Natural Selection 2 News Update - Friday Update - Build 137 and Sound Montages

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Man, this stuff is amazing. Basically perfect in my mind. NS had awesome sounds and it's a tough act to follow but these three montages didn't miss a beat. I'm pumped.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    Wow, those are some very very impressive sounds. As has been said, if the game sucks we have good sounds at least :P
  • spacedanielspacedaniel Join Date: 2009-11-11 Member: 69348Members
    MG sounds really nice, heavy yet distinct. Satisfaction guaranteed :)
    Beacon - bulls eye, mate!

Overall impression - friggin awesome!
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    Oh btw simon your music is awesome.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    Alright, I can't contain it. I'm posting again. The distress beacon sound is incredible. Again.

The lighting, the sounds, the graphics. If everything is as polished gameplay wise...My god you guys. Amazing.
  • SqueeboSqueebo Join Date: 2008-02-04 Member: 63580Members
    Awesome sound effects!
  • FTNPhoenixFTNPhoenix Join Date: 2008-10-31 Member: 65340Members
    Okay, so let me just say this. I started playing in November 2002. I've played every version of NS1 from 1.04 on. I started following NS2 when you guys started posting information back in 2006. I've been waiting almost 8 years for this sequel now, and it seems like you guys are so close to releasing the alpha.

It's killing me. I hate to ask, but please, can you give ANY kind of timeline at all? I mean, should we expect the alpha in weeks or months still? I wouldn't ask except it seems the whole team is now working on coding the game itself and (maybe?) play testing, and I've told all my friends to preorder because the alpha's coming out soon.

Actually, I told them that last fall. I thought the alpha would come out Halloween when I preordered MY copy last MAY. They've been pestering me ever since asking when the alpha comes out, and now I'm asking you.

When's the alpha coming out?
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    That new beacon is flipping gritty as hell, and I love it. The marine sounds are very 'Aliens' which I'm also digging.

The idea of a non-repetitive creepy hive noise ain't too bad either.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    Those alien sounds were epic. Simon, you are the right person for the job. Marine sounds seem less interesting because we've all heard a million different gun sounds, but these ones sound pretty damn unique. I had a nerdgasm when I heard the new distress beacon.

I got some good laugh when I read how the new sounds were made. Sounds pretty ghetto. The results are anything but ghetto, however. Great Job!
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    really good job Simon, love your work
    a quick tip, play Marine + Ambient montage and Alien montage at the same time and close ur eyes, Man it feels like I am right there and playin the game :D try it!
  • yodayoda Join Date: 2003-11-27 Member: 23619Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sounds great, love the marine sounds especially. I think the squelchy sounds in the marine track are the dynamic infestation that gets owned by the flamethrower. I think the DI sound is perfect. Great work!
  • XerondXerond Undefined Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29817Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    *Jaw Drops*

Wow, awesome job Simon. This stuff seriously sends chills down my spine. Can't wait to hear this stuff in-game.

*EDIT* Hah, just noticed you're into producing psytrance! Cool stuff, no wonder you're awesome with sound effects!!
  • DeeDee Canada Join Date: 2002-12-15 Member: 10836Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
  • CowTsignCowTsign Join Date: 2005-01-18 Member: 36215Members
    Very nice. I'm looking forward to the game even more now...
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The new distress call is simply effing awesome.
    I'll add it as my logon and shutdown sound given the chance (i usually run with a silent windows).
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1754142:date=Feb 19 2010, 08:29 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Feb 19 2010, 08:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754142"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The guns, as others have mentioned before, sound a little weak. I think the problem might be that they don't have enough of the bass kick. It's why a lot of them sound so weak.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I have to disagree on this, but I guess that's all about personal preference and what kind of speakers/headphones you are using. To me they sound fine (except the one at 0:16, but I'm guessing that's a shot far away from the player), especially the shotgun and the grenade launcher. For me, they both have enough "bass kick" like you say, not too low to get sub-woofers to go crazy-earthquake style, but enough to feel the kickback. While adding more bass to a weapon do make it sound meaner, it has to make sense too. I mean, if the LMG sounds like the ultimate apocalypse bringer but you need to unload half a clip to take down a single skulk, then it feels wrong. That's the feeling I get with the SMG in HL2 for example; it sounds way "fatter" than the other weapons yet deals mediocre damage.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1754166:date=Feb 20 2010, 03:37 AM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rammaj @ Feb 20 2010, 03:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754166"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->really good job Simon, love your work
    a quick tip, play Marine + Ambient montage and Alien montage at the same time and close ur eyes, Man it feels like I am right there and playin the game :D try it!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That works out so well that I kind of wonder if it was intended :p
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    The marine sounds do remind me a bit of Aliens. Not entirely blown away by it. I need some visual aids to fully appreciate them. The one that really stood out though, is the beacon sound. It's much grittier, and more urgent, and its great.

Aliens sound very appropriate. Like I'm walking through a zoo of them. A very creepy zoo.
  • MegahaloMegahalo Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33009Members
    Incredible sound effects. Simply amazing. Mind is now blown.
  • kyliegirlkyliegirl Gorge Master Australia Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10586Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love these sounds, excellent feel to them. I am very glad we have a local aussie contributing to this masterpiece, and great selection, the sounds and music are believable and give off so much feeling and life. I cant believe how brilliant these were and I really felt like I could see the hive and the marines shooting.

I also have to say great idea to add vending machines, they might sound pointless to some but the way I see it, it gives a great touch to a map as it then feels like the marines have been based in this area for quite some time and have placed some commodities around for everyday use.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2010
    Really great job with the sound :) Very very impressive. The Beacon sound is <b><i>iconic</b></i>. You might want to use this in trailers or something.

Also, I agree with 1 or 2 of the others, the marine gun sounds are good, but need a bit more of a bass-kick. Apart from that, sounds are pretty much spot-on.

Awesome stuff, looking forward to playing soon! :)
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1754129:date=Feb 19 2010, 07:56 PM:name=enf0rcer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (enf0rcer @ Feb 19 2010, 07:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It sounded like you used a reversed clip of your own voice (starting at :50 in the alien montage). It didn't sound bad but I think reversed sounds stick out like a sore thumb. Especially when you went to such lengths to modify and synth everything else so well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Shoot, now that you mention it, I noticed that too, and sticks out.

Other than that though, incredible.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited February 2010
    Wonderful sounds, i am excited to hear the speech sounds.
    The screen looks fun too.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    edited February 2010
    I think I heard a hydralisk in there (around the 50 sec mark, alien montage)
  • PantZmanPantZman Join Date: 2009-05-29 Member: 67540Members
    <i>Sounds</i> great!

Think I heard a grenade launcher in there. Pop - pop - bang bang. :)
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited February 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1754180:date=Feb 20 2010, 05:40 AM:name=Atone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Atone @ Feb 20 2010, 05:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754180"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That works out so well that I kind of wonder if it was intended :p<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    easter egg maybe? :D
    more ppl should try it!
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1754185:date=Feb 20 2010, 05:23 AM:name=kyliegirl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kyliegirl @ Feb 20 2010, 05:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754185"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also have to say great idea to add vending machines, they might sound pointless to some but the way I see it, it gives a great touch to a map as it then feels like the marines have been based in this area for quite some time and have placed some commodities around for everyday use.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I thought of it more as hinting at the people / daily life that used to be in the ship/station, before the TSA had to board to handle the threat. Gives the impression that these ships are more than just automated factories in the sky - people lived there. But that's all up to the mapper, I guess. :D
  • korvokorvo Join Date: 2009-11-19 Member: 69427Members, Squad Five Blue
    Amazing sounds - hitting the bull's-eye with an incredible sound-quality. Really professional work.

Impressing.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Absolutely amazing.
    Please make thousands of them!!
  • MildlyMadMildlyMad Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69933Members
    Sounds great, I prefere these improvisations over the common sound libraries.
    Looking forward to more! :D