A Win for Gamplay and Immersion Factor

Whiskey-Tango-FoxtrotWhiskey-Tango-Foxtrot Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58116Members
<div class="IPBDescription">No more bunny-hopping marines \o/</div><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We haven't decided exactly what's happening here but we can all agree on a few things: Skulks should have skill-based movement and we don't want marines jumping around like crazy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you so very much I agree wholeheartedly.

I'm so happy I'm tearing up because from what I recall at least 1/3 of my time spent on these forums, back in the day, was arguing about Marine bunny hopping with clanners.

Comments

• Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    No more? In NS1 marines can't bunnyhop - except with catalyst.
    So it's not really a change, it has been that way for ages.
  • EddieEddie Join Date: 2004-10-22 Member: 32412Members, Constellation
    I think this will include strafe jumps (where a rine could jump backwards/foreward faster then a skulk could run), double jumps, and inclined bhoping.
  • Whiskey-Tango-FoxtrotWhiskey-Tango-Foxtrot Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58116Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1717955:date=Jul 18 2009, 09:32 PM:name=Eddie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eddie @ Jul 18 2009, 09:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717955"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this will include strafe jumps (where a rine could jump backwards/foreward faster then a skulk could run), double jumps, and inclined bhoping.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

*crosses fingers*

Charlie revealed something very interesting in one of the twitters about coding the movement in the game engine and how it produces effects that allows for those things to be possible.

I wonder if that has to do with Maths or maybe the current technology of game engines or physics model, I'd like to hear more about that sounds interesting.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The strafejumping we know was a bug in the quake/hl engine, that someone must've found while jumping eradicaly around.
    As you surely know how it works you should be able to figure out what the calculations in question are.
  • HiVeFisHHiVeFisH Join Date: 2004-10-07 Member: 32135Members
    I think its gonna be big loss for ns2 if they really remove the complet movement possibilities marines had.
    I really dont wanna walk through the hall rooms just pressing w and from time to time shift to sprint.

The movement marines had in ns1 made every route through the map unique. Even after running rine start -> topo (ns_veil) tons of times its not the same thing.

<!--quoteo(post=1717955:date=Jul 18 2009, 04:32 PM:name=Eddie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eddie @ Jul 18 2009, 04:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717955"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this will include strafe jumps (where a rine could jump backwards/foreward faster then a skulk could run), double jumps, and inclined bhoping.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And whats so bad about that? You couldnt shoot while doing it and the skulk is faster if he bhops. This is pretty balanced and adds a few tricks to lern if u want to master the game.
  • PrefixPrefix Éirinn go Brách Join Date: 2006-12-31 Member: 59353Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1718073:date=Jul 19 2009, 11:04 AM:name=HiVeFisH)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HiVeFisH @ Jul 19 2009, 11:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718073"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think its gonna be big loss for ns2 if they really remove the complet movement possibilities marines had.
    I really dont wanna walk through the hall rooms just pressing w and from time to time shift to sprint.

The movement marines had in ns1 made every route through the map unique. Even after running rine start -> topo (ns_veil) tons of times its not the same thing.

And whats so bad about that? You couldnt shoot while doing it and the skulk is faster if he bhops. This is pretty balanced and adds a few tricks to lern if u want to master the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For once, ladies and gentlemen, I agree with a kraut.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    If they remove the marine's bunny hop they also remove a very large component to being a excellent marine. Knowing the map architecture and knowing how to move to jump off rails / keep momentum all while tracking a skulk was one of the hardest tasks. From the sound of it, they may have also removed bunny hop from the skulk since they've added leap as a hive 1 ability. If I was a developer, I'd be really hard pressed to say my game requires movement skill when the only thing I can point to is a leap ability.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    It's not in UWE's interest to add advanced movement skills as you get people like Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot posting things like "I recall at least 1/3 of my time spent on these forums, back in the day, was arguing about Marine bunny hopping with clanners." There's a lot of people in his camp who get games dumbed down, but in NS's case there aren't many people who wouldn't be prepared to sacrifice a bit of depth for a learning curve. UWE need to find an impossible balance of easy-to-play-hard-to-master style. I think TF2 got as close as possible.

UWE keep talking about a replacement bhop skill with as much depth and an easier learning curve. Sounds like a holy grail, fingers crossed!
  • Frogg2Frogg2 Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4867Members, Constellation
    I thought maybe someone resurrected a thread from 2003
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    I just hope marines can still jump for getting on top of structures and whatever obstacle is in a map.

I don't want ns2 so be perfectly clean hallways like we're fighting on the enterprise.

Maybe marines can have the ability to sprint and tumble and dive and rolls and leaning around corners and just plain pointing your gun around a corner and shooting using the guns camera sight lol
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I really like how you can play the similar situation in many ways by using various combinations of aim and movement. It always kept me thinking if I could have played a situation different and done better.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    We have yet to see if it is "dead" or not.
  • todd1Oktodd1Ok Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28018Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited July 2009
    Removing marine "bunnyhop" (this comment alone makes me think that you have little experience with the game itself). will negativly impact the game. I'd hardly call strafe jumping back down a hallway after baiting a skulk "bunnyhopping". Marine skill based movement is an integral part of being a good marine. In a post not two long ago i made the argument that good alien skulking is the ability to ambush well and bunnyhop at a marine down a long corridor, and for marines, good aiming and the ability to dodge a skulk when he's up close and personal. Removing skill based movement for marines is a bad idea, and will hurt NS2 on the whole. This still applies. Win for immersion? How so exactly? If you seen something akin to a dog with massive teeth running at you full speed, would you not try to jump out of the way? roll maybe? A skulk takes 10 bullets with inate regen to kill. At point blank range the skulk can bite twice before the tenth bullet is fired, assuming all bullets hit. The marine has no chace to survive if the skulk successfully ambushes him. This is an FPS, a game based on skill and quick reactions. fact is if you remove the marines ability to jump around and get away from said skulk, you remove all skill from the equation. And in a skill based game, this is not the way forward. This will negativly impact gamplay. (sic)
  • briktalbriktal Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20021Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1718229:date=Jul 20 2009, 09:55 AM:name=todd1Ok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (todd1Ok @ Jul 20 2009, 09:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718229"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Removing marine "bunnyhop" (this comment alone makes me think that you have little experience with the game itself). will negativly impact the game. I'd hardly call strafe jumping back down a hallway after baiting a skulk "bunnyhopping". Marine skill based movement is an integral part of being a good marine. In a post not two long ago i made the argument that good alien skulking is the ability to ambush well and bunnyhop at a marine down a long corridor, and for marines, good aiming and the ability to dodge a skulk when he's up close and personal. Removing skill based movement for marines is a bad idea, and will hurt NS2 on the whole. This still applies. Win for immersion? How so exactly? If you seen something akin to a dog with massive teeth running at you full speed, would you not try to jump out of the way? roll maybe? A skulk takes 10 bullets with inate regen to kill. At point blank range the skulk can bite twice before the tenth bullet is fired, assuming all bullets hit. The marine has no chace to survive if the skulk successfully ambushes him. This is an FPS, a game based on skill and quick reactions. fact is if you remove the marines ability to jump around and get away from said skulk, you remove all skill from the equation. And in a skill based game, this is not the way forward. This will negativly impact gamplay. (sic)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, in reality jumping around like crazy probably isn't the best idea, since you can't change directions mid-air.

~~Sickle~~
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Removing marine "bunnyhop" (this comment alone makes me think that you have little experience with the game itself)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

BunnyHopping is not strafejumping alone. It's a glitch used to bypass the speedlimit the character has to gain more momentum, not only evation. At least *I* think that's the point here.
    Well, maybe it will discourage marines from jumping up and down like super mario on crack, but as I wrote, I doubt that's their goal.
    Taking this off-topic, but if I was in TSA equipment development team, I'd definitely consider developing some kind of spring shoes that allow you to dodge melee based attacks like that. Who cares about some new body armor when you can dodge the whole attack!
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    Do we really need this overall... i mean it's going to look like everyone is a static clone walking down a hallway in single file and dieing one after another like a bunch of lemmings.

Games where you can't jump do not feel immersive to the endusers. Can make the game feel even more frustrating.
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1718272:date=Jul 20 2009, 01:07 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jul 20 2009, 01:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718272"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do we really need this overall... i mean it's going to look like everyone is a static clone walking down a hallway in single file and dieing one after another like a bunch of lemmings.

Games where you can't jump do not feel immersive to the endusers. Can make the game feel even more frustrating.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    "not jumping around like crazy" != "can't jump"

And as to your second statment, check out <a href="https://www.digipen.edu/fileadmin/website_data/gallery/game_websites/NarbacularDrop/" target="_blank">Narbacular Drop</a>
  • MikeyTWolfMikeyTWolf Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67665Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1718272:date=Jul 20 2009, 07:07 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jul 20 2009, 07:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718272"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do we really need this overall... i mean it's going to look like everyone is a static clone walking down a hallway in single file and dieing one after another like a bunch of lemmings.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1. Meatshields FTW.

2. If everyone went their own way as opposed to single file, only one person would get anywhere fast (assuming they all have a chance).

3. If NS2 will have wider corridors by simply de-clustering the walls and sticking out doorways etc. in corridors go in 2 by 2 formation. Works in L4D, if you're actually trying to play the game for an experience as opposed to solo gauntlet race competition (reason why I quit Versus, it's insane when one person can become untouchable, let alone all four of them).

4. Bhop won't change the fact everyone will be walking down corridors single file like static clone lemmings. That would be down to weapons equipped, models, animation quality, personalities etc. Only thing Bhop will change is how fast they move.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    edited July 2009
    They are not removing jumping from the marines , just the [ speed exploit / speed skill tech ] where you time your jumps when stafing to move faster than your character was programmed to.
    You will still be able to jump to the side to avoid a skulk, jump up and onto stuff.
    The marines strength comes from them acting as a unit using thier superiority in range to cover fellow marines while advancing into hostile territory ... not bouncing into a hive area like a pack of hyperactive kindergarten kids on pogosticks.
    Its the aliens strength to move better and faster than the enemy that they must use to overcome the marines, ambush and charge is the aliens main tactics.

Theres plenty of twitch based , bounce around FPS games already ... prehaps a game where bouncing around like a loon doesnt give you any tactical advantage is needed, then you wont rush by yourself and prehaps work with teammates...clear the corridors, sweep the corners, check the dark spots and watch the rear.

Least thats my opinion , and experience..when I used to play NS 1 with my little community there was very little to no bouncing about...except last sec jumping to the side to avoid a skulks teeth, and more tactical squad play... you would be amazed how natural it was to run from cover to cover with a teammate all without actually needing to tell each other that you will cover his move, and he must cover your move.
    Oh , and no there was no rule saying you couldnt bounce about...it just never seemed to occur for some reason... fun old days.
  • boobs!boobs! Old-School Competitor Join Date: 2002-11-13 Member: 8504Members
    hah, the "fun old-days"

NS1 was extremely fun and challenging to play, until the pub-nubs voice got heard one too many times, and things started changing. When I started playing NS (in 2002) I had just left playing TFC fanatically and competitively, so of course I knew how to bhop and exploit every little movement skill in the game. It was fun, but yes the marines were pretty overpowered (which you can tell in some of the old videos of clan matches in 1.04).

Flash forward to today, in NS1 you can only strafejump (i won't call it bhop because it's not) up inclines, or when stimpacked. The reason exploits like bhop and sj exist is the nescessity of being faster. How is it fun to plod slowly down a hallway at one set speed awaiting an ambush or just trying to get to your teammates before they're all killed? Not at all. But if I can somehow move faster then I will do that as much as possible to keep me playing the game. The sad thing is, as easy as it is/was to bhop, most players can't grasp it, and cry wolf. It looks ridiculous I agree, but unless I can have some sort of movement options besides +jump and +forward,back,strafe left, strafe right, etc. I'm going to call for bhopping of some sort to be in. And no holding shift and watching a sprint meter refill isn't my idea of a good time either.
    <!--quoteo(post=1718421:date=Jul 21 2009, 09:19 AM:name=boobs!)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (boobs! @ Jul 21 2009, 09:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718421"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The reason exploits like bhop and sj exist is the nescessity of being faster. How is it fun to plod slowly down a hallway at one set speed awaiting an ambush or just trying to get to your teammates before they're all killed? Not at all. But if I can somehow move faster then I will do that as much as possible to keep me playing the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<u>Again, I don't understand this speed argument. If you need to bhop because otherwise it is too slow, then maybe marines just need to be faster.</u>

~~Sickle~~
    <!--quoteo(post=1718424:date=Jul 21 2009, 01:36 PM:name=briktal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (briktal @ Jul 21 2009, 01:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718424"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Again, I don't understand this speed argument. If you need to bhop because otherwise it is too slow, then maybe marines just need to be faster.

~~Sickle~~<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think it is about giving good situational speed bursts while still keeping the game otherwise at very reasonable speeds. You can't aim while using the movement skills, the surroundings can be used creatively, it requires some space and timing to do and you can't regain any lost momentum instantly. All in all it's a lot more interesting, creative and challenging than just pressing forward/strafe to get to high speeds.

I think in NS' case it was also a good way to balance the game as it added more challenge to the skilled players while the game speed at lower skills still stayed at more reasonable level. The problems started kicking in when the skilled players get mixed up with a lot less skilled players. With servers of various skill levels the game would probably have had a lot more positive gain from the system.
    <!--quoteo(post=1718432:date=Mar 30 1876, 10:05 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Mar 30 1876, 10:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718432"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it is about giving good situational speed bursts while still keeping the game otherwise at very reasonable speeds. You can't aim while using the movement skills, the surroundings can be used creatively, it requires some space and timing to do and you can't regain any lost momentum instantly. All in all it's a lot more interesting, creative and challenging than just pressing forward/strafe to get to high speeds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<u>I don't think movement really needs to be particularly "interesting, creative, and challenging." However at the moment whenever I try to think of an "advanced sprint" movement for marines I can only think of Mirror's Edge and it'd just be silly to have marines wall running/jumping, vaulting over railings and sliding under pipes.</u>

~~Sickle~~
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    I repeat my argument that its the Kharaas strength to be fast and manouverable , to counter the Marines range superiority. The marines should be relying on keeping the Kharaa out of bite range, and watching out for the ambushes... not 'oh cra ' and bounce out of trouble.

I consider the Marines in NS the same as the marines in Aliens (2), covering fellow marines and preparing for ambushes, using advance and hold techniques in a deliberate organised manner... not clumping up as a group and reacting only when attacked.

The Kharaas worst enemy is a organised Marine assualt, the Marines worst enemy is a break up of that organisation.
  • tjosantjosan Join Date: 2003-05-16 Member: 16374Members, Constellation
    This debate has taken a wrong turn somewhere. I dislike how it seems it's either "bouncing pogo sticks" or playing smart. That's simply not true, it's not an either or. A smart marine (team) will still beat one solo death matching, that's not the issue.

Imo, movement skills like strafe jumping and wall strafing etc, give you a way to by skill and experience including deeper map knowledge increase speed at the cost of safety. If you need to get somewhere quickly, you opt for a faster way of moving which would give you less of a chance to recover in case of an ambush. The beauty of it is that it's not a binary system of sprinting or not (one of the only proposed substitutions), it's a fluid system where you can pick and choose different movement techniques, and the intensity with which to use them, to suit the situation.

Running MS -> double through topo every time you respawn (an example someone already gave) would be a huge breaker of immersion for me if I didn't have an immersive way of traveling faster/shorter/safer.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1718451:date=Jul 21 2009, 12:07 PM:name=tjosan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tjosan @ Jul 21 2009, 12:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718451"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This debate has taken a wrong turn somewhere.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think you should give this thread the dignity of being called a debate; all it ever was about was poking sticks into a hornets' nest.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Running MS -> double through topo every time you respawn (an example someone already gave) would be a huge breaker of immersion for me if I didn't have an immersive way of traveling faster/shorter/safer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And bouncing like a maniac for no visual reason is better, yes sir! o7
  • fwd-Randomfwd-Random Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11618Members
    The original marine BH was rightfully removed, but I hope they keep a decent level of standard jumping for marines.

I am disappointed that BH has been removed from aliens aswell?. That really would be a knife in the heart for aliens both for skill and fun. The NS1 skulk was basically designed from the ground up to be movement based and the skill curve was long and rewarding.
    There really is no good reason to not include it again either.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1718494:date=Jul 21 2009, 08:20 PM:name=fwd-Random)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fwd-Random @ Jul 21 2009, 08:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1718494"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am disappointed that BH has been removed from aliens aswell?. That really would be a knife in the heart for aliens both for skill and fun. The NS1 skulk was basically designed from the ground up to be movement based and the skill curve was long and rewarding.
    There really is no good reason to not include it again either.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

2 words:
    noob friendly