander control customization would be helpful as well. Similar to the battlefield games.

Looking at all the progress recently is making me excited for the next batch of patches. Can't wait for the build 200 milestone.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1906392:date=Feb 23 2012, 06:03 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Feb 23 2012, 06:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906392"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks for clarifying, Schimmel <3

Although I do enjoy both the Engie's build menu and the current Gorge's build slots (great for on-the-go building), I'll have to check it out before I judge its intuitiveness. I like how you never really just stand around as Gorge in NS2, which happened a lot with NS1's build menu due to cursor interaction.

What I have in mind isn't a menu that covers the center of your screen (Gorge's mouth already does a good job at vision obstruction), but something like a cool little half-circle menu just under your crosshair, with the Hydra, Mini-Cyst, and soon-to-come Goo Wall neatly organized in a row, showing PRes cost and availability (gray/red/Hive count). It works like Engie's menu, but less obstructive to the Gorge :)

I hope it isn't like the Evolve Menu, so the Gorge can still move around and select his buildings on-the-go, using number keys perhaps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

perfect description of the build menu, except of the circular arrangement. the build menu is placed ~ in the middle of your bottom half of the screen in a row and will not take more than ~20% of total screen space. you can for example press 2 (for build menu) and again 2 (hydra), or 2 - 1 (cyst), 2 - 3 (goo wall) or you just click with your mouse on the icon to select the structure.
  • NessNess Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 10935Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Been a while! Good to see you Owl. I hadn't played since the first alphas until "Gorilla". However, I was so impressed that I ended up renting a server. Right now what hardware the server has dictates the quality of the match but I haven't heard any complaints on mine yet (Inversion hosted). A lot of things you folks obviously know about need working on (ESPECIALLY commander interfaces) but I will say this - everyone I play with will tell you that a lot of the feel of the old NS is there. Hopefully we'll see some larger maps and some great ambient music in line with the first to help clinch that magic ;)
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1906434:date=Feb 23 2012, 04:40 PM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Feb 23 2012, 04:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906434"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->perfect description of the build menu, except of the circular arrangement. the build menu is placed ~ in the middle of your bottom half of the screen in a row and will not take more than ~20% of total screen space. you can for example press 2 (for build menu) and again 2 (hydra), or 2 - 1 (cyst), 2 - 3 (goo wall) or you just click with your mouse on the icon to select the structure.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds sweet! By the way, does switching to Hydra/Mini-Cyst still occasionally slow you down as though you put a building? I assume the new build menu loadout slot should be free of this inconvenience :)
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alien abilities, removing scaleable alien upgrades (still working on design)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I wonder what that means...
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1906500:date=Feb 24 2012, 01:41 AM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Feb 24 2012, 01:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906500"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sounds sweet! By the way, does switching to Hydra/Mini-Cyst still occasionally slow you down as though you put a building? I assume the new build menu loadout slot should be free of this inconvenience :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

fixed that just before, so no it will not behave like that anymore.
    <!--quoteo(post=1906560:date=Feb 24 2012, 04:20 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Feb 24 2012, 04:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906560"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wonder what that means...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Possibly untying upgrade strength from Shell, Veil, and Spur count?

Thanks for that Schimmel, now I can rest easy as a full-time Gorge ^_^
  • DaefixDaefix Join Date: 2012-02-16 Member: 146157Members
    I don't know if it's only me, but sometimes when i go to the game, it not finds any servers, i go to the main menu and come back to the server list 2 o 3 times, and i have them back, sometimes i have to exit the game and come back 1 or 2 times, till they appear again, it's only sometimes like 1 time every 10 times i play.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    I dislike playing as aliens now, especially skulks, they should change the balance to fights last a little longer and a running skulk has a good chance to at least get a bite in, all too often i die before i get anywhere near a marine, gets boring after a while, not everyone likes to play so carefully/stealthy, if i can't run head on from a short distance and get in a fight then something is wrong imo, there's absolutely no reason damage levels couldn't be reduced so fights last more than a few seconds, let some us actually get in there and fight a bit before we die.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited February 2012
    Running head on makes you the easiest target for a marine. Use the walls, the vents, and your minimap to work out the best place to attack.

Skulks should attack from above and from behind. You should be able to get at least two bites in before you die. If I ambush two marines I can usually kill one and hurt the other. If I'm lucky I can get both.

The aliens and marines are supposed to play differently, if you aren't a fan of skulks you can try lerks, gorges, fades and onoses. But the onos is probably the only one that'll let you play the way you enjoy. Otherwise you should play the combat mod where there its straight up fighting with little strategy.
  • flack70flack70 Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7359Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907179:date=Feb 26 2012, 01:22 PM:name=Electr0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Electr0 @ Feb 26 2012, 01:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907179"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->not everyone likes to play so carefully/stealthy, if i can't run head on from a short distance and get in a fight then something is wrong imo, there's absolutely no reason damage levels couldn't be reduced so fights last more than a few seconds, let some us actually get in there and fight a bit before we die.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You could run around a short distance from the marine, basically try and dance around on walls and ceilings and make yourself very difficult to hit (personally I find vertical loops to be pretty effective). Keep that up until whoever is shooting at you needs to reload, then move in for the kill. That, I think, is your best option if you aren't into sneaking. Of course, it wont work against marines with exceptional aim or those who refuse to get baited into emptying their clip, but it still works for me most of the time that I have to use it.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Design task Spore/umbra decision has appeared with status Accepted<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fingers crossed for combined ability or Hive 2 separate ability ^_^
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1907179:date=Feb 26 2012, 07:22 PM:name=Electr0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Electr0 @ Feb 26 2012, 07:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907179"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dislike playing as aliens now, especially skulks, they should change the balance to fights last a little longer and a running skulk has a good chance to at least get a bite in, all too often i die before i get anywhere near a marine, gets boring after a while, not everyone likes to play so carefully/stealthy, if i can't run head on from a short distance and get in a fight then something is wrong imo, there's absolutely no reason damage levels couldn't be reduced so fights last more than a few seconds, let some us actually get in there and fight a bit before we die.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you balanced it around skulks running straight at the marines then skulk ambushes would be overpowered.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Design task Cysts => pres (2), Drifters => tres (2) transitioned from Started to Delivered<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nice!
    That is definitly a step in the right direction!
    Now we need more stuff for the alien commander to use his personal res on.
    How about other energy abilities, that assists the alien team, just like medpacks assists marines?
    Let me name a few; Fury, Umbra, Cloak.
    Let them cost a small pres cost for the commander, and he suddenly have some choices to make about structure abilities.
    It would be better than just popping them every time you need them.
    Make the choice meaningful, make trade-offs.
  • BiglinesBiglines Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24094Members, Constellation
    am I the only alien comm that prefers the commander stuff to be team res? because I prefer to also play the actual game, 50% of the time the alien commander isn't nescesary anyway, just pop in occasionally to build stuff. Now it's personal res you actually have to stay in the comm chair and be bored out of your skull because you can't lerk/fade anymore... and with removing bilebomb from gorges makes gorges absolutely useless... just pop in hive and do it instead, costs 10 less pres..
    Hmm, will Mini-Cyst see a 1-2 Pres reduction now that Cysts cost 2 PRes? A Gorge Commander will run out of PRes pretty quickly just to keep infestation intact...
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gameplay task PATCH: Cropduster lerks (spore clouds drift to ground) transitioned from Delivered to Accepted<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yay!!!
    <!--quoteo(post=1911108:date=Mar 7 2012, 03:54 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Mar 7 2012, 03:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911108"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yay!!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Note that it is listed as a bug xO!!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2012
    PATCH: Cropduster lerks (spore clouds drift to ground)

omfg yes!!! my lerk is back!!! ty ty

(now adjust shotgun dmg to him maybe?)

<b>edit</b>: would now be a good time to ask what Max and other programmers are up to? the technical tasks haven't changed in a few patches and the radio silence is killing me. i know, i know, you give a <strike>horse </strike>mouse a cookie and he'll ask for milk, too :)
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1906383:date=Feb 23 2012, 10:46 PM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Feb 23 2012, 10:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906383"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh god, I hope not. I hate the build menu in tf2.

And I also dislike how building is implemented in NS2 currently. I loved the right-click menu in ns1. It made sense, it worked and it was perfect. Want to build something? RMB and select what to build. Mixing the selection of building and weapons is awful. You always have to be careful not to press the wrong button, fast switching weapons, scrolling through your "inventory", using q/last weapon doesn't work in tf2 and consequently not with the current gorge. The devs decided to scrap the right click menu for some reason. Idk why but It's probably too late to bring it back now anyway. For building however there should be some equivalent to the old menu. Maybe by pressing E. But PLEASE, dear devs, remove building from the weapon slots. It doesn't make any sense. It is confusing and uncomfortable.

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->
    Tl;dr: Don't take Valve as an example, they may have made hl2 but they failed at any multiplayer game they have done themselves so far. Valve just can't create good MP games.
    (Yes, I'm implying that L4D<b>_1</b> is actually not a valve game, it's from turtlerock studios, l4d2 is valve and it's ###### on a stick)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If they brough that back we would have no right mouse click secondy attack. On NS1 it was a bugger swiching between slash and blink, and leap and bite. To bring it back would be a real bad move and a step backward to the development of NS2
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1911985:date=Mar 11 2012, 01:58 AM:name=ellnic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ellnic @ Mar 11 2012, 01:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911985"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If they brough that back we would have no right mouse click secondy attack. On NS1 it was a bugger swiching between slash and blink, and leap and bite. To bring it back would be a real bad move and a step backward to the development of NS2<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

After 1 year of playing NS1 I noticed that you just have to bind 'reload' to right-click. It made you leap and blink and onos-raging with right click ^^
    I then had the menu on middle mouse. That was (is) pretty perfect.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alien Commander ability: Catalyze<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In the current tooltip, it mentioned the egg. Does this mean the Khamm can speed up lifeform gestation? Get those Fades out faster before 2nd Hive goes down :O
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1913063:date=Mar 14 2012, 09:07 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Mar 14 2012, 09:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913063"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In the current tooltip, it mentioned the egg. Does this mean the Khamm can speed up lifeform gestation? Get those Fades out faster before 2nd Hive goes down :O<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hope not, because that would be a silly excuse for ignoring the '2nd hive problem'
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Design task Games are decided in the first 5 to 10 minutes has appeared with status Started<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Interesting

I hope they keep in mind that map balance plays a large role in this, as well as the second hive for aliens being far too important currently.
    (IMO this is due to the lerk lacking, no reliable alien map control mechanisms and possibly also there being too little 'tech' for aliens at 1-hive)
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Can you really have games that aren't decided in the first minutes without also extending the typical game time to hour-long rounds?
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1913268:date=Mar 15 2012, 02:20 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Mar 15 2012, 02:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913268"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can you really have games that aren't decided in the first minutes without also extending the typical game time to hour-long rounds?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you definitely can, but you need to make it so that aliens can't (almost) instantly put down that second hive (i.e. prolonging the alien 1-hive gameplay) and at the same time ensure that there's more to alien 1-hive gameplay than there is currently.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2012
    <strike>"Games are decided in the first 5 to 10 minutes = Accepted"
    so what was done /changed? anything to address the importance or timing of 2nd hive?</strike>
    edit: thanks Xarius

to Charlie/Flayra:

Please consider what occurs/might occur when you untie lifeforms from the hive:
    <ul><li>1st Hive will be a heavily fortified base which doesn't help stalemates only if</li><li>The tech/upgrades/chambers are able to be placed at the 1st hive and </li><li>If it is not economically viable to setup another base, <b>as it is currently for marines.</b> The incentive/need should still be there, just not the impact.</li><li>You might have to adjust the starting Pres of aliens so that they cannot go fade so soon (~4 min i believe)</li><li>Or adjust the time/res it takes for marines to get armor 2, as currently they sink their Tres into Skulk Rush counters such as obs, mines, welders which are mandatory thanks to that issue.</li></ul>

I'm not saying don't untie them, i'm just pointing out things to consider should you do so.
    Stalemates were the consequence of all of Marine's tech being safeguarded in one base - where an alien would have bigger fish to fry than that arms lab. Exosuits will further this issue, as even if they are pushed back into their base, they can combat those aliens with the highest tech level - <b>only the aliens lose tech if they lose map control/bases, currently.</b>

So, in regards to Marines, they need something to tie them to a tech point as Tempest suggests so they aren't locked into defend/area denial strategies with a singular, fortified base and a singular point of spawning, unlike aliens.... but WHAT could you tie to these tech points? Phasegates? Armor? i have no clue, <i>good luck though</i>.
    It's in the design docs