NS2 Progress

Comments

• ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    you really need to play both sides equally before offering suggestions on improving gameplay

for me, a big part of (fps side) ns2 is the skulk/lmg combat.. which is as a skulk getting into melee range vs lmg, and as a marine, dodging melee bites once a skulk is in range

I doubt I would enjoy this as much if they introduce any more 'slowing down' mechanics, or limiting jumping etc etc for aliens or marines

(btw, hint to skulks, jumping skulks are harder to hit by lmg bullets too)
  • zombiehellmonkeyzombiehellmonkey Join Date: 2007-08-31 Member: 62093Members, Squad Five Blue
    You should do the gentleman thing - when you see a skulk approaching, stand still and let him bite your legs off.
  • WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
    So, I found out that I am an idiot: because hitting skulks with rifle-butt just does not work when I am doing it. Nuthing happens. So I just keep happily dying.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1892958:date=Jan 7 2012, 11:02 AM:name=ogz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ogz @ Jan 7 2012, 11:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892958"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(btw, hint to skulks, jumping skulks are harder to hit by lmg bullets too)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    But you can play golf with skulks if they jump around.
  • snooopssnooops Germany Join Date: 2008-12-08 Member: 65702Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What about water??? Water and swimming and stuff like that, is that possible with this engine? i really love remember the map with that huge water tunnel at ns1. do we see it again?
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ofc it would be possible, but it is a low priority and not programmed in yet...
  • Fluid CoreFluid Core Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63260Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1893429:date=Jan 10 2012, 11:07 PM:name=snooops)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snooops @ Jan 10 2012, 11:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1893429"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about water??? Water and swimming and stuff like that, is that possible with this engine? i really love remember the map with that huge water tunnel at ns1. do we see it again?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Loved that map. It had an entierly different feel, a vast network of vents and felt more complex then other maps. I'd love to see an NS2 remake of it. Can't recall what it was called though..

ns_bast :)
  • cH40z-LordcH40z-Lord Join Date: 2009-07-26 Member: 68269Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Linux dedicated server has appeared with status Unstarted<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yay, finally ^___^ !
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Don't expect that for some time, the dev-tracker managed to grab a snapshot with all future tasks (accidently?) exposed I guess.
  • cH40z-LordcH40z-Lord Join Date: 2009-07-26 Member: 68269Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If I remember correctly the devs unveil a specific amount that is on the ToDo-list with every new build that has been released. Sometimes a few features can make it into the upcoming build, sometimes not.

I'm already waiting for Linux dedicated binaries since the first playable alpha of NS2, so I think I can manage it to wait a bit longer :P
  • naevorcnaevorc Join Date: 2011-12-30 Member: 139288Members
    Did anyone else notice this in the current design tasks for Gorilla?

<b>Max 100 personal res <u>(the rest is overflowed to rest of team)</u></b>

Is this fair? On one hand, it seems that a few good players could help carry a team, but at the same time, <b>is that rewarding or rather placating consequences</b> for players who die often because of poor map awareness, etc?
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin-ns2+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ns2)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Design task Max 100 personal res (the rest is overflowed to rest of team) has appeared with status Delivered<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh man, been looking forward to this for a while.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1894269:date=Jan 14 2012, 12:50 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jan 14 2012, 12:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894269"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh man, been looking forward to this for a while.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1!
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1894203:date=Jan 14 2012, 03:22 AM:name=naevorc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (naevorc @ Jan 14 2012, 03:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894203"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did anyone else notice this in the current design tasks for Gorilla?

<b>Max 100 personal res <u>(the rest is overflowed to rest of team)</u></b>

Is this fair? On one hand, it seems that a few good players could help carry a team, but at the same time, <b>is that rewarding or rather placating consequences</b> for players who die often because of poor map awareness, etc?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They still die and get forced into the respawn queue.

Frankly, I think the resource system (or rather, the implications of the resource system) is broken as it is.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    PATCH: Whip no longer Whacks grenades

Bringing back grenade spam is not a step in the right direction in my opinion.

I'd agree whips are too effective currently but nerf their effectiveness. Removing it all together will just bring back spam.

Also it's a great feature thats unique.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1895014:date=Jan 16 2012, 04:58 PM:name=WorthyRival)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WorthyRival @ Jan 16 2012, 04:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895014"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->PATCH: Whip no longer Whacks grenades

Bringing back grenade spam is not a step in the right direction in my opinion.

I'd agree whips are too effective currently but nerf their effectiveness. Removing it all together will just bring back spam.

Also it's a great feature thats unique.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That message mislead me as well. But if you look closer, they actually fixed a bug where "Whip no longer whacks grenades". :)
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1894269:date=Jan 13 2012, 06:50 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jan 13 2012, 06:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894269"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh man, been looking forward to this for a while.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I hate this actually, because now I can only plant 30 mines at a time.

/trollface
  • SampsonSampson Join Date: 2012-01-06 Member: 139769Members
    lol i loved how so many ppl said next patch will be gorilla.... 191 and 192 will be fixes for a month-long patch that involves few features... *sigh*.... fingers crossed on next patch having onos at least...
    Mines. Seriously? - They should also damage Marine structures and kill Marines when they explode. (Maybe a slight delay.)

Shotgun range - what is up with that. Way too far.

The last 20 games I experienced have been (easy) wins for the Marines. And lot of them have been 100+ minutes matches where it was obvious that Marines are going to win eventually, and it was just a question of time.
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1895318:date=Jan 18 2012, 09:06 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jan 18 2012, 09:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895318"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Give mines
    1) a short explosion delay,
    2) a small trigger radius, and
    3) decreasing damage with blast radius
    (this last one is probably already in, maybe someone can check for me)

Fast and accurate enough aliens should be able to escape most of the damage by running past the edge of the trigger radius, or nullify the mines entirely by triggering an explosion at the edge and summarily escaping.

Obviously, it would be silly to attempt this if you are slow, it would be silly to get too close to the centre of the mine, and it would be silly to move in a tight group in a mine-infested area.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Err, that was a reply to the last post on the previous page.
    I very much support the short explosion delay for mines.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    edited January 2012
    That delayed explosion + trigger radius idea sounds like it would make mines completely useless against any fast alien. Skulks could leap or Lerks fly over mine fields to clear them in seconds.
  • DuckeyDuckey Join Date: 2009-04-30 Member: 67316Members
    First, let me congratulate you guys on having come this far. I had all but given up on NS2, but after this latest patch I found things generally fun and working.

That said, besides the usual bug fixes, the consensus on the servers seems to be that its almost impossible for the aliens to win at the moment unless its an early game rush, or the marine commander is inept. Largely, its the mines, which are way too powerful. Marines place one and stand on it, and skulks can't eat them without getting blown to bits. They are cheap enough to litter bases with them and force fights to take place in veritable minefields, which is problematic when you dont have the luxury of ranged attack. I would suggest either limiting the overall number of mines able to be placed, or make them damage marine players as well as aliens. Fades are great, but we usually aren't making it to that point without loosing most of our ground to the marines in the process.
  • DuckeyDuckey Join Date: 2009-04-30 Member: 67316Members
    As I think about it more, mines were (at least in the NS1 days) primarily used as a cheap form of base defense - to protect that RT while the marines are off elsewhere, etc. Therefore, it seems reasonable to leave them as is in regards to structures, but have them damage marine PLAYERS (not structures) within the blast radius. This keeps the base defense while eliminating the "invincible marine standing in triangle of mines" problem.

Just a few thoughts :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1895448:date=Jan 18 2012, 03:22 PM:name=Raza.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raza. @ Jan 18 2012, 03:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895448"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That delayed explosion + trigger radius idea sounds like it would make mines completely useless against any fast alien. Skulks could leap or Lerks fly over mine fields to clear them in seconds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's all a matter of degree. We know a skulk's maximum speed. We can arbitrarily specify both the trigger radius and the explosion delay. You can easily have it so that if a skulk rushes at maximum speed over the centre of a mine (a fairly foolish thing to do, really), he will take full damage, by having it such that:
    trigger radius / explosion delay = maximum speed
    I think the skulk maximum speed might be 7?
    So if you have a trigger radius of 0.35, you'd have a 0.05 second delay. These are pretty small numbers though.
    You also have to keep in mind that the blast radius would most likely be larger than the trigger radius.
  • BJHBnade_spammerBJHBnade_spammer Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42431Members
    edited January 2012
    plus thats how motion mines are supposed to work if that is essentially what they are going to turn in to.

for in game dialog after years of research marines know how fast a skulk moves so they would trigger exactly as they go over the center of it.
    makes sense to me

the blast radius also needs to be big enough so that if an alien triggers it they get some damage while still having a chance to not have any damage at all if they are fast enough

just so aliens dont trigger them and run just to get rid of the mines every time there needs to be some consequences for trying that menuver
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1895516:date=Jan 18 2012, 03:46 PM:name=BJHBnade_spammer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BJHBnade_spammer @ Jan 18 2012, 03:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895516"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->for in game dialog after years of research marines know how fast a skulk moves so they would trigger exactly as they go over the center of it.
    makes sense to me<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ehm....and the shotguns? Humans are able to make Shotguns that kill deer in 100 meters distance today, why did they forget it in the NS universe? They are spreading as if you throw nails into the air by hand. I think explanations are not necessary since NS1 ;)
    What about heat vision, gas, RPGs, etc. etc.
    And imagine Marines would have a future version of <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c" target="_blank">this shotgun</a> ;)
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    A simple solution would be to make it so mines arm/disarm when a Marine moves in and out of their radius.

Then they become solely about defence, and not offence.
  • put3rg33kput3rg33k Join Date: 2012-01-02 Member: 139432Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1895596:date=Jan 18 2012, 12:38 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Jan 18 2012, 12:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1895596"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A simple solution would be to make it so mines arm/disarm when a Marine moves in and out of their radius.

Then they become solely about defence, and not offence.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Isn't it spelt defense and offense.... I know it's off topic but I see it all over these forums, what am I missing :-D