NS2 Progress

Comments

• WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    +1 for no more energy. team benefitting actions by the comm/kham should cost t-res. Beacon, medpacks, ammo packs, nano, all need to be t-res. medspam is a serious problem and making it rely on armory energy is not only dumb, but it does the same thing as making them cost t-res in a roundabout way: comm will just drop more armories to get more medspam.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    just had a game of beta 206 - ns2 is very fun, but the engine worries me greatly.

it feels so unresponsive, jerky, harse and overall gumby. it makes even walking in a straight line feels like a mission.

aiming is mega unsatisfying.

I hope that UWE have got their buffers out to polish this thing - ns1 was so much fun because of the smoothness of the hl1 engine.
  • Ice30Ice30 Join Date: 2011-11-26 Member: 135365Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1931419:date=Apr 29 2012, 05:05 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Apr 29 2012, 05:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931419"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->just had a game of beta 206 - ns2 is very fun, but the engine worries me greatly.

it feels so unresponsive, jerky, harse and overall gumby. it makes even walking in a straight line feels like a mission.

I hope that UWE have got their buffers out to polish this thing - ns1 was so much fun because of the smoothness of the hl1 engine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This. Improving overall performance should be looked at before any more design changes, we are already losing many players including myself as we find it too frustrating to play in the condition the game is currently in.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1931789:date=Apr 30 2012, 02:45 PM:name=Ice30)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ice30 @ Apr 30 2012, 02:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931789"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This. Improving overall performance should be looked at before any more design changes, we are already losing many players including myself as we find it too frustrating to play in the condition the game is currently in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Engine programmers are doing engine work and game programmers are working on gameplay/features. Both advance simultaneously even if you only see changes in one of the areas. Doing design changes doesn't make performance progress slower, they're separate jobs done by different people in the team. Or do you think map changes delay gameplay changes too?
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    There is no saving personal resources for an alien life form now, since there are no personal resource sinks at all, it's waiting. Not saving.

Since evolution upgrades and gorge structures are now free, the problem of advanced alien life forms popping up all at once has only become more emphasized, and I thought it was already a well known gripe with the current resource system.

If the early game was longer, and there were sinks for personal res on the alien side. I think we would see less alien teams with identical resource counts.
    How about augmentations require a personal resource sink, want a skulk with leap? It'll cost you resources. That's what the assymetry is based on after all, right?

In addition, is it me or is the hydra incredibly accurate? And damn can they take punishment. I see 3 of them hanging above a doorway I know I'm dead before I get half way across the room with no chance of me taking them down unless I'm comletley out of their range, regardless of angle. If you can see an inch of hydra, it's shooting you, and you're on half heath. haha.

Maybe this change to the hydras is for the best, haven't played enough to figure out an informed opinion.
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Accepted: Add limit for Cysts, Hydras, Clogs, etc. so they aren't based on # of Hives

im very interrested in that limit, cant wait for next patch ;)
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    Energy as a resource makes some sense, but I am very opposed to the current form it takes. The marines have different energy on different structures. This drives comms to place multiples of the same structure to get more energy.

There should be just one energy pool that feeds all these actions. Certain structures allow access to specific functions (obs->scan, armory->resupply), but all these actions should draw from the same energy pool. This allows for trade-offs between focusing on one capability or another. The energy pool should be feed by Tech Points and Power Nodes. eg (# subject to change): hive or comm station gives 4 energy per tick and PN gives 1. An infested PN would be synonymous to a socket-ed PN. This would give a new value to PNs, especially ones in empty areas of the map. It would also limit comm/khamm support in a turtled situation. It would really be 2 different types of resources.

This single energy pool could also be leveraged for an upkeep system. Turrets and PGs or other structures could have an energy upkeep cost. This would make turtling more difficult since having numerous turrets with only a single PN and Tech Point would make your energy very slow or possibly negative.

Similar upkeep could be used on the alien side as well. Setting a Shade to a continuous-cloak mode would incur an upkeep cost. Multiple crags, whips and other structures could have different energy abilities or upkeeps in different modes.

For a bit of asymmetry, it could be done that aliens only get energy from Tech Points (hives), while marines only get energy from socket-ed powernodes. This would incentivize more marines expansion into the map while encouraging more alien hives.

Just some thoughts after reading the last page of posts...
  • causticsodacausticsoda Join Date: 2012-04-30 Member: 151327Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1931419:date=Apr 29 2012, 07:05 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Apr 29 2012, 07:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931419"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->just had a game of beta 206 - ns2 is very fun, but the engine worries me greatly.

I hope that UWE have got their buffers out to polish this thing - ns1 was so much fun because of the smoothness of the hl1 engine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think that a lot of this is server related, my perception of the smoothness of the gameplay has varied greatly, depending on what server I am playing on.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    oh, did UWE removed the exo suit from progress?
    :(
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1932170:date=May 1 2012, 11:57 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ May 1 2012, 11:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932170"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->oh, did UWE removed the exo suit from progress?
    :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nope, they're still working on it.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Remove marine speed debuff on infestation and replace with alien speed buff on it<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not sure about this one. It's fine to copy sc2 mechanics (although it would be better to copy sc bw) but this particular one brings some problems it seems (teamliquid says):

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The creep is a dead giveaway as to where most of the Zerg army is. Zerg should, and in BW was, an ambush race. There was no need for gimmicky burrow attempts, the Zerg army could enter and leave battle more quickly than their opponents. It could split, hit several locations, and then pull back to defend a push or dodge an incoming army. The edge of the creep now is a line in the sand; it tells you that once you cross it, you are in enemy territory. You'll get out-maneuvered by the enemy, not the other way around.

I can't pretend that this would be balanced, but I'd rather see the Zerg benefit from creep in a way other than speed. Perhaps double regeneration rates on creep, or improve burrow in it. Make creep a haven for Zerg, a place to retreat to gather the swarm, but without cutting the Zerg's mobility in such a devastating fashion. Of course, it won't change. Creep will always remain a speed-boost, and nothing else. But I can at least dream, can't I?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->He's not saying that he can't spread creep effectively and thus not able to win games. He's saying that Zerg has lost some of its essence from the original SC. In BW, Zerg can dictate the base of the game. They were generally the faster race at expanding and the faster race on the ground. They may be fragile, but they can catch you off guard and flank you at any time of the game. May it be 3 hatch hydra bust or a fast lurkerling push on the front door.

Zerg just can't retreat as well anymore because you won't have creep at their front door 6 minutes into the game. That partially has to do with the mechanics of the game though. Not just the creep. Both Terran and Toss have something that prevents you from retreating the already slow zerg army early on in the game with marauders and sentries, and Zerg just can't break down walls well either (except for banelings). But in the end, you couldn't chase lings, you can't chase lurkers, you can't chase speed hydras as either T or P, but now you can chase everything but lings.

In the end, off creep zerg is part of the problem why the early aggressor roles have switched in SC2, but it's not the only Last edit: 2010-08-18 01:43:05
    problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think that the creep is not interresting. Developpers probably thought this was a cool feature, but it doesn't add any depth to the game.
    It only adds constraints to zergs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Do territorial advantages affect overarching gameplay in any way other than promoting turtling?
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Mobility advantages, as a rule, encourage people not to turtle.

For example, phase gates. Marines can teleport within their territory, encouraging them to spend less time in it and more time walking outside of it.

So, if you make aliens faster on infestation, they can get to the edge faster.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited May 2012
    "Design task Have Clogs and Hydras/etc. dissolve over time if parent was not a Gorge for ~1 min transitioned from Unstarted to Delivered" - dev tracker

... Please go back to res for hydra's and cyst and w/e. Find a way to make the gorge better.

Why? Whats the reason to play gorge knowing everything you do will die, if you don't go gorge again. I came into this game at 180, it was great up until about 195... now it's slowly going down hill. That doesn't mean that there has not been any good changes. But this game is starting to just take a path of todays gaming. Pretty GFX and predictable fun. It will have a short life if this is the case imo. All i can hope is that in the next month or 2 there is some changes that wow me and keep me around.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Uh oh... I don't particularly like the idea that staying a gorge has value on its own. I definitely do want to see reasons that allow you to viably stay gorge, but it should be about you being able to actively contribute and interact with the game, not so much about something falling apart if you stop being a gorge.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    I feel like gorges didn't have much bang for their buck even during this short OP period. . .

Are mini cysts going to dissolve too when you switch off of gorge?
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932235:date=May 1 2012, 05:32 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ May 1 2012, 05:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932235"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Uh oh... I don't particularly like the idea that staying a gorge has value on its own. I definitely do want to see reasons that allow you to viably stay gorge, but it should be about you being able to actively contribute and interact with the game, not so much about something falling apart if you stop being a gorge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i see your point, at the moment as a gorge you put up stationary defences.

what about making gorgedrops temporary at the first place? loosing health slowly over time, maybe at a rate that a crag could heal.

this way the gorge hydras and clogs are per design where the gorge is.(mobile)
    more like the so often mentioned combat engenier. just building a small temporary "save-haven" for the team to heal up and not a stationary defence line that stays there all game long.

i would accept the healthloss over time simply because they are not commanderdroped and not fully integrated into the hive-link.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932212:date=May 1 2012, 05:45 AM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ May 1 2012, 05:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932212"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not sure about this one. It's fine to copy sc2 mechanics (although it would be better to copy sc bw) but this particular one brings some problems it seems (teamliquid says):<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

weren't you the one who posted first saying "+100" to tweadle's "ns2 and it's focus on negative abilities" thread??
    0.o

edit: also:
    <!--quoteo(post=1932235:date=May 1 2012, 07:32 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ May 1 2012, 07:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932235"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Uh oh... I don't particularly like the idea that staying a gorge has value on its own. I definitely do want to see reasons that allow you to viably stay gorge, but it should be about you being able to actively contribute and interact with the game, not so much about something falling apart if you stop being a gorge.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Like every alien class, dying /leaving that class will cease your contributions (be it support, harrass, pressure, ambush, building) but remaining as that class will allow you to continue to contribute.
    (recycling hydras, speeding up build time of structures and eggs, creating barricades with clogs, healspraying the frontlines or new hives etc etc)

<!--quoteo(post=1932232:date=May 1 2012, 07:20 AM:name=JuCCi-PuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi-PuCCi @ May 1 2012, 07:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932232"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->... Please go back to res for hydra's and cyst and w/e.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You should read the entirety of this thread.
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=118191&view=findpost&p=1931740" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1931740</a>
    Might change your mind.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932212:date=May 1 2012, 07:45 AM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ May 1 2012, 07:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932212"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not sure about this one. It's fine to copy sc2 mechanics (although it would be better to copy sc bw) but this particular one brings some problems it seems (teamliquid says):<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd like to point something out here regarding this change. You have to keep in mind who it affects. Alien speed buff on infestation isn't going to help fades and lerks as much as skulks, gorges and onos. Those last 3 lifeforms actually make physical contact with the infestation to get that speed boost (skulks less so due to wallhopping). Taking the debuff away from marines is actually a buff to them as they keep the same crucial maneuverability they have off infestation.

edit: I should clarify that while obviously a buff to marines I mean it is a bigger buff than expected as the two most prevalent hard to kill lifeforms don't benefit from it.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Patch today (Wed) ?
  • BluePhishBluePhish Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24364Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1932640:date=May 2 2012, 05:14 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ May 2 2012, 05:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932640"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Patch today (Wed) ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    heard about this @twitter
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Enzyme Cloud
    Shift in game
    Celerity evolution
    Skulk wall-jump speed revisit
    Hypermetabolism evolution
    Think about lifeforms maturing new abilities<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Tons of goodies here, can't wait :D
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1932672:date=May 2 2012, 10:31 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ May 2 2012, 10:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932672"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tons of goodies here, can't wait :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then open a local game, cheats 1, alltech 1 and enjoy celerity and hypermutation.
    Worked in 206 didn't test it on 207.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1933103:date=May 3 2012, 10:27 AM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ May 3 2012, 10:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933103"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then open a local game, cheats 1, alltech 1 and enjoy celerity and hypermutation.
    Worked in 206 didn't test it on 207.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hypermutation is not implemented in 207 (did that just today, in 207 it has no effect) and celerity is a wip (i made changes to that as well today)
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    I don't want to start a new thread over this, but what does "onos stomp elevation REJECTED" means in the dev progress? Cz ns2 maps are quite artistic, and full of complicated geometry that blocks the stomp.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1933422:date=May 4 2012, 08:24 AM:name=cake.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cake. @ May 4 2012, 08:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933422"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't want to start a new thread over this, but what does "onos stomp elevation REJECTED" means in the dev progress? Cz ns2 maps are quite artistic, and full of complicated geometry that blocks the stomp.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

simply means that my first attempt to fix it (like 3 weeks ago?) was not good enough, for the reason you mentioned, and i have to find a proper solution.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What is wrong with stomp. You can stomp down a ramp (logic) but not up (also logic)? So what is gona be changed there?
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Probably something along the lines of on Mineshaft coming out of operations to drill repair. If an onos stands on the level surface and stomps down the ramp and the marine is on the angled surface the stomp will not affect the marine.
    ehm last update was:
    Noticed Thursday 10th May 10:25am (UTC) on the Progress Tracker: Started: if alien commander crashes game no one can go commander (discuss)

is pivotal broken? or is it just playtesting going on all day?

anyway, im psyched for 208 and hope it didnt give you a hard time to make it. ;)
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fade tier 3 ability - Vortex
    Skulk wall-jump speed revisit
    Functional GL design
    Shift - Echo
    Unchaining Evolutions
    Infestation evolutions
    Move Bile Bomb to Gorge<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Gets me quite excited for next patch, and I haven't thoroughly enjoyed this one yet!

P.S. Would love a new entry for Design Log :)