Natural Selection 2 News Update - Friday Update - Build 137 and Sound Montages

1235»

Comments

• WunschkindWunschkind Join Date: 2010-02-20 Member: 70658Members
    Well, let's hope Max answers your question regarding AA :)

About that checkerboard thing: I think you're talking about Anisotropic Filtering?
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2010
    ###### awesome.
    The alien sounds were ok (though the gorgie sounds cool), but the marine sounds blew my mind. I absolutely love it, and I love how it wasn't just light mechanical clacks and whirrs, but a deep, rich, full sound for nearly every piece of machinery. Even the organic sounds had this great rich feel.

Great job, Kamakaze, can't wait to match the visuals to your work.

edit:
    I can kinda see how some people say the "grenades" hitting the ground sound a little off. They sound less like hair spray and more like wooden blocks for children being tossed across a concrete floor.
  • mattoXmattoX Join Date: 2007-08-01 Member: 61739Members
    amazing! [;

its always brilliant to see people do so well in the career they put themselves in. the sounds are great, and simon should be very proud of himself, he is going to do well for himself if all his creations are like this.

you guys are doing really well, as always and keep it up!
    im getting a little sense of suspense/thriller to this game, its going to be quite scary with those sounds and a skulk running after you.

THX 16.1 ftw! ;)

another great post release, wd on being informative, im very impressed.
  • xtremecorextremecore Join Date: 2005-01-21 Member: 36506Members, Constellation
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    The new distress is really great... I wonder how he made that swoosh sound .... which sounds like a stargate chefron activated or something :P
  • Tom HoenTom Hoen Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68004Members
    I think I'm going to edit that new beacon sound to be my windows start or shutdown sound. "Holys**t, it's shutting dooooownnn!!!"
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Those sounds are amazing, very impressive, and I think it is a good move to not use sound libraries.

I don't agree with those who want more bass in the rifle at all. Respect your eardrums, people! I don't want to play a game where I can physically feel the soundwaves on my inner ear.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Went those through with proper headphones now. Especially the marine sounds are awesome.

I like the rifle sound as it is. It has already got a decent punch in it.

On aliens it was interesting to hear the bite sound followed by teeth grinding something metal. Hopefully the bite 'feedback' will be as cool and informative as it sounds there.
  • dr_nicdr_nic Join Date: 2007-05-21 Member: 60965Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1754186:date=Feb 20 2010, 05:26 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Feb 20 2010, 05:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754186"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Beacon sound is <b><i>iconic</b></i>. You might want to use this in trailers or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

100% agree. Its amazing - definitely should be in the next trailer/teaser
  • NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
    great work Simon, serious this dudes got his ###### together huge props too him.

as for AA
    <a href="http://www.gadgetguy.com.au/nvidia-geforce-3d-vision-review-154550-7.html" target="_blank">http://www.gadgetguy.com.au/nvidia-geforce...w-154550-7.html</a>
    just thinking ahead after seeing avatar in 3d and creaming my pants i think ns in 3d with some 8 way head phones would be some serious cool ###### up ###### that would haunt me for eternity
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    Why do the Alien and Marine montages match up so well played against each other?

That can't be coincidence.
  • ArianolArianol Join Date: 2010-01-02 Member: 69856Members
    Sounds are pleasant and exactly what I would expect for NS2. And I'm digging the new props.

As far as the AA debate goes....

<b>The higher your resolution, the less your need for antialiasing is going to be</b>. My gaming PC can't run most modern titles at the full resolution of my screen (1920x1200) without a noticeable drop in framerate, but if I drop it to a lower resolution and turn on AA, it will look better and run smoother.

In short, I will be very disappointed (and surprised) if NS2 doesn't support antialiasing. It's one of the biggest things I miss in console games. A huge argument for AA would be the Tomb Raider series. Look at the console versions (no AA) versus the PC version (AA turned on). ENORMOUS difference.
  • tyrael64tyrael64 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70551Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1754575:date=Feb 22 2010, 05:04 AM:name=Tom Hoen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tom Hoen @ Feb 22 2010, 05:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think I'm going to edit that new beacon sound to be my windows start or shutdown sound. "Holys**t, it's shutting dooooownnn!!!"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I also to, thank you for the idea

the sound, will be 5.1 channel true ?
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    when did we see the fade and the lerk? :(
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    I like how the guns don't sound like a gopher farting anymore.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    So the Khaara also have a Dynonichus? I definitely heard some Jurassic Park "Raptor" inspired sounds, which I like :P
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    WTB Clip of just the distress beacon to use as a "lvl 1 priority emails" ringtone! (work oncall :P)
  • ArfaceArface Join Date: 2004-04-13 Member: 27906Members
    ###### epic. Where's primal roar?

ROARRRR
  • simon kamakazisimon kamakazi Join Date: 2009-04-28 Member: 67296Members
    hey guys, !

glad u guys liked the sounds so much :)

so to answer a few questions,

- regarding ambient/music volume slider, it is definitly planned.

- guns are unfortunatly one element where i had to rely on some library sounds, recording guns properly is a huge undertaking, uhave to use multiple (up to 8 or so) mics to capture the echo part of the gun the early reflections ect, with the right (expencive) field recording gear, then u need guns (pretty sure semi automatics are illegal in .au) , need to book out the gun range, try to not get shot ect...

even many AAA games wont be recording their own guns. NS2 is indi and so it was definitly out of the scope for us to do this..
    that said i never use library sounds without processing layering. the rifle is using 7-9 layers with processing on each to hopefuly get them sounding unrecognisable as stock standard sounds .

- the rifle in that montage is actually an older itteration, current one does have abit more low end.
  • s0ks0k Join Date: 2010-02-07 Member: 70473Members
    edited February 2010
    While the guns are definitely the least unique sounding elements from the montage, they still sound like they have the same unique, atmospheric refinement as the rest of the sounds. The bass and kick sound fine to me, especially the first gun in the marine montage, but maybe it's my speaker setup.

Hope you guys keep the gorge sounds as is, they sound perfect.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1754689:date=Feb 22 2010, 06:20 PM:name=simon kamakazi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (simon kamakazi @ Feb 22 2010, 06:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754689"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- the rifle in that montage is actually an older itteration, current one does have abit more low end.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Excellent stuff. The sounds are defiantly of a very high quality. Great work! =) We cant wait to play and hear them!
  • IronFistIronFist Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58805Members
    I am pretty sure I heard me some bacon in clip 2, and it sent chills down my spine!
  • SekerSeker Join Date: 2007-03-06 Member: 60259Members
    Yes there is some bacon, anyways it makes me feel like "last chance" :O
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    Re: sound montage...

**** me I'm <i><b>there!</b></i>

The bacon sound towards the end got me even more pumped for NS2! It sounds like the beginning to some sort of crazy-skills frag vid!

One request: please let us turn off the ambient sounds at the start of the level. Please understand I really appreciate the mood anf feel they add to the game for newcomers and people who just dig the vibe, but for competitive play you should be able to turn them off via a menu instead of having to resort to a 'stopsound'-style debug command.
  • EltaxEltax Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68967Members
    That was awsome, very impressed of the sound quality :O
  • TagertsweTagertswe Join Date: 2010-03-04 Member: 70825Members
    oh my god!
    those sound effects are scary :o