Natural Selection 2 News Update - Friday Update - Build 137 and Sound Montages

MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - Friday Update - Build 137 and Sound Montages here

Comments

• FuzionMonkeyFuzionMonkey Join Date: 2005-05-04 Member: 50889Members
    edited February 2010
    Wow, these sound are great! Just from listening to these I really get the feel of the NS2 atmosphere.

Are the gun sounds from a commercial library or did you make them yourselves?

I think I will miss the old beacon sound though. But if I heard correctly you are re-using a couple of gorge sounds :)
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2010
    Sounds = Mind Blown

The editor has some bugs now though.

When using just about any tool everything goes black.
  • friedricekidfriedricekid Join Date: 2009-09-29 Member: 68909Members
    sounds were TOTALLY awesome.
  • WarLoverWarLover Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69276Members
    Amazing sound quality.
  • CricketCricket Join Date: 2009-05-31 Member: 67603Members
    Amazing sounds! I really loved the alien noises, I'm assuming that one kind of squawky-honk in there was a gorge. At least I think that's what a gorge would sound like. Stuff like this gets me so excited to try the game out. Great update!
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1754115:date=Feb 20 2010, 01:23 AM:name=Cricket)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cricket @ Feb 20 2010, 01:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1754115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Amazing sounds! I really loved the alien noises, I'm assuming that one kind of squawky-honk in there was a gorge. At least I think that's what a gorge would sound like. Stuff like this gets me so excited to try the game out. Great update!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The gorge makes a noise in the Alpha trailer. I believe it's the same one.
  • ChuckstarNLChuckstarNL Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23446Members
    WOW! The sounds are so awesome! My favorite is the alarm sound, it sounds so dramatic without blowing your ears off.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    Simon looks like the lost twin brother of someone I went to high school with, even down to the headband.

Anyway, sound makes a big difference in games, and I can't wait to hear these in game. The alien attack sounds were really satisfying.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    That distress beacon sound is so frantic I love it. I'll probably freak out the first time I hear it in game.

Also that shotgun blast at the beginning had some meat to it. I hope the feel of the sg matches up.
  • PampelmusePampelmuse Join Date: 2005-04-06 Member: 47641Members
    the samples are amazing <3
  • NeutralX2NeutralX2 Join Date: 2007-06-29 Member: 61421Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Wow, I am really impressed.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    Effects sound great! I have a comment about the ambient music but would like to know the authors thoughts on the matter. Is there any way I can contact him?
  • s0ks0k Join Date: 2010-02-07 Member: 70473Members
    edited February 2010
    Kamakazi was definitely the right guy for the job. I'm really impressed. For being new creations, the sounds maintain that classic feel -- what we expect from shooters -- but they have this sense of sharp urgency to them. The sense of urgency you'd expect from an aesthetically dark, fast-paced game like Natural Selection. Artistic consistency throughout a game is really important to me, the different elements need to work together, and I feel like you guys are nailing it.

Anyway, keep up the great work.
  • nadylinadyli Join Date: 2007-11-01 Member: 62791Members, Squad Five Blue
    Amazing stuff, can't wait to hear them in-game.
  • S_BadguyS_Badguy Join Date: 2003-12-03 Member: 23925Members
    Excellent sounding. I really hope there are some good distressful marine death sounds to push immersion further!
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great job Kamakazi, if you were closer to Canada, i'd ask you out on a mandate, and talk to you about NS2 and the works. :)
  • enf0rcerenf0rcer intrigued... Join Date: 2003-03-16 Member: 14584Members
    Oh sound libraries, stalker was so bad for that... what horrible sound effects it had. This on the other hand is great. I love that your (Simon's) printer, CD player, fruit mutilations are going to be in the game. I bet foley stuff is fun to do.. SMASH IT WITH A HAMMER.

It sounded like you used a reversed clip of your own voice (starting at :50 in the alien montage). It didn't sound bad but I think reversed sounds stick out like a sore thumb. Especially when you went to such lengths to modify and synth everything else so well.

also I thought I heard a Tauntaun... :P
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    Great stuff thank you for the update. Nearly feels like old times with the audio casts :)
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    As much as I was hoping for a lerk reveal, this is pretty satisfying. Even if you completely fail to deliver on the game play, at least we know it's going to look and sound great. :p
  • linfosomalinfosoma Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67523Members
    That was so good, sound is so important, and you nailed it.

The only problem is that this doesn't makes the wait any easier :(
  • WarLoverWarLover Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69276Members
    I almost had a heart attack when i heard the beacon.
    Talk about epic.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    Literally, that Distress Beacon type sound was eargasmic. So good guys. So good.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Everything sounds awesome. Hopefully there will be a reason to keep the ambient track enabled (for gameplay purposes) after you're used to the sounds. I like how L4D handled this where you know when certain things are coming via the music.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    I really enjoyed all the sounds.

*Ambient Music reminds me a bit of Eric Serra´s score for the Fifth Element (really good score).

*My favorite sound was the Marine new distress beacon. Really looking forward to seeing the weapons animations that go with these sounds.

*My favorite montage was the alien one. I really felt like I could have been deep into alien territory walking by their buildings with aliens running by and attacking.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    This is just spot-on!
    Eargasm recieved!
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    These sounds are so intense. I hope the ambient noises aren't too distracting in game (in NS1 I had to turn off music and stuff because it made it too hard to focus on shooting stuff). I love the sounds of the aliens.

The guns, as others have mentioned before, sound a little weak. I think the problem might be that they don't have enough of the bass kick. It's why a lot of them sound so weak.
  • McRedMcRed Join Date: 2005-01-08 Member: 33744Members
    That's some really impressive audio, especially the distress beacon. It really provoked a sense of a panic upon hearing it.
  • NyfNyf Join Date: 2010-02-07 Member: 70468Members
    So. Excellent. I love the sounds of the Kharaa, they sound both disgusting and menacing, which I think its hard to capture both. The sounds of the guns are great, they aren't too realistic but they still sound excellent and I think fit in really well with the environment. I love some of the ambient noises; I can't wait to hear these in game. Nothing is distracting, it just all makes for good background. The alarm at the end of the marines video made me feel an extreme sense of urgency, so that was superbly done.
    All in all this just proves how much time and thought is going into all of the aspects of this game; if you use the kind of love used to make the sounds in the rest of the game as well, this is going to be just what I think most of us are hoping it will be.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    I didn't care for the first sound montage (ambient only) but the last two (the player sound effects) were absolutely amazing.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    Sounds pretty cool.
    Did I hear a fade swipe?