NS2 Progress

Comments

• FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1892165:date=Dec 30 2011, 11:00 PM:name=SomeMiceDrinkingTea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SomeMiceDrinkingTea @ Dec 30 2011, 11:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892165"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What exactly is "spreadable umbra"?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Umbra that is spreadable. Like in NS1 where you could push out a umbracloud as lerk.
    Not like the actual static umbra from the crag.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    NS2 is basically Classic NS mixed with combat.

It has a commander (Classic NS) but it has people doing their own thing (Combat).

I don't like that by the way.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2011
    Thats bla bla, ppl doing their own thing also existed in ns1... It just depends on the commander/ quality of players on a server.

There is not a single combat mechanic in ns2, also its not effective/valid tactic if ppl do their own thing.
    (teams with communication and teamwork always > chaos rambo teams=> its a fault by the players and not by the game)
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited December 2011
    Choosing your own weapons as marines is a Combat-inspired mechanic.

I'll partially disagree that it's the players' fault. It shouldn't be on the players to necessarily organise themselves of their own volition - rather, that should be facilitated and encouraged by the game. Why should it be facilitated and encouraged by the game? Because that's this game's genre: a team-based shooter, which <b>requires</b> teamwork to win. Note that this does not mean that they should be forced into teamwork either. Also note that, historically over many games, for many players, "winning" is not a sufficient motivator for playing with the team.
  • AldhisslaAldhissla Join Date: 2012-01-01 Member: 139381Members
    I tried NS2 a few months ago, and just came back now, at r189. I kind of miss the jump animation the Skulk used to have (where it flails about for a bit before latching on to a wall), but holy crap the engine is faster now. It's almost playable, even.
  • tyrael64tyrael64 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70551Members
    in the progress page, in Design Tasks says "Build 190 (imminent)"
    and that means?
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    That it's the next build?
    imminent means "about to happen"
  • tyrael64tyrael64 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70551Members
    what I feared...

That mean the Onos is near?

I hope that my Marine, can run faster!
  • WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
    And I prefer to play as a Marine - I am scared...
    Relax, boys. Strap on your jetpacks, and we'll fly over their heads.
    edited January 2012
    I have a question.

Since we have jetpacks soon, will we have new maps designed for that? - I mean, there are not a lot of places for an effective use of those devices.
    There is one large open area in ns2_summit, but what about tram? Or other maps. (And btw. there is still a map-design problem with open areas. Skulks can walk on these invisible walls and it is strange that lerks are blocked in their flying.

Will we have semi-open maps? I want ressource-tower points in a mars-like environments. Like in Doom 3.

Edit: And I hope that bunnyhoping for Marines will be disabled, somehow, once we have smooth framerates in the game. That looks just stupid.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1892825:date=Jan 6 2012, 12:53 PM:name=Wolpertinger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wolpertinger @ Jan 6 2012, 12:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892825"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have a question.

Since we have jetpacks soon, will we have new maps designed for that? - I mean, there are not a lot of places for an effective use of those devices.
    There is one large open area in ns2_summit, but what about tram? Or other maps. (And btw. there is still a map-design problem with open areas. Skulks can walk on these invisible walls and it is strange that lerks are blocked in their flying.

Will we have semi-open maps? I want ressource-tower points in a mars-like environments. Like in Doom 3.

Edit: And I hope that bunnyhoping for Marines will be disabled, somehow, once we have smooth framerates in the game. That looks just stupid.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Jetpacks increase your movement speed, I'm sure it will be pretty useful.
    You can try it by creating a local server and open the console and type this:
    cheats 1
    give jetpack

Maps like that will probably not be in the official maps, maybe a custom map.
    Also, ns2_mineshaft is coming, and it's larger than any of the existing maps.

Marines can't bunnyjump, neither can aliens. What game are you playing?
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    I reckon it won't be like the NS1-jetpack, but more something that facilitates long\high-jumps. If however it is just like in NS1, then yes all maps will need to be significantly reworked (some more than others).

As for the bunnyhopping on the marine-side, there is none. The only thing you can do to further curtail marine air-movement (on top of the slowdown-on-landing already in), would be to cripple jumping altogether.
    <!--quoteo(post=1892830:date=Jan 6 2012, 01:15 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Jan 6 2012, 01:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892830"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Marines can't bunnyjump, neither can aliens. What game are you playing?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It always looks stupid when a skulk is attacking a Marine and the Marine starts jumping like a retarded bunny in circles just to avoid being hit - that does not feel like those movies the NS universe is clearly based on. You should stand still and try to f***cking shoot the skulk with your weapon, not confuse him to death.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1892834:date=Jan 6 2012, 01:19 PM:name=Wolpertinger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wolpertinger @ Jan 6 2012, 01:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892834"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It always looks stupid when a skulk is attacking a Marine and the Marine starts jumping like a retarded bunny in circles just to avoid being hit - that does not feel like those movies the NS universe is clearly based on. You should stand still and try to f***cking shoot the skulk with your weapon, not confuse him to death.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you saw an alien in real life, I bet you would not stand still when it approaches you, even if you had a gun.
    Only a moron would stand still. People in movies are morons ;)
  • zombiehellmonkeyzombiehellmonkey Join Date: 2007-08-31 Member: 62093Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1892838:date=Jan 6 2012, 07:27 AM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Jan 6 2012, 07:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892838"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you saw an alien in real life, I bet you would not stand still when it approaches you, even if you had a gun.
    Only a moron would stand still. People in movies are morons ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hahahaha. You know the people who stand still when a skulk is trying to bite their feet never played skulk before ... :D
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    All I can say about jumping marines is keep track of where he is as an alien and you're golden. Well.. for some it's hard to follow when biting as a skulk, but you can get used to it =)
  • SaladienSaladien Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73286Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2012
    jumping is a problem in fps in general, would you jump if someone shoots at you? i wouldent :D the suit of marines is so heavy they cant even jump when they want to, its just annoying for the aliens and the marines should play in teams and stand their ground and kill them with teamplay and skill, with their weapons not their jumping skills :D
    please devs add something like a 5 seconds cooldown for jumping that would be greate and if someone is stuck on the map he could get out but the aliens would live longer because the jumping wouldent go on there nervs.
    Greetings Saladien
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1892884:date=Jan 6 2012, 08:40 PM:name=Saladien)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Saladien @ Jan 6 2012, 08:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892884"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the suit of marines is so heavy they cant even jump when they want to<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Excactly...

Just add a some kind of cooldown system. Where a Marine can not jump more than two times in a row.

<!--quoteo(post=1892838:date=Jan 6 2012, 01:27 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Jan 6 2012, 01:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892838"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you saw an alien in real life, I bet you would not stand still when it approaches you, even if you had a gun.
    Only a moron would stand still. People in movies are morons ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would like to see you jump around in real life like a f**king idiot. Yeah, you would run - but you would not drain your stamina even further by jumping all the time...
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Are we really using the realism-argument again?

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Saladien)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Saladien)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->please devs add something like a 5 seconds cooldown for jumping that would be grade<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Just kill me now.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Vertical gameplay is an important part of the ns experience. And a cooldown for something as vital to movement as jumping would just make the game feel sluggish and unresponsive.

The cs like slow on hit which was used before was terrible for aliens, but I would much prefer it if it was brought back for marines only. Would be something good to test.
    <!--quoteo(post=1892900:date=Jan 6 2012, 11:35 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jan 6 2012, 11:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892900"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The cs like slow on hit which was used before was terrible for aliens, but I would much prefer it if it was brought back for marines only. Would be something good to test.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In CS there was also this "slow on hitting ground" I think? (Haven't played CS in a looong time.)
    Fades and Gorges should also not be able to bunnyhop. Especially Gorges just look stupid when doing it.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    You should care less about the look and more about the feel. Don't expect movie aesthetics in a multiplayer fps game.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1892902:date=Jan 6 2012, 05:56 PM:name=Wolpertinger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wolpertinger @ Jan 6 2012, 05:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892902"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In CS there was also this "slow on hitting ground" I think? (Haven't played CS in a looong time.)
    Fades and Gorges should also not be able to bunnyhop. Especially Gorges just look stupid when doing it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There was a slow on hitting the ground effect added to cs so it would be harder to bhop, but ns2 doesn't have the same problem. As bhop and just plain jumping around are different problems.

I was referring to a slow effect upon taking physical damage. Where if you bit a marine he would be slowed down enough for consecutive bites instead of chasing him up and down the place. Would be great for whip defense and cat packs could negate the effect.
    ^ Slow-on-hit wouldn't be terrible, I guess. The marines would still be able to move around, aim, etc. just slower. I'd hope that if they did this, they'd increase backward movement speed though (70% perhaps, rather than the debilitating crawl that is 40%).
  • scottyscotty Join Date: 2011-07-01 Member: 107400Members
    Greetings IeptBarakat & Harimau ,

This has already been implemented and was thrown away due to the community finding it horrible for gameplay.

I myself share the same view as the community.

Cheers,

-Scott.C
    <!--quoteo(post=1892942:date=Jan 6 2012, 11:21 PM:name=scotty)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scotty @ Jan 6 2012, 11:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1892942"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Greetings IeptBarakat & Harimau ,

This has already been implemented and was thrown away due to the community finding it horrible for gameplay.

I myself share the same view as the community.

Cheers,

-Scott.C<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If I remember correctly it was only applied in one patch where it was both marine and alien slowdown on all forms of damage. Which of course, was horrible. As the aliens could never get to the marines.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Once you figure out the dance its quite enjoyable. Its not even hard to learn. And as celerity gets implemented and netcode/performance gets better jumping isn't going to be as effective as it is now.

You should have seen the movement system in NS1, and yet it was a hugely popular mod. NS2 is tame in comparison.

<!--QuoteBegin-"wolpertinger"+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ("wolpertinger")</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I would like to see you jump around in real life like a f**king idiot. Yeah, you would run - but you would not drain your stamina even further by jumping all the time...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And i would like to see you stand still and let dog aliens bite your legs off you gormless muppet. Or better yet try to jump in real life but inexplicably can't because you jumped in the last 5 seconds. You don't want to jump? then don't jump. Some of us want to jump, let us do so. Theres no reason to call people names just because they don't agree with you. Childish.

I hate this arguement that jumping should be restricted for realism and immersion with a passion. Argue why jumping is bad for gameplay (not realism) and I'm sure people would bother to take your opinion seriously. Even in the movies they will leap/dodge aside from something charging at them sheesh. Games are not movies.
  • nUfl0wnUfl0w Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42412Members
    a general rule one can apply (and I rest assured UWE does apply it):

<!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->fun to play and unrestricitve movement > realism<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

also like it was stated before: games are not movies. this comparison does simply not hold. (at least if you want to have fun to play a game and play it more than two hours before knowing everything and getting bored.)