Nymph

Comments

• ioprediopred Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17965Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1727268:date=Sep 15 2009, 09:58 AM:name=Vyshus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vyshus @ Sep 15 2009, 09:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727268"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->embyrs all the way, its what I'd call them when I first saw them. Glowies sounds too cute for war.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The first thing you'd think is to misspell embers with a y?

I'm all for 'Embers' I think that is a scifi enough name, while portraying their floaty nature.

That or "Zygote" ;)
  • XeZoXeZo Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58597Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    GLOWIES! :P

Who here didn't call the gorges "gorgie" or "piggie" (or something else that sounds cute'ish) at some point!?
  • Grunt MagnusGrunt Magnus Join Date: 2009-03-10 Member: 66687Members
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    edited December 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1742660:date=Dec 6 2009, 07:55 AM:name=iopred)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iopred @ Dec 6 2009, 07:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1742660"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The first thing you'd think is to misspell embers with a y?

I'm all for 'Embers' I think that is a scifi enough name, while portraying their floaty nature.

That or "Zygote" ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

While we're at it, we should change the Lerk's name back to Lurk, and the Onos back to Ohnos.

See where I'm going with this?
  • doesephdoeseph Join Date: 2009-11-22 Member: 69467Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2011
    Those names sound kinda lame.
  • muffinsmuffins Join Date: 2004-05-12 Member: 28638Awaiting Authorization, Constellation
    Get the marine voice from NS1 in your head.

Got it? Good.

"We got an embyr here."

vs

"We got a glowie here"

Yeah...
  • TerrTerr Arthritic Skulk Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7486Members
    IMO the ideal word would be "spores", except those are already taken by "spore cloud". Which may confuse players.

<!--quoteo(post=1742660:date=Dec 6 2009, 04:55 AM:name=iopred)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iopred @ Dec 6 2009, 04:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1742660"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The first thing you'd think is to misspell embers with a y?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's what you get after you stake vampyrs :P (I'm not really a fan of those kinds of creative mis-spellings.)
  • doesephdoeseph Join Date: 2009-11-22 Member: 69467Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1742719:date=Dec 6 2009, 01:44 PM:name=muffins)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(muffins @ Dec 6 2009, 01:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1742719"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Get the marine voice from NS1 in your head.

Got it? Good.

"We got an embyr here."

vs

"We got a glowie here"

Yeah...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you're assuming all the current Kharaa names were created by the Marines who encounter them then why would they misspell ember? It doesn't make sense. You really think they'd converse "You know... Embers doesn't look cool enough on paper, not enough "y"'s in it. Embyrs, there we go, fricken' bad ass." No, just no. Stop trying to force a cool sci-fi name by raping the english language by injecting letters in common words.

Hay' u guyz need a kewl sci-fy name?! kay! How bout

Glowyz
    Glowiz
    Flyers
    Stykies
    Parasytes
    lyttle wyngs
    floaterz
    Zenotypilifs
    Strobez
    zomfGALIENBATZ
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1742660:date=Dec 6 2009, 07:55 AM:name=iopred)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iopred @ Dec 6 2009, 07:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1742660"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The first thing you'd think is to misspell embers with a y?

That or "Zygote" ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    "Embyr" with a "y" is close to embryo which is why it is appealing. It matches in two ways.
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    edited December 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1742765:date=Dec 6 2009, 09:03 PM:name=doeseph)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(doeseph @ Dec 6 2009, 09:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1742765"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you're assuming all the current Kharaa names were created by the Marines who encounter them then why would they misspell ember? It doesn't make sense. You really think they'd converse "You know... Embers doesn't look cool enough on paper, not enough "y"'s in it. Embyrs, there we go, fricken' bad ass." No, just no. Stop trying to force a cool sci-fi name by raping the english language by injecting letters in common words.

Glowyz
    Glowiz
    Flyers
    Stykies
    Parasytes
    lyttle wyngs
    floaterz
    Zenotypilifs
    Strobez
    zomfGALIENBATZ<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes. We definitely need to change the Lerk and Onos names back. <_<
  • InkInk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68499Members
    How about like defilers, or like ultralisks, or maybe zerglings?
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    ^ 'the hell is wrong with Nymphs?
  • XeZoXeZo Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58597Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1742765:date=Dec 7 2009, 03:03 AM:name=doeseph)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(doeseph @ Dec 7 2009, 03:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1742765"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you're assuming all the current Kharaa names were created by the Marines who encounter them then why would they misspell ember? It doesn't make sense. You really think they'd converse "You know... Embers doesn't look cool enough on paper, not enough "y"'s in it. Embyrs, there we go, fricken' bad ass." No, just no. Stop trying to force a cool sci-fi name by raping the english language by injecting letters in common words.

Glowyz
    Glowiz
    Flyers
    Stykies
    Parasytes
    lyttle wyngs
    floaterz
    Zenotypilifs
    Strobez
    zomfGALIENBATZ<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ahah xD lol! <3
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    To heat the discussion back up, i see the third(?) episode of stargate universe right now.

BEASTIES.
  • UncleRayUncleRay Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70881Members
    edited March 2010
    Tanek - Polish for Immortal

Alida - Latin for Little winged one

Avis - Latin for Bird

Candra - Latin for Luminescent

Zuri - Swahili for Beautiful

Yuan - Chinese for "The Original"

<b>Bron - African for The Source

</b>Nabelung - African for Beautiful one
  • MortosMortos Join Date: 2006-11-28 Member: 58763Members
    I can't for the life of me figure out why people have such a problem with such a perfect name as nymphs for these things. If I had never heard of them before, that's probably what I'd end up calling them anyways. It's one syllable, so fast to say in combat, and it just works.

Do we think nymph is too hard to say in combat, that we'd need to 'shorten' it to glowies or whatever?
    Should we change onos to 'big rhino thing'?
    Gorge to 'fat waddler' ?
    Lerk to 'flyer' ?
  • s0ks0k Join Date: 2010-02-07 Member: 70473Members
    edited March 2010
    Ember is a great name because of what it implies. I think a good name should hint at what the subject matter is and what it represents. Ember, connotatively, is associated with danger and hazard. You think of them foreshadowing disaster; this is what "nymphs" currently do. The problem with the actual name nymph is that it's too abstract. Yes, it sounds very unique, and it has a wispy meaning that matches the nature of the what it's named after, but it says nothing about the inherent danger of it. Immediately, I think Disney movie or fairytale when I hear nymph.

Core elements of a game, in my opinion, should have names that just yell (or strongly hint) their purpose to you, you shouldn't have to stretch your imagination to make the connection. If someone tells you that a skulk is around the corner, that person wouldn't have to convey that it's a sneaky creature that strikes at you from the shadows, you would have <i>some </i>idea. Same with the lurk. If someone says there's nymphs in the room, to be on guard, you really have to stretch your imagination to associate hazard with the word nymph. One might argue that players will just learn the names with time, but I'm always in favor of the familiar over the unfamiliar, especially when it comes to helping newer players learn and identify elements of a game.

Also, spooks is a derogatory term, and marines would call them glowers long before they call them glowies.
  • friedricekidfriedricekid Join Date: 2009-09-29 Member: 68909Members
    i like sparks. or embers (embyrs), nymphs. something simple and effective, descriptive.

some of the suggestions are way ridiculous, i just imagine what a marine would call them, instead of the etymology behind it. they should have perhaps some technical scientific name ... like "Kharaa Proserpinus proserpina", but in terms of what they are commonly referred to... something simple.
  • ChopsChops UW Technical Artist (and Store Guy) Join Date: 2009-08-06 Member: 68373Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1704189:date=Apr 4 2009, 10:48 AM:name=cortex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cortex @ Apr 4 2009, 10:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1704189"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->drifts? anyone?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pay da man, heh
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I like Nymphs and glowies. Let's leave it at that.
  • o0OpsyphiO0oo0OpsyphiO0o Join Date: 2009-02-13 Member: 66389Members
    Lol, nymph as in 'nymphomaniac' or as in 'wood nymph'? Either way the erotic connotations are a bit sillly... Considering it's larvae we're talking about (unless you're into that kind of thing over at Unknown Worlds :P ). I think Gruhb is appropriate... what with them being grubs.
  • MortosMortos Join Date: 2006-11-28 Member: 58763Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1759950:date=Mar 18 2010, 11:20 PM:name=o0OpsyphiO0o)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (o0OpsyphiO0o @ Mar 18 2010, 11:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1759950"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lol, nymph as in 'nymphomaniac' or as in 'wood nymph'? Either way the erotic connotations are a bit sillly... Considering it's larvae we're talking about (unless you're into that kind of thing over at Unknown Worlds :P ). I think Gruhb is appropriate... what with them being grubs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nymph is the word for undeveloped insects and amphibians in the early stage of their development, exactly what we have here, plus the words conjure up images of lightness and flightiness.
    Grubs are small crawling maggot things.
    Also, adding extra h's, y's, w's or c's that don't change pronunciation would make us look like 12 year olds making a d&d character.
  • UncleRayUncleRay Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70881Members
    What about the simplest... sperm
  • madgunamadguna Join Date: 2010-03-19 Member: 71016Members
    So I've been thinking. The Marines would come up with a simple name based on their encounters with the entities. So I came up with a list of names I feel Marines would call these entities.

<b>Whisker</b> or <b>Vibrissa</b> - specialized hairs (or, in certain bird species, specialized feathers) usually employed for tactile sensation.
    <b>Angel</b> - messengers of God. (Alien God being the Hive)
    <b>Specter</b> - a visible disembodied spirit.
    <b>Roe</b> - is the fully ripe internal ovaries or egg masses of fish and certain marine animals, such as shrimp, scallop, and sea urchins.
    <b>Source</b> - is the start, beginning, or origin of something.
    <b>Spark</b> - is a small airborne ember or particle of red-hot matter.
    <b>Probe</b> - a device, or part of a device, used to explore, investigate or measure.
    <b>Watcher</b> - someone who watches or observes.
    <b>Ward</b> - The action of a watchman; monitoring, surveillance.
    <b>Harbinger</b> - A person or thing that foreshadows or foretells the coming of someone or something.
    <b>Pry</b> - Looking where one is not welcome.
  • AhnteisAhnteis teh Bob Join Date: 2002-10-02 Member: 1405Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    spores or seeds

I know they're usually for plants, but it seems to fit to me.
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    bloomer, nestling, Kharaaling ?
  • jamieshepherdjamieshepherd Join Date: 2009-09-04 Member: 68693Members
    I thought this thread died :(
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1760246:date=Mar 20 2010, 07:30 AM:name=Ahnteis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ahnteis @ Mar 20 2010, 07:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760246"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->spores or seeds

I know they're usually for plants, but it seems to fit to me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Reminds me to eufloria... good Idea, I like it :D
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    edited March 2010
    You guys are seriously out of 10 dollars it seems. :-)

Sparks, sprites, wisps. If they have any gameplay value, anything that's universally easy to pronounce.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1760290:date=Mar 20 2010, 07:55 PM:name=Jiriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jiriki @ Mar 20 2010, 07:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1760290"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If they have any gameplay value, anything that's universally easy to pronounce.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seconded

wisps <3